Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

At What Point Do You Give Up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: At What Point Do You Give Up?

lots of times i'll stop playing a game. It's mainly out of boredom. To this day, I've never finished any Final Fantasy game. They're really good at first, but eventually the story gets boring. Although i do want to finish FFX and FFV11.

And i gave up on Chrono Trigger a few months back. I loved the game but i couldn't stand the constant loading times. Whoever ported that game to psx without fixing it needs to be shot.

Last edited by mhg83; 07-13-09 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most times I give up if the shrinkwrap and/or stickers are too tough to get off.
Old 07-14-09, 01:05 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I tried three more times tonight to beat Professor K in Lost Odyssey. Fuck it. I'm done. You beat me, Hironobu Sakaguchi. Are you happy? Do you lay your head on your little Mistwalker pillow every night knowing you're better than the stupid American gamer?
Old 07-14-09, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the game:

GH:III - Fuck it, I don't even play the songs I like anymore because of how much this game pisses me off.

Dead Space - I beat the game 4 or 5 times, but can't get the 2 achievements for shooting the cannon & the Z-baller, fuck it.

Lego Batman - Need one achievement, did it about 10 times but game is glitched, fuck it.

Eat Lead - Stuck on the tentacles, fuck it.

Skate 2 - I can't do a footplant on a dumpster, fuck it.

Dead Rising - Played for 15 hours straight to get the achievement, game froze with minutes left, fuck it.

Soul Calibur IV - Ascended to level 55, Descended to 19 (4x), I can't make it further, fuck it.

Assassin's Creed - Looked for 1 missing flag for over 2 hours, fuck it.
Old 07-14-09, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 971 Likes on 686 Posts

Like most I also gave up on GHIII. What sucks is that the Strat has really improved my game and I know I could do better in GHIII if it was compatible. Stupid Neversoft.
Old 07-14-09, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
It depends on the game:

GH:III - Fuck it, I don't even play the songs I like anymore because of how much this game pisses me off.

Dead Space - I beat the game 4 or 5 times, but can't get the 2 achievements for shooting the cannon & the Z-baller, fuck it.

Lego Batman - Need one achievement, did it about 10 times but game is glitched, fuck it.

Skate 2 - I can't do a footplant on a dumpster, fuck it.

Dead Rising - Played for 15 hours straight to get the achievement, game froze with minutes left, fuck it.

Soul Calibur IV - Ascended to level 55, Descended to 19 (4x), I can't make it further, fuck it.

Assassin's Creed - Looked for 1 missing flag for over 2 hours, fuck it.
You totally nailed my feelings as well!
Old 07-14-09, 09:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like most have said once the game stops being fun and becomes annoying I'll usually pack it up and send it back (I typically rent most of my games via GameFly these days and if I like it there I'll buy it [from them or elsewhere]). Most of the time for me it comes down to games that have timing/sequence levels you have to get through... the last few I can remember:

Blazing Angels 2 - there was a level fairly early on where you're supposed to negotiate narrow streets while blowing up things and protecting someone on the ground (as an side "protection" missions in any game are usually the worst IMHO). Kept crashing into buildings or the person on the ground would end up dying.

God of War II - Got to the final level and couldn't match the timing they wanted for the button pushing. I could make it two or three stages into the fight but would eventually end up dying and then having to rewatch the cut scene before the final battle. Got old fast.

Resident Evil 5 - Speaking of which the final boss battle(s) in this game just kept going on and on IMHO, just got bored w/ it and sent it back.
Old 07-14-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

I reason I don't go back to try to complete a game that I 'gave up on' is...you play the Hell out of a game, you have the controls down, and you 'get the feel' of the game. When you put a game back in that you haven't played in 4-5 months just to try to complete that 'one hard part', you don't have the momentum from building up to that event. My main example of this was Crackdown. I played that game so much and got so far into it, that when I popped it back in after about 6 months I was lost. I couldn't remember how to do certain things, or why I was where I was, or even what I was supposed to be doing, I lost the momentum or feel of the game. The same was for Assassin's Creed, which was one of my favorite games ever, but going back for the flag achievements was more of a chore than entertaining...I should've tried getting them as I played the game or immediately afterwards.
Old 07-14-09, 10:33 AM
Suspended

I reason I don't go back to try to complete a game that I 'gave up on' is...you play the Hell out of a game, you have the controls down, and you 'get the feel' of the game. When you put a game back in that you haven't played in 4-5 months just to try to complete that 'one hard part', you don't have the momentum from building up to that event. My main example of this was Crackdown. I played that game so much and got so far into it, that when I popped it back in after about 6 months I was lost. I couldn't remember how to do certain things, or why I was where I was, or even what I was supposed to be doing, I lost the momentum or feel of the game. The same was for Assassin's Creed, which was one of my favorite games ever, but going back for the flag achievements was more of a chore than entertaining...I should've tried getting them as I played the game or immediately afterwards.
Generally, when I go back to a game I haven't played in a while, I will start from the begining. If it's been long enough that I've forgotten the controls and why I'm at the point I'm at, it's long enough that I will enjoy replaying the parts I already did the first time.
Old 07-14-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If you are talking about the part where you shoot asteroids with the cannon, it helps a lot to turn the in-game brightness option all the way up. This lets you see the asteroids while they are still very far away.

