Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

You decide... Which game should I start out 2009 with?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: What game should I play next?
Assassin's Creed (360)
9.64%
Prince of Persia (360)
12.05%
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (360)
3.61%
Metroid Prime: Corruption (Wii)
12.05%
Resident Evil 4 (Wii)
18.07%
Mega Man 9 (Wii)
1.20%
Little Big Planet (PS3)
13.25%
Uncharted (PS3)
25.30%
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
3.61%
Conker's Bad Fur Day (Xbox)
1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

You decide... Which game should I start out 2009 with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm also surprised at the lack of support for Kingdom Hearts.
I don't think you'd enjoy Kingdom Hearts. You like Disney well enough, so that might keep you interested as well as your girls, but the game around it doesn't seem like it would be your cuppa.

You still have Overlord, right? You should try that too. Conker is good, but it'll show its age at this point.

/didn't vote
Old 01-02-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Weird. I haven't played Underworld (hated the demo), but I've played the previous two TR games on the 360, and I felt Uncharted (even though it does lean more towards gunplay - it's sorta like Gears of War in that regard) blew TR away in every single conceivable way - from fluidity of controlling Drake to the more interesting looking settings, Uncharted felt like an uber-polished 5-star game to TR's average 3-star game.

I think you went in expecting this game to be something it's not (you were expecting maybe more adventure/exploration and less action/shooting) and ended up more disappointed than if you went in with the proper expectations.

Speaking of which, (not really a spoiler, just a heads up) get ready for the last 25% or so of the game that is pretty much all gunplay.
Not necessarily. I've heard over and over how it's more gunplay than 'adventure' but so far there has been zero adventure. So in that regard I am disappointed. It's more of a third person action game than adventure game, which is fine, I just think with the setting and even the adventure like setting & controls seem like a waste. It's just hard to shake the TR comparison when you are exploring exotic locales for ancient treasure in third person with a bit of platforming tossed in.

As for Underworld, the settings are amazing and more varied than what I've seen thus far in Uncharted. Graphically, Uncharted probably still has the edge though. TR:U's downfall is the wonky camera, gun-play and seemingly missing ledges even if you appear to be right where you need to be. The controls are tight as ever. Also Underworld's environments are huge, none of the narrow corridor of trees blocking your way into the jungle found in Uncharted. I definitely recommend giving it a rental if you can get past the terrible camera. There is hardly any gun-play though, it's an adventure game through-and-through.

Again, it sounds like I'm needlessly bashing the game when I'm not. It's a great game, I just think it could have been a lot stronger in the adventure department. I am looking forward to getting back to it, which says a lot right there.

Originally Posted by pinata242
I don't think you'd enjoy Kingdom Hearts. You like Disney well enough, so that might keep you interested as well as your girls, but the game around it doesn't seem like it would be your cuppa.

You still have Overlord, right? You should try that too. Conker is good, but it'll show its age at this point.

/didn't vote
Yeah, I have probably 10 more games I could list for another poll which is sad. I did this thread at work off the top of my head so I forgot about Overlord. As you said Kingdom Hearts doesn't really fall into my gaming genre 'comfort zone' but I figured the Disney aspect might be enough to carry me through.

If no one cares, maybe I can do a different poll in a month or so. This was kinda fun, especially since it ended up being a game that I'm late to the party for.
Old 01-08-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: You decide... Which game should I start out 2009 with?

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune: FINISHED

It was a great fucking game although I could have done without the lame quick time events. I don't mind them in general when used sparingly, but these were so short that they were non-essential. I mean if it's going to be as simple as one button press, just show me the animation and leave out the bullshit button press altogether.

Nathan & Elana were excellent characters from the start. Sully grew on me by the end. The voice acting was superb. The only other games that really made me take notice this gen in regards to voice work were Heavenly Sword & Dead Rising, so that's saying something.

I played on Normal, and only had issues in a couple of spots. Nothing major. Overall it was pretty easy. I'm still a little bummed the puzzles (or lack thereof) were so weak. Also resorting to Spaniard 'creatures' at the end was terribly lame. Leave the fantastical crap to Lara, I liked the realistic nature(humans fighting humans over treasure) of the first 90% of Uncharted.

I enjoyed the vehicle levels, especially gunning in the jeep and wish there were a couple more of those. However, how is it that WaveRace is 10 years old and yet no one can get that same level of 'feel' of down yet in regards to jet skis?

Final stats:
Play time: @9 hours
Treasures: 45/60
Trophies: 48%

It would have been a lot easier to trophy hunt without having two dozen of them being secret ??? ones.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-08-09 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-08-09, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune: FINISHED

It would have been a lot easier to trophy hunt without having two dozen of them being secret ??? ones.
Agreed. Secret Achievements in general are bullshit. In all honesty what is the point of rewarding you for doing something in a game when you don't know what you are supposed to do?
Old 01-08-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So what's next, RE4 on Wii?

