Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PS3 thread - Aaaaannnnnnddddd we're back!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Official PS3 thread - Encryption? We don't need no stinkin' encryption.

Originally Posted by glassdragon
LOL

Don't copy your saves, but here are other peoples credit card numbers.
Well, to be fair, they expected more PS3s to be stolen than hackers breaking into PSN. Though why they think the HDDs would be removed from the encrypting machine is beyond me...
Old 05-13-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

LOL

Don't copy your saves, but here are other peoples credit card numbers.
Irony, thy name is Sony!
Old 05-13-11, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
So my PS3 (80gig MGS bundle) finally died (I think - blinking red light when I try to turn it on).

Should I bother with trying to fix it myself, or should I just send it away to Sony? If it wasn't for it"s backwards-compatibility, I'd just buy a new slim PS3 with a bigger HD, but I wanna keep the one I have.
I definitely wouldn't bother with a reflow (the standard repair from Sony and most places), either - as was said before, it's only temporary. Mine only lasted about 6 months.

You could consider finding a place that does a reball. Gophermods is the only place I know of that seems to be reliable for this, though, and the wait list is ridiculously long (plus it's $140). I was relatively high on the list and it still took 3 months. I can't imagine what it must be now.

When my 60gb died the second time I went ahead and bought a slim. But I really wanted the b/c of my old phat, so I waited for the reball, too. Theoretically, I think it should last longer than when factory-new since they use lead in the reball (more heat-resistant than what Sony used) and apply a higher quality thermal paste. I just got it back last week - it seems to run fine, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. Since I have the new slim, I'll probably only really use it for PS2 games.

So that's my suggestion - buy a new slim, and if you really want your old phat for b/c, wait for the reball. You won't have access to your old saves between now and then, but hopefully it wouldn't be all that big a deal since you at least have the new machine to play on.
Old 05-13-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

What is it that you have to have on the hard drive? Can you just redownload your dlc like you can on xbox?
Old 05-13-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Game saves?
Old 05-13-11, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
What is it that you have to have on the hard drive? Can you just redownload your dlc like you can on xbox?
Mostly game-saves (PS1,2&3) and installs along with a few photos and videos that would be a shame if were lost. And I guess I could re-download all my DLC, but it's shit-ton and would take forever, not to mention the kerfuffle with PSN being down.

I guess I could get it fixed, however temporarily, but long enough to transfer my hard-drive content over to a new PS3 - but that does sound like a pain as well.
Old 05-13-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Mostly game-saves (PS1,2&3) and installs along with a few photos and videos that would be a shame if were lost. And I guess I could re-download all my DLC, but it's shit-ton and would take forever, not to mention the kerfuffle with PSN being down.
Actually, if the PSN Store was up, redownloading would be a LOT easier on the PS3 than the 360. On your PS3 there's a "Download List" where you can scroll through everything you've ever bought and download it right to your system. Though it would admittedly take forever to actually download.
Old 05-13-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a download history on the dashboard on the Xbox, but why would you use that when you can queue everything up from the web? The bottleneck there is that your queue can only have 20 (I think) items in it at once.
Old 05-13-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Though it would admittedly take forever to actually download.
That's what I meant - I know about the previously downloaded list.
Old 05-13-11, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What I really hate is that the psn list has even the demos you bought and it takes me like 2 hours to go through 3 years of history to find the stuff i downloaded in it. I wish you could have it only show paid stuff.
Old 05-14-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What I really hate is that the psn list has even the demos you bought and it takes me like 2 hours to go through 3 years of history to find the stuff i downloaded in it. I wish you could have it only show paid stuff.
Yeah, that's a problem with XBL too. Demos, videos, trailers, stuff no longer available. Filters would be heaven.
Old 05-14-11, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm thinking of taking it here for repairs - it's only about 15 minutes from my house.

Their website looks shady, but they seem to have very positive, though few, yelp reviews.
Old 05-14-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yeah, that's a problem with XBL too. Demos, videos, trailers, stuff no longer available. Filters would be heaven.
Everything is labeled on the website though making it easier to sort through.
Old 05-14-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, shit. They said that they tried to fix it, twice, and it didn't take. At least there's no charge if they can't fix it. I guess I'll be getting a new PS3 slim, which will be nice since I was almost out of room on my 80gig drive, but bye bye backwards comparability!

