Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mattysemo247
Print Wikipost

The Video Game Deals Thread

Old 05-19-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Re: The Video Game Deals Thread

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm definitely not arguing otherwise. From the instant it dropped down to $30 for two years, GCU seemed entirely too good to be true. It's nuts that if you bought 3 full-priced games in the span of 2 years, you've already made the subscription fee back and then some. (And factoring in reward points, the $10 preorder bonuses, etc. -- absolutely nuts.) I'm surprised it had as long a run as it did.

If the subscription were more than 3x what it has been -- say, $50 a year -- I'd still be all over it.

I'm sure there weren't a lot of people like me, but GCU really did shift my buying habits away from Amazon, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. and towards Best Buy: games (of course), but also movies, music, appliances, and all that. And, honestly, there's a good chance it'll stay that way just because their other reward programs are so compelling, plus I expect Amazon to drop their 20% preorder discount before my GCU subscription expires.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 05-19-18 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-19-18, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This will probably push more people to digital. The discount (and resale for some titles) are the only reason I haven't bought more digitally.
Old 05-19-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Goodnight, sweet program. You were too good for this world.
I've had a $10 SIM card cremated in your honor.

I knew it was too good to last. Fortunately, I acted on that realization a long time ago :

Old 05-19-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post

Goodnight, sweet program. You were too good for this world.
I've had a $10 SIM card cremated in your honor.

I knew it was too good to last. Fortunately, I acted on that realization a long time ago :

They'll be out of business (or shudder the program and give refunds) before that expires. I know they said grandfathered members would get to keep benefits but I'm sure even that has an expiration date. Like they're not going to bother to code in the discount in the next site refresh.
Old 05-19-18, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a GCU membership because there's no Best Buy near me and I've got Amazon Prime which offers decent deals on games. Hopefully Amazon doesn't kill the Prime discount or I'll definitely cut back. I've impulsively pre-ordered more than I would have because of it.
Old 05-19-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd say there's maybe a 1 percent chance that Amazon continues the program. They've already cut it way back, not including amiibos and cutting it off after release. The only reason they did it in the first place was because of BB.

It's like their Black Friday deals, where they basically just pricematch everyone.
Old 05-19-18, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I don't have a GCU membership because there's no Best Buy near me and I've got Amazon Prime which offers decent deals on games. Hopefully Amazon doesn't kill the Prime discount or I'll definitely cut back. I've impulsively pre-ordered more than I would have because of it.
100% certain bet that Amazon will kill their program.
Actually checking their site, I think they already have!
Old 05-19-18, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You would think though that the average Amazon customer buys more products and that they probably have better overall sales in general as opposed to Best Buy to make up for losses they might take discounting games.
Old 05-19-18, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

GCU was, in a sense, like Moviepass... sell stuff at a loss, perhaps try to get a better deal with the suppliers by how much they sell, and try to make it up with other revenue streams. The fact they kept this going for so long is pretty amazing (a guy at CAG said they basically made no money off of most games and a penny loss on Nintendo games not including shipping and other costs). And the thing theater owners fear with moviepass is true here too... I'm not going back to paying full price for games. The discount (and the amazing visa checkout deal last year) had me impulse buy new games, but when this is gone I can't see going back except for titles I really really want.

Amazon can probably make up for losses or they can kill their program and not take any losses and people won't drop Prime and will still buy games from them. At the very least no need for a 20 percent discount that wipes out all of their profit.
Old 05-19-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Locked in pre-orders for Mario Tennis Aces, Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1+2, and the unofficial Super Smash Bros. just in case. Already had Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection pre-ordered.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-20-18 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-19-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Those games do have the discount. Many, many other pre-orders like Sonic Mania Plus, Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, Spyro trilogy and Cal of Dutly BLOPS IIII do not.
Old 05-19-18, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The discount shows when you add those games to your cart. Just verified with Sonic Mania Plus.
Old 05-19-18, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went ahead and locked in everything I was interested in over the next few months.

