Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Has Sony Officially Lost this Generation?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Has Sony Officially Lost this Generation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Has Sony Officially Lost this Generation?

That depends on how you define "lost." If you're basing it purely on console sales, it seems unlikely they'll break out of third place but only time will tell. But based on the rest of your arguments, your perspective that Sony's "lost" this generation is almost entirely subjective. I think there are currently plenty of great games out there for the system and I'm glad they haven't shoveled out a bunch of their high-profile exclusives in the early life of the system. It gives me a chance to catch some of the games I might not have otherwise played.

At any rate, I love my PS3. It's easily one of the best video game systems I've ever owned. One of the great things about this generation is that there's something for everyone. All have their strengths and weaknesses, but none of them are truly a bad system.

Also, I thought Final Fantasy was coming out on 360 too? If that's the case, using FF delays as a basis for slamming the PS3 doesn't really hold up.
Old 05-20-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
He posed a question, put his reasons why he thinks it's 3rd only for Sony, and didn't shit on the other two consoles. If he came in and said the ps3 is losing because sony is poo, msft is god and nintendo is ra, then this would be closed quickly. but - it was a valid question, and his concerns were voiced.
Really?

"absolutely pathetic"
"Sony's powerhouse, Killzone 2, couldn't even beat Halo Wars in sales."
"key franchises are dead in the water"

Stupid fanboy nonsense...thinly veiled...for the sole purpose of getting a response. At least move it to the 360 thread where it belongs.
Old 05-20-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,430 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
A few more questions?

Who sold more consoles last year MS or Sony? How about last month?

What do you suppose 120 million PS2 owners are going to do when the PS3 is $200?

How many people have bought 2 or 3 360s?

This generation has a way to go IMO, but thanks for your insightful post.
while this thread isn't necessarily a console bashing one, posts like this will pretty much get the bashing posts out. i mean, seriously.
Old 05-20-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,430 Likes on 974 Posts

to answer the question, yes they lost. not based on console sales. they lost because several of their exclusive properties have gone dual format.
Old 05-20-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,415 Likes on 867 Posts

Probably, but BD should pay dividends far beyond a console cycle.
Until Super-Duper Shiny New Disc comes out and/or HD downloads become the norm.

I just don't see BD locking the market as standard dvd did. But that is a different discussion for a different thread and forum. (I tend to stay away from the HD forum. Those people are scary...especially in discussions like this. )
Old 05-20-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really?

"absolutely pathetic"

Stupid fanboy nonsense...thinly veiled...for the sole purpose of getting a response. At least move it to the 360 thread where it belongs.
Halo wars did beat killzone 2 in sales in what i was able to find...so, that's factual.

Originally Posted by Deftones
while this thread isn't necessarily a console bashing one, posts like this will pretty much get the bashing posts out. i mean, seriously.
true.
Old 05-20-09, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you really see something inflammatory there? WTF?
Old 05-20-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Halo wars did beat killzone 2 in sales in what i was able to find...so, that's factual.
And they have what to do with each other?

true.
Wow. Noted.
Old 05-20-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you really see something inflammatory there? WTF?
Really?

Old 05-20-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really?

"absolutely pathetic"

Did someone pee in your Wheaties today? You seem super sensitive about a fair discussion. But if I was solely in the Sony only corner, I guess I would be a little sensitive too. It's a tough place to be a Sony fan-boy right now.

I get all three first party console magazines and the PlayStation magazine is by far the saddest. They seem to be constantly trying to sell the PS3 in it rather than just enjoying it, especially in the editorial stuff. And the letters page are a tough read as well.
Old 05-20-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And they have what to do with each other?

Wow. Noted.
Both were high profile exclusive "system seller" titles.
Old 05-20-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that's not the post he quoted, but thanks for the brilliant moderation.
Old 05-20-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Did someone pee in your Wheaties today? You seem super sensitive about a fair discussion. But if I was solely in the Sony only corner, I guess I would be a little sensitive too. It's a tough place to be a Sony fan-boy right now.

I get all three first party console magazines and the PlayStation magazine is by far the saddest. They seem to be constantly trying to sell the PS3 in it rather than just enjoying it, especially in the editorial stuff. And the letters page are a tough read as well.

While calling a spade a spade is one thing, we probably shouldn't bag onto Chess for his/her dedication to Sony.
Old 05-20-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that's not the post he quoted, but thanks for the brilliant moderation.
What?

You asked what KZ2 and HW had in common. I answered.

I see now you are referring to Deftones post - When I read it, it was quoting the post I quoted of yours. Quick moderation.

Last edited by Liver&Onions; 05-20-09 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-20-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
*turns his head to the right and looks at 6 different consoles hooked up to his office TV and chuckles.

