Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Nintendo DS)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Nintendo DS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-10, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Nintendo DS)

Just preodered on Amazon last night with the new Lego Harry Potter game. Now if only Squeenix would hurry up and release DQ VI, I'll be a very happy camper.
Old 05-22-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm hoping DQ VI gets a US release. Supposedly Square is cutting back on DS games since the R4 piracy is so far out of control now. That is apparently why they won't do the remakes of FF V and VI on the current DS hardware.
Old 05-24-10, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dragon Quest VI is still coming, probably later in the year.

You can actually pre-order it on Amazon, I placed both VI and IX on the same order.
Old 07-09-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't verify at work but I'm hearing that if you grab this at the Toys B Us, you get a $15 GC.

Anyone confirm/deny?
Old 07-09-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I can't verify at work but I'm hearing that if you grab this at the Toys B Us, you get a $15 GC.

Anyone confirm/deny?
That's what it says in the Weekly Ads section of Cheap Ass Gamer, which is pretty reliable.
Old 07-09-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
That's what it says in the Weekly Ads section of Cheap Ass Gamer, which is pretty reliable.
cancelamazonpreorder.gif
Old 07-09-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Toys R Us it is then.
Old 07-09-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm.... Tax on $34.99 here is $2.98. Plus gas and time for going to TRU twice and hoping for a decent deal in the future to justify the 2nd trip.

Too bad Amazon probably won't match this. Is there a precedent for contacting them and getting a comparable deal?
Old 07-09-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a Toys R Us like, three miles from my place and am getting two copies, so it's worth it for me.

Dunno about the Amazon thing though, probably not.
Old 07-09-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll actually be traveling Sunday so it's trip 1 doesn't really count I'm in the market for a new DS and they also have a $25 gc deal if you buy a DSiXL at the same time (don't know if that makes it $40 total). Too bad I've resigned myself to waiting for the 3DS at this point
Old 07-11-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The TRU nearest me didn't have it in today. The lady said that UPS didn't have it in their last shipment, but it should be in tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll have to call the one near my work tomorrow afternoon and see if they have it.
Old 07-11-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked it up today with the gift card. I was very impressed at first with the overall style and production values, but really dislike the fact that unless you play it online with people (which I honestly have no interest in) you have to play with 3 generic characters in your party. I know it was setup this way for a reason, but not being able to add story related characters to your party is a drag. So Dragon Quest VIII this game is not, but hopefully it will still be fun single player. I just got slaughtered by some knight guy so I guess I have a couple of hours of level grinding ahead of me before I can get back to the main story that so far is pretty interesting. I also like the side quests you get from people. So good game, but comparing it to one of my all time favorite games DQ VIII isn't going to bode well for IX.
Old 07-11-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, it's pretty much been said that the multiplayer is the main draw and the single player is just a warm up. I found the same in my 10 hours.
Old 07-12-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd much rather create my own characters than have some generic story-related characters and be bogged down and bored by them.

Anyway, me and my girl grabbed it Sunday morning and pretty much played all day (while watching Season 3 of The Simpsons in the background, woo). This is her first RPG and she took to it pretty well, getting WAY more hooked on it than I would have ever expected.. considering she's always given me grief about playing games where you "take turns and make doodoo menu selections to fight." We're both just past where you can start up multi-player so we'll probably spend some time on that next weekend, if we have time (moving weekend, blech).

The game is feeling super awesome so far. The custom party and class system is going to make this one ridiculously replayable (like DQ3).
Old 07-12-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I fired it up in bed last night, but the weekend had taken it's toll on me and I saved it just before heading back down to the mortal realm. So, really, I haven't done anything.

I am ambivalent about character creation since it ultimately doesn't matter. I won't play online because my wireless network isn't stuck in the past and the DS won't connect to it.

I tried using the stylus controls for a while. They're ok and work pretty well, but too often *I* would change paths and everything would go to shit, so I'm just sticking with the traditional d-pad and A button controls. Works well enough for me.

From what little I played, it is a gorgeous game and makes me wish I had a DSiXL now. I wonder how long before the 3DSXL will hit shelves because I want both
Old 07-12-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Online is just for grabbing new quests, multi-player is local only.

3DS is scheduled for early 2011 at the moment.
Old 07-12-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But that's just the teeny, tiny 3DS. I want a 3DSXL
Old 07-12-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I see what you did.

I don't care about an XL version, but I wouldn't be able to wait either way.
Old 07-12-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

So every review saying how it's now multi-player focused is full of shit?
Old 07-12-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
It's still a full, single-player game that can also be played, in almost its entirely, in multi-player.
Old 07-12-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
There is definitely a focus on multiplayer since you can invite people into your world to help and visit theirs. There are also blue chests that visitors of your world can open and you can get extra maps online. Level 5 put a lot into it and I'm sure it was a huge hit in Japan where you could jump into endless games among your friends or on any subway ride.

You can ignore that and play it through single player though and in the US you pretty much have to. I don't know of anyone that bought it I could play with so its going to be a single player game for me. I'll try the tag mode thing, but the way DQ games sell in the US I doubt I run across anyone unless I can hit a DQ event like Gamestop is having at the end of the month.