Switch: Runner 3, Octopath Traveler, Captain Toad, Mario Tennis Aces, Smash Bros, Shovel Knight 3pack amiibo
PS4: Vampyr, Detroit, Spyro Trilogy
Old 05-20-18, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Last Guardian is $20/$16 at Best Buy. Seems like a solid price. What was the DVDtalk consensus on that one? I loved Ico but hated Colossus with the passion of a thousand suns.
Old 05-20-18, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
100% certain bet that Amazon will kill their program.
Actually checking their site, I think they already have!
I preordered a game a few weeks ago that releases in two weeks; when I checked the item the other day, it no longer offered the prime discount. So yeah
I didn't use GCU as much as a lot of people but it did get me to buy a few games earlier in their release cycle than I would have without it. Granted, I rarely bought other stuff at the same time.
Enjoy it while it lasts, people with extended memberships!
Old 05-20-18, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
The discount shows when you add those games to your cart. Just verified with Sonic Mania Plus.
Nope. You’re talking Best Buy ( where the discounts will continue for the length of your current membership— I hope), Mike86 and I were referring to Amazon Prime where very few Pre-Orders still show a discount.
Old 05-20-18, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Gotcha.

Well, I went ahead and preordered a big stack of games from Best Buy -- Sonic Mania Plus, Spider-Man, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Super Smash Bros., Yoshi, Metroid Prime 4, Rage 2, and Death Stranding -- just to lock in the GCU discount.

That's essentially everything I'm interested in that they have for preorder (since Red Dead Redemption 2, Days Gone, Forza Horizon 4, etc. aren't available to preorder right now). There are some I'm strategically holding back on for birthday/Christmas gifts, like Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I might cancel/re-evaluate some of what I've preordered once release dates become clearer. Hopefully GCU is still a thing after E3 since I'm sure there'll be a lot more up to preorder then.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 05-20-18 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-20-18, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Last Guardian is $20/$16 at Best Buy. Seems like a solid price. What was the DVDtalk consensus on that one? I loved Ico but hated Colossus with the passion of a thousand suns.
I always want to like Fumito Ueda's games they seem right up my alley but yeah Ico is the only one I liked. I never cared for Colossus back when it came out and then tried to replay it on PS4 and still didn't like it. Last Guardian I disliked even more. Besides the obvious frustrating parts of trying to get Trico to do what you want the controls for your character are awful as is the camera. I stopped a few hours in. I don't understand how it takes like 6 years for him to release a game and even the most basic things like controlling your character are complete shit.
Old 05-20-18, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot about the unofficially titled Yoshi Switch game. Looks like that’s still eligible for the Prime discount so I’ll add that to my stack.
Old 05-20-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
I always want to like Fumito Ueda's games they seem right up my alley but yeah Ico is the only one I liked. I never cared for Colossus back when it came out and then tried to replay it on PS4 and still didn't like it. Last Guardian I disliked even more. Besides the obvious frustrating parts of trying to get Trico to do what you want the controls for your character are awful as is the camera. I stopped a few hours in. I don't understand how it takes like 6 years for him to release a game and even the most basic things like controlling your character are complete shit.
Good to know. Controls are easily the worst thing about those games. It's amazing that three games in and they can't get the basic function of movement down.
Old 05-21-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So uh... GCU discount is no longer showing up in cart right now either. People are hoping that it's due to the 10% off site-wide game sale going on right now, but... frightening.
Old 05-21-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the 20% isn't working on preorders either. If they changed it to 10% for people that still have a subscription, that's pretty fucked up.
Old 05-21-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No need to panic -- yet. This looks to be a glitch not a change in policy.

http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gam...g/td-p/1138721
Old 05-21-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it was a glitch. But I wouldn't mind 10% off digital.

Man the posts from people who aren't affiliated with BB are way more helpful than the ones that are. I still don't see an official response on their forums.
Old 05-21-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually tons of shit on their site is 10% off right now. I preordered a couple blu ray steelbooks. Stacked with the $1.00 off pickup too.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.