Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Totally retro: Sega CD emulation

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-09, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Totally retro: Sega CD emulation

So in a random Google search this morning, I came across a Sega CD emulator. Heaven help me, this has got to be the most awesomely cool thing I have discovered in years! I had the Genesis back in the day, but the Sega CD was always beyond our means. So now, through the glory of emulation, I can finally get all those games I drooled over in the catalogs and the ones I saw at Sears. And I discovered what has to be the ultimate retro game.. the most bad-ass of all bad-ass games:

Yep. A video game starring those lovable idiots from so long ago. Remember them? The dorks who started the fad of wearing your clothes backwards, AKA "totally crossed out". Mac Daddy and the Daddy Mac. They burned out really fast, of course, and for years they were the epitome of teh suck, but now.. some 18 years later..I have rediscovered how awesomely bad they really were. "Make My Video" lets you make your own version of three of Kris Kross' crappy videos. Well, sort of, as all you can do is mash the controller buttons to select stills from the video, and other randomly inserted images, then play it back. The video in the game is of course completely pixelated and grainy .. but hell, for something this wickedly bad-ass retro, it's all part of the experience.

So there you have it. And now if you will excuse me, I have a date with Dana Plato and some Night Trap killers.

Last edited by E. Honda; 05-02-09 at 02:50 AM.
Old 05-02-09, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Totally retro: Sega CD emulation

LOL, awesome! I would have thought that you'd need the CD so I never really bothered looking up SEGACD emulators. I too longed for a SEGACD attachment but seeing as how it was about 3 times the price of the Mark 1 console, I never got it. Plus the switch in consoles made it impossible to get my older one to work with the newer side-by-side model.

I always wanted to play Ecco, Batman Returns, Sewer Rat?, and that one game where alien zombies infest some Southwest town and you had a time-limit because of an A bomb attack. Loved reading that free Sega Magazine!
Old 05-02-09, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best Sega CD game EVAH
Old 05-02-09, 04:04 AM

Anybody with the ability to play Sega CD games owes it to themselves to play Hideo Kojima's SNATCHER. I owned a Sega CD for years and that was the only game I ever played on it.
Old 05-02-09, 09:15 AM

i loved the wrestling game
Old 05-02-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I proudly owned a Sega CD!

Yeah, I loved the WWF Rage in the Cage game also, of course I owned that.

I actually played the crap out of Sewer Shark back then too. I don't know why I loved that game so much back then. It was so, so bad and cheesy.
Old 05-02-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

My friend had a cool combo Sega CD/ Laserdisc back in the early 90s. I remember playing some alien-invasion shooting game with pointless badly acted FMV segments.
Old 05-02-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those Make My Video "games" were horrendously bad. The system was a bust, but there were some great games for it. I was hooked on Sonic CD and Eternal Champions back then, and I still need to snag a copy of Snatcher off of eBay one of these days.

Originally Posted by gmanca
Plus the switch in consoles made it impossible to get my older one to work with the newer side-by-side model.
The Model 1 Genesis works perfectly with the Model 2 SegaCD, that's what I have. I wanted the original front-loader, but I was concerned about getting a bad drive, not to mention the height requirement for CD/Genesis/32X/Sonic & Knuckles/Sonic 2.
Old 05-02-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, the Sega CD Emulator has been out for ages now, support got added almost immediately after they "mastered" Genesis emulation. (I remember playing through Flashback Sega CD version on my modified Xbox back in '04).
Old 05-02-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Another proud former owner of the Sega CD here. Lunar: The Silver Star was my favorite game for it.
Old 05-02-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I think Eternal Champions was my favorite Sega CD game.
Old 05-02-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Another proud former owner of the Sega CD here. Lunar: The Silver Star was my favorite game for it.
Same here. I still have my CDX sitting in the closet.
Old 05-02-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What OS/platforms are you playing these emulators on? I'd be really interested in finding any for OSX or PSP.
Old 05-02-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It took a Lot of A's on my report card to get the Sega CD. What a waste. Although NHL '94 with the awesome organ music was the shit. In college I had what was later on described in history as "the infamous lunar week" where I missed all my classes to beat Lunar.
Old 05-02-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Still own and love my CDX. Snatcher, Shining Force CD and Lunar 1&2 were well worth the cost of the hardware.
Old 05-02-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry guys, no emulation talk here.
Old 05-02-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkside
Still own and love my CDX. Snatcher, Shining Force CD and Lunar 1&2 were well worth the cost of the hardware.
Yep, I always felt that all of the Working Designs games were reason enough to own a SegaCD.
Old 05-02-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
My friend had a cool combo Sega CD/ Laserdisc back in the early 90s. I remember playing some alien-invasion shooting game with pointless badly acted FMV segments.
Ground Zero: Texas

I enjoyed some of these games from Digital Pictures.

SegaCD
C+C Music Factory: Make My Video
Double Switch
Ground Zero: Texas
Night Trap
Prize Fighter
Sewer Shark
Slam City With Scottie Pippen
Supreme Warrior

SegaCD/32X
Corpse Killer
Night Trap
Slam City
Supreme Warrior
Sega Saturn
Corpse Killer
Double Switch

The best one of all is this:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s1WEq3dhnnI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s1WEq3dhnnI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I would like to see Sewer Shark on the Xbox 360. But that will never happen.

Last edited by Match; 05-02-09 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-02-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still have my Sega CD. It's at my brother-in-laws house. I need to check with him and see what games I still have. Eternal Champions was awesome. Sonic CD was a blast and Sewer Shark, well, "Turn and burn, dogmeat!".
Old 05-02-09, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I remember when I got my Sega CD. I went to Church Street Station in Orlando, FL with my mom while my dad stayed behind and went to the Airforce base to pick the system up (I can't remember if it was a birthday thing or if I had paid for it with xmas money). Was anxious as hell to get back to try the thing out and noteably played a lot of Sewer Shark and Jurassic Park.

Lunar is also the main game I remember for the system, that was epic back in the day. I don't remember many other games that I got worked up about back then, though (I remember the Kris Kross game making me jump, Night Trap made huge waves in the gaming community but Blockbuster never rented, and I played the hell out of Sonic CD, Mansion of Hidden Souls (Slam MOHS as you must but that game is great when you're 10, haha) and also had Loadstar (I thought it was a Commodore 64 thing for a minute.) I also bought a 32X which was the ultimate joke (1 whole 32X CD game that I played was the zombie shooter FMV game.)

Last edited by RichC2; 05-02-09 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-02-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

I rented the Sega cd system from a local video store, I remember the Jurassic Park video game and the unedited Mortal Kombat on it being very cool.
Old 05-02-09, 09:06 PM

To this day I think The Terminator on the Sega CD has one of the best soundtracks ever in a video game and the sound quality blew minds back in the day. The game isn't half bad either, it's probably the best Terminator based game now that I think about it.
Old 05-03-09, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was a great system. Remember, the Super Nintendo had a ton of medicore, dime-a-dozen action games and platformers.

I still have one and whip it out when I want to play Shining Force CD. Snatcher, however, hasn't held up as well. The shooting sequences are abhorrent.
Old 05-03-09, 06:43 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

My original Genesis was given away, but I ended up getting some Genesis/CD combo machine, from JVC maybe? (Edit to add: it is the JVC X'Eye combo)

Never played any of the CD games that I can remember, although being the obsessive collector that I am I imagine I own a few.

Last edited by Trevor; 05-03-09 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-03-09, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

A friend of mine still plays his Sega CD, despite me telling him the goldmine he is sitting on. It was great in college, when he had it hooked up beside the newly released PS2

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.