I couldn't say, and have not taken any stance on the hardware or the software.

I JUST THINK THE THREAD IS INFLAMMATORY AND STUPID.
Old 05-20-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What?

You asked what KZ2 and HW had in common. I answered.
referring to prior post...look at the post times.
Old 05-20-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

referring to prior post...look at the post times.
i edited my post.

Also - if you don't want to read a thread, no one has a gun to your head.
Old 05-20-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FatTony
That depends on how you define "lost." If you're basing it purely on console sales, it seems unlikely they'll break out of third place but only time will tell. But based on the rest of your arguments, your perspective that Sony's "lost" this generation is almost entirely subjective. I think there are currently plenty of great games out there for the system and I'm glad they haven't shoveled out a bunch of their high-profile exclusives in the early life of the system. It gives me a chance to catch some of the games I might not have otherwise played.

At any rate, I love my PS3. It's easily one of the best video game systems I've ever owned. One of the great things about this generation is that there's something for everyone. All have their strengths and weaknesses, but none of them are truly a bad system.

Also, I thought Final Fantasy was coming out on 360 too? If that's the case, using FF delays as a basis for slamming the PS3 doesn't really hold up.
to answer the question, yes they lost. not based on console sales. they lost because several of their exclusive properties have gone dual format.
Some good points. I think Sony has "lost" based on sales and their overall position as a video game manufacturer and as the industry leader. That part seems clear and it's doubtful it can be remedied in the PS3's life time.

However, I do think it's nice that sales are close enough that there's a pretty decent balance between consoles. Wii obviously for the casual stuff and the excellent Nintendo properties, and the 360/PS3 each offering their own benefits. We're in a better place then the last generation, I think.
Old 05-20-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While calling a spade a spade is one thing, we probably shouldn't bag onto Chess for his/her dedication to Sony.
Rather than saying what I'm thinking, I'll just ban myself for the night.

Suffice to say, you don't know shit about me or what I'm dedicated to despite the fact that I've posted here regularly for 10 years or so.
Old 05-20-09, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems they are destined for third place. However it's hardly the end of the line. Both the 360 and PS3 are carving out a decent niche in the "hardcore" gamer demographic. Also, the PS3 out sold the Wii for 2 months straight in Japan, an impressive performance considering the different in price point. The Wii software lineup in Japan is still looking fairly weak so I expect the PS3 to continue to do well there. Once the PS3 drops to 20,000 yen the sales will explode.

In the US, the 360 has the PS3 beat fairly comfortably in sales and the continued high sales of 360 software will ensure strong 3rd party software support for the life of that console. Europe seems a bit more neck and neck with MS having trouble breaking the Sony grip on continental Europe despite aggressive pricing and marketing strategies.
Old 05-20-09, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

You've been the only one making it inflammatory
Old 05-20-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rather than saying what I'm thinking, I'll just ban myself for the night.

Suffice to say, you don't know shit about me or what I'm dedicated to despite the fact that I've posted here regularly for 10 years or so.
Awesome - saves me the trouble. But can you make it two weeks for me? Thanks!

You're absolutely right, I don't know shit about you or your dedications. However, when someone gets riled up over a question about "Has Sony lost this generation" when the OP has a valid conversation in their post - well, that helps me make some assumptions.
Old 05-20-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

*turns his head to the right and looks at 6 different consoles hooked up to his office TV and chuckles.

I couldn't say, and have not taken any stance on the hardware or the software.

You seem to be the only one with an issue with it.

What's the difference in this and say if someone starts a thread in the store forum and asks why Kmart is in third place and points out the reasons why they are lagging behind Wal-mart & Target.

Is that Big Box bashing or whatever? Jeez...take a chill pill or skip the thread entirely. It honestly cracks me up that people can't talk about problems with the various consoles here without someone getting bent out of shape about it. Especially when nothing mentioned has been remotely "INFLAMMATORY."
Old 05-20-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's proven time and time again that owning multiple consoles is hardly a proof of lack of bias. Anyway, the word bias is overused in this context, of course everyone is going to have a favourite console, and even favourite company, totally natural. It's more a matter of how you voice your bias. I think if you make arguments to support your case and don't attack others for their opinions then you're doing fine.

Anyway, I like my 360 but think the Wii is a POS. So clearly I am biased against the Wii, but I try not to stir up shit in any Wii threads (more than necessary ).
Old 05-20-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're absolutely right, I don't know shit about you or your dedications. However, when someone gets riled up over a question about "Has Sony lost this generation" when the OP has a valid conversation in their post - well, that helps me make some assumptions.
Fair enough...perhaps I saw something in the OP that others didn't (or perhaps wasn't intended at all). Perhaps I just have a raging headache and am being a butthole.

Irony is...I'm a Nintendo fanboy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.