Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Weekly Tuesday Warhawk night

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also want to thank chess for setting this up. And I especially would like to think you for the 1-1 training you provided in 4th map, it helped a bunch (I'll try to get the bluetooth working for this week).

Although I went through the offline training earlier in the week, it doesn't compare to live action. I spent the first couple maps just trying to learn the controls and therefore ran from a fight rather than engaged.

chess has first-hand knowledge about how crappy my flight skills are.

Which brings me to my question: are there any Warhawk-free maps? When everybody is flying around, I felt like I had to be on a level playing field by flying around too. I didn't have much chance for tank or jeep use other than the first few minutes.
Old 03-16-09, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Any interest in a Weekly Warhawk night?

Originally Posted by Chew
I also want to thank chess for setting this up. And I especially would like to think you for the 1-1 training you provided in 4th map, it helped a bunch (I'll try to get the bluetooth working for this week).

Although I went through the offline training earlier in the week, it doesn't compare to live action. I spent the first couple maps just trying to learn the controls and therefore ran from a fight rather than engaged.

chess has first-hand knowledge about how crappy my flight skills are.

Which brings me to my question: are there any Warhawk-free maps? When everybody is flying around, I felt like I had to be on a level playing field by flying around too. I didn't have much chance for tank or jeep use other than the first few minutes.

No worries. I wasn't sure whether you could hear me, and if you could, I wasn't sure whether you wanted me to just shut the hell up. Glad I was helping.

There are several very small deathmatch maps without Warhawks, but the reality is that you ARE on a level playing field with the Warhawks when you're on the ground. They really aren't that hard to take down.

Just a few examples:

One shot from a tank...done
Two shoulder fired rockets (which lock on)
One solid hit from a missile turret
2-3 seconds from an antiaircraft turret
3 sniper rifle shots
5+ seconds from a 50 cal on the jeep
and, of course, a whole variety of Air to Air means

I would say if other folks who are new jump in Warhawks, you should just look at it as an easy kill, because no kidding, a Warhawk flown by someone who doesn't know what they are doing is super easy prey from the ground.

That said, I'll make a point to load a few Warhawk free maps next week, and I think I might load a Warhawk-only map so everybody will be in the same boat and can practice the controls without fearing groundfire. If I do, I won't fire a single weapon other than machine gun and then just long enough for you to know that I'm behind you.
Old 03-16-09, 08:59 AM

Apologies for not making it Saturday night. Yeah, I was bouncing on and offline for some damn reason, so I just ended up playing some Street Fighter IV instead while I was waiting on my connection to unscrew itself. I will definitely do my damnedest to be there this week. Can't wait.
Old 03-16-09, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by chess

No worries. I wasn't sure whether you could hear me, and if you could, I wasn't sure whether you wanted me to just shut the hell up. Glad I was helping.

There are several very small deathmatch maps without Warhawks, but the reality is that you ARE on a level playing field with the Warhawks when you're on the ground. They really aren't that hard to take down.

Just a few examples:

One shot from a tank...done
Two shoulder fired rockets (which lock on)
One solid hit from a missile turret
2-3 seconds from an antiaircraft turret
3 sniper rifle shots
5+ seconds from a 50 cal on the jeep
and, of course, a whole variety of Air to Air means

I would say if other folks who are new jump in Warhawks, you should just look at it as an easy kill, because no kidding, a Warhawk flown by someone who doesn't know what they are doing is super easy prey from the ground.
My favorite is a well placed mine under a parked warhawk. Gets 'em every time
Old 03-16-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by I.Flores
My favorite is a well placed mine under a parked warhawk. Gets 'em every time
If there were one weapon I could take out of the game, I would be mines (air and land). Too many people online spam them to the point that they ruin the game IMO.
Old 03-16-09, 02:13 PM

If there were one weapon I could take out of the game, I would be mines (air and land). Too many people online spam them to the point that they ruin the game IMO.
Nah, you can deal with them. Their sound gives them away, a fully charged lightning gun blast gets rid of them, and you can only place a maximum of 4 mines at a time. Same with the air mines, only 3 at a time, get blasted away with the lightning gun and ground troops can blow them away as well with a machine gun or RPG.

