Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

iPhone/iPod Touch App Talk

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: iPhone/iPod Touch App Talk

Burnout Crash is really fun and well worth a buck imo.

I also picked up the Act for a dollar and while it is super short it was a cool experience.
Old 07-05-12, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Kingdom Rush is probably my favorite TD game of all time. Love this one!
Old 07-05-12, 01:48 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Birds Seasons is free

iphone
ipad
Old 07-05-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks Mok! has anyone tried out Where's My Perry? It's the Where's my water rip-off from disney, not such if enough has been changed to make it worth my while.
Old 07-05-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't WMW from Disney already? Is it just a Perry the Platypus skin?
Old 07-05-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, Disney owns both so it's not a rip off. It's a spin-off.

I also have no idea how different it is yet.
Old 07-05-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

This is probably beating a dead horse, but the absurd and omnipresent prevalence of in-app purchases in iPhone and iPad games is ruining the platform for me. It's one thing if they want to offer alternative skins or new levels, that would be one thing, but the newer games are made so that it's nearly impossible to advance without IAPs. I have a big problem with that. It's keeping me from buying many iPad games these days.
Old 07-05-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Decker
This is probably beating a dead horse, but the absurd and omnipresent prevalence of in-app purchases in iPhone and iPad games is ruining the platform for me. It's one thing if they want to offer alternative skins or new levels, that would be one thing, but the newer games are made so that it's nearly impossible to advance without IAPs. I have a big problem with that. It's keeping me from buying many iPad games these days.
You are not going to like mobile gaming going forward. The vast majority of income for developers is from IAP. I don't mind it on free games, but have a real problem with it on paid games.
Old 07-05-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I understand that a free or 99-cent app doesn't pay the bills like an expensive console game, but I think the only IAP I've actually paid for was extra levels for The Creeps.
Old 07-05-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
It's a very fine line with In-app purchases. It's one thing if they are asking you to pay for additional content, but I think the problems come in when they make the game into a time sink, or just plain boring in terms of advancement unless you start paying money. It invites a lot of poor game design. I've bought in app purchases for games I really like. I bought extra levels for Where's my Water because I got a lot out of the base game which I received free from you. I bought a cash multiplier for a Mini Motor Racing, which was free and I enjoyed, so I didn't mind spending a buck. But a lot of games I play, I can see are just advancement treadmills where you can pay to advance faster.

That said I highly recommend Kingdom Rush if it's still on sale. I've played a ton of tower defense and it's the best I have played on the ipad by a large margin. My other favorite tower defense game is Defense Grid, but that isn't on the ipad.

Burnout Crash is fun, but I really wish they had more level types. They mix up the objectives some, but each intersection has the same three basic types. Also, I wish they had an explode button instead of it automatically exploding when the meter is full and you touch the screen. Sometimes I wanted to hop to the right spot first.
Old 07-05-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was going to pick up Flight Control HD but the reviews indicate this is happening in this game as well. I'll pass.
Old 07-05-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by davidh777
I understand that a free or 99-cent app doesn't pay the bills like an expensive console game, but I think the only IAP I've actually paid for was extra levels for The Creeps.
I don't mind additional levels as DLC at all. I mind the "purchase the in-game bucks which will make the 5 hour mindless grinding take 15 min."
Old 07-05-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I agree that the basic game should be fully functional as is, with extra levels being pay as you go. I worry that they'll decide IAP is the way to monetize apps, sort of like making people pay for online news content was the answer.
Old 07-05-12, 08:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Same here, although I may end up buying the extra heroes in Kingdom Rush.
Old 07-06-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I started playing Kingdom Rush. what are some secrets to it? do you get stars when replaying levels?
Old 07-06-12, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I started playing Kingdom Rush. what are some secrets to it? do you get stars when replaying levels?
No, but you do get the full 3/1/1 stars even on easy.

The list of achievements will clue you in on a couple of the easter eggish things.
Old 07-06-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn, too many comments about Kingdom Rush. I'm now 99 cents poorer.
Old 07-06-12, 01:29 PM

Damn, too many comments about Kingdom Rush. I'm now 99 cents poorer.
Hopefully you're not like me and also 99% of your free time poorer.

It's not really the marriage that has kept me more silent here, it's Kingdom Rush.
Old 07-06-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You don't get extra stars each time, but you can get another star by getting three stars if you've only gotten two for example. It's hard to pinpoint one single strategy, that is what makes the game good IMO. This game is mostly about crowd control I found some of the best abilities were anything that either held the mobs (roots or rock guy) or sent them back (fully upgraded magic tower). It's definitely a difficult game, and what works on one level may not work at all on another. Don't be afraid to reallocate your stars, you can do it as often as you want.
Old 07-07-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
Hopefully you're not like me and also 99% of your free time poorer.

It's not really the marriage that has kept me more silent here, it's Kingdom Rush.
Spent a large part of my day yesterday playing this. Awesome game but hard. I've been able to finish most levels in two or three tries, but Icewind Pass is kicking my ass repeatedly. Eight or nine spiders sneak through on the very first wave. One time I killed them all, but still got wiped out a few waves later. I don't seem to make enough cash to upgrade my towers fast enough, and I don't seem to be getting any better.

Tiny Tower: I guess I'm done. 161 floors, 20 of each kind of business, 300 residents, 300 dream jobs, no more missions. I could upgrade some of my people, but that seems tedious.

Pocket Planes: I've lost my drive for this game somehow. I made the mistake of buying a Birchcraft that only lands at major airports, which made planning routes more annoying. I closed one of my smaller ports so I could build in a straight line and get to New York. But it doesn't seem that exciting to just add airports and planes. Maybe I just need to take a break and try again later.
Old 07-07-12, 12:53 PM

Spent a large part of my day yesterday playing this. Awesome game but hard. I've been able to finish most levels in two or three tries, but Icewind Pass is kicking my ass repeatedly. Eight or nine spiders sneak through on the very first wave. One time I killed them all, but still got wiped out a few waves later. I don't seem to make enough cash to upgrade my towers fast enough, and I don't seem to be getting any better.
I echo pretty much what msdmoney wrote. It is a bit difficult, and the different abilities and combinations make it a perfect strategy game to me.

I had to try some levels dozens of times to get by them. Sometimes I had to move on to other levels to earn more skill points for upgrades before going back to difficult levels.

And even though I've gone through the game at least five complete times now, between the flash version and the iPad, it's still kicking my butt on this current time through.

I'm not sure if I've yet completed the iron challenge mode on normal difficulty on one of the bonus levels.
Old 07-09-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by msdmoney
You don't get extra stars each time, but you can get another star by getting three stars if you've only gotten two for example. It's hard to pinpoint one single strategy, that is what makes the game good IMO. This game is mostly about crowd control I found some of the best abilities were anything that either held the mobs (roots or rock guy) or sent them back (fully upgraded magic tower). It's definitely a difficult game, and what works on one level may not work at all on another. Don't be afraid to reallocate your stars, you can do it as often as you want.
i'll have to switch around my stars some. i maxed the Wizard Towers because i thought the "slow on hit" would be great but it only lasts like half a second so i'd probably be better off upgrading foot men or rain of fire
Old 07-09-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pocket Planes has sucked me in. I need more bux but I don't want to pay in real money for it.
Old 07-09-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Like Draw Something, Pocket Planes has that fast addiction, but it burns out quick. I went at it fast and hard for probably two weeks, but I burned out this past weekend.
Old 07-09-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

After several tries on the two levels before the last, I had to resort to Youtube for some hints.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.