Reload this Page >

Army of two: The 40th day

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-12-10, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if there is a thread on this but the search works for shit when 90 percent of the name is 3 letter words that it doesn't search. If it exists then please direct me to it and bump it up so people can see it /disclaimer

Anyone else hitting this up? I've been playing it for a few days now and I really like it. The humor from the first is still there. The graphics are great, and the game play works very well. I must admit that I am probably the only person in the world that actually liked the original.

I loved the fact that you get moral choices throughout the game. You get rewards or get denied rewards because of your morality. Also after you make a moral choice it shows a series of drawn storyboards showing the result of your actions. Pretty wicked stuff and makes you think about your actions.

I haven't had a chance to try out the co-op yet, but it seems to be the standard fare as most other co-op games out there. Bottom line, I am really liking this game a lot, and can't wait to try the co-op out on it. If you even liked the original in the slightest I would suggest you give this one a go as it's more of the same thing but with much improvement behind it. Not as much improvement as say Assassins Creed II had over the original, but enough to keep you busy.

The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that you have to get a patch, at least on PlayStation 3, the day it comes out. Sure it's only 25 megs but we all know how bogged down PSN can get. I had a few glitches. A couple of times where the next scene didn't trigger right and I had to restart from the checkpoint. A couple of times when I got gunned down and my characters model went haywire and his legs were up around his head for a while as he had spasms.

The masks are awesome too. There is an honest to god Deadpool mask in there, and that is definitely what I am using. You also have the ability to make your own mask. While I haven't had a chance to delve into that feature yet I think it will be pretty cool to play around with after the game is done.

Anyways, there's my mini review on the game. I would say if I were giving this a 10 scale I would go with an 8.5 or 9 out of 10 as it will keep my attention quite well, but not quite on par with the likes of Borderlands, Uncharted 2, or Assassins Creed II. So far the first 3 big games to come out have been very very good in my opinion. Darksiders, Bayoneta, and Army of two the 40th day. This is going to be a great year if this keeps up
Old 01-12-10, 04:43 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts
Re: Army of two: The 40th day

I very much enjoyed the blatant homoeroticism of the first one, although can't say I'll be purchasing this one until it hits the $20 price point.
Old 01-12-10, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

This game definitely intrigues me but I'm so wrapped up in MW2's multi-player that I don't think I'll get to this until the price drops.
Old 01-12-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Is this even playable as a single-player experience?
Old 01-12-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
Is this even playable as a single-player experience?
Of course. The AI is pretty smart actually and not entirely useless as the AI in most games are. He can rack up as many kills as you can
Old 01-12-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Never heard of the franchise but they sure have been advertising it. Might check it out at some point.
Old 01-12-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

I've got it on order thru Gamestop but wasn't able to swing by today and get it. Should grab it it in the next day or so. First one was fun and this is suppose to be way better especially in the coop area.
Old 01-12-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Played some multi-player tonight, and it is 100 times better than multi on the first one. Last time multi felt tacked on, but now with more co-op/team work required, it plays great. I havent started campaign yet, waiting for a friend to get his copy.
Old 01-12-10, 09:32 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel like I stepped into the twilight zone in this thread.....

I will be picking this one up...when it drops under 30 bucks, as it will do quickly, just like the first one....the demo did not blow me away...but the first game was fun...that enough pauses?
Old 01-12-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

If nothing else the ad for this looks cool and almost makes me want it.
Old 01-12-10, 10:21 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
If nothing else the ad for this looks cool and almost makes me want it.
One thing I noticed from the demo was that while the game itself was VERY nice looking, the cut scenes looked like crap. The building being blown apart looked last generation.
Old 01-19-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Is anyone playing this right now? I'm surprised (or should I be at all) but I have yet seen anyone on my friend list playing this. I was about to swing by Gamestop and grab it but saw the score GameInformergave it....6.5!! I said that couldn't be right...

I'm now holding off till I see what asome are saying if they are playing it. With Bioshock 2 and Aliens v Predator around the corner I think my $$$ will wait.
Old 01-20-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

IGN gave it an 8.5 and I will eventually pick this up... but not at $60. I think EA picked a poor time to release this game given MW2 is still very prominent and there are a ton of great / highly anticipated games coming early this year. This would have made more sense being released in June or July IMO.
Old 01-20-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although a large portion of the high profile games in this quarter were all supposed to be out last quarter.

I've started the game, but haven't made it any further than the first stage. (Trying to get through Darksiders first.)
Old 01-20-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdragon
The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that you have to get a patch, at least on PlayStation 3, the day it comes out.

Huh? What if you don't have it hooked up online?
Old 01-20-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The demo didn't impress me.

I really liked the first game, me and a frend played the whole game through a couple of times on the hardest setting, then the add-on campaigns when they came out.

They fundamentally changed the game play, level design, etc in a way I didn't like.
Old 01-21-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked up two copies for me and the bf on Tuesday from TRU since it came with a $60 GC. So far having fun. This game is all about the co-op and doesn't a better job at that exp. then say GOW2.

The only negative is the unskippable cut scenes. This gets annoying when you fail a mission a few times and have to watch a cut scene again and again.
Old 01-22-10, 04:28 PM

I noticed this only got a 6.5 by GI, would you guys still recommend a purchase?
Old 01-23-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by squidget
This game is all about the co-op and doesn't a better job at that exp. then say GOW2.
que?
Old 01-23-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 127 Posts

Looks like Toys R Us will already be having this for $39.99 for the week of 1/31. I might bite at that price, as I love some good split screen co-op and the IGN review piqued my interest.
Old 01-23-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Looks like Toys R Us will already be having this for $39.99 for the week of 1/31. I might bite at that price, as I love some good split screen co-op and the IGN review piqued my interest.
awwww snap. seriously? might be the right price for me.
Old 01-26-10, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you would rather do amazon and no tax it is the deal of the day today for 39.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm..._rd_i=14210751
Old 01-26-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Just started this. Already run into three game ending glitches, one requiring a system restart, while playing online co-op. Anyone else finding glitches in the game?
Old 02-10-10, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Just started this. Already run into three game ending glitches, one requiring a system restart, while playing online co-op. Anyone else finding glitches in the game?

I think I just came across a glitch last night. Not online play though. In a back to back shoot out. There is one guy left to kill and he can't be shot from where he's located. He doesn't move either. Started again from last checkpoint. This time, it didn't give me infinite ammo as its suppose to during the fight scene.
Old 02-10-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
que?
What I mean is, the co-op experience felt like core of the game instead just tacked on. Like I needed my partner to be Human and I depended on him. I did not feel this in Gears of War 2.