Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Tips for Beating the Summer Game Drought!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Tips for Beating the Summer Game Drought!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 09:13 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Tips for Beating the Summer Game Drought!

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Never heard of the game or you saying it is a crap title?
Crap title. My son bought this, and he kept asking me to help in tough parts. He never finished it and took it back for a trade-in the next day.
Old 07-02-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
If you like Half-Life or Resident Evil, I'd play Fallout first. It's also smaller and probably more accessible with less inventory/magic management.
Cool, yeah, love both of those. I'll have to check it out...
Old 07-02-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Crap title. My son bought this, and he kept asking me to help in tough parts. He never finished it and took it back for a trade-in the next day.
It got some decent reviews. You have the morphine mode if it gets too difficult. Only thing I didnt like is once u get discovered, it's pretty much game over.
Old 07-02-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only thing I didnt like is once u get discovered, it's pretty much game over.
Multiply that by AI seeing you through walls and you get a shit title.
Old 07-02-09, 01:16 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Corvin, I was the same way when I started playing Fallout 3. I only put it in the XBox because I didn't have anything else to play and my roommate left it out.

Ended up being my favorite game of last year (and one of my favorite games of all time).

The only other RPG I've played in my life was Final Fantasy Legends 3 on the Gameboy when I was a kid.

= J
Count me in as another non-RPG fan who fell in love with Fallout 3. My fiance bought it for me (the day I proposed to her!), but even then, I wasn't sure what I was getting into.

I spent a good 50 hours on it in that first two weeks. Now... I haven't played it much since then... but from what I remember, I'm right near the end of the game. I want to get all the expansion packs... but I think I'll wait for the physical release of the last two, as the first two are definitely cheaper that way (at least for Canadians).

This thread has resurrected my interest in Fallout 3 I'll finish it by the end of the month, then I'll tackle Burnout Paradise again.
Old 07-02-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Velvet Assassin sucked. I played through it completely (I got 880 points I believe), but it was brutal. It had a chance to be a really good game, but they really dropped the ball.

Here is my review:
Spoiler:

Well, it really is that bad. Graphically, regular xbox at best. Everything that you need to do, like climb, jump, pick up items, open doors, etc... has the A button light up, which really dumbs the game down because even if you don't see something, it basically gives it to you.

You have to sneak up on enemies for a silent kill, which is "PRESS A" then a cinematic (every time). The X button makes you hop up on some morphine for a couple of seconds, which strangely enough must mess up your enemies because they can't see or hit you when you're juiced (retarded). The right bumper makes you crouch at a snail's pace, and the left bumper is a flashlight. The B button let's you drag bodies, and the left/right triggers are for aiming and attacking. Speaking of...the gun-play is so fucking horrible. Aiming is like trying to get the bead on a housefly with a BB gun and attacking with the knife is too slow. You can slice them once, then they usually shoot you, then you slice another one or two times, then they shoot you, etc...

Now for the real disappointment of this bag o' shit...The AI. Let's say there are three patrolling soldiers, all within 15 feet of each other. You take one out via silenced pistol and the others look around for a couple seconds, then go back to patrolling. Kill the power? ...Nothing strange here, let's keep patrolling in the dark. They walk the exact same short patrol endlessly until you decide to kill them, and sometimes you have to wait for two guards to disperse before you can kill them, but first you have to listen to their horrendous dialogue, and I quote..." I know you stole my chocolate bar and I will turn you in and you will be put against the wall for it, you thief!"...pathetic.

I think my last major gripe is the broken save system. You're strolling through the level...you find a couple collectibles, a medpack, kill some guys, travel from here to there, then die. Well, guess what? You get to go all the way back to the last save point, which is usually way-the-fuck back, and you have to re-collect everything again, and I mean everything. You don't have an option to save, and the few autosaves that it does just simply aren't often enough.

