DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/567312-official-xbox-360-thread-console-choice-nuclear-submarines.html)

Michael Corvin 01-08-10 07:28 AM

re: The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Originally Posted by xmiyux (Post 9929419)
I read the article and, iirc, it said visitors could visit your arcade and try before they buy. Technically though, the demos allow that. I want to them to be able to play the whole damn thing all the way through if they so desire. Not a shortened demo version.

Anyone can download a demo though, so what would be the point of visiting someone's arcade?

Kicker_of_Elves 01-08-10 08:53 AM

http://i47.tinypic.com/2cpqh45.jpg

Michael Corvin 01-08-10 09:03 AM

rotfl

Raul3 01-08-10 04:33 PM

Lamebook FTW!

Even if you don't use Facebook www.lamebook.com is a must!

foxdvd 01-08-10 09:03 PM

Ok...how do you take Zune video off of your xbox after installing it? I wanted to check it out, and it replaces the normal interface your xbox has for watching videos. It is a lot slower, which I could deal with, but it does not update when a video is done downloading from xbox, which forces you to leave the zune interface, and go back to your xbox dashboard, then click back into the video. This sucks, cause I usually download 4 or 5 video game videos at once, and like to watch them one after another. I can not find anything in the memory that would let me remove it...

Raul3 01-09-10 02:44 PM

I also want to know. I've only once tried that new interface and didn't like it.

OldBoy 01-10-10 10:02 AM

is anyone providing a free "full access" trial to XBL Gold? meaning not just online play, but access to all content for a short period of time without having to buy...

thanks.

xmiyux 01-10-10 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9934487)
is anyone providing a free "full access" trial to XBL Gold? meaning not just online play, but access to all content for a short period of time without having to buy...

thanks.

Amazon had a year long membership card on sale for 35$. Order one and enjoy.

Decker 01-10-10 10:51 AM

thanks.

I think we've already established that full Gold membership is pay-only. You can get a full year for only $35 at Amazon, or if you were planning on buying something on the Marketplace anyway, you can get a year of Live + 1600 points ($20 value) for $50 at Costco.com with free shipping. Either is a pretty good deal. If you want all access, that's the way to go.

tonyc3742 01-10-10 10:55 AM

I also don't like the Zune marketplace interface as much as I liked the old video browsing.

Over Christmas, I used Last.fm on the 360 to play Christmas music by playing tag, well, "Christmas".

Now that music is in my Library. So I'll hear Suicidal Tendencies, Black Flag, then the Andrews Sisters. Is there any to not include that tag in my library?

sniper308 01-10-10 11:13 AM

thanks.

Did you sign up for your initial month of Gold?

darkside 01-10-10 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by sniper308 (Post 9934565)

My wife and son signed up for silver accounts and got the free month of gold to play 1 vs 100. Near the end of the month they also got an offer to get three months for $10. She wasn't sure she wanted a year since she only wanted live to play 1 vs 100 and bought the extra 3 months. She figured she didn't want to pay for too many months that 1 vs 100 wasn't running and I think the season ends fairly soon.

So if nothing else you can get the free month and then 3 more months if you want and only spend $10.

OldBoy 01-10-10 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by sniper308 (Post 9934565)

no. it was never mentioned and thus never offered when i signed up at first.

Groucho 01-10-10 12:47 PM

It should sign you up automatically.

Decker 01-10-10 12:51 PM

I don't think the free month of Gold is still offered.

tlwizard 01-10-10 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9934773)
It should sign you up automatically.

When I got my Xbox and signed up for Live Silver I was never offered the one month of Gold. However, when my gf created her Silver account on my Xbox she was. So it doesn't seem to always offer it for some reason even though it's supposed to do so.

OldBoy 01-10-10 07:43 PM

would someone mind giving me one of their codes for a free 48 hours of Gold because i want to try this online thing with Halo: CE and then see if i want to go for the year?

sometimes comes with new games and if you don't intend to use it...

please pm me.

thanks in advance, i do appreciate it sincerely.

xmiyux 01-10-10 07:45 PM

The first Halo doesn't have online play.

pinata242 01-10-10 08:01 PM

I could have sworn I played Halo 1 co-op with my friend in Pennsylvania on the old Xbox.

xmiyux 01-10-10 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 9935708)
I could have sworn I played Halo 1 co-op with my friend in Pennsylvania on the old Xbox.

Splitscreen or over a LAN. Neither of which require Live Gold.

Spoiler:

Now, there was a tunneling program that would trick the Xbox into thinking folks online were on a LAN. However, there is no way Scott will work his way through that setup. :lol:

pinata242 01-10-10 08:07 PM

Hmmm... maybe he was visiting and it was split-screen. I know I haven't done any sort of tunneling since my PC days. I know it wasn't Halo 2 because I didn't play that for more than 2 hours :lol:

Liver&Onions 01-10-10 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9935678)
would someone mind giving me one of their codes for a free 48 hours of Gold because i want to try this online thing with Halo: CE and then see if i want to go for the year?

sometimes comes with new games and if you don't intend to use it...

please pm me.

thanks in advance, i do appreciate it sincerely.

