Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Sony vs. Microsoft - A couple of interesting stories for the new year!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sony vs. Microsoft - A couple of interesting stories for the new year!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sony vs. Microsoft - A couple of interesting stories for the new year!

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
The PS3 is too expensive for casual gamers, and not fast enough/powerful enough for serious gamers.
This is just silly. The PS3 has a whole host of marketing and pricing problems, but it's easily the best console from a hardware standpoint...both in terms of power and especially reliability...even if you think Blu-Ray is unimpressive (also silly).

I don't even think the point is debatable.
Old 01-23-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lots of console bashing in this thread...
Old 01-23-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
This is just silly. The PS3 has a whole host of marketing and pricing problems, but it's easily the best console from a hardware standpoint...both in terms of power and especially reliability...even if you think Blu-Ray is unimpressive (also silly).

I think the power part is questionable or at least debatable, especially since we really haven't seen anything on the PS3 that is significantly better then what the 360 can do.
Old 01-23-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it's certainly debatable. I think the real issue is that while the PS3 might have the "best"/fastest hardware, but it's hard to program to get the full power it can provide. When doing multi-console games, the PS3 versions often suffer (on paper specs at least) due to time constraints/laziness. The PS3 exclusives (ala MGS4, KillZone 2) seem to be able to take full advantage and look and perform incredibly because of it.
Old 01-23-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think the power part is questionable or at least debatable, especially since we really haven't seen anything on the PS3 that is significantly better then what the 360 can do.
It isn't really debatable that the PS3 has better raw numbers, but from what developers have said, it is much harder to program for the PS3 than it is the 360, so it is hard for developers to actually use the added power effectively.
Old 01-23-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
When doing multi-console games, the PS3 versions often suffer (on paper specs at least) due to time constraints/laziness. The PS3 exclusives (ala MGS4, KillZone 2) seem to be able to take full advantage and look and perform incredibly because of it.
Another good point. Companies have to be willing to put in extra effort and not just do a straight port.
Old 01-23-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree completely. It is unfortunate for the Sony that raw power != sales.
Old 01-23-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Another good point. Companies have to be willing to put in extra effort and not just do a straight port.
or port from the PS3 to 360
Old 01-23-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mordred
Well, it's certainly debatable. I think the real issue is that while the PS3 might have the "best"/fastest hardware, but it's hard to program to get the full power it can provide. When doing multi-console games, the PS3 versions often suffer (on paper specs at least) due to time constraints/laziness. The PS3 exclusives (ala MGS4, KillZone 2) seem to be able to take full advantage and look and perform incredibly because of it.
I'd say less laziness and more cost effectiveness. I hate how folks always cite developer laziness for not doing certain things when really that's pretty much never the case, especially given budgets and release date restrictions.

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
It isn't really debatable that the PS3 has better raw numbers, but from what developers have said, it is much harder to program for the PS3 than it is the 360, so it is hard for developers to actually use the added power effectively.
It is debatable, since you can't really just look at teraflops or operations per second and assume the PS3 is more powerful. As far as I understand, there are other tradeoffs from the PS3's design besides just being more "difficult" to program for as far as memory and bandwidth, and I've read accounts that the GPU's in both are actually comparable, if not an advantage for the 360's "Xenos"

Last edited by fumanstan; 01-23-09 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 01-23-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I believe it's the meek will inherit the Earth.

= J
"... and the meek shall inherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrit the Earth...."

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 01-23-09 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
"... and the meek shall inherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrit the Earth...."

The Priests of the Temples of the Syrinx wouldn't approve of either the PS3 or Xbox 360
Old 01-23-09, 04:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
It is unfortunate for the Sony that raw power != sales.
Ironically, whenever Sony has had the "weakest" console (in terms of sales), they've done the best in sales.

Indeed, traditionally, the less powerful consoles tend to win each generation. This goes back to the 2600 days, and continues with the Wii.
Old 01-23-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Fandango
Between all the touched up screenshots and CG movies, it's hard to tell
Old 01-23-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say less laziness and more cost effectiveness. I hate how folks always cite developer laziness for not doing certain things when really that's pretty much never the case, especially given budgets and release date restrictions.
I'm a software programmer so I do know what you mean. What I was referring to by laziness is that there seems to be an easy way to get results on the PS3 and a difficult way. The easy way gives craptacular ports that run at half the frame rate of the 360 version. The hard way is as good, if not better than what the 360 can do. I understand the realities of the business and why they wouldn't devote the extra time for the PS3, but it's still lazy. That's not to say that being lazy isn't a good business decision though. If creating a PS3 version at the same FPS as a 360 version delays the release for 3 months then while PS3 owners will be happier, sales for the PS3 aren't going to be worth the extra effort.
Old 01-23-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All the movies from the game are running from the game engine, they are not pre-rendered.
Old 01-23-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 495 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Ironically, whenever Sony has had the "weakest" console (in terms of sales), they've done the best in sales.