On the other hand, the TOW missile is allmighty. If there was something I take out of the game it would be that.
Old 03-16-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would like to get in on some of these games as well. But I'm godawful and could probably use a similar tutorial session. The beginning game tutorial really can only do so much. I'll try to check in to catch the next session.
Old 03-16-09, 09:14 PM

i've had the game and expansions for a long time now... but never played. i'm interested in giving it a shot. my id is listed below
Old 03-16-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by keit2208
i've had the game and expansions for a long time now... but never played. i'm interested in giving it a shot. my id is listed below
Got your invite today. Welcome!

Saw you were playing a bit tonight as well...hope you didn't get discouraged. It can be a jungle out there!
Old 03-16-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I would like to get in on some of these games as well. But I'm godawful and could probably use a similar tutorial session. The beginning game tutorial really can only do so much. I'll try to check in to catch the next session.
I think we might all be godawful to some extent or another, but that's OK because this isn't intended to be competitive...just fun.

Just try to get me a PSN invite before Saturday.
Old 03-17-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was on the CAG's newbies server last night. Oh man, i hate flying... i think i got the basic control down, but still, it's freaking weird, so damn hard to kill some of the guys. I kept shooting and shooting, they just don't die! Do you have different life bar when you "level" up or something? Is there a dvdtalk server? I'm all for it, especially got the three packs for $10
Old 03-17-09, 11:43 AM

i just did the tutorials last night, trying to dodge the missiles in the warhawk was making me pretty frustrated though... i switched from arcade control to expert flying and that didn't seem to help
Old 03-17-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ocelot
I was on the CAG's newbies server last night. Oh man, i hate flying... i think i got the basic control down, but still, it's freaking weird, so damn hard to kill some of the guys. I kept shooting and shooting, they just don't die! Do you have different life bar when you "level" up or something? Is there a dvdtalk server? I'm all for it, especially got the three packs for $10
No, your life level never upgrades, and neither do your weapons (thankfully).

Like I keep saying, there is a steep learning curve to flying. I really recommend you start out on the ground and just "hunt" Warhawks. Getting the controls on the tank and jeep down will ultimately help you fly.

I'm hosting every Saturday and am moderating the level of difficulty. I reserve the right to boot anyone who's too good and/or too aggressive, which I think will help folks develop. I already rank limit it, but people will go through multiple usernames just to keep a low rank and "pwn n00bs", which I'm pretty sure happens on CAG. That sort of thing will be policed here.
Old 03-17-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by keit2208
i just did the tutorials last night, trying to dodge the missiles in the warhawk was making me pretty frustrated though... i switched from arcade control to expert flying and that didn't seem to help
Pro-flight makes dodging missiles much easier, but it's also disconcerting because you control both your pitch and your yaw.

It will take some time for the Warhawk to "click" for you, but when it does, you will feel near godlike (until some rookie takes you out with a rocket launcher).

I've pretty much decided to have a "dogfight" (Warhawks only) match next week to facilitate the learning process. In a Warhawk, the scariest things all come from the ground IMO. Removing that threat should give you guys a chance to just get a feel for the aircraft.
Old 03-17-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As long as the host allows it, you just fire up the second controller, hit start, and the screen splits...if I remember correctly. I'm just wary of split screen in basic death match because, whether they intend to or not, the folks with the split screen tend to become a team.

If enough folks start showing up, I'll implement some team death match and capture the flag stuff. Last night was between 2-5 people all night, so that was never really doable.
Awesome! Now I dont have the updates or add ons, just the original game so I hope its on those levels. The person Id play with has never even played the game so theyre worse than me

So I have to send you a friend request, than on game day look up where youre playing and join that server? Ive never looked for a server or a specific game so Im blank on this. And 6pm our time is game start? I usually dont leave for the night till later so I should be in!
Old 03-17-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, your life level never upgrades, and neither do your weapons (thankfully).

