Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

creepy people on Live (Gumai's friend)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
creepy people on Live (Gumai's friend)

Dear creepy people,

Just because i am on a friends list of someone you might be friends with, doesn't mean I want to jump into a party chat with you. Nor do I want to exchange messages while I am playing a game, and you shouldnt get pissed off an spam me with messages if I don't bother replying to your friend request. But thankfully, Live has a block all communication option.

L&O

So last night I was playing Dead Space, and get a party invite from someone I don't know - so I was like "Don't know you, won't join." Then he's like "I'm friends with your friend' - so being polite and curious, I ask who and it turns out to be Gumai. I continue playing because i had enough (3 messages) and he sends a friend request, which I ignore because i'm enjoying my game. Then he peppers me with "U SUCK" and "I FUCKED YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT LOL" messages. He quickly got blocked and reported soon after.

So here's to the friends list sharing option. Thanks MS! And Thanks Gumai!!!1!! - this was cupls2 or something like that.
Old 01-26-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: creepy people on Live (Gumai's friend)

To kind of add to this, I hate it when people do a mass invite to a game of everyone on their friends list. I got muliple requests from someone on here yesterday to play Gears 2. I don't even own the game, and have never played it! Take the couple minutes to invite the people you want to play with, and not just spam your entire friends list!
Old 01-26-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

maybe they do that to piss you off, I know some guys do that to me all the time for COD. Damn 8BB guys.
Old 01-26-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't even like my friends, there's no chance I'll like anyone they like. Especially if their other friends are anything like me.

Mass game invites suck. I would be nice if Microsoft had a way to see my game history to know if I should even be sent an invite for a particular game.
Old 01-26-09, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shagrath
To kind of add to this, I hate it when people do a mass invite to a game of everyone on their friends list. I got muliple requests from someone on here yesterday to play Gears 2. I don't even own the game, and have never played it! Take the couple minutes to invite the people you want to play with, and not just spam your entire friends list!
Yea, I get that crap all the time. I deleted 2 friends because of it. I can't play a decent versus round of Left 4 Dead without a Gears 2 invite coming up every 30 seconds. It's pretty damn distracting. I guess the multiple messages that I don't have nor do I intend to get Gears 2 worked. The most I'll do is send 2-3 selected game invites just in case my friend didn't see it or was away.

Most of the time I'm afraid to send invites because I don't know if the person is in the mood for it.
Old 01-26-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shagrath
Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
Yea, I get that crap all the time. I deleted 2 friends because of it. I can't play a decent versus round of Left 4 Dead without a Gears 2 invite coming up every 30 seconds. It's pretty damn distracting. I guess the multiple messages that I don't have nor do I intend to get Gears 2 worked. The most I'll do is send 2-3 selected game invites just in case my friend didn't see it or was away.

Most of the time I'm afraid to send invites because I don't know if the person is in the mood for it.
It isn't their fault guys.

To get to the spot to see who is online on your friends list in Gears 2 (through the menu and not the guide button) you hit a bumper labeled "What's up?"

When you hit that button, it auto sends out invites to everyone on your friends list without telling you this. At least that is how it was explained to me because someone said i kept inviting them to play Gears and i was pretty confused because i never intentionally sent out a single invite.

A really shitty design decision imo.
Old 01-26-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
maybe they do that to piss you off, I know some guys do that to me all the time for COD. Damn 8BB guys.

Like people would invite you intentionally. If you were invited it was assuredly a mistake.
Old 01-26-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
It isn't their fault guys.

To get to the spot to see who is online on your friends list in Gears 2 (through the menu and not the guide button) you hit a bumper labeled "What's up?"

When you hit that button, it auto sends out invites to everyone on your friends list without telling you this. At least that is how it was explained to me because someone said i kept inviting them to play Gears and i was pretty confused because i never intentionally sent out a single invite.

A really shitty design decision imo.
I haven't heard about that.

But I think there's a button for Invite All when you are in the What's up? screen, maybe you are hitting that button without knowing. I think it's the Start button.
Old 01-26-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3
I haven't heard about that.

