Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guybrush Threepwood is back: Tales of Monkey Island

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guybrush Threepwood is back: Tales of Monkey Island

Telltale Games is releasing the first new Monkey Island game in almost a decade starting July 7.

During a heated battle with his nemesis, the evil pirate LeChuck, Guybrush unwittingly unleashes an insidious pox that rapidly spreads across the Caribbean, turning pirates into zombie-like monsters. The Voodoo Lady sends Guybrush in search of a legendary sea sponge to stem the epidemic, but this seemingly straightforward quest has surprises around every corner.

Join Guybrush for a 5-episode adventure filled with intrigue, betrayal, suspense, and a rich, gooey helping of piratey goodness. Not to mention the second biggest... oh wait, you've heard that one before? Starting July 7, Tales of Monkey Island episodes will be released each month for PC. The games will also be coming to WiiWare™.

http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland
Old 06-01-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Guybrush Threepwood is back: Tales of Monkey Island

I've already preordered on PC. This and the Special Edition of Secret of Monkey Island are no brainers for me!
Old 06-01-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts

Classic games.
Old 07-07-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Telltale's site is getting slammed, I guess with people waiting for the release
Old 07-07-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Is this different from the XBLA game coming tomorrow?
Old 07-07-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Is this different from the XBLA game coming tomorrow?
I thought the XBLA game was next week? But yeah, they are two different things. There's the Special Edition remake of the original game (XBLA and PC) and then there's the Telltale Games episodic series Tales of Monkey Island (PC, and later on, WiiWare).
Old 07-07-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's out
Old 07-09-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How is it?

I think I'm buying this and some of the LucasArts stuff off Steam this weekend. Wallace and Gromit Ep 1 is free if you buy Tales of Monkey Island there.
Old 07-09-09, 07:26 PM
Banned

I just finished it. I liked it. It isn't as good as the old SCUMM games, but it isn't bad either.

The controls are rather clunky. You can't just point-and-click a spot to walk. You have to hold down the mouse button and drag the mouse in the direction you want Guybrush to walk.

It took me about 5 hours to play through it. I didn't have the hint system turned on though, and I got stumped on a few of the puzzles for a while. If you are playing it with hints or walkthrough in hand, you could get through the game in 3 hours easily.

It kind of peeves me that there is no resolution to the story at all. It just basically ends with a "to be continued in part 2." I thought the episodes were supposed to be standalone, but I guess I was wrong.
Old 07-09-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I read an interview with the lead producer and he said that while previous Telltale episodic games were more stand alone since there was more of a risk with players only playing an individual episode and not the rest, they wanted to do a bigger story with Monkey Island.

But yeah, I just started and the controls are terrible. I don't see why they didn't stick with clicking somewhere and letting Guybrush walk there.
Old 07-09-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I've never played the old monkey island games before. I just cant see why people are excited for the game. What sets this apart from other adventure games? Or is it just a nostalgia trip? Not thread crapping just wondering if its a game i would enjoy?
Old 07-10-09, 04:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mhg83
I've never played the old monkey island games before. I just cant see why people are excited for the game. What sets this apart from other adventure games? Or is it just a nostalgia trip? Not thread crapping just wondering if its a game i would enjoy?

Have you ever played any point-n-click adventure games at all, or just not the Monkey Island series? I can understand why a person might not like the genre itself. This genre of games is all about story, and I know some people don't care about stories in their gaming. Plus, there really isn't anything gameplaywise other than solving puzzles. There isn't any combat (other than puzzle-based combat like insult swordfighting... not real button mashing combat).

For me personally, I love the point-n-click adventure games because the stories are usually pretty good, better than most game stories at least. The puzzles are usually very clever and make you think. The old SCUMM games in particular are very good with excellent storylines and lots of humor too. Have you ever played Maniac Mansion? That was the original SCUMM game. I think about anyone that grew up with the NES has fond memories of nuking the hamster in the microwave in Maniac Mansion.

If you have never played a Monkey Island game, I would recommend starting with the special edition remake of the original game that is coming out on PC and XBL this coming week. The original game is still the best in the Monkey Island series.
Old 07-10-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Adventure games are basically RPGs with more puzzles and no battle system.

So it's the humor, puzzles, characters, story and locale that makes Monkey Island -- it has all in spades and oozes personality (at least the old ones did).

Though not quite as transporting as Grim Fandango, that game existed on a whole 'nother level.
Old 07-10-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It's out
I went on xbox live and its not on there. Are you living in bizarro world???
Old 07-10-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PC
Old 07-10-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
PC
Of the very few point and click adventure games I've played, they really suck on consoles. Zack and Wiki on the wii worked well since the wiimote is kinda like a mouse.

So I'll probably get it on pc. Is there a demo out before i can buy it?
Old 07-10-09, 07:05 PM
Banned

Tales of Monkey Island is only for PC and WiiWare. They aren't going to be released on XBL or PSN for whatever reason.

The special edition remake of the first game (Secret of Monkey Island) is coming to PC and XBL this week.

So I'll probably get it on pc. Is there a demo out before i can buy it?
Four links to the demo on the main Tales site.

http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland

Last edited by taffer; 07-10-09 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Edited to add demo link