I still haven't beat the damn thing on gamecube, and I got it on release day a few years back. I really need to start playing that again.
Old 01-08-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think I'm going to run through Force Unleashed next. I've got a hankerin' for some Star Wars action.

I might do a different poll next month if anyone wants to continue paving my way for me in 2009.
Old 01-08-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I enjoyed the vehicle levels, especially gunning in the jeep and wish there were a couple more of those. However, how is it that WaveRace is 10 years old and yet no one can get that same level of 'feel' of down yet in regards to jet skis?
Love the jeep, hate the jet ski in the "Going Upriver" level. I admit I've replayed Uncharted a few times and that's the only level I skip (well, and some of the "Spaniard" ones). The jet ski on level water is OK, though.
Old 01-08-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

my backlog is looking kinda like corvins. I'm the only one who suggested Mega Man 9 cause that's what I'm working toward. Beating all the Mega Mans in order. I'm currently on #5.
Old 01-08-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Also resorting to Spaniard 'creatures' at the end was terribly lame. Leave the fantastical crap to Lara, I liked the realistic nature(humans fighting humans over treasure) of the first 90% of Uncharted.
In all fairness, the game spent considerable efforts forshadowing that "twist". Nate noted how the ships were sunk, the city intentionally flooded, and how something had set up and latter gnawed on the impaled grun he and Elena found. And let's not forget Eddie telling Nate and later Roman how his men were being wipe out by something in the island.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Love the jeep, hate the jet ski in the "Going Upriver" level. I admit I've replayed Uncharted a few times and that's the only level I skip (well, and some of the "Spaniard" ones). The jet ski on level water is OK, though.
Everytime I've played the game I've played every single level. However the jet ski part is odd because the game moves at such a brisk pace and you're given a fast vehicle but it's in a level that demands you take your sweet time to avoid being killed by any of the myriads of random gunmen. The second part is worse because at least the first has a grenade launcher whereas the second you only get a handgun (and we all know how "easy" those grunts fall to gunfire).

The part with the Descendants (the Spaniards) was a refreshing change of pace since very little ammo was needed to take them down and you could just run-and-gun.
Old 01-08-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVDChris
my backlog is looking kinda like corvins. I'm the only one who suggested Mega Man 9 cause that's what I'm working toward. Beating all the Mega Mans in order. I'm currently on #5.
My backlog's way worse than Corvin's. Probably 25-30 games. Some of them I've played a little bit, and some I've never even but in the system.
Old 01-08-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mines easily worse than Corvin's. And Corvin's lame because he never took me up on the We Cheer action.

Old 01-08-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I actually have about 36 games unplayed.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
In all fairness, the game spent considerable efforts forshadowing that "twist". Nate noted how the ships were sunk, the city intentionally flooded, and how something had set up and latter gnawed on the impaled grun he and Elena found. And let's not forget Eddie telling Nate and later Roman how his men were being wipe out by something in the island.
True, but it still felt 'off' by the time they showed up. It was just far too late in the game I think. It would have been different if they at least made an appearance earlier even if it was just in a cut scene.
Old 01-08-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

True, but it still felt 'off' by the time they showed up. It was just far too late in the game I think. It would have been different if they at least made an appearance earlier even if it was just in a cut scene.
I understand where you're coming from. For me it was different because I was so engrossed in the story and was picking up on all the hints. That kept me in anticipation for the twist and I actually liked it. I just wish Nate had found some sort of documents from the Nazi's (or even another document written by Francis Drake) that would have detailed who exactly was inside the idol and how the curse originally came to be.

I do know that in the sequel, the writers of the new game went to great pains to make sure that the build up from the MacGuffin of Marco Polo's missing ships to the real focal point of the story,
Spoiler:
some artefact that may or may not possess the ability to grant your every desire,
is as gradual and natural as possible. So it may be a better experience, narratively speaking, for you.
Old 01-08-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVDChris
Originally Posted by Shagrath
My backlog's way worse than Corvin's. Probably 25-30 games. Some of them I've played a little bit, and some I've never even but in the system.
I actually have about 36 games unplayed.
How on earth do you guys end up with piles of unplayed games that large!? That's a serious question. Do you guys buy every game that looks interesting to you or do you take advantage of too many deals? I don't understand the mentality behind having more games than you'll ever have time to play, let alone buying them (games aren't exactly cheap, after all).

