Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I keep the Wii, or return it for an XBOX 360?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Should I keep the Wii, or return it for an XBOX 360?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the 360.
Old 12-25-08, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awil1026
I got rid of my Wii in November and I feel great about it. Go get yourself a 360!
we did the same thing, it was bought last xmas for the kids and they stopped playing it after a few months. I've now got a 360 again and haven't regretted the purchase.
Old 12-25-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
Even without the online component, based on your past experience you should go for the 360.

Better graphics for one, and just a hell of a lot of good games compared to the Wii.

I like having the Wii around, but I really don't use it nearly as much as my PS3 or 360.

Most days I'd rather just play with a controller than swinging my arms around and stuff.
Old 12-25-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have all three and definitely get the 360. The Wii gets used about 5% of the time compared to the 360 and PS3.
Old 12-25-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Sell the threadmill and get an XBOX 360 and a PS3
Old 12-25-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I've got both a Wii and a 360, and even though I have a six year old boy, the 360 sees most of my and our gaming activity. Only a few games on the Wii have really captured my attention the way that many more have on the 360, and there are plenty of family games on there as well. You say you're not into gaming online, but if you hook it up to Live, you then have access to hundreds of great classic or new games on XBLA.
If you like FPSes and GTA type games, definitely the 360. RE4 was great on the Wii, but there are tons of great FPSes on 360 (not my favorite genre, so I can't personally recommend any except Bioshock and Fallout 3).
Old 12-25-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

360 for sure. You could try a game like "Scene It" to play with your wife (movie trivia). There are a handful of games on the 360 which work quite well with couples or with kids I think. I'm interested in Lips, the karaoke game, but I heard the song list isn't the greatest.
Old 12-25-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Return it for a 360
Old 12-25-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Wii is going back!

Now I just have to figure out which 360 I should get.
Old 12-26-08, 06:40 AM

my wii is collecting dust, i do all of my gaming on my 360 and PS3
Old 12-26-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have both and if I had to choose to keep 1, I definitely would keep the 360. Not only because it actually has games to play, but the Netflix streaming feature is great. The Wii's gamelist, imo, stinks. It's gimmicks first, games second.
Old 12-26-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm sure you might find a few games amusing on the Wii, but honestly I haven't found the Wii controls to make any game more "involved" versus a standard controller.
I'll go against the crowd a bit and disagree with this opinion. Especially for shooter games (FPS), the Wii is *far* more immersive. Why? You are actually pointing a gun (wiimote, or zapper, or perfect shot gun accessory) at the targets/enemies onscreen and pulling the trigger. That is completely different than moving a cursor around with thumbsticks, etc.

If youlike FPS/lightgun games, the Wii is worth keeping for that alone. I don't see how people equate the 'experience' of moving a cursor around with actually aiming at the screen and shooting. (This is apart from the other comments about game selection, etc. For me, the Wii has enough interesting games to keep me busy.)

Some sports games have similar control benefits on the Wii. For example, I FAR prefer performing a golf swing on Tiger Woods to make a shot than timing signals with button presses. The Wii is far more realistic/involving in that way. Also, throwing punches in Victorious Boxers is a fun workout. (Wii Sports Boxing is gesture-based and does not follow actual punching motions, and is not good for a workout.) You don't get this type of control (which is notjust a gimmick) on the Xbox/PS2.
Old 12-26-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I own a few light gun games (Ghost Squad and House of the Dead 2 & 3) as well as two Perfect Shot's, and while I find them a nice diversion for 15-20 minutes at a time I just don't find FPS games that involving despite actually holding a "gun." Maybe it's the floaty accuracy and the mediocre graphics versus a FPS on the 360, where realistic environments make the games feel a bit immersive.

And I agree there are some sports titles that are suited well to motion controls, but I don't care for Golf. The more complicated sports like football and basketball that i'm in to haven't seemed to work well with the Wii.
Old 12-26-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by drmoze
Also, throwing punches in Victorious Boxers is a fun workout. (Wii Sports Boxing is gesture-based and does not follow actual punching motions, and is not good for a workout.)
I'm far from being athletic, or even a big fan of boxing, but I have frequently tried the Wii Sports boxing (often as part of my fitness training). I am often frustrated that, of all the games on that disc, boxing is the one that seems to least mimic what I am doing. So, what you're saying is that I should find Victorious Boxers more rewarding to play?

