Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock Band Thread - This thread was made for Rockin, and that's just what it'll do

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band Thread - This thread was made for Rockin, and that's just what it'll do

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Rock Band Thread - This thread was made for Rockin, and that's just what it'll do

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I still want "Fuel".
Is fire that which you desire?
Old 05-21-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Rock Band Thread - This thread was made for Rockin, and that's just what it'll do

Sad news for Cake fans. I've been surfing the RB forums and came upon a could tidbits of info. The news is a bit old (9 months) but this comes from (supposedly) someone associated with the band (manager maybe?):

Harmonix was considering one of four songs, but leaning towards "The Distance." He also mentioned the band preferred Harmonix not choose that one. My guess is CAKE and Harmonix have equally stubborn attitudes. Basically, at this point, based on Tommy's last message to me, it seems the band has no interest anymore.
then once RBN was on the horizon a user sent Tommy (again, not sure of the affiliation with the band) a message about getting Cake on RBN, and his response:

Thank you Paul. Honestly, I share your enthusiasm... unfortunately, the band does not.
further asked if that meant "never" for Cake in Rock Band...
I would not say "never"... I will continue to work hard on trying to make this happen. I believe it is very important.
So while this all may be hearsay, it sounds like there is some animosity going on behind the scenes which doesn't bode well for getting Cake into the game.
Old 05-21-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate when artists get all artisty. You have a hit song, fucking deal with it.
Old 05-21-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Exactly. Ooh, that's our most famous song that made us all fucking rich... we're so over it. Pick something else.

Oh, and some more reading reveals that Tommy is their manager. So it sounds like he has his head on straight, but is dealing with some stubborn band members.
Old 05-21-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe they need to take their songs to an independent RBN author that will agree to chart 6 songs or so, including The Distance.

Imagine if Eve 6 said "Fuck you, you can't have JUST Inside Out!"
Old 05-21-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Trick question? I know you shrug off each GH pretty quickly but, Activision exclusivity? There was a little Guitar Hero title that was all Metallica tunes a while back.

Metallica might've gotten into a timed exclusive with Activision, but HMX licensed 12(?) songs from Metallica way before that. I don't know why HMX is still sitting on them, but I'm sure they have their reasons.
Old 05-21-10, 04:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wasn't playing back then. Does the 12 include the available 3-pack?
Old 05-21-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't recall 12 ever being confirmed. IIRC, someone got into the RB code and found a list of potential DLC, and Metallica's Fuel was one of the tracks listed.
Old 05-21-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I think this is the longest I've gone without buying any DLC.
I've only bought two in a couple months, and they were RBN tracks [KMFDM and Inkubus Sukkubus]
Old 05-21-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For any LOST fans in the thread, Dharma Baby is up for playtesting on RBN's internal site, and there are rumors that DriveSHAFT's "You All Everybody" will be up sometime in the future as well.
Old 05-21-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there more than 80 seconds of You All Everybody? I've never heard of Dharma Baby, is it a fan song?
Old 05-21-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Is there more than 80 seconds of You All Everybody? I've never heard of Dharma Baby, is it a fan song?
It was played in Season 5 when...

Spoiler:
Jack and Kate were found at the waterfall in the 70's and Jin drives up in the van.
Old 05-21-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh. Memorable.
Old 05-22-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they need to take their songs to an independent RBN author that will agree to chart 6 songs or so, including The Distance.

Harvey Danger appeared to do that with Flagpole Sitta. Why are they even in the game?

Same goes for Guns N Roses, F you Axl Rose, I want my Paradise City!
Old 05-22-10, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So while this all may be hearsay, it sounds like there is some animosity going on behind the scenes which doesn't bode well for getting Cake into the game.
I'll see your and raise you another . Cake is one of the bands I want in the game the most. So many of their songs would be fun to play. And I think I could probably nail the vocals on expert.
Old 05-22-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know some time ago that one of you mentioned liking these guys that just showed up in Playtest on the RBN site. The Playtest/Peer Review process can take quite a while, so this is no indication that the song will be out anytime soon, just that it's in the works.

Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Buster Voodoo
Old 05-22-10, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Same goes for Guns N Roses, F you Axl Rose, I want my Paradise City!
I thought for sure that having "Shackler's Revenge" in RB2 and the rest of Chinese Democracy as DLC was a gateway to getting more GN'R in RB. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm hoping we get Paradise City in RB3 and then the rest of Appetite as DLC soon afterward.
Old 05-22-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I'll see your and raise you another . Cake is one of the bands I want in the game the most. So many of their songs would be fun to play. And I think I could probably nail the vocals on expert.
We'd need a USB trumpet.
Old 05-23-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey! I'd take just about any song off of Eve 6's first two records - very solid pop rock
Old 05-23-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Hey! I'd take just about any song off of Eve 6's first two records - very solid pop rock
We really need to dig up that Eve 6 conversation from a few RB threads ago when they first put it up for DLC. I'm too sick/drugged to search for the thing, but it's out there somewhere and I'm pretty sure it was good times. We came up with a pretty good playlist for a standalone release based on that Eve 6 song.
Old 05-23-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
As long as they are exportable i don't see a problem at all with the band specific games. It gives the brand name a shelf presence, new achievements, lets them develop a new engine for the next platform iteration, and acts as a giant track pack that can go on sale/be clearanced. Pretty much perfect imo.
I haven't seen any evidence of this, all the band games from HMX have been absolute abominations except The Beatles, which doesn't export.
Old 05-23-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by porieux
I haven't seen any evidence of this, all the band games from HMX have been absolute abominations except The Beatles, which doesn't export.
Unless you're counting the track packs that have just been repackaged DLC, by "all the band games", aren't you really just saying "AC/DC"? I mean, the Green Day game isn't out yet, so I think it's awfully premature to call that an abomination. I tend to look at the AC/DC thing as DLC that just happens to be playable on its own too. Is there a band-specific game from Harmonix on store shelves now other than AC/DC and The Beatles that I'm just forgetting about?
Old 05-23-10, 03:20 PM

Well there is the AC/DC game which is just terrible, then there is the Green Day game which is known to only have Green Day songs on it.... 'nuff said.

Then you have the GH games....sigh.

I certainly see no reason to be hopeful about the situation.

Last edited by porieux; 05-23-10 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-23-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You would rather Green Day have songs other than... Green Day? I would 100x prefer a band specific game to actually be band specific.

What was wrong with the AC/DC game (assuming your complaint isn't that you don't like AC/DC which would be a really dumb criticism of the title)?
Old 05-23-10, 03:42 PM

I (along with plenty of other people) don't like GD therefore the game is 100% worthless to me.

What was wrong with the AC/DC game? What was right with it? I like AC/DC to some extent, but these were crap studio-overdubbed live versions and the game itself couldn't have been a more shoddy piece of shovelware.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.