Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst video game experience...EVER!!!!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-10-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts
Re: Worst video game experience...EVER!!!!

The hockey gods hate stuff like this. So, as a Pens fan - thanks!
I'll keep my mouth shut for Friday's game

Worst experience ever -- Empire Strikes Back on the Atari 2600. Really, they just keep coming? It NEVER ends? WTF?
Old 06-10-09, 08:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Played the original Half-Life on the PC. Got about 3/4 of the way thru, but a software bug prevented further progress. I had multiple saves, but all of them were past the point where the bug hit. I would have had to start over from the beginning. I lost about 20 hours of gameplay. Never went back and played it again.
Old 06-10-09, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Wow, I never heard about any of that, I didn't even know there were freezing issues with it. I've been through the entire game 4 or 5 times and never had an issue, and tried survival mode 3-4 times also without any problems. How does a game cause the RRoD? Isn't that a hardware failure?
Since the Survivor achievements require the system to run an insanely long time, the early systems would get super hot causing the RROD. Since most of the RROD systems have been rectified though and you probably don't have to worry about it anymore. It was also speculated that Dead Rising pushed the hardware more than any game at the time which taxed the system even further. You put that much strain on the system for 12 hours straight and it's not hard to imagine something giving. I wonder if installing to the hard drive helps it any.
Old 06-10-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I was playing through Baten Kaitos for the Gamecube and had at least 50 hours in the game, which was quite a chore toward the end. I was playing through the final area when I bought my Wii and decided to finish it on the new system. Little did I know the Wii has an issue with wiping the larger memory cards. Poof!
Old 06-10-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
You know what feels worse? The Penguin's fans watching the Wings skate with the cup on their home ice 2 years in a row... so cheer up, it's just a video game
Well, it didn't happen in Pittsburgh. I can't wait to see Hossa watch the Pens skate around holding up the cup...has Hossa even played in this series?

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 06-10-09 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it didn't happen in Pittsburgh. I can't wait to see Hossa watch the Pens skate around holding up the cup...has Hossa even played in this series?
He took a stupid goalie interference penalty because he thought he could check Fleury behind the net. I do remember that. I certainly don't remember him much last night.

I also remember another big video game disaster I had... I was determined to play through every single game in the MLB schedule for the Braves in High Heat 2003 (totally an underrated baseball game) and I'd just passed game 120 or something, the game froze during the load for the game. When I reset, the save file had apparently been corrupted. I never tried to do that again.
Old 06-10-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jdpatri
He took a stupid goalie interference penalty because he thought he could check Fleury behind the net. I do remember that. I certainly don't remember him much last night.
I know he's playing, but he hasn't scored a goal, he's missed countless easy opportunities, his passes have been horrible, and he seems lathargic...hardly superstar status.

I will cry if he scores the game winning goal in game 7.

I also remember another big video game disaster I had... I was determined to play through every single game in the MLB schedule for the Braves in High Heat 2003 (totally an underrated baseball game) and I'd just passed game 120 or something, the game froze during the load for the game. When I reset, the save file had apparently been corrupted. I never tried to do that again.
That reminds me of Oblivion for me, 100+ hours in, level 41 or something, and my son turned the 360 off while it loaded...lost it all.
Old 06-10-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

jdparti reminded me of One of my favorite gaming memories: beating an entire season of MVP Baseball 2005. It took me about 2 years, but I did it.
Old 06-10-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts

I know he's playing, but he hasn't scored a goal, he's missed countless easy opportunities, his passes have been horrible, and he seems lathargic...hardly superstar status.
We can't understand it here in Detroit either. He's gotta be hurt - all he does is the dump and no chase. The guy was money all during the regular season and now *poof* like most of your game saves, he's gone.
I'll give game 7 to the Wings because it's in Detroit and they've been there, done that... but I think Pittsburgh will see a few Cups in the next 5-8 years. Everyone is under 25 on that team it seems.
Old 06-11-09, 11:47 AM
Cool New Member

i was playing burnout and i accidently turn it off and the next thing i know the texas chainsaw massacre was on so i watched it then after the movie i went to load my saved game and it was corrupted... pity

Leather Face - 3 Me- 0

Last edited by carloslee34; 06-11-09 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 11:53 AM
Cool New Member

bull****, i will give you 100,000$ and my right nut if the penguins win, GO WINGS
Old 06-11-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I was playing Wizards and Warriors at my grandparent's house on the original NES. Had been playing for several hours, had gotten farther than I ever had before and felt like the end was in sight.

