Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official Xbox 360 thread - thread hardest

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official Xbox 360 thread - thread hardest

I am guessing this guy just got a faulty system (in a true sense, not in the "all 360s are faulty" sense). Typical RROD's happened after a fair amount of use...he is claiming less than 3 hours. I suspect his isn't related to overheating, but perhaps a a poor soldering job.
Old 03-16-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hail2dking
I am guessing this guy just got a faulty system (in a true sense, not in the "all 360s are faulty" sense). Typical RROD's happened after a fair amount of use...he is claiming less than 3 hours. I suspect his isn't related to overheating, but perhaps a a poor soldering job.
See and it's this type of thing that is really making me leary of giving MS any more money for the 360 (whether it be to repair/replace me system or buy a new Arcade edition).It seems that even with the RROD problem supposedly fixed it still happens (albeit not as frequently). To me that just screams of poor design. At any rate, I only own like 3 games (two of which are from like Spring of 2006 vintage and the third was a platinum hit and like 3 original xbox games) and I've pretty much been able to rent and play through all the exclusives so I'm leaning towards waiting and seeing if the PS3 appeals to me in a few months once I've saved up some cash.

Has anyone had any luck getting MS to fix an out of warranty 360 that RROD'ed for free?
Old 03-16-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Wait, it's only one guy?
Old 03-16-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
See and it's this type of thing that is really making me leary of giving MS any more money for the 360 (whether it be to repair/replace me system or buy a new Arcade edition).It seems that even with the RROD problem supposedly fixed it still happens (albeit not as frequently). To me that just screams of poor design.
You can still get the RRoD even with a fixed design. You will still get the occasional manufacturing flaw. I don't think there has been anything to suggest that the few Jasper RRoDs seen have been the sign of anything serious. That doesn't mean that we won't eventually see signs of that, but it isn't here yet.
Old 03-16-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
See and it's this type of thing that is really making me leary of giving MS any more money for the 360 (whether it be to repair/replace me system or buy a new Arcade edition).It seems that even with the RROD problem supposedly fixed it still happens (albeit not as frequently). To me that just screams of poor design. At any rate, I only own like 3 games (two of which are from like Spring of 2006 vintage and the third was a platinum hit and like 3 original xbox games) and I've pretty much been able to rent and play through all the exclusives so I'm leaning towards waiting and seeing if the PS3 appeals to me in a few months once I've saved up some cash.

Has anyone had any luck getting MS to fix an out of warranty 360 that RROD'ed for free?
I think that people are confused that game systems are not game systems anymore they are computers , and computers fail and no matter how good you put them together they fail sometimes and once in awhile it is not identifiable on why they failed.
Old 03-16-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
I think that people are confused that game systems are not game systems anymore they are computers , and computers fail and no matter how good you put them together they fail sometimes and once in awhile it is not identifiable on why they failed.
You bring up a valid point, the more complicated game systems get the more they are likely to fail. However, I've owned countless computers over the years and all have had useful working lives of at least 5 years. My last iMac was still working but the LCD backlight died and I have a friends old PC in my basement this is from around late 1999 and it's still running like a champ. I'm not expecting 360's to be completely trouble free but I dunno, maybe I'm just jaded after the original RROD fiasco. My brother has been through 3, I've had 2, and seemingly everyone I know has had it occur. I think my best plan is to call them up and just be polite and inquisitive and explain the situation and see what they can do. If they can't beat then I'll just tell them I'm going to think about it. At any rate didn't meant to derail the thread into a RROD discussion just curious about the current state of it as I've not been following the general 360 threads for quite a while.
Old 03-16-09, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a Jasper arcade model and it runs way cooler and quieter. For whatever that is worth.
Old 03-17-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see Fable is on sale for 800 points this week for Gold members. I'm only Silver and that got me looking elsewhere for a physical disc. Since a new one is the same price at Amazon and includes additional content, it's the better deal.

So, dumb question of the day: can the 360 play original Xbox games?
Old 03-17-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes they do but not all of them Fable is on the list as compatible though.
Old 03-17-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fable plays like shit on the 360 though, like 20 fps choppy.
Old 03-17-09, 12:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I wonder if the download plays better because it doesn't have to read the disc?
Old 03-17-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the average turn-around lately on repairs? The center should be getting my console any minute now (overnight from Tulsa, hopefully it's overnight back).

So assuming it goes out the same day it's fixed, is it reasonable to expect a Friday delivery? I just want it by Monday evening for sure because I had planned to play through Pearl Jam's Ten in Rock Band before work on Tuesday.
Old 03-17-09, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I see Fable is on sale for 800 points this week for Gold members. I'm only Silver and that got me looking elsewhere for a physical disc. Since a new one is the same price at Amazon and includes additional content, it's the better deal.

So, dumb question of the day: can the 360 play original Xbox games?
I bought Fable the Lost Chapters for $6 on ebay a few months ago. Works great. And Lost Chapters comes with all the extra missions and stuff.
Old 03-17-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
What's the average turn-around lately on repairs? The center should be getting my console any minute now (overnight from Tulsa, hopefully it's overnight back).

