Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

EGM is near death.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: EGM is near death.

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Yeah I tend to disagree with the lack solid options too. Without 1UP Yours and the old GFW Radio I'm pretty much left with GWJ as my only go to podcast for videogames. I have tried most of the other well known ones at some time or another (some for as much as a year) but none were as consistently good as the aforementioned.
This realization hit me hard this week in trying to find another podcast to replace 1upyours and the GFW/LanParty. In the past year I've lost GFW (by far my favorite), 1upyours, and Game Theory. All I really have left from my favorite gaming podcasts is Gamers with Jobs. Plus I listen to the CAGcast and PCgamer podcast. I would definitely pay for a quality podcast, and I wouldn't mind This Week in Tech style ads.

I've tried tons of other podcasts including Orange Lounge Radio, Sarcastic Gamer, Giant Bombcast (I'm going to retry this one), Drunken Gamer (I can't stand the drunken gamer gimmick), but none of them really engage me like GFW, 1upyours, GWJ, or Game Theory.

Originally Posted by chess
I gave a list earlier, but Drunken Gamers, Idle Thumbs, Giant Bombcast, Gamers with Jobs, Podtoid, Joystiq and Video Game Show are all very close...some better in different ways.
Thanks, I'll try Idle Thumbs, Podtoid and the Video Game Show. I have listened to Joystiq, it's okay, I'll keep it in the rotation for a while and see if it grows on me.
Old 01-16-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Retronauts was really good this week, but I'm an Earthbound fan and was dying for an episode on it. Jeremy laughed a bit at Retronauts suddenly being 1UPs flagship podcast. Shane was on and will be back for one more Retronauts on Valis before moving on to his new gig. I'm glad this one survived as a fan of classic gaming. To be fair to Jeremy and Ray they are really doing a good job of reinvigorating the Retronauts section of 1UP. I even signed up for their twitter feed and it is getting updated pretty frequently. Dragon Quest V on DS is the most recent article.

1UP also had a live 1 hour stream of game night and it looks to be a weekly live video stream. They had a Street Fighter IV tournament and brought back many ex 1UP guys for it, but they had technical problems at the end and we didn't get to see Shane make his comeback and beat Garnett.
Old 01-16-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
but they had technical problems at the end and we didn't get to see Shane make his comeback and beat Garnett.
Conspiracy.
Old 01-17-09, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan Scott's new podcast is up at http://www.geekbox.net/ .

Also, on the former 1up staff podcast front:

robertashley New podcast, episode one, coming along nicely. Should launch this Wednesday. about 1 hour ago from web
and

ShawnElliott One of these weeks I'll make a major announcement pertaining to podcasts. about 7 hours ago from web
Hmmm....
Old 01-18-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This week, the Drunken Gamers had an EGM tribute show, and they interviewed Trickman Terry, Sushi X and Dan Hsu. Good show as always and highly recommended.

http://www.robotpanic.com/?page_id=9
Old 01-19-09, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This just goes to show you that 1UP could have found a way to generate more money for the podcasts and 1UP Show if they had tried. Anthony, Nick and Phil were hardly the most popular of the 1UP Podcasters, but they get 11 grand in donations that quickly.

I would have gladly paid a monthly fee to keep 1UP Show, Retronauts and 1UP Yours going.
Yeah, that $11k is pretty awesome, but right now they've got tons of interest and goodwill going on their side. I think monetizing a podcast long term is a trickier proposition. I like those guys at RebelFM, but I'm definitely not into them enough to pay. There are just too many great free podcasts out there to choose from (though admittedly not video game related). I hope they find a way to sell ads or something.

Geekbox is an interesting show. As a gaming only podcast, it's not the greatest, but if it goes the way of a more pop/geek culture type show that leans heavy on gaming I think it will be really enjoyable. That Fitch cat is a weird one. I must hear more nerdy ramblings from him. That show has a weird mix of personalities, but it worked for me.

Also, to those that dropped the Hotspot, I think it's got really good again. In some ways I like it better now then I did in the past. But I'm a sucker for McShae's enthusiasm about shit.

I'm glad to see Robert Ashley is doing something too. He was great. It would be really sweet if he and Shawn Elliott were doing something together, maybe pull in one other person, ala GWJ.

Last edited by boredsilly; 01-19-09 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-19-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Yeah, that $11k is pretty awesome, but right now they've got tons of interest and goodwill going on their side. I think monetizing a podcast long term is a trickier proposition. I like those guys at RebelFM, but I'm definitely not into them enough to pay.
I understand this, but I think in the case of 1UP they could have come up with a way to monetize things. They had a video podcast, at one point a couple of magazines and exclusive online content. They could have come up with something in addition to the free podcasts that could have tied into the mag subscriptions or something like the IGN insider. The fact 1UP tried nothing is what bugs me.

I don't expect the RebelFM guys to charge. Now that they have the equipment the only expense is their time and bandwith. They can get some minor advertising to pay for that if needed or just keep getting donations.
Old 01-19-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand this, but I think in the case of 1UP they could have come up with a way to monetize things. They had a video podcast, at one point a couple of magazines and exclusive online content. They could have come up with something in addition to the free podcasts that could have tied into the mag subscriptions or something like the IGN insider. The fact 1UP tried nothing is what bugs me.

I don't expect the RebelFM guys to charge. Now that they have the equipment the only expense is their time and bandwith. They can get some minor advertising to pay for that if needed or just keep getting donations.
It wasn't 1UP that didn't try. It was Ziff Davis.
Old 01-19-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-19-09, 04:37 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That was great pinata thanks for posting.
Old 01-19-09, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mok
That was great pinata thanks for posting.
Yea, I enjoyed that video as well.
Old 01-19-09, 10:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That made me laugh. lol
Old 01-19-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see what they did there.

And it was awesome.
Old 01-21-09, 02:21 PM
Mok

The Producers of The 1UP Show form Area 5: Launch new show “CO-OP” Here is the first show.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kI5HSf3SXPc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kI5HSf3SXPc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

http://area5.tv/
Old 10-22-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like there's been another round of layoffs at UGO and at 1UP, according to Twitter.
Old 10-22-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alright, do tell.
Old 10-22-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Alright, do tell.
1up/ugo laid off a bunch of dudes
Old 10-22-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
1up/ugo laid off a bunch of dudes
There were not many people left at 1up. Can't imagine who they could have laid off. Sharkey was already gone as of a few weeks ago.

Edit: Well Ray Barnholt was one of them and that really sucks. Jade and Richard were the others. Ray was on many of the podcasts and was a great voice for retro gaming at 1UP.

Last edited by darkside; 10-22-10 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-23-10, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I asked because I checked my twitter feed and didn't see anything. Of course I don't really follow anyone left at 1UP but I was still curious.
Old 02-21-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Say goodbye to 1up.com, UGO.com and Gamespy.com.
Old 02-21-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

linkage would be nice next time: http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/21/401...-shutting-down
Old 02-21-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Next time they shut down I'll post the link.
Old 02-21-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Old 02-21-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Say goodbye to 1up.com, UGO.com and Gamespy.com.
next time you post news, not next time they shut down, jerky.

i went to 1up.com and saw nothing of the news. is it that hard to post a link?
Old 02-21-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Say goodbye to 1up.com
I did....like 4 years ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.