I love the story so far which is classic DQ and the main quest and side quests are fun. I do not like my generic band of douche bags that have nothing to say and zero impact on the story. The story companions were my favorite part of DQ VIII so they are definitely missed here even if it is only a minor complaint against the game.
Old 07-12-10, 12:20 PM

THE ADVENTURE IS YOURS IN DRAGON QUEST IX: SENTINELS OF THE STARRY SKIES

Endless Adventure, Customizable Characters and a Unique Social Experience for Nintendo DS Systems Now Available in North America

REDMOND, Wash., July 12, 2010 – One of the biggest games ever to launch for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems has arrived in North America, giving U.S. consumers a chance to experience the hand-held gaming phenomenon that has already attracted more than 4.2 million players in Japan. With unique features that let players customize characters and connect with friends via a local wireless connection to take on epic adventures, DRAGON QUEST IX®: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™, developed by Square Enix Co., Ltd., gives people of all ages, backgrounds and gaming experience levels a remarkable way to combine imaginative game play and social fun.

Players begin by creating fully customized heroes to guide on their quest, choosing from different face, hair and even eye color. As they journey forth, characters are further developed and enhanced as they choose from more than 1,000 items and pieces of equipment, change jobs and abilities, and join up with new customizable companions. Using a local wireless connection, up to four players within range of each other can band together at any time to explore mysterious dungeons and tangle with fearsome monsters throughout a spellbinding world of adventure.

In addition to a wireless multiplayer mode, DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies includes an interactive Tag Mode that allows players to keep the game active even while their Nintendo DS system is stored in their pocket, purse or backpack. When two players come within range of one another, Tag Mode enables them to wirelessly – and automatically – exchange character information, customized greetings and treasure maps. These treasure maps allow players to find otherwise inaccessible dungeons called grottoes featuring special boss monsters and even rare items.

"There's no limit to the fun of DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "The ability to create your own characters and enjoy the game with friends makes every adventure as unique as players themselves. Better yet, the Nintendo DS family of systems makes the game easy for people to enjoy anytime, anywhere."

Interacting with different characters will unfold the story and point players toward their next quest. Players might be asked to find a missing item or to defeat a monster in a particular way. All quests come with a reward, which might be anything from a rare item to a new, unlocked occupation. During their journey, players will encounter mighty monsters in fast-paced battles. The more foes players defeat, the stronger they become. Players who get the urge to upgrade their characters can visit an in-game online shop (broadband Internet access required) to acquire new items using in-game currency they have collected while playing. The selection of items changes daily. Players can also connect online to download new weekly quests for about a year from the launch of the game, each with its own challenges and rewards.
Old 07-12-10, 12:21 PM

THE ADVENTURE IS YOURS IN DRAGON QUEST IX: SENTINELS OF THE STARRY SKIES

Endless Adventure, Customizable Characters and a Unique Social Experience for Nintendo DS Systems Now Available in North America

REDMOND, Wash., July 12, 2010 – One of the biggest games ever to launch for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems has arrived in North America, giving U.S. consumers a chance to experience the hand-held gaming phenomenon that has already attracted more than 4.2 million players in Japan. With unique features that let players customize characters and connect with friends via a local wireless connection to take on epic adventures, DRAGON QUEST IX®: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™, developed by Square Enix Co., Ltd., gives people of all ages, backgrounds and gaming experience levels a remarkable way to combine imaginative game play and social fun.

Players begin by creating fully customized heroes to guide on their quest, choosing from different face, hair and even eye color. As they journey forth, characters are further developed and enhanced as they choose from more than 1,000 items and pieces of equipment, change jobs and abilities, and join up with new customizable companions. Using a local wireless connection, up to four players within range of each other can band together at any time to explore mysterious dungeons and tangle with fearsome monsters throughout a spellbinding world of adventure.

In addition to a wireless multiplayer mode, DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies includes an interactive Tag Mode that allows players to keep the game active even while their Nintendo DS system is stored in their pocket, purse or backpack. When two players come within range of one another, Tag Mode enables them to wirelessly – and automatically – exchange character information, customized greetings and treasure maps. These treasure maps allow players to find otherwise inaccessible dungeons called grottoes featuring special boss monsters and even rare items.

"There's no limit to the fun of DRAGON QUEST IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "The ability to create your own characters and enjoy the game with friends makes every adventure as unique as players themselves. Better yet, the Nintendo DS family of systems makes the game easy for people to enjoy anytime, anywhere."

Interacting with different characters will unfold the story and point players toward their next quest. Players might be asked to find a missing item or to defeat a monster in a particular way. All quests come with a reward, which might be anything from a rare item to a new, unlocked occupation. During their journey, players will encounter mighty monsters in fast-paced battles. The more foes players defeat, the stronger they become. Players who get the urge to upgrade their characters can visit an in-game online shop (broadband Internet access required) to acquire new items using in-game currency they have collected while playing. The selection of items changes daily. Players can also connect online to download new weekly quests for about a year from the launch of the game, each with its own challenges and rewards.
Old 07-15-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm digging the changes to the game so far. Granted I've played 5 hours and I still haven't dealt with the Wight Knight, so I really don't know what all is in store.

I don't like that my companions are generic nobodies, but whatever. I do like the equipment system and new attributes. The overworld is nice in that you can avoid fights when you want to and quickly get into fights for exp farming.

And, as usually, I haven't spent a single skill point yet because I don't know how I want to build my character or how many points I can expect. It would be nice if you could get more information from the skill tree before you allocate a single point. I just want to know what they mean.

Can you reallocate points later?
Old 07-15-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just put points in, there's no wrong way to do it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.