So assuming it goes out the same day it's fixed, is it reasonable to expect a Friday delivery? I just want it by Monday evening for sure because I had planned to play through Pearl Jam's Ten in Rock Band before work on Tuesday.
The last time I RROD'd, I had less than a week turnaround. Send in the request form, got a box the next day (I believe), sent it off that day and got a new one (read: different) in just a couple of days.
Old 03-17-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I don't care if they send a different one as long as it works, is as quiet or quieter than the one I had, and isn't discolored from smoking or something.
Old 03-17-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Fable plays like shit on the 360 though, like 20 fps choppy.
Also Fable is a huge steaming turd of a game.

Actually i take that back, if someone goes in not knowing anything about it i imagine they will enjoy the hack and slash as well as the inconsequential decision making. If however (like a certain bitter miyu) they followed the development and got burned by Molyneux on both Fable and Black & White they will hate the game for not doing anything it was supposed to do.
Old 03-17-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux

Actually i take that back, if someone goes in not knowing anything about it i imagine they will enjoy the hack and slash as well as the inconsequential decision making. If however (like a certain bitter miyu) they followed the development and got burned by Molyneux on both Fable and Black & White they will hate the game for not doing anything it was supposed to do.
How did you like Fable 2, Miyu?
Old 03-17-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux

I thought Fable and Black and White were excellent.
Old 03-17-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
How did you like Fable 2, Miyu?
I haven't tried it yet. I am enough of an achievement whore i will Gamefly it at some point but he is a designer i simply don't trust. He talks much bigger than he produced. Even my wife who doesn't know a huge amount about games knows his name and my dislike for Lionhead studios.

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Black & White was released completely broken. There was a glitch where you would completely go into a world and your "pet" would be gone and you could never get it back unless it reloaded. Also, if you started the quest to get the Wolf pet unlocked you would be permanently stuck since the quest (at launch) didn't load everything needed to actually finish it. Also, the amount he talked up what would be in B&W (and Fable for that matter) was absurd compared to what you got.

Fable was the same thing. Originally you were supposed to be able to plant trees and watch them age as your character ages. You were supposed to be able to plant a forest and see it mature. Nothing. The decision making was also absurdly simple. Punch villagers and you are ee-vil and sprout horns and have a cloud of flies. Do every fetch quest and you are an angel. Comparing it to KOTOR it seemed so stupid.

Now had i not followed the development and his hype machine i probably would have accepted it as a simple hack and slash game. As it was though, what they had promised and what i got was night and day different.
Old 03-17-09, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy

Then like the other poster said, you probably didn't follow the development cycle of those games and read what they were really supposed to be like. If you want to know what Fable was really supposed to be, read up on Project Ego. Project Ego was what Fable was originally supposed to be until Molyneux completely changed it. Project Ego was hyped up to be one of the greatest RPGs of all time. The final result, Fable, was barely an RPG at all... It was more like Zelda-lite.

If you had followed Project Ego's/ Fable's since the beginning, I don't know how anyone could be anything but utterly disgusted at the end result.
Old 03-17-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by thunderlips
Then like the other poster said, you probably didn't follow the development cycle of those games and read what they were really supposed to be like. If you want to know what Fable was really supposed to be, read up on Project Ego. Project Ego was what Fable was originally supposed to be until Molyneux completely changed it. Project Ego was hyped up to be one of the greatest RPGs of all time. The final result, Fable, was barely an RPG at all... It was more like Zelda-lite.

If you had followed Project Ego's/ Fable's since the beginning, I don't know how anyone could be anything but utterly disgusted at the end result.
Yep. Zelda-lite is a perfect description. They were games where knowing less going into the game is probably a huge help.

The only game that i have ever seen hit the hype level of B&W and Fable since then was Spore.

edited to add: Has anyone seen anything about the console remake of the Witcher? I am very curious about that game and know i am significantly likelier to play it on the 360 over the PC.
Old 03-17-09, 06:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Project Ego Preview (circa 2002)
Old 03-17-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yeah, I don't care if they send a different one as long as it works, is as quiet or quieter than the one I had, and isn't discolored from smoking or something.
When I sent my blissfully quiet 360 in for a dead drive (not RROD) they sent me back one that sounds like a damn freight train. I'm seriously considering toasting it myself in the hopes of getting a quieter one back. Streaming videos is a total no-go due to the noise.
Old 03-17-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mugwump
When I sent my blissfully quiet 360 in for a dead drive (not RROD) they sent me back one that sounds like a damn freight train. I'm seriously considering toasting it myself in the hopes of getting a quieter one back. Streaming videos is a total no-go due to the noise.
That sucks when I sent in my 360 for rrod I was using the intercooler because my system sounds like a truck anyways but the one I got back was whisper quiet and I can't use the intercooler anymore because it's too loud.
Old 03-17-09, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You shouldn't be using the intercooler anyway!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.