Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock Band Thread - This thread was made for Rockin, and that's just what it'll do

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band Thread - This thread was made for Rockin, and that's just what it'll do

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Rock Band Thread - This thread was made for Rockin, and that's just what it'll do

I thought I saw HMX wanted out of the plastic instrument biz.
Does this mean RB3 is disc only?
Old 05-07-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rock Band Thread - This thread was made for Rockin, and that's just what it'll do

They will probably bundle with instruments, but those will be made by Mad Catz and not HMX.
Old 05-07-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by HMXHenry
And here's the RBN songs coming to the PS3 on 5/12:

Between the Buried and Me - Mordecai ($1.99)
Blackmarket - Tongue Twister Typo ($1.99)
A Day to Remember - I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of? ($1.99)
Mayday Parade - When I get Home You Are So Dead ($2.99)
Seether - Remedy ($1.99)
Old 05-07-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Random thoughts:

I thought the definitive answer on the Beatles songs ever being exportable was a simple "NO." Not that I wouldn't love to have them in RB3, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for insturments...do you really think this will be a game only release, with no instruments? While the Beatles bundle may not have been as big as expected, I would think Rock Band 3 with instruments would be nice to have on the shelves for Christmas. Not everyone has Rock Band 1 and 2 (or Guitar Hero, Band Hero etc.). Have they definitively said they'd be relying on someone like Mad Catz to provide peripheals for their product?

Is Green Day getting any sort of instruments? I don't really expect them to, but was just curious.
Old 05-07-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Please explain how British Steel coming out negates several weeks of subpar and boring DLC?
No. Connect the dots yourself.
Old 05-07-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I've been playing through RB1's city setlists on M/M voxtar to clean up those straggling achievements and I'm nearly done (ESL not-withstanding). Decided to check in on my long-suspended Expert guitar career and I had the 5 top-tier songs left. Proceeded to pass 3 of them first try. Can't quite get all the way through the solo in Flirtin' with Disaster and haven't even bothered to try GGaHT yet.

I know this is "so 3 years ago" but it was nice to go back and immediately see how much I had improved from when I just gave up before.
Old 05-07-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mazje
As for insturments...do you really think this will be a game only release, with no instruments? While the Beatles bundle may not have been as big as expected, I would think Rock Band 3 with instruments would be nice to have on the shelves for Christmas. Not everyone has Rock Band 1 and 2 (or Guitar Hero, Band Hero etc.). Have they definitively said they'd be relying on someone like Mad Catz to provide peripheals for their product?

Is Green Day getting any sort of instruments? I don't really expect them to, but was just curious.
Yes. MC is taking over the hardware from HMX.

No, they're not and rightfully so. Beatles instruments are iconic.
Old 05-07-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

GGaHT was the only RB1 song I couldn't finish on Expert Guitar.

I always died at like 94%. Every. Single. Time.

There are NO pigeons in a 10 mile radius of my house.
Old 05-07-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I always died at like 94%. Every. Single. Time.
This is precisely why I haven't tried yet. Hell, I can't even 85% the solo on A Hard Day's Night in TB:RB for that achievement. I don't think I've even got 85% on it in practice mode at 70% speed.
Old 05-07-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Between the Buried and Me - Mordecai ($1.99)
Blackmarket - Tongue Twister Typo ($1.99)
A Day to Remember - I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of? ($1.99)
Mayday Parade - When I get Home You Are So Dead ($2.99)
Seether - Remedy ($1.99)

I know. I freakin' know.

But someone explain to me how the XBOX RBN sales of these songs pushed them to the top of the list for the five PS3 RBN selections this week. I think Seether kinda sucks, but they have their fans, granted. But the rest? If someone can point out a potent built-in fanbase for this crap or cool charting or whatnot let me hear it. Otherwise I'm at a loss.
Old 05-07-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Not a fan, but BtB&M make some kick ass music. They would be amazing if they dropped the cookie monster vocals.
Old 05-07-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Not a fan, but BtB&M make some kick ass music. They would be amazing if they dropped the cookie monster vocals.
I can't even listen to that stuff. The vocals just kill it. And then they kill it again with a rusty screwdriver. I only know of one guy that actually listens to that stuff... and without knowing him, I'd have never heard of BtB&M.

