Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Rock Band: Official Thread

Yeah, I posted about that in the BL thread itself. Shitty move. Sour grapes.
Old 06-04-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,185 Likes on 725 Posts

I got back into Rock Band recently and there are some things that are just bugging the shit out of me.

The World Tour: It sucks. It is way too long and way too repetitive. I like the way they integrate your DLC into the tour but it is just TOO DAMN LONG. If I have to play or sing "We Got The Beat" one more time, I believe I might kill someone. GH:WT got it right in this aspect. Get in, get out, play the songs. Done.

The Vocals. Do they really have to chart every Oooo and Ahhh sung by the original singer. You are doing great on a song and then out of nowhere they want you to strictly adhere to Eddie Vedder's wail that you can barely even hear on the damn cd. Why not make shit like that freestyle? Granted I am doing the vocal tour on Expert so they are more strict but this sort of stuff should not be charted.

The Background Singing: Please tell me there is a way to turn this off because I can't find it. Some of the people sing so loud and obnoxious in the background that they even drown out the real singer. I hate that shit when I go to a real concert and I hate that shit on the game. I didn't go to a concert to hear how the local douchebag thinks he can sing just like Billy Corgan and I didn't play this game to hear Harmonix's background singers sing it either. Ugh.

I am sure there is more stuff but those are the major items chapping my ass right now. Thank you.
Old 06-04-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 934 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
The World Tour: It sucks. It is way too long and way too repetitive. I like the way they integrate your DLC into the tour but it is just TOO DAMN LONG. If I have to play or sing "We Got The Beat" one more time, I believe I might kill someone. GH:WT got it right in this aspect. Get in, get out, play the songs. Done.
Skip around cities and countries. If you play multiple gigs in the same place you are going to play the same songs.

The Vocals. Do they really have to chart every Oooo and Ahhh sung by the original singer.
Pretty minor, but I do agree. The 'talky' intro to Ballroom Blitz comes to mind. At least that one is damn funny to hear in a party atmosphere.

The Background Singing: Please tell me there is a way to turn this off because I can't find it. Some of the people sing so loud and obnoxious in the background that they even drown out the real singer. I hate that shit when I go to a real concert and I hate that shit on the game. I didn't go to a concert to hear how the local douchebag thinks he can sing just like Billy Corgan and I didn't play this game to hear Harmonix's background singers sing it either. Ugh.
I love this aspect of the game. I enjoy the clapping along with the beat as well. It's not in every song and it's only when you are on a streak so it's very infrequent. You're supposed to be in a live atmosphere anyway and the singing/clapping along just adds to that.
Old 06-04-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Vocals. Do they really have to chart every Oooo and Ahhh sung by the original singer. You are doing great on a song and then out of nowhere they want you to strictly adhere to Eddie Vedder's wail that you can barely even hear on the damn cd. Why not make shit like that freestyle? Granted I am doing the vocal tour on Expert so they are more strict but this sort of stuff should not be charted.
Freestyle sections (like those in GH:WT) are fucking horrible. Doing vocalizations are some of my favorite parts on vocals. I want to sing everything that the lead vocalist sang on the track.
Old 06-04-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Skip around cities and countries. If you play multiple gigs in the same place you are going to play the same songs.

I love this aspect of the game. I enjoy the clapping along with the beat as well. It's not in every song and it's only when you are on a streak so it's very infrequent. You're supposed to be in a live atmosphere anyway and the singing/clapping along just adds to that.
Then why the fuck am I playing "we got the beat" in every city be it Chicago or London?

And even on the mystery songs, they repeat quite often. Fucking Bon Jovi all the time or one certain Police song. They need to fix the randomizer.

And that's great you like it but they could at least give you the option to turn it down or off. I don't mind the clapping and crowd noise but when one or two people in the crowd are standing out above the lead singer's vocals...that's a little too much.

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Freestyle sections (like those in GH:WT) are fucking horrible. Doing vocalizations are some of my favorite parts on vocals. I want to sing everything that the lead vocalist sang on the track.
I do as well...words that is. I just don't want to be penalized when the singer comes out of nowhere with a Wattttaaaaerrrrrtttyyyaaaaaeeee!!!! and you have to go up and down and all around and then it fucks up your points.

But you are Mr. Superman Rock Band so I would not expect you to understand. I see your scores on my leader boards for every instrument...and I weep.
Old 06-04-09, 04:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I absolutely loathed the way the gigs were set up in GH:WT. Pre-set setlists are so Guitar Hero II.
Old 06-04-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I absolutely loathed the way the gigs were set up in GH:WT. Pre-set setlists are so Guitar Hero II.
I agree. I guess it comes down to personal preference, but GH:WT's tour mode presentation seemed like just a bunch of songs thrown together. RB's tour mode gives you some sense of traveling around the world and playing sets and making some sort of progression. There's still plenty of room for improvement, but GH:WT's approach felt very lazy and uninspired to me.
Old 06-04-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 157 Posts

The World Tour: It sucks. It is way too long and way too repetitive. I like the way they integrate your DLC into the tour but it is just TOO DAMN LONG.
Agreed... I actually never even finished (didn't care for the remaining songs anyways) I hope with RB3 they will at least offer a non-tour mode, just give me the list of songs to play thru please.
Old 06-04-09, 06:26 PM
Banned by request

RB2 has a non tour mode, it's the band challenges. It's pre-made setlists that revolve around different themes. Just like in World Tour mode, you get fans and money for each set you play.
Old 06-04-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
RB2 has a non tour mode, it's the band challenges. It's pre-made setlists that revolve around different themes. Just like in World Tour mode, you get fans and money for each set you play.
Are they just the new songs and are they available in quickplay after you finish them?
Old 06-04-09, 06:34 PM
Banned by request

I'm not sure if they are available in quickplay after you finish them, because I played through WT mode first.