When I get a new game, I play it immediately (that's why I bought it, after all) and if it's good enough, I'll play it to the end (if it has one). Once I'm done with it, I get a new game. At any given moment, I'm only playing through one game and I don't think I've ever had more than 2 "extra" games sitting around, which usually only happens during the holidays when I might get more than one game for Christmas.

Anyway, I don't understand why you guys do this to yourselves, but to each their own I suppose. Not trying to be rude or anything, it just boggles my mind.
Old 01-08-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if I don't obtain something that I want when it comes out or soon after, it tends to fall off the radar for me and I never get around to it. I also have a LOT of trade fodder that helps me get the games I want for free/very cheap.

Expendable income is also partly to blame.
Old 01-08-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FatTony
How on earth do you guys end up with piles of unplayed games that large!? That's a serious question. Do you guys buy every game that looks interesting to you or do you take advantage of too many deals? I don't understand the mentality behind having more games than you'll ever have time to play, let alone buying them (games aren't exactly cheap, after all).

When I get a new game, I play it immediately (that's why I bought it, after all) and if it's good enough, I'll play it to the end (if it has one). Once I'm done with it, I get a new game. At any given moment, I'm only playing through one game and I don't think I've ever had more than 2 "extra" games sitting around, which usually only happens during the holidays when I might get more than one game for Christmas.

Anyway, I don't understand why you guys do this to yourselves, but to each their own I suppose. Not trying to be rude or anything, it just boggles my mind.

I am in your boat. I buy a game, go through it (some not to completion), and I make a decision whether or not it goes to the collection or is sold.

Having a pile of unplayed games that I may or may not like would drive me nuts.

I currently have 10 collection games, half of which are music based and 2 are COD's...
Old 01-08-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I usually only have a backlog of a few games because I can only concentrate on one or two at a time. I've stopped buying a bunch of games new when they are released if I know I won't get to them, and thus my 360 catalog doesn't have too many games, only the big ones I know I really want to play.

I've always wondered the same about folks with dozens of unopened DVD's they've never watched.
Old 01-08-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I came back into this thread expecting an update or a link to Corvin playing We Cheer.

It was not here.

Corvin needs to remedy this situation asap.
Old 01-08-09, 05:29 PM
Banned

I can relate to the backlog, I have probably 60-70 360 games waiting to be put in for the first time. I tend to buy anything of remote interest as soon as it is released, then play whatever happens to catch my eye. I got deep into Gears 2 and Left 4 Dead and haven't done much else. Just started Dead Space, but haven't even touched Fallout 3, COD: WAW, Rise of the Argonauts, Lego Batman, Destroy All Humans, Saints Row 2, Far Cry 2, Mercenaries 2, Force Unleashed, etc. Hell I bought Soul Calibur 4 at release and haven't played one fight. But I love knowing they're all here and as long as I can afford it, I doubt I will stop. I am glad to say my last-gen backlog is over and PS3 is the worst for me with games, so the 360 is my main addiction this gen. I only have 30-40 Wii games, but my wife tends to play those more than me.
Old 01-08-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I came back into this thread expecting an update or a link to Corvin playing We Cheer.

It was not here.

he keeps ignoring my posts. I think I called his bluff.
Old 01-08-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should offer up We Cheer to someone else if Corvin won't step up to the plate.
Old 01-08-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I nominate Martin.

Or Deb.

Unfortunately i don't have a Wii so i can't volunteer.
Old 01-08-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by FatTony
Well I came into this generation with the mantra of buy it, beat it, sell it. I actually did fairly well for the first two years of the 360's life. It's really a combination of a few factors.

First is that there are far more GREAT games this generation than last generation, IMO. It was easy to stick to the Halos last gen and skip the average titles. Live & achievements are a solid differential this generation as well.

Second is deals. I'm a collector at heart, so whatever I'm into I end up buying more than I should. In the 90's it was novels and Star Wars shit. Most of the '00s went to DVDs. Now it's games.

Third, up until last year I didn't have to worry about the Guitar Heroes and Rock Bands of the world. Ignorance was bliss. Now a HUGE chunk of my gaming time ends up in those games when I would normally be playing something in my pile.

Lastly, this is the first generation that I've owned all the consoles which gives me triple the number of great titles to play. So like the others, it's best to grab a game I had my eye on when it goes on clearance/sale before it's forgotten.

I do actually finish 99% of the games I buy/play so I do get my money's worth. It's just a perfect storm of factors this gen to cause the library to grow so large.

Originally Posted by xmiyux

It was not here.

I said I'd play it if it was shipped and post feedback. On camera though? I doubt it. The internet never forgets.
Old 01-08-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Come on! The the video is absolutely necessary.

You could become the next Wii Fit Girl!
Old 01-09-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just thought of something funny. We should have a who has the worst backlog tournament.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.