I should note (again - just to be clear) this has nothing to do with offering songs I actually want to buy; this has to do with the stated logic behind putting certain songs up on PS3 from the RBN.
Old 05-07-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jdpatri
and without knowing him, I'd have never heard of BtB&M.
They were in the HMX20 pack that came with RB2.

As for the song selection in general, maybe Hamonix thought it would be best if Sony wasn't in the nut kicking business alone.
Old 05-07-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But someone explain to me how the XBOX RBN sales of these songs pushed them to the top of the list for the five PS3 RBN selections this week. I think Seether kinda sucks, but they have their fans, granted. But the rest? If someone can point out a potent built-in fanbase for this crap or cool charting or whatnot let me hear it. Otherwise I'm at a loss.
Do you have XBOX RBN sales figures to disprove these are 5 of the most popular?

Seems like you're just bitching to bitch based on personal preference and not any substantiating facts.

Here's a fact: Xbox is full of douchbags. Douchebags like douchey music. Q.E.D.
Old 05-07-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FWIW: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187322

Most popular RBN song: Push Push (Lady Lightning) (Bang Camaro, 12,244 scores)
2nd most popular RBN song: Bodies (Drowning Pool, 11,317 scores)
3rd most popular RBN song: Code Monkey (Jonathan Coulton, 7,856 scores)
4th most popular RBN song: Drunken Lullabies (Live) (Flogging Molly, 7,369 scores)
5th most popular RBN song: Remedy (Seether, 6,934 scores)
6th most popular RBN song: Stick Stickly (Attack Attack!, 6,595 scores)
7th most popular RBN song: Semi-Charmed Life '09 (Third Eye Blind, 6,358 scores)
8th most popular RBN song: Burn it Down (Five Finger Death Punch, 6,352 scores)
9th most popular RBN song: I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of? (A Day To Remember, 5,690 scores)
10th most popular RBN song: Days Without (All That Remains, 5,564 scores)
11th most popular RBN song: The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) (Flight of the Conchords, 4,998 scores)
12th most popular RBN song: Business Time (Flight of the Conchords, 4,721 scores)
13th most popular RBN song: Even Rats (The Slip, 4,699 scores)
14th most popular RBN song: Battle Royale (The Word Alive, 4,654 scores)
15th most popular RBN song: We Are Not Anonymous (Unearth, 4,636 scores)
16th most popular RBN song: Forever In Your Hands (All That Remains, 4,574 scores)
17th most popular RBN song: The Future Soon (Jonathan Coulton, 3,527 scores)
18th most popular RBN song: Disengage (Suicide Silence, 3,383 scores)
19th most popular RBN song: Mordecai (Between the Buried and Me, 3,282 scores)
20th most popular RBN song: For the Love of God (Live) (Steve Vai, 3,265 scores)
21st most popular RBN song: Requiem for a Dying Song (Flogging Molly, 3,251 scores)
22nd most popular RBN song: Trippolette (Andrew Buch, 3,227 scores)
23rd most popular RBN song: Lady in a Blue Dress (Senses Fail, 3,151 scores)
24th most popular RBN song: Collapsing (Demon Hunter, 2,989 scores)
25th most popular RBN song: He Sleeps in a Grove (Amberian Dawn, 2,902 scores)

3 of the top 25. How many of the other 22 are already on PS3 RBN? (I really don't know). Maybe there's more too picking 5 than just sales? Maybe it's quality, author, genre, difficulty, ratings, HMX bias, etc?
Old 05-07-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Most popular RBN song: Push Push (Lady Lightning) (Bang Camaro, 12,244 scores)
2nd most popular RBN song: Bodies (Drowning Pool, 11,317 scores)
3rd most popular RBN song: Code Monkey (Jonathan Coulton, 7,856 scores)
4th most popular RBN song: Drunken Lullabies (Live) (Flogging Molly, 7,369 scores)
5th most popular RBN song: Remedy (Seether, 6,934 scores)
7th most popular RBN song: Semi-Charmed Life '09 (Third Eye Blind, 6,358 scores)
8th most popular RBN song: Burn it Down (Five Finger Death Punch, 6,352 scores)
9th most popular RBN song: I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of? (A Day To Remember, 5,690 scores)
10th most popular RBN song: Days Without (All That Remains, 5,564 scores)
11th most popular RBN song: The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room) (Flight of the Conchords, 4,998 scores)
12th most popular RBN song: Business Time (Flight of the Conchords, 4,721 scores)
13th most popular RBN song: Even Rats (The Slip, 4,699 scores)
14th most popular RBN song: Battle Royale (The Word Alive, 4,654 scores)
15th most popular RBN song: We Are Not Anonymous (Unearth, 4,636 scores)
16th most popular RBN song: Forever In Your Hands (All That Remains, 4,574 scores)
17th most popular RBN song: The Future Soon (Jonathan Coulton, 3,527 scores)
18th most popular RBN song: Disengage (Suicide Silence, 3,383 scores)
19th most popular RBN song: Mordecai (Between the Buried and Me, 3,282 scores)
20th most popular RBN song: For the Love of God (Live) (Steve Vai, 3,265 scores)
21st most popular RBN song: Requiem for a Dying Song (Flogging Molly, 3,251 scores)
22nd most popular RBN song: Trippolette (Andrew Buch, 3,227 scores)
23rd most popular RBN song: Lady in a Blue Dress (Senses Fail, 3,151 scores)
24th most popular RBN song: Collapsing (Demon Hunter, 2,989 scores)
25th most popular RBN song: He Sleeps in a Grove (Amberian Dawn, 2,902 scores)