For Z-baller, just ignore the instructions. Don't bother jumping from platform to platform. Just stay on the bottom platform closest to the goals. Kinesis grab the ball and shoot for the open goal. You should get it really easily by doing this. Jumping around makes it 10x harder.
Old 07-14-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It depends on the game:

Exactly the same 2 problems for me....I even went to "easy" in eat lead to try the tentacles and died another 25 times.
Old 07-14-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 471 Likes on 326 Posts

I hear what you're saying and it makes logical sense. But my experience has always been that when I'm stuck, and I go back months later, I end up getting past what I was stuck on, not really understanding why I was stuck in the first place. It's almost like I was doing it so wrong initially, that I had to unlearn what I knew in order to progress.
Old 07-14-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i finished tales of vesperia, but i agree that the dungeon was very frustrating.
They definitely needed to add alot more save points in that game.
what i did was take a piece of paper and mapped out the dungeon.

The only 2 games i gave up on are
Lost Planet - only made it 1/2 way to the game before it became impossible.

rogue galaxy on the ps2 where in the end, there were about 8-10 boss battles in a row with no save point. It got very repetitive when trying to get to the last boss and i got really pissed.
Old 07-14-09, 12:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by timewaster
Lost Planet - only made it 1/2 way to the game before it became impossible.
I've tried many times to beat that damned moth and I never can. Screw you, giant alien moth!
Old 07-14-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

When the fun goes to none.

It's one reason I can't get 10 minutes into Tales of Vesperia, I really need to work on my ADD.
Old 07-14-09, 12:53 PM

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,345 Posts

I usually give up on a game after I've defeated a ton of powerful enemies and the game feels like it's about to come to a natural conclusion only to have the lion-shaped boat tell me I have to sail all over a gigantic map and hope I can use a winch to find all of these shiny golden triangle things one by one.
Old 07-14-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I quit games all the time. I usually find it to be much more satisfying to actually finish them. However, I have no patience for punitive games. My time is limited and I am not going to take 40 times to beat a boss or level. This is one of the reasons I haven’t played a fire emblem game. I don’t want to have to save before every battle just in case.
Old 07-14-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I've tried many times to beat that damned moth and I never can. Screw you, giant alien moth!
Geez, the moth was no joke, but I gave him the business. It just took me a dozen tries.
Old 07-14-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Like many of you, I am stuck trying to bring that frikkin' star Destroyer down in SW:TFU. talk about frustrating!
Old 07-15-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
If you are talking about the part where you shoot asteroids with the cannon, it helps a lot to turn the in-game brightness option all the way up. This lets you see the asteroids while they are still very far away.
For some reason, I can't seem to pass this part in the game ... I tried damn near thirty times, but I still can't do it ... I don't understand why I suck at this part of the game ... I stopped playing it because it was no longer a fun game ... it just pissed me off knowing that when I get back to Dead Space, the freaking asteroids are waiting for me ...
Old 07-15-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To be honest, I can't even remember the dungeon you're talking about, although I'm sure I could recollect it if I read through a faq. I guess I never got stuck anywhere in that game. Good luck with it though!
Old 07-15-09, 08:41 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 263 Posts

I give up if this guy wants to share a controller.
Old 07-15-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by buckee1
Like many of you, I am stuck trying to bring that frikkin' star Destroyer down in SW:TFU. talk about frustrating!
I just did that too, the biggest advice that I can give is that you have to make the star destroyer level with you before you bring it down. The reason this is important is because the on screen prompts sometimes tell you the wrong thing to do, especially when it's close to the bottom. That sequence was poorly designed.
Old 07-16-09, 01:43 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually finish all of my games -- I kind of feel like I don't get my money out of them if I don't. However there are times when I just get pissed off or bored with a game and I shelf or sell it.

I just got Stranglehold for 6 bucks. this is a game that i probably won't finish unless something in the game changes. i am sick of these "find and destroy" missions -- destroy drug dens, set bombs on all ships, etc... This crap is just boring and aggravating to me.
Old 07-16-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 971 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
I just got Stranglehold for 6 bucks. this is a game that i probably won't finish unless something in the game changes. i am sick of these "find and destroy" missions -- destroy drug dens, set bombs on all ships, etc... This crap is just boring and aggravating to me.
Ahem...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.