My parents were helping my grandparents renovate the bathroom (which is why I had gotten to play for as long as I did...no one was using the TV) and they tripped the circuit breaker, killing power to the whole house. Including the NES.

I don't know if I ever played that game again.
Old 06-11-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, and who could forge the days of walking-by-the-TV-and-accidentially-tripping-on-the-controller-cord-sending-your-system-flying?

A few terrible memories there.
Old 06-11-09, 12:24 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by lordwow
Oh, and who could forge the days of walking-by-the-TV-and-accidentially-tripping-on-the-controller-cord-sending-your-system-flying?

A few terrible memories there.
lol i still do that
Old 06-11-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by carloslee34
bull****, i will give you 100,000$ and my right nut if the penguins win, GO WINGS
I'll gladly take the $100,000, but you can keep your nut.

Old 06-11-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

... reading about hockey in a video game thread.

Old 06-11-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
You know what feels worse? The Penguin's fans watching the Wings skate with the cup on their home ice 2 years in a row... so cheer up, it's just a video game
Hey, I didn't start it...this was the first reply in this thread
Old 06-11-09, 02:15 PM

just to even it out

Old 06-11-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Okage.

People had told me it was a fun, hilarious game. It started out... kind of funny... but not really. What it had from the very start was an insanely awful fight system (basically a modified rock-paper-scissors system where the "rocks" would destroy any of the "scissors." You almost always got to go first, so fights were roughly 5 seconds and not a challenge at all.)

After about 10 hours of play (not in a row!) I'm through the fourth chapter. There are only 6 chapters, so I figure probably another 10 hours and I can put the game to rest. Then Chapter 5 took 20 freaking hours on its own. The whole time I'm playing I'm cursing at what an awful game it is. When I beat the final bad baddie, do I bask in the ending cinematic? Nope. I realize "I don't care," and turn it off mid-cinema.
Old 06-11-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Worst video game experience? Getting into an argument with 2 other video game nerds about what the story of "Braid" was all about. Not only were there 3 different theories, there were 3 *WILDLY DIFFERENT* theories, and NONE of them made sense.

Great game. Pointless storyline.

If we're talking personal frustrations, it was trying to finish "Green Grass & High Tides" on Expert Guitar in Rock Band 1. I'd continuously fail out of it about 92% of the way into the song. Eventually I gave up on getting that achievement, although I haven't tried it again in well over a year. Wonder if I could do better now? I used to like that song. Now I don't even have a potato for mother.
Old 06-11-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

The first that comes to mind is Ultima VI: The False Prophet for the C64. That port came out much later than the other version, and was extremely buggy. I remember running into a game-stopping bug probably several hundred hours into the game in which it was impossible to pick up an item needed to continue. I ended up exchanging the game and running through it again on a different C64 only to run into the same problem again. Fun.
Old 06-11-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
I was playing Wizards and Warriors at my grandparent's house on the original NES. Had been playing for several hours, had gotten farther than I ever had before and felt like the end was in sight.

My parents were helping my grandparents renovate the bathroom (which is why I had gotten to play for as long as I did...no one was using the TV) and they tripped the circuit breaker, killing power to the whole house. Including the NES.

I don't know if I ever played that game again.
Wow. I just shuddered remembering that game. I'd blocked it from my mind.
Old 06-11-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

... reading about hockey in a video game thread.

Hey. Go back to the Rock Band thread where you belong. I'm sure you've got some Tuesday DLC to discuss soon.
Old 06-11-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey. Go back to the Rock Band thread where you belong. I'm sure you've got some Tuesday DLC to discuss soon.
Not this week! : pout :
Old 06-11-09, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Not this week! : pout :
Feel the burn.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.