Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Valkyria Chronicles PS3

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Valkyria Chronicles PS3

Got the two new mission packs today ... the description for the difficulty pack said something about new weapons, but I'll wait for some reviews before I decide on that one. I definitely don't need the game to be any more difficult. I won't play the new missions until I finish the main game, but I wanted to get them on their release day to support the game as much as possible.
Originally Posted by atxbomber
Yeah I just finished chapter 7, and you really gotta make use of mid-battle saves or you really have to make every move perfect.
I'm up to Chapter 14, and a little embarrassed to admit that it didn't even occur to me to try to save the game in the middle of a battle. That would've saved me quite a few times when I lost a battle near the end!
I really hope Sega does a sequel, because there are a lot of people that, like myself, waited on VC until it went on sell and after playing it would gladly jump into a sequel if given the chance.
The producers have said they're interested in doing a sequel, and the first one did really well in Japan ... hopefully it'll still make it over to the U.S.
Old 04-16-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by darkside
I hate to flip my opinion so quickly on a game, but I'm tapping out on this one in chapter 7. This went from a fun, entertaining game to a completely frustrating experience. I have replayed this mission 5 times now, but my troops keep getting wiped out. I simply miss too many easy shots to be able to take down the tank. I end up trying to play catch up and I get most of my guys killed. I've never had the fun taken out of a game with the speed Valkyria killed it during mission 7.

I'm considering just playing skirmish for several hours to level grind, but that doesn't interest me right now. This one goes on the pile until I feel like dealing with it again.
I don't think there's too much level grinding you can actually do on skirmish sadly as you have to unlock all the levels and you don't have that many by level 7.

That mission is positively brutal. I don't know how I did it without knowing about the save games. I'd suggest going to gamefaqs.com and reading their walk through. It's not what I did at all, but it seems like a pretty good way to pass it. Once you get past level 7, things are still difficult, but they're nowhere near as bad. Plus the game and story just keeps getting better and better.
Old 04-17-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
That mission is positively brutal. I don't know how I did it without knowing about the save games. I'd suggest going to gamefaqs.com and reading their walk through. It's not what I did at all, but it seems like a pretty good way to pass it. Once you get past level 7, things are still difficult, but they're nowhere near as bad. Plus the game and story just keeps getting better and better.
I hate to use the faqs, but I guess that will be my best choice. I can also try saving and loading more frequently in case I have a string of missed shots. I did a couple of skirmishes today and at least maxed out every weapon and armor available right now. I have my troops all at level 5 now so I will try it again.
Old 04-20-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/04/20...arts-in-japan/

Old 04-20-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

thats good to hear, if you have a ps3 you owe your self to pick this game up
Old 04-20-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I wonder how much Gamestop selling it for $29.99 is responsible for those sales. Glad to hear it either way.
Old 04-21-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by maingon
thats good to hear, if you have a ps3 you owe your self to pick this game up
qft.
Old 04-21-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I wonder how much Gamestop selling it for $29.99 is responsible for those sales. Glad to hear it either way.
I'm guessing it's responsible for most of it in the US at least. Still awesome news.
Old 04-23-09, 09:55 PM

Wow. Just finished chapter 7. That was a doozy.
Old 04-23-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of VC:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Valkyria-Chronic...3%3A1|294%3A50

What a deal! Read the entire description and everything.
Old 04-23-09, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
Speaking of VC:

That's too funny!
Old 04-26-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very funny indeed! Good eBay listing if I ever saw one...
Old 04-27-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally finished this game last night. I didn't know this before but after you've cleared the game, you can go back and replay the missions with your same stats and weapons and attempt to get A's on everything.

Supposedly there are some cool potentials you unlock when your Class levels reach level 16 so I'm shooting for those (The highest I got in my playthrough was 15). You unlock the statistics tab which is pretty damn embarassing. Nothing but C's and D's for 80% of the game for me It is MUCH easier with great weapons and higher skill levels. You can basically just ignore enemies on the early rounds and just get directly to the target you need to kill.
Old 05-01-09, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished a few minutes ago. Excellent, excellent game. I'm going to do the DLC next and go back and take a stab at getting "A" rank on all the levels. I hope anybody that became discouraged with chapter 7 continued on through it, because that was probably the hardest mission in the game (at least, for me).
Old 05-01-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished a few minutes ago. Excellent, excellent game. I'm going to do the DLC next and go back and take a stab at getting "A" rank on all the levels. I hope anybody that became discouraged with chapter 7 continued on through it, because that was probably the hardest mission in the game (at least, for me).
Well the problem for me is I never could pass chapter 7 so I had no choice in quiting. I will come back to it someday, but other games came along and it now resides in the pile of the unfinished and unplayed.
Old 05-02-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well the problem for me is I never could pass chapter 7 so I had no choice in quiting. I will come back to it someday, but other games came along and it now resides in the pile of the unfinished and unplayed.
I think you're kind of doing yourself a disservice by not checking out a walkthrough. I know there's a certain satisfaction about doing it yourself, but if it's going to lessen your enjoyment of the game, it's really not worth it.