Like I keep saying, there is a steep learning curve to flying. I really recommend you start out on the ground and just "hunt" Warhawks. Getting the controls on the tank and jeep down will ultimately help you fly.

I'm hosting every Saturday and am moderating the level of difficulty. I reserve the right to boot anyone who's too good and/or too aggressive, which I think will help folks develop. I already rank limit it, but people will go through multiple usernames just to keep a low rank and "pwn n00bs", which I'm pretty sure happens on CAG. That sort of thing will be policed here.
Cool, thanks! What's the server name? is there a password? I'll look forward to it. Oh, is there a clan? i'm too inexperienced at this point, but sounds cool to join a clan or something.
Old 03-17-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Awesome! Now I dont have the updates or add ons, just the original game so I hope its on those levels. The person Id play with has never even played the game so theyre worse than me
I'm restricting the maps to the basic game for now, and I'll keep the split screen option available as well.

So I have to send you a friend request, than on game day look up where youre playing and join that server? Ive never looked for a server or a specific game so Im blank on this. And 6pm our time is game start? I usually dont leave for the night till later so I should be in!
Yes, send me a friend request.

From the main menu, go to Community, then Buddies. Find me on the list and join my game (DVDTALK) and enter the password (forum).

We started at 6, but I'd say business really picked up later.
Old 03-17-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Cool, thanks! What's the server name? is there a password? I'll look forward to it. Oh, is there a clan? i'm too inexperienced at this point, but sounds cool to join a clan or something.
See above for server/password.

I'm not in a clan and hadn't really thought about starting one. Maybe if a core group of us get good...

Right now, I'm just trying to keep it lighthearted and fun...playing more of a teacher/target drone rather than competing. Other than the Warhawk, you guys should absolutely be my peers in a few weeks.
Old 03-17-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,553 Posts

chess, maybe you can edit the first post to include the server/password info, and then if it ever changes you can update that post.
Old 03-17-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had Warhawk almost since I got my PS3 but haven't touched it yet so I'm game (at least can be target fodder) I'll send you a friend request Chess. Are you always planning to play on Saturday nights? It may be easier for me to make a weeknight, but I can try on Saturday. I read this last week but wasn't able to get on the 14th, probably could have later but figured you guys were done by 9pm.
Old 03-17-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
chess, maybe you can edit the first post to include the server/password info, and then if it ever changes you can update that post.
Good idea. Thx.
Old 03-17-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Edison
I've had Warhawk almost since I got my PS3 but haven't touched it yet so I'm game (at least can be target fodder) I'll send you a friend request Chess. Are you always planning to play on Saturday nights? It may be easier for me to make a weeknight, but I can try on Saturday. I read this last week but wasn't able to get on the 14th, probably could have later but figured you guys were done by 9pm.
Will look out for it.

I'm fairly committed to Saturdays for now. The types of folks I want to play with probably have jobs and family commitments just like I do, but everyone is obviously welcome.

We were on until about 11PM central, I think.
Old 03-20-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bump for tomorrow night.

Unless there's some "Warhawks only" maps, I'm going to try to keep to the ground this week. I'll worry about flight skills once I have ground controls and aiming down a little better.
Old 03-20-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew
Bump for tomorrow night.

Unless there's some "Warhawks only" maps, I'm going to try to keep to the ground this week. I'll worry about flight skills once I have ground controls and aiming down a little better.
Thanks for the bump! I was just coming on to remind folks. Hopefully others plan to drop in as well...and hopefully more folks will have headsets working this week!

I do plan to load 1 or 2 "dogfight" maps this week. There's no harm in learning the basics as long as everybody is in the same boat and nobody has to worry about ground fire.

Otherwise, I would definitely stay on the ground. The Warhawk is a complex and fragile beast, but once you figure it out, it is incredibly rewarding. I will also load a couple of maps with no vehicles at all.
Old 03-20-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I downloaded the map pack bundle yesterday. I was able to get my headset working with Killzone 2. Are there any special settings to look for in the Warhawk options? I've only played this game once or twice so I have no idea what I'm doing yet. I expect to be cannon fodder for the experts out there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.