Your character starts out with shitty sneak skill/speed, you can only carry one morphine syringe, and you pretty much die in one or two shots. After you find so many collectible items, you get to upgrade one attribute one time, then find more & repeat.

Now for the good stuff...umm, the game has achievements!!!! The downside to that is you actually have to play this shitfest to get them. They do seem to be fairly easy to get so far, and I'm going to at least try to end up with 400 or so, if I can stomach it that long. I hate having to repeat the same shit over & over after you die.

So, that's my review. I'm going to give it a 2 outta 10. Please, don't waste your time. Catch up on some other games, beat the wife & kids, or rip off some irritating hangnails before you consider playing this game. I haven't been this disappointed since the last time I played my Wii.
Old 07-02-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joystiq: We're just gonna come right out and say it: July 2009 may be the worst month for new retail releases ever.
Old 07-02-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a blessing in disguise for me. I still need to finish Infamous, Prototype, Red Faction, and a bunch of other recent releases.
Old 07-02-09, 04:15 PM
gamer for life

It got some decent reviews. You have the morphine mode if it gets too difficult. Only thing I didnt like is once u get discovered, it's pretty much game over.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...velvetassassin

decent reviews?
Old 07-02-09, 04:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ 9 of those reviews are above 70. I'd say that constitutes 'Some Decent Reviews'.
Old 07-02-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
^ 9 of those reviews are above 70. I'd say that constitutes 'Some Decent Reviews'.
Old 07-02-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Yeah, but I think there were 31 reviews below 70, including some 20-30 action. After reading the reviews, I think mine was dead-on, lol.
Old 07-31-09, 03:57 PM
gamer for life

Meta score continues to drop on Velvet as more reviews come out. "Paid" reviews that come out first are never to be trusted.
Old 12-22-09, 05:17 PM
gamer for life

16 reviews 50 or below...I am sure glad we all bought Velvet Assassin to get us through that summer drought.... I don't think I could have made it.....thank you jeffbase34 ....
Old 12-22-09, 07:19 PM

I am sure glad we all got to experience the bump of a 5 month dead thread, in order to point out somebody else's silliness.

Thank you for the irony.
Old 12-22-09, 08:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I'll set a reminder in my outlook calendar to make sure I bump this thread in July 2010 so I can do the same thing.

Spoiler:
no.
Spoiler:
But the Bread Thread in Movie Talk definitely deserves a bump in the near future
Old 12-22-09, 11:17 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by mr.snowmizer
I am sure glad we all got to experience the bump of a 5 month dead thread, in order to point out somebody else's silliness.

Thank you for the irony.
I aim to please.....

must be sad that you can't watch any good movies that are more than 5 months old though...I always say a good thread/book/movie deserves a look from time to time...and anytime you reference a Monty Python movie..a thread is an instant classic.
Old 12-23-09, 12:43 AM

I aim to please.....

must be sad that you can't watch any good movies that are more than 5 months old though...
That conclusion is less logical than anything found previously in this thread.

In five months, somebody's going to have to revive the thread to laugh at you.
Old 12-23-09, 07:46 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by mr.snowmizer
That conclusion is less logical than anything found previously in this thread.

In five months, somebody's going to have to revive the thread to laugh at you.
and I will have brought joy to another...I win again!!!
Old 12-23-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

16 reviews 50 or below...I am sure glad we all bought Velvet Assassin to get us through that summer drought.... I don't think I could have made it.....thank you jeffbase34 ....
You are quite welcome. And since you see fit to dig up old threads begging for more quality content stemming from my superior intellect, I will gladly contribute new threads on a frequent basis. Nice to feel appreciated!
Old 12-23-09, 11:34 AM
gamer for life

You are quite welcome. And since you see fit to dig up old threads begging for more quality content stemming from my superior intellect, I will gladly contribute new threads on a frequent basis. Nice to feel appreciated!
It's Christmas...think of this as my gift to you....no need to return the favor....your happiness is gift enough.