I remember those long days spent playing Shadowgate on the NES and wishing, hoping that someone would appear from the heavens and show me the effin path.
Old 05-02-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
Speaking of VC:

thats hilarious!
Old 11-16-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've owned this for quite awhile but just recently got around to playing it. I'm on chapter 10. Here was my strategy for chapter 7:

Spoiler:

I always make heavy use of snipers. Deploy two snipers and take out all the enemy troops. Use lancers to take out all the machine guns, then use either the lancers or the Edelweiss to knock down all four ruin walls (don't destroy them). The Batymus will fire at the first one to clear a path, at which point you should climb up the ladders and maneuver lancers or scouts to destroy the radiators (scouts can drop grenades in for a lot of damage). Repair the Edelweiss with an engineer (taking cover behind it) whenever necessary. The engineer should also resupply lancers when necessary.

After the second radiator is destroyed, Selveria will arrive with a new force of troops. Move everyone (except one sniper; you can have the other sniper retreat) as fast as possible behind the most southern walls and hide them there. Move the sniper to the top of the hill (keeping cover) and take out all the troops but Selveria. When they're all dead, have him retreat.

As Selveria nears, block her advance by wedging the Edelweiss next to the Batymus and in front of the descending ramp. She can't damage the Edelweiss. As the Batymus moves, continue to block her path, but save as many command points as possible. Once it fires, sneak a scout or engineer out to destroy the final radiator (this should probably be the one on its starboard side). Then have your lancers move out from their hiding space and use as many turns as it takes to destroy it, resupplying with the engineer.

Obviously, save frequently over multiple saves while attempting this.

Overall, I didn't find this chapter as difficult as some others have, but then again I was satisfied getting a C or D on it. I strongly suggest not even attempting to get an A on this mission!
Old 11-16-09, 12:34 PM

I picked this game up a few months ago and am now on chapter 12 or so. (Yes it takes me a while to play through any game, not enough free time).

I also didn't realize you could save in the middle of a mission until chapter 10 or so. I don't know if I would personally recommend reverting to a save in the middle of a battle if you are getting your ass handed to you, but it would be good to save while you are winning. I really found it more useful when I needed to eat or go to bed.

It is hard not to get discouraged when you hit chapter 7, the difficulty really ramps up. It took me 4 or 5 tries, I didn't even know you could save during a battle.
Spoiler:
Mostly because the first time through I missed the first shot against the tank guns with my Lancer and assumed that this meant it was invulnerable. I was really pissed on the second try when I found that the Lancers could hit it.

It took me about 10 tries to figure out the sneak mission with Alicia and Welkin, saving would have been helpful there!

I think the game is more about figuring out the correct strategy for the scenario, rather than plowing through each one on the first try and level grinding if you fail on the first try. Once I accepted failure as a fact, I enjoy the game alot more.
Old 12-17-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just ordered this from Gamestop.com for $19.99 -10% discount and free ground shipping using code BEMERRY, so $19.27 shipped (had to pay tax here) for a new copy.

Been waiting to pick this up all year, finally going to dig in over winter break.
Old 12-17-09, 03:13 PM

I loved this game. Wish the DLC would go on sale.
Old 12-17-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Support quality games! You should at least get the Behind Her Blue Flame DLC. The other one is fun but just one mission (instead of four altogether, with the secret final mission).

Can't wait for the PSP sequel!
Old 12-18-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 199 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by naitram
Just ordered this from Gamestop.com for $19.99 -10% discount and free ground shipping using code BEMERRY, so $19.27 shipped (had to pay tax here) for a new copy.

Been waiting to pick this up all year, finally going to dig in over winter break.
Thanks for the info! I've been waiting on this one for a while, the coupon really helped offset the shipping cost. $19.47 w/ taxes for me...

I'm going to set the PS3 theme to VC until I get the game...
Old 12-18-09, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of my favorite games of the last couple years. Have fun
Old 03-09-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone buy the latest DLC? ("Challenge of the Edy Detachment")

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.