Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
http://www.imdb.com/search/title - IMDB advanced title search
horror films by year starting 1895 - wiki breakdown by decade then year

Building of the 31 Film Subset: The Final Phase has begun -&- Crossover Group Voting

2 volunteers are still needed for the subset list.

Print Wikipost

The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 04:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Skinnamarinki Dinky LINK, Skinnamarinki Doo!

link?
Old 10-29-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
re: The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Originally Posted by TLwizard
I just got a call from Gamestop saying "Thank you for your order for Kinectimals Limited Edition. We noticed that we shipped this to you really early. Please do not open the game until it's release date on November 4th as doing so might ban you from Xbox Live. Thank you."

I thought it was funny that they don't want me to open it because I might get banned (I wouldn't) as opposed to them getting a fine for breaking street date. I wonder if since I'm in the beta dashboard if it could load and not lock down the system as reported by other users.
It's not them that would get into trouble. Due to a glitch, you could get locked out of Live:
Joystiq story
Old 10-29-10, 05:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
So I missed out on that controller from ebay yesterday, but it seems like buy is still selling it, only a buck more? Or is that a different seller?

edit: sorry, link is
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Xbox-360-Col...item230b463031
Dammit. They won't ship to Canada either. Actually, I think it's the same seller (their feedback quantity is insanely high)
Old 10-29-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me know what you guys think about the new controller. As much as I wanted to grab one, I just couldn't justify it right now with three others that work just fine. But if the D pad is that much better, one might break by accident
Old 10-29-10, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It's not them that would get into trouble. Due to a glitch, you could get locked out of Live:
Joystiq story
No , I knew about that. And their message wasn't about due to system incompatabilities I might have trouble, it's... if you open this before it's supposed to be released, you're gonna be in big trouble and get banned from Live. We didn't do anything wrong, but if you open it you will do something wrong.

I already knew about people getting locked out of Live, but they're not getting banned. And what I wonder is if the people who are in the beta dashboard are the ones having the problems or if it's the people who aren't (or both.)
Old 10-30-10, 11:47 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Let me know what you guys think about the new controller. As much as I wanted to grab one, I just couldn't justify it right now with three others that work just fine. But if the D pad is that much better, one might break by accident
i played a few minutes of Borderlands with it and it is like a whole new controller.

you switch weapons with the dpad and it is like instant and super quick now. the other controller you had to do like a split second of feeling around to determine direction (at least for me). now, with the raised + it is like instantaneous.

the other buttons feel tighter (not stiff though) and more responsive as well. the analog sticks feel, maybe a little different and responsive, triggers as well. and all the buttons have a nice feel to them, nice and tactile i would say. i did like the color coded buttons, but you don't really look anyway so it is not a huge deal. plus, my other was starting to squeak in triggers.

mind you this was literally like 30 minutes of play thus far.

overall, for the price and the better responsiveness in sticks and dpad i would say it was well worth it.
Old 10-30-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

How's the overall texture of the body?
Old 10-30-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Whoah!
Old 10-30-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[moving to xcritic]
Old 10-30-10, 12:48 PM

smooth and silky...like a new born baby's bottom.

it actually does feel a little smoother. like the original black i have, feels a little rougher compared to it. the black almost feels like micro dots to the hands underneath, if that makes sense.

the new one kinda more slick without it being slippery and feels very good in hands. but, very slight difference with the body (to me). the buttons are what feel the most different.

also, think the bumpers feel a little better and more responsive on the new.

the analog sticks also don't have the 4 little braille-like bumps on them to indicate direction. i did like those on original and that feels a little different on new and maybe slight bit to get used to.

i feel with the new dpad, there would be no reason to not leave it raised always. feels a lot different and really better. almost like the old NES controller which i used to love.

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-30-10 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-30-10, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
i feel with the new dpad, there would be no reason to not leave it raised always. feels a lot different and really better. almost like the old NES controller which i used to love.
Well, I wonder about Fighting games that often use the diagonal direction. I'm not sure if it'll be easier or harder with a cross shaped controller. I also wonder if the D-Pad is more responsive in the lowered position, like the green PES one was -- we all assume so, but I don't know yet. Can't wait to try Pac Man CE with it, though.
Old 10-31-10, 02:16 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Just got an email about a mandatory update on Nov 1st. Anyone have details on what's being added?

