Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

iPhone/iPod Touch App Talk

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: iPhone/iPod Touch App Talk

PQ - less than two hours. I don't really use the Touch without it being plugged into power anymore.

7 Cities is $2 through the end of today.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 02-15-09 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-15-09, 02:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Thinking about 7 Cities, as I've about played out The Creeps (99 cents) and all the free tower defense games. Any recommendations?
Old 02-15-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"All the free TD games" - I only know of one, how many do you know? BTW The Creeps and 7 Cities have Lite versions, get the 7 Cities Lite version and decide today if you want it before it jumps back up
Old 02-15-09, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
"All the free TD games" - I only know of one, how many do you know?
Most of them are "lite" versions, but there are at least eight different free TD games I've found so far. I just searched tower defense. Haven't fully tried them all yet, but a couple look like they have slight potential.
Old 02-15-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only free game I found was Tap Defense. All others are Lite versions.
Old 02-15-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Field Runners is the best followed by 7 Cities, but both are quite different so they're relatively complimentary. I haven't tried Creeps though. Tap Defense is pretty weak compared to the first 2, although it is free of course.

That's too bad about Puzzle Quest, I wonder what they're doing that's causing it to drain the battery so such. It shouldn't be a graphic intensive game.
Old 02-15-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I had to guess I'd say that it's the special effects - lightning and buzzing with skulls, powder effect with gems, things moving down all the time, etc.

The Creeps is a buck a lot of the time, HIGHLY recommend it.
Old 02-15-09, 05:49 PM

Yep, Creeps was the best buck I've spent in the store. But now I've beaten all eight limited levels with no losses, so need to move on.
Old 02-19-09, 01:09 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

iDracula is up for only .99cents, I think it's a steal at that price. The developer says this is only on sale for now regular price is $2.99. A big update is coming with more levels, game modes, and new weapons.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GiXK1cRmBo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GiXK1cRmBo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://toucharcade.com/link/http://i...305196662&mt=8
Old 02-19-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I checked it out, pretty good at that price. It's not something you can casually play while changing trains etc. but if you have 5-10 minutes it's a good time.
Old 02-20-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've recently become hooked on a Japanese game called "Nurikabe."

The iDevices have two,

Nurikabe Full

Paid version, $1, 300 levels, http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...298813365&mt=8
Lite demo, free, http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...298972810&mt=8

and Nurikabe

Paid version, $3, 100 levels, http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...286857709&mt=8

The DS has some (including Brain Puzzle Pack, a European release with a few hundred levels).

I figured 4 bucks was a great way in English to get my feet wet in the game

I'm TOTALLY addicted. Hard to get the hang of it (at least for me) but once you understand how it works, it rules!

$1 for 300 levels is a bargain.

---------------------------------------------------

I used to play Vexed on the Palm for hours and was totally addicted. I found it on the iDevices!

Both of them are ONE BUCK.

Vexed, http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...287710109&mt=8, 2880 levels (yes, you read that right).
This is the orignal Palm version with all its level packs.

Updated graphics version:
Vexed!!, http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...296781771&mt=8, 538 levels

Free game with Vexed-like gameplay, get it while it's free!
BrainFreeze, http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...300883758&mt=8

Speaking of the Palm, remember Rally 1000? It's on the iDevices too!

For $3 you can be the proud owner of Right of Way, http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...290590839&mt=8

GeoDefense - Geometry Wars marries Tower Defense games.

Awesome graphics and sounds, 30 maps with different rules.

Love it but it's hard as hell!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...305608325&mt=8

And, oh, yeah, a buck

Last edited by GatorDeb; 02-20-09 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-23-09, 11:47 PM
Mok

Chapter 2 for Puzzle Quest is up for free now.
Old 02-24-09, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I caved at PQ for $8. It's a handy little time waster even if I've already played it to death.

Wondering if anyone is using any of the file storage apps on their device? Like the ones that allow you to store various documents and then view them, for example, PDFs, docs etc. Any recommendations?
Old 02-24-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got Heavy Mach for a buck a couple of days ago, and it's a very impressive tank shooter game. Easy to control and cool weapons.

I can't wait for Let's Golf to come out.... that really looks promising!
Old 03-02-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i finally upgrade it to 2.1... it's stupid that Apple want $10 for the upgrade. The hell with that, Google a little bit and upgraded for free.