The sets contain all the on-disc songs from RB2, but if you download other content new optional sets will pop up that incorporate them. You don't have to play the DLC sets in order to advance.
Old 06-04-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Are they just the new songs and are they available in quickplay after you finish them?
Tour Challenges unlock new songs faster than going through World Tour. And the challenges themselves are incorporate on-disc and DLC. They aren't just the currently unavailable songs, but you won't have as much repetition to get new songs unlocked.

And, yeah, once they're unlocked, you can play them in Quick Play.
Old 06-04-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Then why the fuck am I playing "we got the beat" in every city be it Chicago or London?

Sounds like you need to unlock the songs. Don't do it in World Tour mode it will take forever. Play the 'Marathon Challenges' to unlock them all the most efficiently.
Old 06-05-09, 07:33 AM

I think the fastest way to unlock all songs is to play the decades challenges. I think you play 5 sets of about 4 songs each, and all 84 songs get unlocked.
Old 06-05-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 934 Likes on 659 Posts

So is it just Maiden next week or should we be expecting an announcement today?
Old 06-05-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So is it just Maiden next week or should we be expecting an announcement today?
We'll know in an hour or so.

If I had to wager a bet, I'd say that there's not going to be anything else coming next week. They haven't announced the Iron Maiden stuff on their forums yet, so I'm pretty sure that's all it will be. Twelve tracks from one of the best metal bands in the world ain't good enough for ya?
Old 06-05-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by porieux
Sounds like you need to unlock the songs. Don't do it in World Tour mode it will take forever. Play the 'Marathon Challenges' to unlock them all the most efficiently.

That's the weird thing. I think I have unlocked most of all the songs. And I have a shit-ton of DLC and the old Rock Band 1 songs. I wish they pulled from your DLC more often and kept a count of how many times you played a song so you wouldn't repeat until you have played everything.

I just started in one city, did the sets, went to the next city, did the sets, etc. instead of jumping around to every country. I expected some repetition in the beginning of course but now that I have only a few European countries left, I was expecting less. I just would like a shorter tour. A nice middle ground between the current system and the GH:WT would be fine.
Old 06-05-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You don't need to "complete" World Tour. In Rock Band 1, they had achievements for playing every gig in each city. That isn't as stringent here. There is a point in time that the World Tour just dies.

The gigs are pretty much pre-set in those. And the fact that you get at most 1 "random" gig per venue (3 per city) doesn't help your view of it. It is meant to be a canned experience with only a little variety.

It's built around the 84 on-disc songs. This is done for consistency in difficulty progression as well as "regional (loosely)" acts.

If you want randomness, go into quickplay and build your own random setlist of up to 100 songs and quit yer bitchin'!

Last edited by pinata242; 06-05-09 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-05-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't need to complete the World Tour, then why the hell is it there in the first place? Bizarre.

And why design it to be a "canned experience with only a little variety?"

I find this completely odd.

So I just need to go back and just play the game under quickplay everytime? There's no reason to do the world tours for the various instruments? I'm confused.
Old 06-05-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The game ships and a person buys it. There is only 1 guarantee from the development view: this user has these 84 songs.

The WT mode must be tailored to that. They add some variety by having random gigs that can branch out of that. But for the most part you have single-song gigs and other canned setlists based on difficulty/decade/region. This is the World Tour mode for Rock Band.

Everything could be random, sure, but then not all the songs could be showcased.

They added the Tour Challenges to be a more dynamic experience based on your DLC.

Quickplay is there so you can play whatever you want, whenever you want.
Old 06-05-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you don't need to complete the World Tour, then why the hell is it there in the first place? Bizarre.
Its the "game" part of the game. You pretend to be a Rock Band, earning money for stuff, and managers and equipment and such.

And why design it to be a "canned experience with only a little variety?"
Its the game aspect again. Beat song, get stuff. Repeat.
The reason you are getting alot of the same songs I suspect is because you are going to each city in order. The cities progress up in difficulty, so you are seeing a bunch of the easier tiered songs again and again because you are playing easy cities.

Until you get the bus and the plane expect a lot of repeats of easier songs. Once you are able to travel across the world then you get less repeats.

So I just need to go back and just play the game under quickplay everytime? There's no reason to do the world tours for the various instruments? I'm confused.
Play world tour for the game aspect of earning money, fans, and unlockables.

Play QP for the love of the music.
Old 06-05-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not that I'm expecting anything other than Maiden to be announced this morning, but I am imagining there's no update yet because sean is exhausted and no one else has picked up the slack yet.

Probably a very smart move to announce 2 weeks worth of content before E3, regardless of awesomeness.
Old 06-05-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So how many songs does everyone actually have?

Between RB1, RB2, AC/DC, the 20 free songs, and the DLC, I think I'm at ~240 or so.
Old 06-05-09, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

277 owned and another 74 on my wish list.
Old 06-05-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

232 songs owned

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.