Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
http://www.imdb.com/search/title - IMDB advanced title search
horror films by year starting 1895 - wiki breakdown by decade then year

Building of the 31 Film Subset: The Final Phase has begun -&- Crossover Group Voting

2 volunteers are still needed for the subset list.

Print Wikipost

The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Originally Posted by Decker
Dr Pepper Iron Man 2 Premium Themes if anyone wants one:
Thanks Decker, I took the third one (amazed it was still up for grabs).
Old 05-05-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but I'm going to ask it and for advice/experience anyway.

So last week my brother and sister-in-law's house got robbed and they took basically all of the electronics. Macs, sound equipment (he's an audio engineer), network storage, tvs, blu-rays, gaming systems, etc, etc, etc. Long story short, they also took off with the XBox and Rock Band stuff I gave them last year as a wedding present (some of you may remember). Anyway, that's the least of anyone's concerns compared to the irreplaceable personal photo and video collections and personal data.

So, last night I'm playing some Rock Band and I see his account sign in. I immediately call him to find out if he got a replacement Xbox and if that's him. No, it's not. So either this fucking moron* directly stole it, bought it knowing it was stolen, or got it 2nd (or 3rd) hand and is still using my brother's XBL account.

I recommend to my brother that he at least start by calling 1-800-4MYXBOX to see if they can do anything like track the source IP to get a location or, at the very least, an ISP with which a cross-reference can be done to go from IP/time to account/location. I don't know if he did and I don't know if MS will even do that.

Not having been on the receiving end of a theft like this (knock on wood), I don't really know if it's even worth involving the authorities to find more info and possibly get back the more precious items. So I'm sort of asking you all for your thoughts or experience on a situation like this.

* Apologies in advance if that "fucking moron" is a member here. I did not mean to make a direct, personal attack on you. Please don't suspend me.
Old 05-05-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The account just signed on again. It's driving me crazy!
Old 05-05-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry man, that sucks. I can't really help, but I'd guess the authorities can't do much. Contacting xbox was probably the best first step though for sure. (maybe contact local pawn shops as well too)
Old 05-05-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the other problem is my brother is a black hole of communication. He's terrible about answering his phone, returning calls or texts. And when you mention it, you're the asshole because he's "busy" doing nothing.

I told him to contact pawn shops and shit when it first happened. I called him last night when "his" account signed on. It took me calling THREE TIMES in a row to get him to even answer the phone and I've sent 2 texts since then. I mean, I want to help but there's only so much you can do for someone like that.

I feel like I'm the one that suffers because I see the account activity flaunted in front of me and he couldn't seem to care less. I realize I could remove this account from my Friends List, but would you?
Old 05-05-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does he have a credit card registered to that account? If so that guy could be doing all kinds of shopping through XBL with your brother's card.
Old 05-05-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd ask, but it'll take 2-3 billing cycles to get a response

Actually, yes, I think he does because when I was over there and I did the RB1 export for him, he didn't have enough points and told me just to add some to his account.
Old 05-05-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yeah, the other problem is my brother is a black hole of communication. He's terrible about answering his phone, returning calls or texts. And when you mention it, you're the asshole because he's "busy" doing nothing.

I told him to contact pawn shops and shit when it first happened. I called him last night when "his" account signed on. It took me calling THREE TIMES in a row to get him to even answer the phone and I've sent 2 texts since then. I mean, I want to help but there's only so much you can do for someone like that.
Yeah...honestly I'm already worn out and don't give a shit. I hate wanting to help people that could seem to care less.
Old 05-05-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Update. He says he did call and they were clueless (I expected this) but he did change his password last night.

So... Why did I see this person sign on an hour ago?
Old 05-05-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe your brother is just trying to scam the insurance industry and forgot to let you know.
Old 05-05-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah, he called back and said they were going to cancel the membership. We'll see. The account is still online and gold as far as I can tell. But since you could keep playing Halo 2 two weeks after support was disabled, maybe I just need to wait for this person to sign out for the changes to take effect.
Old 05-05-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nah, he called back and said they were going to cancel the membership. We'll see. The account is still online and gold as far as I can tell. But since you could keep playing Halo 2 two weeks after support was disabled, maybe I just need to wait for this person to sign out for the changes to take effect.
I think it's time for a Xbox Message Bomb! Have you sent any messages to the guy?
Old 05-05-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, I would try sending a couple messages or inviting the person to a private chat. What's the worst that can happen, they won't respond?

Or just pretend you're a hot chick that wants to meet up for some drinks and give them a beat down
Old 05-05-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I would NOT send messages at all. Leave the dope alone and do the following:

Stepto has mentioned this scenario before. In extreme cases (like the one your BiL is in) they can coordinate with authorities to track the IP this console is signed in from and possibly apprehend the thief, and possibly get all his shit back. They work directly with authorities.

You can get more info on the proper xbox.com forum. The legwork there is up to you though. I'd act fast though.
Old 05-05-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great advice, Corvin. I sent stepto an email. I just hope he responds. I'll be looking for the proper Xbox Forum place to post too.

Obviously I didn't want to do anything to scare off this person. They're already dumb enough to use the account online. Since my brother only has 3 friends and I'm constantly online, I'm wondering if notifications have been disabled because the ever-present pinata360 would scare the shit out of me using that account.
Old 05-05-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obviously I didn't want to do anything to scare off this person. They're already dumb enough to use the account online. Since my brother only has 3 friends and I'm constantly online, I'm wondering if notifications have been disabled because the ever-present pinata360 would scare the shit out of me using that account.
Yeah..but you wouldn't have stolen an Xbox either. You can't put yourself in their position as obviously they don't give a shit.
Old 05-05-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superfro
Yeah..but you wouldn't have stolen an Xbox either.
Given the right Target coupon, I'd do just about anything.
Old 05-05-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Given the right Target coupon, I'd do just about anything.
Touche.
Old 05-05-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember reading a similar story in Kotaku or Joystiq, and yeah they were able to get their stuff back. It seems you are in the right path now.
Old 05-05-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the big thing is that MS requires that a police report be filed before they can do anything. As drastic as this situation is, I'm sure that part's already covered.
Old 05-05-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, and it's probably part of the reason he's so indifferent about the whole thing. I, however, am the one that's carrying the rage and desire for justice.
Old 05-05-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Amusing side note to this. He was borrowing my copy of Ninja Gaiden 2. Well, my 2nd copy since the 1st one was lent to another friend whose apartment got robbed.

Anyone want to borrow the 3rd one I get? I just need a shipping address and a work or vacation schedule.
Old 05-05-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Note to self: don't move to "Owasso"
Old 05-05-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, and it's probably part of the reason he's so indifferent about the whole thing. I, however, am the one that's carrying the rage and desire for justice.
and now we're all in it to see how it plays out.
Old 05-05-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good news, I have got a response from someone in the XBL department (when I fwded my original [email protected] to [email protected]), but I'm not sure who exactly it's from. They said that stepto's the man and that a police report has been filed. Hopefully this person will be able to mention to stepto to check his email.

My brother has confirmed he has a police report so "now what?" And, really, he has as much information as I do at this point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.