Not Listed but on PS3
Australia - The Shins
Little Black Backpack '09 - Stroke 9
Survive - Lacuna Coil
I Know What I Am - Band of Skulls
Old 05-07-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

what does the # of scores represent? Is that a positive rating, or just any rating?
Old 05-07-10, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
This is precisely why I haven't tried yet. Hell, I can't even 85% the solo on A Hard Day's Night in TB:RB for that achievement. I don't think I've even got 85% on it in practice mode at 70% speed.
from what i remember, having beat it a whopping one time on expert (thats all i needed though!) the star power in there is enough that if you can get a whammy or two at one point you can get enough star power

another option is to sort of "ignore" one of the notes. just do the down stroke, leaving out the red on the way back: (o means try to hit, x means just skip) 3/4 of the notes and WAY easier.

o
o
o
x
o
o
o

now i want my guitar to work again so i can play again...
Old 05-07-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you have XBOX RBN sales figures to disprove these are 5 of the most popular?

Seems like you're just bitching to bitch based on personal preference and not any substantiating facts.

Here's a fact: Xbox is full of douchbags. Douchebags like douchey music. Q.E.D.
I'm not bitching to bitch. I already bitched just to bitch. I was merely scrolling through the list of released PS3 RBN tracks and listening to some of the samples and was astounded by the general craptaculosity of the selection. My personal preferences, again irrelevant. IRRELEVANT, MOTHERFUCKERS. Even if I don't care for music I can generally evaluate from an objective POV without much trouble. My initial response to this parade of douchbebag sonatas was "Holy hell that's some shitty music." I said as much up so many posts. Now, having seen the list of top RBN downloads, my disbelief in the HMX release schedule has been proven wrong. My belief that assclowns own XBoxes, however, remains unsullied.

Edit: I'll eat more crow to say kudos to HMX for at least picking better songs not on that top DL list. I hate "Backpack" but it should be fun for groups. The Band of Skulls track is fun, likewise the Lacuna Coil song.

Last edited by jdpatri; 05-07-10 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-07-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My belief that assclowns own XBoxes, however, remains unsullied.
We agree on this at least.
Old 05-07-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This makes baby Liver&Onions cry.
Old 05-08-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I've been playing through RB1's city setlists on M/M voxtar to clean up those straggling achievements and I'm nearly done (ESL not-withstanding). Decided to check in on my long-suspended Expert guitar career and I had the 5 top-tier songs left. Proceeded to pass 3 of them first try. Can't quite get all the way through the solo in Flirtin' with Disaster and haven't even bothered to try GGaHT yet.

I know this is "so 3 years ago" but it was nice to go back and immediately see how much I had improved from when I just gave up before.
I'm in the same boat. I still have those 2 songs left on my EX guitar career there. Gave up long ago. But I've been meaning to go back to RB1 for a while now, as I only have 8 achievements in the game!
Old 05-10-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't do it, Dan!

Originally Posted by @deliciousbees (Dan Teasdale)
Settle a debate! If I have two achievements that are a pair and are easy to get, is it okay or jerkish to assign them 4 and 6 points?
Old 05-10-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It says they are easy to get so who cares?
Old 05-10-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know his skill set

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.