Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS3 and HP Media Vault?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 and HP Media Vault?

Did a search and couldn't find any relevant info so I wasn't really sure whether to place this post in Video Game Talk or Tech Talk. Hopefully, I choose correctly...

Is anyone using their PS3 with the 2nd generation HP Media Vault? It seems that the 2nd Gen MV use Twonky as the DLNA server and I've heard that Twonky works well with the PS3. I'm looking to centralize most of my files (photos, music, docs, etc.) so I can access them almost anywhere, especially on the PS3, and thought that this might be a good solution.

I've read the threads about swapping out the original drive in the PS3 with an aftermarket drive and considered it as an option. However, since I am wanting to also be able to access the files from other locations as well, I'm considering the MV. Of course, in thinking about it, maintaining a copy of all of my photos & music on the PS3 would be a nice, but manual backup strategy.
Old 02-15-09, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: PS3 and HP Media Vault?

I'm using the MediaSmart which I think is just a larger version of the Media Vault. I have it set up to my PS3 as well as my Xbox. Everything runs really nicely. I'm running an earlier version of Twonky called PVconnect.

And all in all I think it's great.

My only issue is that while the PS3 can play/show just about anything, it's user interface is a little lacking and makes it hard to watch videos and stuff.
Old 02-19-09, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Media Vault 2120. The only issue I have when accessing it from my PS3 is that in order for the PS3 to "see" the Media Vault, I have to reboot it (the Media Vault) every time. Otherwise, works fine.
Old 02-22-09, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you using the UPnP server software that came with the media vault or did you install Twonky?
Old 02-22-09, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't install anything, so i must be using uPnP. Is there a good twonky tutorial anywhere? Does it affect the media vault in anyway, because I also use it as a NAS?
Old 02-23-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bahgee
I didn't install anything, so i must be using uPnP. Is there a good twonky tutorial anywhere? Does it affect the media vault in anyway, because I also use it as a NAS?
Here is a link for the forum, they should be able to get you up to speed. It is my understanding that it will not impact anything on your media vault, it is simply a media streamer.

TwonkyForum