Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS3 Thread - March 09 Edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Re: Official PS3 Thread - March 09 Edition

Heavenly Sword was available cheap in the recent past: Target clearances and Amazon's Black Friday deals, to name a few, plus it was on sale for 39.99 as an Amazon DOTD recently. I have no idea why it's not GH yet, but I'm sure it's coming soon. I think Konami independently lowered the price on Metal Gear Solid, much like Rockstar did for all console versions of GTA IV. I suspect the only reason they finally lowered Resistance was because Resistance II was coming out.

If you want to complain about non-GH prices, Nintendo is by far the worst... some of their first party titles are more likely to disappear than get a universal price drop (this is especially true of DS games).
Old 03-16-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Question regarding Media server connectivity on the PS3:

First, is anyone else using the (extremely common) Linksys WRT54G router? Like others I have slow download speeds for demos and video, but every other wireless device in my basement is fast.

Second, whenever I turn on the uPnP protocol to use the PS3's media server capabilities, it makes my router restart repeatedly. Also, I started noticing whenever I was trying to download certain game updates when the media server option was turned on, my laptop would show it had to reacquire its connection, and after checking the logs I saw the router was restarting. I have the media server option off on the PS3 and have not had the router restarting problem since, although downloads are still slow.

Most recently I was trying to use the PlayOn software to watch Hulu stuff through the PS3, which again requires media server to be on. Once again it started causing issues. But then I tried PlayOn on my 360, which I assume also uses some kind of uPnP protocol, and it works fine.

Just curious to hear if anyone else uses the WRT54G and how their experiences have been with the PS3. At this point it seems like my issues are more likely the fault of the PS3 than the router. And yes, my PS3 firmware is current.
Old 03-16-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I used the WRT54G wirelessly with my PS3 I had some connectivity issues which were all cleared up after I did a wired connection. I have different router/modem setup now, still wired, that does all the media server stuff splendidly. I assume though that wired is not an option... and hell why should you try since wireless should work.

With that said, have you opened up all the necessary ports on the router? I'm not sure which ports are necessary, but maybe someone else here does or check the playstation forums.
Old 03-16-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to try firmware for the router one more time and see if that helps, but I've tried it before. I've never seen any mention of specific ports needing to be open for the PS3.

Mine 54G is several years old, but I just bought a new one for my mom which I haven't deployed yet. I'm thinking I may just use the new one and give her the old one as she doesn't have a PS3.
Old 03-16-09, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Question regarding Media server connectivity on the PS3:

First, is anyone else using the (extremely common) Linksys WRT54G router? Like others I have slow download speeds for demos and video, but every other wireless device in my basement is fast.

Second, whenever I turn on the uPnP protocol to use the PS3's media server capabilities, it makes my router restart repeatedly. Also, I started noticing whenever I was trying to download certain game updates when the media server option was turned on, my laptop would show it had to reacquire its connection, and after checking the logs I saw the router was restarting. I have the media server option off on the PS3 and have not had the router restarting problem since, although downloads are still slow.

Most recently I was trying to use the PlayOn software to watch Hulu stuff through the PS3, which again requires media server to be on. Once again it started causing issues. But then I tried PlayOn on my 360, which I assume also uses some kind of uPnP protocol, and it works fine.

Just curious to hear if anyone else uses the WRT54G and how their experiences have been with the PS3. At this point it seems like my issues are more likely the fault of the PS3 than the router. And yes, my PS3 firmware is current.
I've got an older WRT54G with the Tomato firmware loaded, and haven't had any issues with rebooting due to uPnP or slower than normal download speeds. My wireless connection with WPA2 encryption seems just as fast as wired for downloads.