Indeed, traditionally, the less powerful consoles tend to win each generation. This goes back to the 2600 days, and continues with the Wii.
What about SNES vs Genesis? SNES definitely had the edge in graphics despite the "blast processing" claims of the Genesis commercials.
Old 01-23-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
The Priests of the Temples of the Syrinx wouldn't approve of either the PS3 or Xbox 360
Another toy that helped destroy the Elder Race of Dorks...
Old 01-23-09, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Still waiting for a reason to buy a PS3. It's not the price that is holding me back, it's lack of interest.
Old 01-23-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Let me readily concede that I neither own a PS3 (or 360), nor am I much of a techie. My summation is based on reading and hearing the complaints of others who have played both consoles. Regardless of the spec's, I frequently encounter complaints of the PS3 not running as fast as my game-playing friends think it should, and rarely the same complaint about the 360.

As for the Blu-ray being unimpressive, what I meant was that now that more affordable Blu-ray players have hit the market, that component of the PS3 is no longer the attractive, novel selling point it was upon release. Now, I subtract the cost of a stand-alone Blu-ray player, and the price differential isn't small enough to justify getting a PS3. Dismiss me all you want, but I've reached the same conclusion, for the same reasons, as people who take their gaming much more seriously than I do.
Old 01-23-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
That really is ironic.
Old 01-23-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts

Honestly I think Sony's main undoing is their continued arrogance. They just seem like such an out of touch company and that trickles down to their hardware.

They develop the cell processor and use the PS3 as a trojan for bluray. That's fine but it jacks up the price. What does Sony say? "Save up for it." They come out with some prototype wonky controller then launch with the same exact controller that they have had for 10 years. (This I don't know if it's arrogance or just plain lack on innovation.) Then they come out with all of these press statements that are just so insane. I know every company has some strange soundbites but Sony just continually has it's head in the sand when it comes to what people want. Actually reminds me of Nintendo last gen.

The absolute biggest thing for me is their utter slap in the face to take backwards compatibility totally out of the picture. From day one they have touted and compared themselves to MS and how the PS3 would have 100% backwards compatibility. Then they strip it out?! Seriously what kind of a jackass move is that? I think that affected their sales more then they thought. I know several people that want to get rid of their PS2 and have an all in one machine that can hook up through one HDMI. But now that that is off the table that takes a major advantage away.

Honestly I think it is a scarier prospect for them when you consider how many people bought the PS3 just for a blueray/media center. I think the install base in terms of gaming shrinks further.

Not that the other two don't have their faults.

I can't believe the RROD is still with us and so prevalent this many years from launch. Is it totally inexcusable. I still am baffled by MS not including Wifi. If online gaming is so important why not include this feature that was built into the DS which cost a scant $30 more then what you are asking for your wifi adapter?! Or at the very least bring down the price of the adapter to $30-50. Why are we still paying for live?

Nintendo is being ridiculous about allowing more storage and getting rid of friend codes.
Old 01-23-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One cool thing about the PS3 is that you can hook up an external hard drive to it. I've been using it as a media center in my room. You can also rip things to it from said hard drive, which is nice.

= J
Old 01-24-09, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman
I can't believe the RROD is still with us and so prevalent this many years from launch. Is it totally inexcusable. I still am baffled by MS not including Wifi. If online gaming is so important why not include this feature that was built into the DS which cost a scant $30 more then what you are asking for your wifi adapter?! Or at the very least bring down the price of the adapter to $30-50. Why are we still paying for live?
Because if everyone is special then no one is special.
Old 01-24-09, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I still am baffled by MS not including Wifi. If online gaming is so important why not include this feature that was built into the DS which cost a scant $30 more then what you are asking for your wifi adapter?! Or at the very least bring down the price of the adapter to $30-50. Why are we still paying for live?
Every company has to pick and choose what to include to keep costs down. MS only fared decent last generation. Think back to 2004, PS2 has sold nearly 100 million consoles to their 20 million. I would imagine an executive's best case scenario with the 360 in 2005 was to match the sales of the original xbox- which would mean selling to essentially the same people that bought the original Xbox, i.e. people that were already on Live and had hookups ready to go. I can see why they'd leave it out.

On the flipside, why did/does Sony still tout the PS3 as the hi-def experience and not include a $2 HDMI cable or component cables? Because they have to make money on accessories to make up for the losses they post on the console. Charging $30 for a cable that costs $2 to make helps the bottom line, just like the wireless adapter from Xbox.

My biggest gripe this generation is how in the fuck did we go from $30 controllers last gen to $50-$60 controllers this gen? That $20 jump can't be "wireless" since the Wavebird was $35. This is nothing more than an ass-raping the customer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.