Not really the place for begging for codes. If you're interested in Live it's worth purchasing for $35 on Amazon. And since you'll likely be asking for these once you get to some other co-op games, it's well worth the investment...

PixyJunket 01-13-10 08:22 AM

This is probably going to be a Pixy only thing here, but.. March 16th..

http://i46.tinypic.com/mbmxyh.jpg

Michael Corvin 01-13-10 08:38 AM

No interest here, but that is a kick ass poster/image.

Schloob1 01-13-10 09:36 AM

All over that game for sure, will put that on Gamefly for sure. The 1st one was a blast to play, albeit some mindless fun. And man that is one of the sweetest posters I've seen in awhile.

Raul3 01-13-10 02:58 PM

Agree, great poster.

And of course the box art is going to be an angel with big boobs. ;)

PixyJunket 01-13-10 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 9941038)
Agree, great poster.

And of course the box art is going to be an angel with big boobs. ;)

Here's the Japanese box, for reference. I'm sure it'll be changed over here.

http://i46.tinypic.com/ipmts4.jpg

pinata242 01-13-10 03:19 PM

I think I have a friend with the first one and I've thought about grabbing it from him a few times. Is it worth playing?

PixyJunket 01-13-10 03:30 PM

If you like hack and slash games, yes, it's pretty good.

Most people find them repetitive though (quizzically, considering other popular genres, but I digress).

There's a demo as well, if you want to check it out.

Michael Corvin 01-14-10 08:08 AM

I forget who it was but someone was looking for the Controller w/Play N Charge kit cheap in the last thread about a month ago so,

Amazon has both the red and black ones on sale for $42.

PixyJunket 01-14-10 01:48 PM

^ I might bite on one of those, don't NEED it, but it would be useful. Thanks.

Decker 01-14-10 01:55 PM

I'm sitting out each and every 360 controller deal in hopes of a new controller with an improved D-pad. It's been years and they still haven't fixed it (except for a limited-edition European model in 2008). Is it foolish to keep waiting on an upgraded controller that seems to never come?

Michael Corvin 01-14-10 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9942858)
I'm sitting out each and every 360 controller deal in hopes of a new controller with an improved D-pad. It's been years and they still haven't fixed it (except for a limited-edition European model in 2008). Is it foolish to keep waiting on an upgraded controller that seems to never come?

Yes it is foolish, buy one today so that MS will announce one next week. Have you picked up Trials yet? If not buy that as well so we can see it on sale soon. :D

fumanstan 01-14-10 02:07 PM

You could always try that Razer one. Given their PC peripherals are pretty nice for gamers, maybe the 360 controller is an improvement.

Decker 01-14-10 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9942883)
Yes it is foolish, buy one today so that MS will announce one next week. Have you picked up Trials yet? If not buy that as well so we can see it on sale soon. :D

:lol: Nice try!

And my magic touch is delayed now. I bought Trials HD the day it came out. Don't worry, every other XBLA game I bought in 2008 has gone on sale in the past month, so Trials can't be that far off!

Michael Corvin 01-14-10 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9942915)
I bought Trials HD the day it came out. Don't worry, every other XBLA game I bought in 2008 has gone on sale in the past month, so Trials can't be that far off!

:bdance:

Matt 01-14-10 02:41 PM

I've needed a second controller since I got my 360 two years ago. Got tired of waiting for one with an improved D-pad, so I jumped on that black controller kit as soon as it went on sale last week. $42 is a great price for that thing.

So you guys will have me to thank when Microsoft announces a new controller next week.

PixyJunket 01-14-10 02:56 PM

Was that Euro controller ever confirmed? It was for Pro Evolution, right?

I wouldn't count on them releasing a new controller anymore unless it's done silently. I just sort of got used to the analog stick for platform games and bought a joystick (well, two joysticks) for shoot 'em ups. There's still a few things a great d-pad would be nice for but it seems like a lost cause now.

Decker 01-14-10 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket (Post 9942979)
Was that Euro controller ever confirmed? It was for Pro Evolution, right?

From Wikipedia:
Green "Limited Edition" controllers were released in mid October 2008 in Europe, Asia, and Latin America. The green controller has a direction pad with 16-way functionality[2], instead of the 8-way direction pad used on all previous controllers. This controller was released alongside Pro Evolution Soccer 2009.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...controller.jpg

I wouldn't count on them releasing a new controller anymore unless it's done silently. I just sort of got used to the analog stick for platform games and bought a joystick (well, two joysticks) for shoot 'em ups. There's still a few things a great d-pad would be nice for but it seems like a lost cause now.
Yeah, that's what I figured.
It would be one thing if they had never manufactured a better D pad, but they actually have. I don't understand why they won't integrate it into their regular controller, especially with all the XBLA and Indie games that could make good use of the pad. In any case, I still have three working pads as well as a fightpad and a nice Joystick, so I'm set for now. But if they were to ever pull a Sony and upgrade their first-party controller, I'd be all over that one.

PixyJunket 01-14-10 03:46 PM

I wonder how hard one of those will be to track down..

I found two on eBay UK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190363723805

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390140581304

Unless there was another green one released, hmm.