I'd highly recommend a 3rd party firmware such as Tomato or DD-WRT if you are able to run it. I used to have to reboot my router every few days due to loss of wireless signal, and haven't rebooted it for connection problems since I've been using Tomato (>2 years). Plus there's some extra knobs available like increasing the wireless signal, etc.
Old 03-16-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool thanks. I'll have to look into it.
Old 03-16-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. I went to GameStop today and a guy I know there did tell me they had a sealed copy of Heavenly Sword in stock and he thought it was finally down to $40. Sadly, it rang up $59.99 which surprised him because the game has been around for a while and his computer marks it as discontinued. Perhaps a GS release is in the works?

As for the recommendation of Uncharted, I already have (and love) that game. Trophies do nothing for me (I don't see the point) but I did hunt for the medals (essentially the same thing) to access the bonus content.

I simply used Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, and Resistance (all three of which I own) as examples of games I'm surprised have yet to lower in price.

For those that care, I did see that Ninja Gaiden Sigma is now $19.99. I jumped at it at that price to try it out. Bored me to tears so I'm gonna try to sell it to a friend (I doubt GameStop would accept a next day return simply because I thought the game sucks). I only bother mentioning the price because I know it's a popular title and it's a good price for those of you that like it but still don't have it.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-16-09 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Trophies do nothing for me (I don't see the point) but I did hunt for the medals (essentially the same thing) to access the bonus content.
that's what i said before and now, i play the games around the trophies. For example, normally, i play a game on easiest setting. But if there's a trophy for Normal mode only, i'll start the game on Normal. I like easy because i like slower pace. But yeah, as you play more and play, easy will bore you, so why not go for the trophy. Anyhow, seeing yourself leveling up, it's pretty satisfying (play that end of battle FF tone).

For those that care, I did see that Ninja Gaiden Sigma is now $19.99. I jumped at it at that price to try it out. Bored me to tears so I'm gonna try to sell it to a friend (I doubt GameStop would accept a next day return simply because I thought the game sucks). I only bother mentioning the price because I know it's a popular title and it's a good price for those of you that like it but still don't have it.
see, that's the thing, normally i would get it, NGS for $20, not a bad price at all. However, looking at my current playing queue, not good at all... Meaning that i probably never gonna get to it. New Year Resolution, don't buy games just b/c they're cheap, buy it b/c you want to play.
Old 03-17-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you guys/gals upgraded the 20gb, 40gb, or 80gb hdd to a bigger hdd, save the little hdds... I almost give away my 40gb (upgraded to 320gb), but i got me a cheap external hdd casing and converted it to a portable external drive. The best part? It's only $10 (well, i paid $7, missed the $4 boat). Not shabby eh?

Here are the steps to do it (for Window PCs):

1. Put the notebook hdd in the casing
2. Connect to the computer
3. If the drive letter shows up, great, you're done
4. If no drive letter, right click My Computer, go to Mange Drive (or something like that)
5. You'll need to partition the new hdd, since it's not recognized by the computer.
6. Select Primary and let the format begin...

I used the 40gb external hdd for movies, nice...
Old 03-17-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i thought NGS was a great game. I had the original for the 360, but the difficulty was too much for me. The ninja dog difficulty really made the game more enjoyable for me. I might be interested in part 2, but I need to research if the difficulty is more like the original or if there is an easier setting.
Old 03-17-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ocelot
that's what i said before and now, i play the games around the trophies. For example, normally, i play a game on easiest setting. But if there's a trophy for Normal mode only, i'll start the game on Normal. I like easy because i like slower pace. But yeah, as you play more and play, easy will bore you, so why not go for the trophy. Anyhow, seeing yourself leveling up, it's pretty satisfying (play that end of battle FF tone).
I usually play on Normal and later Hard anyway so winning a trophy for it is an afterthought to me. Don't get me wrong, I can see why some people may like it but, unless it unlocks something cool in the game that cannot be accessed otherwise, I find myself unmotivated to collect the trophy.

