Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MLB '09: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-09, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: MLB '09: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 3rd

Originally Posted by Goat3001
So what bugs me is when a good player, puts up shitty numbers. There is no logical reason why A-Rod should be batting .225 in June.
They deleted the steroids from this years game. Might explain this.

= J
Old 03-06-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

One thing I hate is despite the fact I turned off fielding, I am randomly inserted as a fielding replacement and forced to deal with it.

However, it's the same issue every time. I get put in the game at short, usually in the 8th or 9th inning. It doesn't matter who is batting, every single time, and I mean every single time the batter either doesn't swing at the pitch or swings and misses. He never makes contact.

I go from a long loading screen to another in less than 15 seconds.

Then if I do get a turn at bat, the guess pitch screen is missing along with the score or any other info you'd normally see during a game. This only happens if I am put in as a defensive replacement.
Old 03-06-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://ps3thevolution.com/2009/03/06...lb09-the-show/

“To the SCEA dev team: you guys have really set the bar as to what sports games should be. After a few of us got our hands on it, we have forced our entire Madden design team to go through the game, take notes, and come up with ideas that could apply to us - and the one universal happening has been that everyone has been 100% blown away by the detail and quality of the product. From the commentary to the animation to the graphics to the presentation to the depth…you guys knocked it out of the park (bad pun intended).

I don’t want to make it look like our opinion matters more than anyone else or anything, but I did want to say - from the Madden design team - GREAT job to all those involved in making this year’s game. You’ve set the bar extremely high for us and everyone else in this industry (which is a very good thing IMO).”

- Ian Cummings, Lead Designer MADDEN 10
Old 03-06-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

While I'm impressed, I guess it's easier to heap praise when your company doesn't publish a pro baseball game, and when the company your praising is in direct competition with your rival (not that Madden really has a rival with their NFL monopoly). Still, I look forward to seeing if they actually do put a lot of improvements into Madden 10...
Old 03-06-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
They deleted the steroids from this years game. Might explain this.

= J
Hopefully they'll release a patch that puts it back in the game.

I'm waiting for a real RTTS mode where at one point you're allowed to inject yourself with steroids and have your stats gets a boost.
Old 03-06-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Maybe you need to do steroids so your twitch muscles are enhanced and you're a better video game player.
Old 03-06-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Tried it for awhile. Got a 50 day suspension from the Playstation Network for it. That was between 2001 and 2003 and unless I'm misremembering something, I've been clean since.
Old 03-06-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you blame it on things being loosey goosey at the time?
Old 03-06-09, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You got hosed dude. For the record, PSN didn't even ban steroids at the time and now their just posturing like they care. You guys that juiced back in 2001 SAVED online play.

Back to The Show -- gotta agree on the load times. Tried to play me some RTTS and not only was I freakin drafted by the Angels (hate those guys) but when a ball was hit to me in the field (with a runner on third), I had no idea how many outs there were or score of the inning, who was on third, etc. All the details you need to consider when you try to make a play weren't there.
Old 03-07-09, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RTTS could work, but it's a real slog to begin as a hitter with no power and no line drive ability. I played about ten games before I finally got sick of grounding grooved fastballs to 2B and rerolled a pitcher.

If anyone's interested in a DVDtalk league, count me in. Online play was easily the best part from last year's version, and it seems to be true of this year's as well.
Old 03-07-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is there a way to get updated rosters from online? I can't seem to find the option this year.
Old 03-07-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Fandango
http://ps3thevolution.com/2009/03/06...lb09-the-show/

“To the SCEA dev team: you guys have really set the bar as to what sports games should be. After a few of us got our hands on it, we have forced our entire Madden design team to go through the game, take notes, and come up with ideas that could apply to us - and the one universal happening has been that everyone has been 100% blown away by the detail and quality of the product. From the commentary to the animation to the graphics to the presentation to the depth…you guys knocked it out of the park (bad pun intended).

I don’t want to make it look like our opinion matters more than anyone else or anything, but I did want to say - from the Madden design team - GREAT job to all those involved in making this year’s game. You’ve set the bar extremely high for us and everyone else in this industry (which is a very good thing IMO).”

- Ian Cummings, Lead Designer MADDEN 10
EA is full of shit. Their rival would be 2k since they signed the exclusive agreement with MLB and they took the NFL from them.

NFL 2k5 set the bar as far as football games go, and that was 4+ years ago. Madden hasn't even come close to pulling that off.

As if Madden '10 will have all these new features. Bullshit.
Old 03-07-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was playing RTTS again earlier. I can't seem to make it to the majors. I am always a part of September call ups, but after 4 years, nothing. Still wasting away in AAA. I had like 5 hits in three games one September, including a game winning three run shot, and 6 RBI. I also batted .400 but no, sent back down.

I think I am going to play franchise now, I want to play for the big club

I noticed two bugs today as well. I had a batting training session come up, so I took it. The pitcher and catcher were there, but I never walked to the plate. After five minutes of waiting, I just exited. Now I have to skip my training.

