DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/567312-official-xbox-360-thread-console-choice-nuclear-submarines.html)

Decker 01-07-10 11:35 AM

re: The official Xbox 360 thread - the console of choice on nuclear submarines

Just what the gaming community was demanding : Another wired third-party controller!

http://www.team-dignitas.org/images/...b/onza_450.jpg

The Razer Onza Professional Gaming Controller for Xbox 360 was created to improve the players Xbox 360 gaming experience with a series of special features, including Razer Hyperesponse™ buttons, designed to give faster actuation and a crisp, tactile feel. The Razer Onza will allow gamers to vary the tension required to tilt the analog stick for maximum comfort and customization bringing an element of personal preference to the world of console gaming. Razer has also added a multi-function button (MFB) that can be mapped to act as one of the action buttons, the analog stick buttons or an auto-fire button by using a sliding selector switch on the bottom of the controller. The Razer Onza Professional Gaming Controller for Xbox 360 is further distinguished by a sharply-lit edge, for gaming that stays in style, even in the dark.

Razer Onza Professional Gaming Controller for Xbox 360
MSRP: US $49.99; Europe € 44.99

Razer Onza Professional Gaming Controller for Xbox 360 Features:

•Razer Hyperesponse™ technology
•Adjustable Tension Analog Sticks
•Programmable Multi-function Button
•Wired Control for Virtually Lag Free Gameplay
Razer Onza Professional Gaming Controller for Xbox 360

pinata242 01-07-10 11:48 AM

"Virtually Lag Free"! :lol:

Matt 01-07-10 12:21 PM

. . .and I *just* ordered a lame official wireless controller with Play & Charge Kit for $42. Figures. If I only would have waited. . .

superfro 01-07-10 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9928354)
Just what the gaming community was demanding : Another wired third-party controller!

And here I thought reading about how the Heathcliff license was secured, ushering in 7 years of Heathcliff themed games across all systems was the best news story of the day!

JasonF 01-07-10 12:43 PM

So how is this virtual arcade different from buying Joust or Robotron 2084 on XBLA and playing it there?

Also, insofar as Intellivision goes, if they manage to bring us a faithful port of the original Intellivision Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game, I will pay eleventy kajillion points for it.

starman9000 01-07-10 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 (Post 9925237)
I never was a fan of those games, but they had great reviews and a big following at their time.

I guess if you have played any of the series and liked them you won't get disappointed with these games. On the other hand $10 for both of them sounds good.

Thanks,

I decided to hold off. (Looked at my huge backlog from the Hollywood video sale and realized it would be pointless).

JasonF 01-07-10 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by superfro (Post 9928475)
And here I thought reading about how the Heathcliff license was secured, ushering in 7 years of Heathcliff themed games across all systems was the best news story of the day!

Heathcliff: America's second favorite sarcastic orange cartoon cat!

Unless you're talking about Wuthering Heights: The Video Game, in which case I'm going to hold out for the Jane Eyre FPS.

Matt 01-07-10 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 9928520)
So how is this virtual arcade different from buying Joust or Robotron 2084 on XBLA and playing it there?

I've been wondering the same thing. If this means an across-the-board price reduction on all those old-school XBLA titles, while retaining achievements, I'm all for it. I get the feeling this won't be the case, though.

I'd buy so many more of those old games if they weren't $5 each.

Chew 01-07-10 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 9928527)
Unless you're talking about Wuthering Heights: The Video Game, in which case I'm going to hold out for the Jane Eyre FPS.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Video Game might be alright. ;)

Michael Corvin 01-07-10 01:34 PM

I'm still waiting on Frasier Crane's version of A Tale of Two Cities to be made into a game.

starman9000 01-07-10 02:00 PM

I'm loving my new 360, with Live, Netflix I have more content at my fingertips than I've had in years. I added Tversity for Hulu last night and am loving the potential. I think I need to upgrade my computer though to make the Tversity run a little smoother. I can't believe I held off so long on this.