see, that's the thing, normally i would get it, NGS for $20, not a bad price at all. However, looking at my current playing queue, not good at all... Meaning that i probably never gonna get to it. New Year Resolution, don't buy games just b/c they're cheap, buy it b/c you want to play.
And that was my mistake exactly. I had played the demo of Ninja Gaiden Sigma ages ago and found it bland. But since I saw it so cheap yesterday and everyone and their mother still seems to insist it's the gaming equivalent to the second coming of Jesus, I decided "what the heck". Sadly, my opinion of the game hasn't changed and I'm out $20. Not so cheap now.
Old 03-17-09, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by XavierMike
i thought NGS was a great game. I had the original for the 360, but the difficulty was too much for me. The ninja dog difficulty really made the game more enjoyable for me. I might be interested in part 2, but I need to research if the difficulty is more like the original or if there is an easier setting.
I played it on the default setting yesterday and I found the difficulty just fine. It wasn't so easy I didn't have to think about what I was doing but also not so hard that I'd rather get my teeth pulled. It's just that the game feels like warmed over PS2 leftovers (and not even good PS2 leftovers).

I just find it intensely boring.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-17-09 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-17-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's hard not to feel that way about NGS since it's a port of a Xbox game. So it's definitely in-between PS2 and PS3 in terms of gameplay and presentation.

NGS2 will be a port of a 360 game, so it should feel more advanced.
Old 03-17-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well that explains it. Cos it certainly feels unpolished.

Anyway, I just gotta find someone to sell this game to.
Old 03-17-09, 10:04 AM

I haven't played Ninja Gaiden Sigma since I don't have a PS3, but Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox was an amazing game. It was easily one of the best games for that console.
Old 03-17-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I usually play on Normal and later Hard anyway so winning a trophy for it is an afterthought to me. Don't get me wrong, I can see why some people may like it but, unless it unlocks something cool in the game that cannot be accessed otherwise, I find myself unmotivated to collect the trophy.
Nah, just as the Achievement points in the Xbox games, don't unlock anything. However, if you want to show off your trophies, you can do so in Home. Well, to each of his/her own really, to me, inviting people over in Home is so gay (not that there's anything wrong with it). My first impression of Home was pretty good actually, a lot of friendly people. I don't know about now though. I love the dances, it was hilarious (partly because my avatar dances better than me ).

Back to trophies, most of them you get from playing the game, but some of them are truly for the anal gamers (same as the Achievements). Again, you have to see the leveling up for yourself. Once you get to level 2 etc., it's a pretty cool feeling (again, play that FF tone).

I'm out $20. Not so cheap now.
i paid $45 for KZ2 and i feel like it's too expensive. I like the game, don't get me wrong, but it's not $40 good like LBP. It's all personal opinion really, i paid $8 for PJM, it's one of the best bargain i ever gotten from PSN.
Old 03-17-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
It's hard not to feel that way about NGS since it's a port of a Xbox game. So it's definitely in-between PS2 and PS3 in terms of gameplay and presentation.

NGS2 will be a port of a 360 game, so it should feel more advanced.
That's probably right. Now, the question will be whether to get the cheaper 360 version or the full-price Ps3 game. I'll probably wait and see exactly what the new editions are.
Old 03-17-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People still use Home? I got the impression that it faded away since I've seen almost zero news about it since launch.
Old 03-17-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
People still use Home? I got the impression that it faded away since I've seen almost zero news about it since launch.
I fired up Home once. That was more than enough. I'm pretty sure Home was DOA, and I don't expect it to have any sort of widespread usage at any point in the future.
Old 03-17-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I fired up Home once. That was more than enough. I'm pretty sure Home was DOA, and I don't expect it to have any sort of widespread usage at any point in the future.
I deleted it after my first log in to it as well. But the way that Sony and it's fanboys were pumping it up, I expected the hype machine to still be going on this.
Old 03-17-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More "Value Add".

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/17/ta...ase-after-gdc/

According to a reader tip, Target stores are receiving a brand new PS3 SKU. The DPCI item number for the new product is 207-23-0009 and it will be available on March 29, a few days after the end of Game Developer's Conference.