I'm not looking for anything particularly involved; i.e., I don't care about customizing a character or following his boxing career. I just want to throw some punches once in a while and feel like my video game character is actually doing what I'm doing.
Old 12-26-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The 360 is the way to go.
Old 12-29-08, 07:46 PM

I bought a Wii on a whim the day BEFORE Thanksgiving b/c I was on the fence about what system to buy. I figured that the Wii was going to sell like crazy on Black Friday. Anyway, the night of Thanksgiving on my way back from South NJ, I passed my usual Best Buy and saw the Black Friday people already setting up camp and it was only 10:30 @ night! When I got home, I went and checked out these boards on what deals appealed to me and if it was worth me getting up early. Lucky for me by the time I turned around it was already 4 AM and I was wide awake so I went and waited on the line (which was not much longer than the line from earlier). When I got there, they already had given out the vouchers for the more popular items. Someone tried to sell me a voucher for the XBOX Bundle b/c they were out of those; eventually the kid just gave it to me realizing it was stupid to try to sell a ticket for something he wasn't going to buy.

So I picked up my bundle for the XBOX 360 w/ LEGO INDIANA JONES, KUNG FU PANDA, TONY HAWK (something something), and NBA 2K9. $299; I thought it was a steal. I returned the Wii later that day realizing that after wading through most of my favorite titles from college, etc.; a lot were not available for the Wii and the 360 had the kind of catalog I was looking for. I think the Wii is great but a lot of their titles are way too "family friendly" or you actually have to have a few other people around to actually play instead of the computer. Sports, Superheroes, Racing & Fighting is more my schtick so via eBay and clearance sales I have been able to pick up: MORTAL KOMBAT VS. DC UNIVERSE, LEGO BATMAN, ROCKSTAR GAMES TABLE TENNIS, MADDEN '09, PURE (ATV Game), NFL STREET 2, FIFA STREET and NBA STREET HOMECOURT. I didn't pay FULL-PRICE on any of those games! They were all bought either on Holiday Sale OR Brand New on eBay. So being around the same age as you; I totally had "Wii Fever" until I realized that I didn't want to be running around while playing video games; thats why I waste money on a gym membership! Plus w/ the XBOX LIVE feature, I can play my old friends from college. You made the smart move. To me, Wii is more of a novelty system. 360 gives you both options of playing some of those "interactive" games like GUITAR HERO, etc. but also the cool Gamer Game's even if you're not a hardcore gamer!! The nail in the coffin for me was the difference b/w Wii MADDEN and the real MADDEN....

--Dorfler
Old 12-30-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Wii was returned yesterday, but I now have to hold off on the 360 due the the preggers thing, and my wife unsure about the stability of her job.
Old 12-30-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Sorry to hear that snowmaker. Similar situation happened to my brother earlier in the year. He was going to buy a big screen tv with his tax refund. We were in the store, he was ready to buy, and he decided at the last minute to wait to find a better deal. A week later life got in the way(money had to be used elsewhere) and he still hasn't gotten that tv.

Of course on the opposite side of the coin, it probably worked out for the better at the time.
Old 12-30-08, 10:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn! You should have took the Wii out of the box immediatley and destroyed the packaging. Anyway Congradulations on the pregnancy.

Last edited by MANBREASTS; 12-30-08 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-30-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
The Wii was returned yesterday, but I now have to hold off on the 360 due the the preggers thing, and my wife unsure about the stability of her job.
Sorry man
Old 12-30-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now she's saying I can go get the $199 one, if its good enough. Is the "Arcade" Edition good enough if I never plan to do any online gaming?
Old 12-30-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have friends who intended to never go online to play but now they play online ALL THE TIME...so think that over.
Old 12-30-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I have friends who intended to never go online to play but now they play online ALL THE TIME...so think that over.
Well I've had my original XBOX since 2003 and never played online once. I just like to stick in a game and play.
Old 12-30-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Now she's saying I can go get the $199 one, if its good enough. Is the "Arcade" Edition good enough if I never plan to do any online gaming?
If you get the arcade edition, you can pick up the 20 GB hard drive rather cheaply here:

http://www.xboxstorageupgrade.com/hh...ssLocale=en_US

Although, I'd recommend getting the 60 GB Holiday bundle or the Guitar Hero bundle.

I've had a 360 since launch and don't do much online gaming but download demos, etc and love the new install to the hard drive option for games, but the original 20 GB hard drive (of which you have about 13 GB usable) is a problem even for keeping a small amount of content and installing anything on the HD.
Old 12-30-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
My advice is always to skip the minimum version of anything because it's much better to not use something to its fullest than to want it to do more than it can. Perhaps to help offset the cost, you might consider cashing in some of your other games or DVD's. Not only will it help financially, but it's less clutter to have around with a baby on the way. I mean, if you can swing $199 for the Arcade version, maybe you can come up with the difference from selling things.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.