pinata242 01-07-10 02:13 PM

Kotaku has broken down the initial 30 with a little more talk: http://kotaku.com/5442810/the-first-...-new-game-room

1. Centipede (arcade)
2. Asteroids Deluxe (arcade)
3. Tempest (arcade)
4. Crystal Castles (arcade)
5. Lunar Lander (arcade)
6. Jungler (arcade)
7. Road Fighter (arcade)
8. Scramble (arcade)
9. Finalizer (arcade)
10. Tutankham (arcade)
11. Shao-Lin's Road (arcade)
12. Super Cobra (arcade)
13. Red Baron (arcade)
14. Gravitar (arcade)
15. Battlantlis
16. Astrosmash (Intellivision)
17. Mountain Madness Super Pro Skiing (Intellivision)
18. Armor Battle (Intellivision)
19. Space Hawk (Intellivision)
20. Sub Hunt (Intellivision)
21. Sea Battle (Intellivision)
22. Space Armada (Intellivision)
23. Astrosmash (Intellivision)
24. Star Raiders (Atari 2600)
25. Outlaw (Atari 2600)
26. Yar's Revenge (Atari 2600)
27. Millipede (Atari 2600)
28. Football (Atari 2600)
29. RealSports Tennis (Atari 2600)
30. Combat (Atari 2600)

Sky Diver for the Atari 2600 makes a brief appearance in the first Game Room trailer, so expect it—and many other 2600 titles—eventually. The initial Game Room leak showed off games like Shark! Shark! and Star Strike for the Intellvision and Atari's RealSports Baseball and Realsports Basketball, so expect those too.
They list Astrosmash twice, so it's not 100%

starman9000 01-07-10 02:17 PM

If they grouped them together in packages I'd bite, but there's no way I'd spend more than a dollar on any single Intellevision game. Make it $5 for the lot and include Utopia and I'm in. :)

TheBigDave 01-07-10 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 9928712)
They list Astrosmash twice, so it's not 100%

I think the game they're missing is Adventure (Atari 2600). It was clearly shown in the promo video.

chuckd21 01-07-10 02:20 PM

I already own Tempest, Centipede and Asteroids Deluxe. They better just pop up in my arcade.

If you can do without the game room backdrop, just pick up Atari Anthology for the original Xbox. It's backwards compatible and awesome.

pinata242 01-07-10 02:21 PM

By the same logic, Intellivision Lives is on GoD already.

chuckd21 01-07-10 02:29 PM

I have to wonder if it'll disappear, or if they'll disable BC for Atari Anthology...

Decker 01-07-10 03:51 PM

Hands on video of the Game Room:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dyDDQRelISU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dyDDQRelISU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

chuckd21 01-07-10 03:59 PM

Does make it look somewhat enticing. I loved dicking around with the crib in NFL 2K5.

pinata242 01-07-10 04:04 PM

There's tons of potential here and it looks like they've taken great care with it so far. Hopefully it will import some of our XBLA games as well.

OldBoy 01-07-10 04:20 PM

what exactly is this game room thing?

Raul3 01-07-10 04:21 PM

lol

pinata242 01-07-10 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9929039)

We can't help you if you don't help yourself. Read the thread for the last 20 hours!

Groucho 01-07-10 04:44 PM

How do I read previous posts in this thread?

pinata242 01-07-10 04:47 PM

That was answered on the last page! C'MON!

Decker 01-07-10 04:54 PM

http://www.cardcow.com/images/set51/...rd00033_fr.jpg

JasonF 01-07-10 04:58 PM

So .... it's just a new shell that they're putting around all the retro games, plus something about medals and achievements that I couldn't hear because the guy was standing 400 yards from the microphone when he said it.

Anyway, I don't really care about having my own virtual arcade versus going to the approrpiate blade on the XBL screen and picking a game off a list, but whatever -- if it gets some good retro games on the system, why not.