The second bug was a freeze of sorts. I was at a loading screen in AAA, and about to play a game. Three minutes went by and nothing. The loading bar had stopped moving, but I could still change music if I wanted. I said "fuck this" and turned it off.
Old 03-08-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I still have yet to get to my 08 level of play with this title... batting is definitely more difficult, but I like the challenge.
Old 03-08-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fandango
Is there a way to get updated rosters from online? I can't seem to find the option this year.
I think it asked me automatically as soon as I went online with it. If not, it showed up right away as a menu option, because I know I didn't have to look hard for it.
Old 03-08-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
As if Madden '10 will have all these new features. Bullshit.
Seriously. It's actually a pretty patronizing compliment, considering the fact that Madden does nothing but tread water year after year, while the designers of a game like The Show seem to genuinely listen to feedback, reflect on what changes would work, and evolve the game from year to year. Yet here's the Madden group sounding like they've set the standard in sports games. There's a difference between setting the standard and selling the most copies.

Last edited by redcat; 03-08-09 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-09-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I finally got thru a 75 round fantasy draft and simmed 99% of the season. I ended up in 4th place in my division and moved on to the offseason Rule V draft, free agent signings, etc.

I guess what I don't understand is, why does the CPU literally BASH all the players in it's analysis? If you highlight a player and hit "triangle" and flip over the players card you can see stats and analysis. For EVERY rookie, you get feedback that he just sucks. How in the world can I draft a "diamond in the rough" with feedback like that?
Old 03-09-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
I guess what I don't understand is, why does the CPU literally BASH all the players in it's analysis? If you highlight a player and hit "triangle" and flip over the players card you can see stats and analysis. For EVERY rookie, you get feedback that he just sucks. How in the world can I draft a "diamond in the rough" with feedback like that?
They base all their analysis on how the player is NOW. It changes as they grow older and get better. It's the equivalent of saying that a monster prospect sucks because he's only 18 and if he got to the majors now he would get rocked. Which is true, but there are better ways of rating prospects.

Look for one thing: They have the grading at the top and draft anyone that has an 'A' for potential. That's how you'll find your diamonds in the rough.

Last edited by Goat3001; 03-09-09 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-09-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thinking of picking this up today. Its hard to find details about the game modes and plays, because all the reviews talk about is the things that changed form last year, which is great, but I didn't get '08,so I have some questions:

1. Is there spring training in franchise? I want to start a franchise, but will want practice before I start playing "for real"
2. Once you start a franchise, do rosters "lock"? meaning any downloadable rosters wont affect the franchise I already started? so I should wait for an update before I start a franchise?
3. any differences between Fantasy vs. standard franchise, besides the obvious roster differences?

thanks
Old 03-09-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Yes
2. Yes on both questions
3. No
Old 03-09-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Been playing RTTS like crazy on Veteran and have not been hitting nearly as well as last year. I've finally gotten my average up to something like .230, but that was after an abysmal April and May. My guy is not built for power, but so far I've only hit one HR, and that was in batting practice. My batter is righty, and I keep pulling lined fouls down the third base side or fouling off long fly balls to the first base side. I assume I'll get better.

I finally got promoted to an every day starter in AA but at this rate I expect to play at least full two minor league seasons before I get called up.

Oh, and after 3 days of profuse playing, I can heartily state the soundtrack is just shit shit shit.

God damn that Valencia song is awful. I had to turn everything off until I get time to put custom stuff in there.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 03-09-09 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-09-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I am going to turn off the music as well.
Old 03-09-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok discovered another bug.

In franchise mode, I am the Angels. The coach recommended that I sit Kendrick and replace him. I didn't have anyone else that wasn't taking a day off besides Matthews Jr, so reluctantly I put him in the starting lineup.

The computer skipped his at bat each time he was up, going to the number nine hitter instead. At first I thought it was a feature of the realism of this game, since even the computer knew that Matthews Jr. playing was a bad idea

But the next game I had Kendrick back in the lineup, at the eight spot, and again he was skipped. So maybe nobody gets to bat in the 8th spot? Really annoying error.
Old 03-10-09, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if this was just a bug or what, but playing RTTS, I had a 30-inning game, where it became obvious that neither team was gonna score unless I was involved in the play. I finally came through in the 30th and got an RBI. I didn't come in until the 8th inning, and still went 2 for 11. Looking at the stats, one reliever for the other team went 13 innings. The reliever for my team lasted 21 innings.
Old 03-10-09, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I noticed another couple of bugs.

First the play by play guy called Juan Rivera "Casey Kotchman." Not all the time, maybe every other time. Kind of funny, but annoying. Maybe he misses him

Then the other announcer says "If things don't change soon, they'll fall to two games under .500 for the year."

The problem was my record after the loss was actually three games ABOVE .500.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.