The new SKU, confirmed by our tipster's photo, bundles the now-standard 80 GB console and two Greatest Hits games: MotorStorm and Resistance: Fall of Man. Those that have managed to keep track of the various SKUs will find this package awfully similar to a bundle launched in Europe in 2007. Heck, all it does is add Resistance to the now-defunct MotorStorm bundle.

Unfortunately, our tipster says this new bundle doesn't come with a price drop. The SKU will retail for $399, the same price as the current low-end PS3. Yes, the addition of two free games makes it a better value, but this bundle can't replace the "price drop" analysts have been predicting (and publishers have been begging for). Either this is a Target-specific bundle, or this will be one of the most unexciting PS3 announcements to date.
Old 03-17-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you guys/gals upgraded the 20gb, 40gb, or 80gb hdd to a bigger hdd, save the little hdds... I almost give away my 40gb (upgraded to 320gb), but i got me a cheap external hdd casing and converted it to a portable external drive. The best part? It's only $10 (well, i paid $7, missed the $4 boat). Not shabby eh?

Here are the steps to do it (for Window PCs):

1. Put the notebook hdd in the casing
2. Connect to the computer
3. If the drive letter shows up, great, you're done
4. If no drive letter, right click My Computer, go to Mange Drive (or something like that)
5. You'll need to partition the new hdd, since it's not recognized by the computer.
6. Select Primary and let the format begin...

I used the 40gb external hdd for movies, nice...
You are missing a key component here: the drive must be FAT32, and Windows may have a problem formatting the drive to FAT32 if it's over 32 gigs (which most will be). You''ll need a 3rd party program for that.

Also, you can't just drag and drop stuff into the hard drive from your computer, you'll need to have a specific folder structure.

For the PS3 greatest hits line currently includes Resistance. Here's the complete list (all are retail 29.99 unless otherwise noted):
Assassin's Creed
Burnout Paradise (19.99)
Call of Duty 3
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fight Night Round 3 (19.99)
Motorstorm
Need for Speed: Carbon (19.99)
Need for Speed: Pro Street (19.99)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (still officially 29.99)
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Resistance: Fall of Man
Warhawk
Virtua Fighter 5 (19.99)

Also, most of the launch games are unofficially discounted, but most are nowhere near worth it. Do not buy Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire at any price.
Old 03-17-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
You are missing a key component here: the drive must be FAT32, and Windows may have a problem formatting the drive to FAT32 if it's over 32 gigs (which most will be). You''ll need a 3rd party program for that.

Also, you can't just drag and drop stuff into the hard drive from your computer, you'll need to have a specific folder structure.
huh? are you sure? because i was able to pluck the 40gb hdd into my work computer and it was recognized right away, letter E. It even displays the hdd label name.

the files i dragged and dropped from my home PC are there... i can copy them to my work computer fine.

well, i don't know man, i didn't use a 3rd party software and none of the specific file folder structure stuff. I have three folders, MUSIC, VIDEO, PICTURES
Old 03-17-09, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

huh? are you sure? because i was able to pluck the 40gb hdd into my work computer and it was recognized right away, letter E. It even displays the hdd label name.

the files i dragged and dropped from my home PC are there... i can copy them to my work computer fine.

well, i don't know man, i didn't use a 3rd party software and none of the specific file folder structure stuff. I have three folders, MUSIC, VIDEO, PICTURES
I think he meant it has to be FAT32 to be used as an external hard drive for the PS3 (or 360). Any file structure would work as a drive for a PC.
Old 03-17-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Plus, Ocelot, you used your old PS3 drive, which is already formatted in FAT32. however, if you get a brand new drive, or if you have to format the existing drive for whatever reason, you need to do so in FAT32.

But yes, it will automatically be recognized by your computer. You need to have the Sony directory structure for your PS3 (or PSP) to recognize it, though, and you have to drag the files to the appropriate directory.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.