Important Information About Your Xbox LIVE Service
On November 1, 2010, there will be a mandatory service update to Xbox LIVE. This update will both add new features to your service and also enhance the interface, navigation, and responsiveness of Xbox LIVE.
Old 10-31-10, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The entire interface is getting a revamp.
Old 10-31-10, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Well, I wonder about Fighting games that often use the diagonal direction. I'm not sure if it'll be easier or harder with a cross shaped controller. I also wonder if the D-Pad is more responsive in the lowered position, like the green PES one was -- we all assume so, but I don't know yet. Can't wait to try Pac Man CE with it, though.
don't know about fighting games, but i just now tried Pac Man C.E.trial that was pre-installed on 360 and it played well with the raised, better in fact then when it wasn't raised.

very easy to control with +. turns were responsive and felt like i was more in control than when lowered and compared to old controller.

when i played lowered it seemed to take on a life of its own with some turns and almost like i wasn't controlling it at all, but still better than old.

played very fast both ways, but much better raised and i scored a lot better, which is obviously the point.

used my black original controller and it sucked in comparison. i again, was not controlling very well and played very loose. Pac went left when i wanted him to go down and stuff like that.

i mean with the bits and pieces i've played it really did seem much more responsive with the switching of weapons in Borderlands and turns through maze in Pac Man.

i tried to switch off a few times and the new just seemed to be the winner each time, with key word responsive.

i don't know if it will be the most revolutionary new controller to hit the market, but suspect that with the games it was truly meant for and high use of D-pad, in long run, gamers will like it much more than the old controllers. i liked the old controller just fine, so this is that, but enhanced for more responsive gameplay with buttons that seem to respond better and play more accurately when pressed.

i also suspect Batman: Arkham Asylum and the sequel will make great use of the new pad, what with all the gadgets mapped to each of the 8 directions of the D-pad.

so take that as you will. i'm certainly not an advanced gamer or play hours upon hours a day, but find the new controller a lot better than the old.

hope that helps anyone.

MC,
have you tried yours yet?
Old 10-31-10, 12:38 PM

Thanks Scott. I was talking about trying Pac Man CE with the cross bar raised, though my post didn't make that at all clear. Pac Man is, obviously, a game that only needs the Dpad to move in 4 directions. Games like fighting games and games that require you to shoot at a 45 degree diagonal like Bionic Comando would probably need the Dpad in the lowered position. I play Street Fighter games with a Fightpad like this:

But I'd be happy if I could accurately use this new controller's Dpad instead.
Old 10-31-10, 12:49 PM

^ the raised D-pad was leagues better than when it wasn't raised if that is consolation. much better in control. lowered it was still better than the older controller, but didn't play any games yet, that used the directional other than the 4.
Old 10-31-10, 12:54 PM

That's good to hear. Hope those idiots at Fed Ex try to deliver my package again on Monday. Seriously, I buy tons of stuff from Buy.com that takes over a week to get to me. Some is even sent USPS. But I preorder a new controller that I don't really need and they send it by overnight courier? I've seen transplant organs sent with lower priority shipping!
Old 10-31-10, 12:57 PM

is there more of a benefit getting things delieved to office rather than home? would they not just leave at doorstep without signature?
Old 10-31-10, 01:06 PM

That's it. I'm paranoid that something will disappear, so I just have it delivered at the office. Plus I pay a fortune in rent and for a staff of six. Might as well get some use out of it. In 2 1/2 years, this is the first time a package delivery was attempted on a Saturday. And I buy thousands of dollars' worth of very perishable vaccines.
Old 11-01-10, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I did the update prior to work this morning and played around a few minutes. I hope everyone likes looking at loading circles, it's everywhere and often.
Old 11-01-10, 08:04 AM

MC,
how do you like the new controller?

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-01-10 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-01-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't tell if the new dpad is any good or not yet, it feels entirely cosmetic, it's probably just a placebo.

But, whatever, the controller design is pretty sexy, so no regrets.
Old 11-01-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just used it in Halo last night, so no thoughts on the d-pad yet, but it does seem more responsive in menus, but it could be a placebo thing. I miss the nubs on the analog, but I do like the more defined concave groove. I didn't notice a difference in the bumpers or triggers while playing, but the bumpers do feel more "clicky" than "mushy" when just comparing a couple different controllers.

Texture-wise it's about on par with the solid color controllers, but not as smooth as the red/graphite one that I prefer. It's not a deal-breaker though. Thankfully it's not rough like the Reach controllers.

I LOVE the monochrome. So yeah, no regrets.
Old 11-01-10, 11:51 AM

Looks like Fed Ex won't send mine back to the office until tomorrow. It's in time-out apparently.

Did anyone try the dashboard update today? Do the avatar clothes work yet? I'm so freaking tired of seeing that moving clothesline and cat on a skateboard. All I want is unrestricted access to my freaking virtual wardrobe!
Old 11-01-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I updated my avatar stuff last through the dashboard week. Looks like it's all working to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.