Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Crysis -- does it still hold up in 2010?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Crysis -- does it still hold up in 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Crysis -- does it still hold up in 2010?

It probably won't be released as an Arcade title but as a Games on Demand title. They can be whatever size. In fact, the download will probably be bigger than what one DVD-9 could hold anyway.
Old 09-13-11, 06:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trailer of the 360 version:

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:720428" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed>

Get More: GameTrailers.com, Crysis - Exclusive Debut PS3/Xbox 360 Trailer HD, PC Games, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Someone posted a comparison video of the 360 trailer to the PC running on highest settings.

Part 1 of comparison:

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hsBU0b-0klE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 2 of comparison:

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YnTSj4f20Js" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also a comparison of the 360 trailer to the PC running on lowest settings.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yLkcZSp6kq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It looks a lot better on console than I thought it would. It isn't as good as the highest PC settings, but it is better than the lowest settings. My guess is that the console version is running at the equivalent of medium settings at 640p.
Old 09-13-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Yeah... That was my guess last year

Considering the 360 pre-dates Crysis by a couple years, I'm kind of surprised 1) it took this long and 2) that it actually looks quite good.
Old 09-13-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Pretty graphics aside, is the game actually any good? Or is all it's hype soley centred on the heavy requirements to play it on its highest graphics setting?
Old 09-13-11, 09:16 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Pretty graphics aside, is the game actually any good? Or is all it's hype soley centred on the heavy requirements to play it on its highest graphics setting?
its a good game..I actually thought the game was still good when it changed later in the game(minority I know)...and I love the open ways you can attack objectives....I would have given it an 8 out of 10...I actually liked Crysis 2 better...
Old 09-13-11, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Considering the 360 pre-dates Crysis by a couple years, I'm kind of surprised 1) it took this long and 2) that it actually looks quite good.
Yeah. The 360 has the equivalent of a Geforce 7800 video card, which is the bare minimum to run Crysis on PC. I guess running at 640p and probably also no AA helps out tremendously though. Also optimizing it to run on one console versus thousands of possible PC configurations means console games are almost always better optimized.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Its a great game, but nothing truly revolutionary like the original Far Cry was. Crysis is essentially Far Cry with better graphics. It also suffers from the biggest problem that Far Cry also had. The first half of the game is great with a fairly non-linear approach to how you tackle the jungle environments taking down the enemy soldiers. However, the second half of the game basically turns into a somewhat generic shooter once the aliens show up. People complained about that happening with the original Far Cry and its like Crytek didn't even bother listening because they repeated the exact same thing with Crysis.
Old 10-13-11, 08:26 AM
gamer for life

I am about 70% done with the xbox version...game is same as always, but I wanted to point out that it does not look as good as Crysis 2...not even close. I knew it would not look as good as my pc version of Crysis 1... but I think they got a little lazy on this one.
Old 10-13-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I am about 70% done with the xbox version...game is same as always, but I wanted to point out that it does not look as good as Crysis 2...not even close. I knew it would not look as good as my pc version of Crysis 1... but I think they got a little lazy on this one.
Lazy?
Old 10-13-11, 09:09 AM
gamer for life

Yes, I think they rushed it. There is no doubt that the game is more difficult to run than Crysis 2, because of the open world. That being said, changes they made to the game speed (you walk at a snails pace) and some ugly color work (something that they could have corrected without hurting game performance) just proves they ported the game as quick as possible.

I guess it is proof of the power of the new engine though that they got this out so quickly, and it does run ok...I am happy with my purchase...