Liver&Onions 01-07-10 05:13 PM

wtf

Decker 01-07-10 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions (Post 9929158)
wtf

what exactly does this "wtf" abbreviation mean?

xmiyux 01-07-10 06:15 PM

I think the Game Room thing could be cool if it does a few things well...

1. It says friends can come into your arcade and try the games... it needs to be more than simply the same game trial we always get. I want my friends to come into my arcade and be able to play any game i bought as if they had the full game. Achievements and such would be locked for them but otherwise - play away.

2. Take a note from the Skee-Ball game on the iPhone. Make playing the games generate tickets or something that you can redeem at a concession stand in the arcade for stupid shit to decorate your room. Think the quarter machines in Shenmue.

3. I want multiple people to be able to play one game at the same time so high scores could be compared. A built in interface like in the multiplayer version of Pinball FX that allows simultaneous play and score tracking would be perfect.

4. Built in tournament setups. I want to be able to issue challenges to friends in my game room (Like in Burnout Paradise) and they can choose to join in and all the bracketing and such would be automated by the system.

5. Set up the whole room like the waiting room of Dead or Alive 4. You could run around as goofy ass avatars doing weird dances and stuff and on the wall of the room was a big screen that showed the action going on in the actual game. It was very social and pretty fun.

Eric D. 01-07-10 06:17 PM

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...ts-done-2.html

Decker 01-07-10 06:20 PM

I think you have WAYYYYYY unrealistic expectations for the Game Room. I think it's just straight-up ports with a virtual cabinet user interface. It would be nice if some of the current games were compatible with this (Pac Man CE :drool: ), but I strongly doubt they will be. And that initial list -- there are I think three arcade games I recognize and two of them (Centipede and Tempest) are essentially unplayable with the 360 controller anyway.

xmiyux 01-07-10 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 9929302)
I think you have WAYYYYYY unrealistic expectations for the Game Room. I think it's just straight-up ports with a virtual cabinet user interface. It would be nice if some of the current games were compatible with this (Pac Man CE :drool: ), but I strongly doubt they will be. And that initial list -- there are I think three arcade games I recognize and two of them (Centipede and Tempest) are essentially unplayable with the 360 controller anyway.

Oh i don't think it will happen. I imagine it will end up being a total waste of time. I was merely positing some ideas that i think could turn it into something awesome.

As it stands though, i imagine it will be a new skin on the My Games list. :lol:

Michael Corvin 01-07-10 07:26 PM

You wish is granted on #1. It was posted in the Joystiq article, IIRC.

I think we need a new thread.

xmiyux 01-07-10 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 9929406)
You wish is granted on #1. It was posted in the Joystiq article, IIRC.

I read the article and, iirc, it said visitors could visit your arcade and try before they buy. Technically though, the demos allow that. I want to them to be able to play the whole damn thing all the way through if they so desire. Not a shortened demo version.

mhg83 01-07-10 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux (Post 9929419)
I read the article and, iirc, it said visitors could visit your arcade and try before they buy. Technically though, the demos allow that. I want to them to be able to play the whole damn thing all the way through if they so desire. Not a shortened demo version.

:lol: The day Microsoft lets you do that will be the day pigs fly.

pinata242 01-07-10 08:59 PM

I want my visitors to pay me 20http://marketplace.xbox.com/xweb/lib...ints_12_12.png for each game they play in my arcade.

xmiyux 01-07-10 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 9929651)
I want my visitors to pay me 20http://marketplace.xbox.com/xweb/lib...ints_12_12.png for each game they play in my arcade.

Early on in the hype for XBL didn't they claim users would be able to generate content for games and make a profit from it?

chuckd21 01-07-10 09:02 PM

Some chick was going to make a living making decals for Forza cars...

mugwump 01-07-10 09:25 PM

Being the sad SOB that I am one of the most played games on my MAME machine is Lunar Lander so I'll likely be one of the 11 people worldwide who will pony up for that one.