Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best PS3 action games right now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 03:43 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best PS3 action games right now?

I'm gonna be getting a PS3 this or next weekend. What are some of the newest hot games everyone is playing these days? I'm mostly into shooters and action games, but not really into the GTA games or games with way too many puzzles. I just wanna run around and blow stuff up
Old 05-05-09, 03:51 PM

Re: Best PS3 action games right now?

killzone 2 would be a good start
Old 05-05-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Its multi platform, but I am having a f'n blast with Wolverine. Massive amount of gore, and really strong gameplay to boot.
Old 05-05-09, 04:03 PM
Suspended

Cool thanks. One other thing.. Can all games play at 1080p? or only certain ones? And does it have what I need for HDMI right out of the box, or do I need an adapter? I'm mostly getting it for a blu ray player but I want some good games too
Old 05-05-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Uncharted!!!!!
Old 05-05-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uncharted and Killzone 2 as mentioned
Old 05-05-09, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Uncharted is a must play if you own a PS3. Killzone 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4 aren't far behind.
Old 05-05-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just played through Uncharted this past week; it's a lot of fun, but you indicated you're not big on puzzles, so it might not be for you. I've only played the Killzone 2 demo and I wasn't blown away by it, but I plan on checking out the full game eventually. I also played Resistance 2 a bit and it was pretty good. Metal Gear Solid 4 is a hard game to recommend because of the cutscene to gameplay ratio, but the gameplay is great.

Outside of PS3 exclusives, Resident Evil 5 is awesome, and if you haven't played it yet, Bioshock is a must.

Originally Posted by necros
Cool thanks. One other thing.. Can all games play at 1080p? or only certain ones? And does it have what I need for HDMI right out of the box, or do I need an adapter? I'm mostly getting it for a blu ray player but I want some good games too
The PS3 can be hooked up with any standard HDMI cable, but it does not come with one. I believe game resolution varies depending on the game (though most new games are 1080p). That information can usually be found on the back cover of a game.
Old 05-05-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Definitely Uncharted. The puzzles are rather easy so that shouldn't bother you. And there's tons of action.

Metal Gear Solid 4 has good gameplay but too many damn cutscenes. Typical of Kojima, about 40% of the cutscenes and 70% of the codec conversations could be easily removed and/or truncated without negatively affecting the story. He's just one long winded bastard.

Heavenly Sword is tons of fun as well. The combat controls will remind you of God Of War but it's more like playing an epic action/fantasy movie. But you're never stuck watching endless cutscenes. You just live the action with ocassional brief cutscenes to set up the next sequence of events.

Another great game is Ratchet & Clank FUTURE: Tools Of Destruction. Tons of weapons, tons of action, and tons of humour.
Old 05-06-09, 05:44 AM

Unreal Tournament is pretty kool and cheap too
Old 05-06-09, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Definitely Uncharted. The puzzles are rather easy so that shouldn't bother you. And there's tons of action.

Heavenly Sword is tons of fun as well. The combat controls will remind you of God Of War but it's more like playing an epic action/fantasy movie. But you're never stuck watching endless cutscenes. You just live the action with ocassional brief cutscenes to set up the next sequence of events.

Another great game is Ratchet & Clank FUTURE: Tools Of Destruction. Tons of weapons, tons of action, and tons of humour.
This post sums it up for me. Three of the best games on the system and all three came out in '07. Unfortunately all three still carry their full $60 retail tag.
Old 05-06-09, 08:02 AM
Suspended

Thanks for the info. I am going to pick up the $499 160gb version and it comes with Uncharted, glad it's a good game and not a junky one no one would buy otherwise. Is it the kind of thing where I'll need to buy a hint book or I'll never be able to unlock all the fun stuff? that kinda bugged me about Zelda for my Wii (which I put down half way through and never touched again). I heard good things about Ratchet & Crank too, so I will probably start with that and Uncharted and probably Killzone 2 also. That should keep me real busy for a while and help get my carpal tunnel going.

Some of my old regular Xbox favorites were Ninja Gaiden and Ghost Recon and Mech Assault, so they're the style of games I like. But I will rarely play a game twice, once I beat it it just sits on my shelf in my library. I even will rarely do multiplayer after I beat a game. But I also don't want something to take a month to finish either
Old 05-06-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
This post sums it up for me. Three of the best games on the system and all three came out in '07. Unfortunately all three still carry their full $60 retail tag.
Ratchet and Clank and Heavenly Sword can be had on the cheap now. You just have to know where to look.
Old 05-06-09, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Oh one other general ps3 question.. about the hard drive space. What do you use it for? Is it really worth it to get the 160gb version? I could see me copying my 20 gig MP3 collection to it maybe if it can do that, and downloading a few things here and there, but do you generally need all that space? or is 80gb gonna be way more than enough?
Old 05-06-09, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh one other general ps3 question.. about the hard drive space. What do you use it for? Is it really worth it to get the 160gb version? I could see me copying my 20 gig MP3 collection to it maybe if it can do that, and downloading a few things here and there, but do you generally need all that space? or is 80gb gonna be way more than enough?
80gb is more than enough, and if you need the space in the future, the hdd is replaceable with several brands of 2.5" internal hdd.

You install games on it is the primary thing, I have a 60gb and still haven't filled it in a year and half. My friend copies movies onto it, another friend puts music on his, another friend swapped out the hdd with a 250gb and uses it as a media storage device.
Old 05-06-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Representing the DVDTalk Warhawk clan, I'll suggest that you give Warhawk a try for some addictive online multiplayer chaos. And right now it's $20. I've gotten more value out of this game than anything else on PS3.
Old 05-06-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Almost all of the games recommended here have demos through the Playstation store, so you can check them out and decide what you like.

Although Unreal Tournament III doesn't have a demo, I highly recommend it, especially since you say you "just wanna run around and blow stuff up." That sums it up pretty well. There's no demo for that one (I think), but it's only $16 through Amazon so it's not a big risk.

Is [Uncharted] the kind of thing where I'll need to buy a hint book or I'll never be able to unlock all the fun stuff?
You can definitely play through the game without using a guide. The only thing you might need a guide for is finding all of the hidden treasures scattered throughout the game if you wanted to earn the trophy for that. There are some things you can unlock in the game (extra characters to play as, etc.), but I didn't find that they added anything to the gameplay.
Old 05-06-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Ratchet and Clank and Heavenly Sword can be had on the cheap now. You just have to know where to look.
So what you're saying is that they are still indeed full SRP.

Heavenly Sword for $20 ~ it is the PAL version, but it's region free and works on US consoles.
Old 05-06-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Blast, you found me out
Old 05-06-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COD4 is still played a lot in the PS3 too. A lot of people consider it the best FPS in the PS3, actually in both consoles. I don't agree with that, but yeah it has a lot of hardcore fans.