Ironic thing is that my launch PS2 still works perfectly fine.
Old 05-14-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, shit. They said that they tried to fix it, twice, and it didn't take. At least there's no charge if they can't fix it. I guess I'll be getting a new PS3 slim, which will be nice since I was almost out of room on my 80gig drive, but bye bye backwards comparability!

Ironic thing is that my launch PS2 still works perfectly fine.
Well at least you tried before pulling the plug
Old 05-14-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Going through my PS3 games to see which ones I hadn't finished and would really miss the game-saves on, I was surprised that I've finished most of my PS3, or barely started them. It's the 360 where I have a lot of half-finished games.

Anyhoo, any deals/recommendations on a new PS3? Though I'll probably wait until PSN comes back.
Old 05-14-11, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Going through my PS3 games to see which ones I hadn't finished and would really miss the game-saves on, I was surprised that I've finished most of my PS3, or barely started them. It's the 360 where I have a lot of half-finished games.

Anyhoo, any deals/recommendations on a new PS3? Though I'll probably wait until PSN comes back.
if you have the gamestop powerupcard then you can check your account and if you're lucky there will be a 100 dollar off coupon for any new ps3

317 for a used 320 gig move bundle from amazon warehouse deals, that's 80 bucks off
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-32...5416123&sr=1-1

go to 38 used and then prime offers only and you'll see it from warehouse deals
Old 05-14-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Doubtful, as I haven't been to a gamestop in years. Which is fine, as in that time I've saved WAY more than $100 in game deals from amazon.
Old 05-14-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Doubtful, as I haven't been to a gamestop in years. Which is fine, as in that time I've saved WAY more than $100 in game deals from amazon.
Check the amazon deal i added to my post, their systems are usually great shape and that's a damn good price for a move bundle with a 320 harddrive as a new 120 or 160 will be about 300.

all it says is "missing shrinkwrap" and you can get a squaretrade warranty for it
Old 05-14-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI- PSN is not up, but there is an update so you will be up to date when it comes back up. So maybe soon....
Old 05-14-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Firmware update is live now. Online is still down.
Old 05-14-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movie diva
FYI- PSN is not up, but there is an update so you will be up to date when it comes back up. So maybe soon....
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Firmware update is live now. Online is still down.
May 14 2011

PS3 System Software Update

+ Posted by Eric Lempel // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

We have been working on a new PS3 system software update that requires all PSN users to change their password once PlayStation Network is restored. The update (v3.61) is mandatory and is available now.

If using a PS3, your password can only be changed on your own PS3 (or a PS3 on which your PSN account was activated), as an added layer of security. If you have never downloaded any content using your account on the system, an email will be sent to the registered sign-in ID (email address) associated with your account when you first attempt to sign-in to PSN. This e-mail will contain a link that will enable you to change your password. In this email, click on the link and follow the instructions to change your password. Once you have changed your password you can sign-in to your account using your new password.

We strongly recommend that all PSN account holders with PS3s update their systems to prepare for when PlayStation Network is back online. The release of this update is a critical step as we work to make PlayStation Network significantly more secure. Thank you for your continued support and patience.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...ftware-update/
Old 05-14-11, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

BTW, how do you change your password?

PS. I updated the firmware and was not prompted to change my password. Do I have to wait for the e-mail to do that?

Last edited by LorenzoL; 05-14-11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-14-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can only do it on your ps3, and since it needs to be in contact with psn to verify/update the password you won't be able to until psn comes back up

This is just preparing you for when it comes back up.
Old 05-14-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

as I gather from above you will be prompted to do so "once PlayStation Network is restored"

I hope they don't require you to remember your old password as I'm sure plenty of people don't recall and were just using auto log-in

by the way I'll wait to update my FW via download to USB since I've done it that way since my last system bricked shortly after a past update
unfortunately Sony is always a day behind in getting these updates on their site after they are available directly online

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.