Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playstation 3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playstation 3 questions

Since I want to get a blu ray player I figured I might as well get a PS3 as the prices are basically the same.

Now I’m looking at wikipedia and it looks like I should buy an older PS3 model and the newer ones have no flash card readers, less USB ports, and no PS2 compatibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

So basically a console I get from Best Buy is a big no no and the 60GB version is the one to get. Am I reading this right?

If so what should I look for and where?

Also, would it play DVD-R movies? Or would that need me to resort to "alternate" means?
Old 03-31-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Playstation 3 questions

If those features are important then, yes, the old 60gb is what you want.

Can't help you on where to get it as it won't be new and any manufacturer's warranties (whatever they might have been) will no longer be in place.
Old 03-31-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
If those features are important then, yes, the old 60gb is what you want.

Can't help you on where to get it as it won't be new and any manufacturer's warranties (whatever they might have been) will no longer be in place.

Isn't the flash card reader something one would want?

Also, does the 60GB model have an older blu ray laser? Or is it the same as current models?
Old 03-31-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Latest PS3 to have all of those things you mentioned was the 80GB unit that shipped with Motorstorm packed in. They stopped selling those right after the holidays last year (Jan 08-ish). And it had BC in emulation, works fine though.
Old 03-31-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have the 60gb and I've never used the card readers. Not to say I will never use them, but the PS2-BC was more my reasoning for it. I suppose it depends on why you want it. Since you're also asking about DVD-Rs, I would assume you have other ways to get the content to the unit. Don't forget about simple media streaming.

I haven't heard of the lasers being changed, but I can't say they haven't.
Old 03-31-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 924 Likes on 656 Posts

With everything being wireless these days(RB1 aside), the USB ports are pretty unnecessary. Like pinata, the memory card reader has never been used in my house either. If you don't care about backwards compatibility in your gaming just go grab a system at Best Buy.
Old 03-31-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,578 Posts

and then go grab a PS2 once the price drops to $99. Would still be cheaper than what I got my 60 GB for.
Old 03-31-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's RB1?
Old 03-31-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rock Band 1
Old 03-31-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the 60gb and I've never used the card readers. Not to say I will never use them, but the PS2-BC was more my reasoning for it. I suppose it depends on why you want it. Since you're also asking about DVD-Rs, I would assume you have other ways to get the content to the unit. Don't forget about simple media streaming.
I too purchased it for the backwards compatibility. Never used any of the card ports ... and you can get a cheap hub if you are worried about losing a couple of USB ports.

I have 2 co-workers that purchased 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 bundles that had backwards compatibility.
Old 03-31-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my usb ports for a keyboard, headset, IR remote and IR joystick (Shadow). Plus thumb drives use the usb port as well. I have no need for media card reader, some may.
Old 03-31-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,574 Posts

I've used the card readers on my 60GB PS3 on occasion, when I wanted to show people some photos I took with my camera that I still just had stored on the card. Not having these readers wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I'll admit they've come in handy a few times.
Old 03-31-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kakihara1
The Latest PS3 to have all of those things you mentioned was the 80GB unit that shipped with Motorstorm packed in. They stopped selling those right after the holidays last year (Jan 08-ish). And it had BC in emulation, works fine though.
He's talking about native compatibility, not emulation. That was also important to me, which is why I bought a 60 GB as well. I bought mine on eBay.
Old 03-31-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts

I got my 60gb off auction in Jan of '08 for about $350.

I've used the card readers a few times. Agreed, not a deal breaker.

I do hate that Sony went out of their way to be a PITA with the multiple versions.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-31-09 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-31-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn. The prices you pay on ebay for BC it'd be cheaper to get a PS2.

Still would have been nice to have it all in one machine.
Old 03-31-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of us have too many wires as it is.
Old 04-01-09, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just get one of the new ones. Some people have had issues with the laser in the old ones. Not widespread issues like with the Xbox, but still something to take in consideration.
If you want to play PS2 games buy a PS2, it's only $99 now!
Old 04-01-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Although I can't play non-US PS2 games on a US PS2 without playing with the insides.

Off topic, I'm shocked games are still being made for the PS2!
Old 04-01-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ why should games NOT be made for the PS2? A rock solid console for RPGs, my backlog is so long that i don't think i can ever finish it in my lifetime and yet, new games are still coming...
---------------
To OP:

Look, if you want the BC that badly, just get a PS2, it's easier that way. However, like most people, you probably just want to fire up the PS2 games once in a while on your PS3, so the real value here doesn't really mount to anything. And if you really really really want that once in a while satisfaction, just get the not-so-long-ago 80gb model, which have limited BC (yes, the PS2 games you really really really want to play will work, unless you're playing one of those less known titles). This should resolve your PS2 needs if you decide to get a PS3.

Now, onto the build-in card readers, it's insignificant... First off, external hdd is more efficient and effective (cost less too, 8gb Duo vs 40gb external hdd, do your math). Secondly, you can use card readers ($3-10).

Next one is # of USB ports, it's cool to have four, but two is suffice as well. Get a USB hub if you want more ($3-$10).

Last one is dvd-r... Duh, of course, but why would you want to make the laser work hard for dvd-r discs for? Just dump them on the external hdd and connect through the USB port. I hardly ever play dvd discs on my PS3 anymore... You know you can play VOB files directly right? Besides, i perfer Divx and AVCHD formats...

I don't know what you mean by "alternate" means.

Last edited by Ocelot; 04-01-09 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-01-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ocelot, aren't you worried about over-working the USB ports with all those hubs, external drives, and card readers?
Old 04-01-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
I've used the card readers on my 60GB PS3 on occasion, when I wanted to show people some photos I took with my camera that I still just had stored on the card. Not having these readers wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I'll admit they've come in handy a few times.
This is true a year ago, but now, i got even lazier than that... Photo frame prices dropping like crazy, i don't even have to turn on the TV/Receiver/PS3 for that purpose anymore (you can see the pics on the camera's tiny screen too, but that's not exactly "picture slide friendly"). Of course, for more "formal" presentations, i have pre-loaded picture slides. PS3's photo slide is the far most impressive one (excluding computer apps).
Old 04-01-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You don't get upscaling of games if you use a PS2 though.
Old 04-01-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ocelot, aren't you worried about over-working the USB ports with all those hubs, external drives, and card readers?

better than having the laser to crap out on me

Actually, i have one of those rechargeable battery powered USB hub, which provides additional powers to the USB ports. If you use a "regular" USB hub, you'll notice that devices connected to the 2nd or 3rd port sometimes don't power up (like the Eye). I don't use card readers anymore...
Old 04-01-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Fandango
You don't get upscaling of games if you use a PS2 though.
Valid point and good one too, but honestly, it's something looks good on paper, but doesn't have real added value. I know i know, certain games do look better, they got this "native resolution" which is awesome when upscaled, blah blah blah. Final verdict? Don't mount to anything really, do you pause the game to enjoy how impressive the game looks or you just play? The difference is negligible... The only value added argument is that with a BC PS3, you're saving space, i.e. one less input slot for the TV and less wires.
Old 04-01-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Besides, i perfer Divx and AVCHD formats....
How do you deal with AVCHD if not via DVD+/-R?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.