But I think there's a button for Invite All when you are in the What's up? screen, maybe you are hitting that button without knowing. I think it's the Start button.
Alright, perhaps that was the case. If so, then the folks who spam their whole friends list intentionally should be slapped. That is irritating.
Old 01-26-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux

Like people would invite you intentionally. If you were invited it was assuredly a mistake.
Old 01-26-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Who are you talking about?
Old 01-26-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kakihara1
Who are you talking about?
Old 01-26-09, 01:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Before you do anything rash better check with your mom. What if his story checks out?
Old 01-26-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
Before you do anything rash better check with your mom. What if his story checks out?
Old 01-26-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I checked, she said she was making perogies that night, Dad confirmed it.
Old 01-26-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Dear creepy people,

Just because i am on a friends list of someone you might be friends with, doesn't mean I want to jump into a party chat with you. Nor do I want to exchange messages while I am playing a game, and you shouldnt get pissed off an spam me with messages if I don't bother replying to your friend request. But thankfully, Live has a block all communication option.

L&O

So last night I was playing Dead Space, and get a party invite from someone I don't know - so I was like "Don't know you, won't join." Then he's like "I'm friends with your friend' - so being polite and curious, I ask who and it turns out to be Gumai. I continue playing because i had enough (3 messages) and he sends a friend request, which I ignore because i'm enjoying my game. Then he peppers me with "U SUCK" and "I FUCKED YOUR MOM LAST NIGHT LOL" messages. He quickly got blocked and reported soon after.

So here's to the friends list sharing option. Thanks MS! And Thanks Gumai!!!1!! - this was cupls2 or something like that.
Thanks for calling me out and all, but I actually have no idea who this idiot is (I'd otherwise beat them down with a power brick) and they don't appear to be on my friends list. Chalk this one up to never letting people accept friend requests when they borrow your system, but furthermore, I really don't see them on my list anywhere, like a damned virus.

That said, since when can you see friends of friends? That's kind of fucked up.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-26-09 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-26-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

IIRC, the 'friends of friends' feature was added in the fall update in 2007. You can turn it off.
Old 01-26-09, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
That's been in since the update before NXE, I believe.

It definitely has its uses, as you can set up a "dummy" GT to keep people with similar interests in (ex. DVDTalk Rocks for people that play Rock Band). You can then friend that and have access to numerous people that play RB without clogging up your own friends list with 30-40 people.
Old 01-26-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Thanks for calling me out and all, but I actually have no idea who this idiot is (I'd otherwise beat them down with a power brick) and they don't appear to be on my friends list. Chalk this one up to never letting people accept friend requests when they borrow your system, but furthermore, I really don't see them on my list anywhere, like a damned virus.

It wasn't calling you out in a bad way, just that this particular dude seemed to be of the 10 year old variety, which isn't really what I expected from a fellow dvdtalker's friends list is all - the name is "calub12" I just looked him up on your FL.

What's messed up is, you weren't online last night - so this dude was looking through peoples friends lists for the sake of sending messages to people.
Old 01-26-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It wasn't calling you out in a bad way, just that this particular dude seemed to be of the 10 year old variety, which isn't really what I expected from a fellow dvdtalker's friends list is all - the name is "calub12" I just looked him up on your FL.

What's messed up is, you weren't online last night - so this dude was looking through peoples friends lists for the sake of sending messages to people.
Thanks. Removed.
Old 01-26-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Sorry to hear about your "ordeal" but as they say, "the bigger the basket the more chances for rotten apples". I'll send a invite if (A) they're playing the same game or (B) they're in dashboard and I know they have the game. But yea we still run into a few of those childess inmature twits but thankfully we do have everyone here on DVD Talk. It was pretty much the same back with Halo 1.

I think the next time you run into one of these twerps post their tag here and let all us bombard his but with messages and negative feedback. Mess with one of us and you mess with all of us.
Old 01-26-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Sorry to hear about your "ordeal" but as they say, "the bigger the basket the more chances for rotten apples". I'll send a invite if (A) they're playing the same game or (B) they're in dashboard and I know they have the game. But yea we still run into a few of those childess inmature twits but thankfully we do have everyone here on DVD Talk. It was pretty much the same back with Halo 1.

I think the next time you run into one of these twerps post their tag here and let all us bombard his but with messages and negative feedback. Mess with one of us and you mess with all of us.
calub12
Old 01-26-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I don't even like my friends, there's no chance I'll like anyone they like. Especially if their other friends are anything like me.
Old 01-26-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I thought that one could have their FL set to Private? I'm pretty I have mine set that way. Or is it N/A when it's other friends on your list?
Old 01-26-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242

I think this quote needs to be chiseled in stone.....and then put into "The Ten Commandments of Gaming"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.