Most of the games are for really short play (not talking about short game). For me, Lite versions are more than fine (free). After a while, the whole thing with rotating around the ipod touch gets old. And when the game is interesting, say more than 10 minutes, my hands start to complaint...
Old 03-02-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chris_D
I caved at PQ for $8. It's a handy little time waster even if I've already played it to death.
I can't imagine myself playing hours and hours of PQ on the touch. No way... even if i want to, really bad, my hands just won't oblige. The touch is good, but not exactly designed for long gaming sessions.
Old 03-02-09, 03:06 PM
Mok

I picked up The Quest, it's seems pretty cool, kind of like Morrowind. The graphics are not that great, but I love a good RPG.

<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0KMay1T5sA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a0KMay1T5sA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>
Old 03-02-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ocelot
I can't imagine myself playing hours and hours of PQ on the touch. No way... even if i want to, really bad, my hands just won't oblige. The touch is good, but not exactly designed for long gaming sessions.
Hmm, maybe it's the 2nd gen that I have, being more comfortable. I've played a couple of hours of Galcon straight on it no problems. Also, I use it for long commutes but I tend to vary between watching videos and doing something interactive. Puzzle Quest just requires single finger swipes so it's not a problem for me. iDracula makes my hands a bit more tired because you hold it more like a traditional gaming device and use both thumbs.
Old 03-02-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok
iDracula is up for only .99cents, I think it's a steal at that price. The developer says this is only on sale for now regular price is $2.99. A big update is coming with more levels, game modes, and new weapons.
I picked this one up and its really good. Controls may take a minute to get used to but they work really well. Another fun game for a buck. Really love the iPod for that.
Old 03-02-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm tempted to try The Quest. Actually, I'm hoping for more games that are similar to the old Dungeons and Dragons games that we used to see on the PC in the late 80s and early 90s (like Pools of Darkness, Pools of Radiance, Eye of the Beholder). I loved playing those, and they're not graphics intensive so hopefully someone creates some good ones for the Ipod.
Old 03-03-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Hmm, maybe it's the 2nd gen that I have, being more comfortable. I've played a couple of hours of Galcon straight on it no problems. Also, I use it for long commutes but I tend to vary between watching videos and doing something interactive. Puzzle Quest just requires single finger swipes so it's not a problem for me. iDracula makes my hands a bit more tired because you hold it more like a traditional gaming device and use both thumbs.

The 1st and 2nd touch are exactly the same in terms of physical size and design, except that the 2nd gen got volume control and speakers. Personally, i think the display of the 1st is more superior that the 2nd. I think Apple's comment regarding the screen display change to the 2nd was "easier for the eyes" or something like that.

I'm just saying that the touch is fairly small (hell, sexy). It's very tiresome to hold that little thing by the edges... For few minutes, yeah, but the level of frustration increase exponentially when the game requires "skills."

Of course, there's a game for almost anybody on the touch, so chances are there's something you can play masterfully on the touch w/o ever feeling tired (hence enjoyment rather than frustration). I just haven't encounter such game on the touch yet...
Old 03-03-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Autotelik
I'm tempted to try The Quest. Actually, I'm hoping for more games that are similar to the old Dungeons and Dragons games that we used to see on the PC in the late 80s and early 90s (like Pools of Darkness, Pools of Radiance, Eye of the Beholder). I loved playing those, and they're not graphics intensive so hopefully someone creates some good ones for the Ipod.
Orions
Old 03-04-09, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ocelot
The 1st and 2nd touch are exactly the same in terms of physical size and design, except that the 2nd gen got volume control and speakers. Personally, i think the display of the 1st is more superior that the 2nd. I think Apple's comment regarding the screen display change to the 2nd was "easier for the eyes" or something like that.

I'm just saying that the touch is fairly small (hell, sexy). It's very tiresome to hold that little thing by the edges... For few minutes, yeah, but the level of frustration increase exponentially when the game requires "skills."

Of course, there's a game for almost anybody on the touch, so chances are there's something you can play masterfully on the touch w/o ever feeling tired (hence enjoyment rather than frustration). I just haven't encounter such game on the touch yet...
Each to their own I guess. The Gameboy SP is pretty much the only handheld that has given me serious hand cramp. The thing is just too narrow to use with 2 hands. Most of the iPhone games that require 2 hands have you holding it horizontally so for me there is enough space between my hands. Also it's very light so my hands don't get tired.

I haven't actually seen a 1st gen in person, I thought the size had been somewhat reduced but I'll cede to your experience. Screen has been fine for me on the 2nd gen, in fact, it blows away the PSP and DS. You can actually play it in sunlight which is a first for me for a handheld gaming device (probably due to it's mobile phone roots).
Old 03-04-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

7 Cities is 99 cents.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...299605743&mt=8

Last edited by GatorDeb; 03-04-09 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-04-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well worth it. I put at least 10 hours into that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.