Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Game Story

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Game Story

So... I recently mentioned in the Are you still buying Xbox One Games? thread that I was putting together a video review series, based on licensed games with original stories. Well, I finished the first episode and I thought you guys might enjoy it. I'd also appreciate any and all feedback.

Episode 1 covers the James Bond title 007: Everything or Nothing.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FSv-D5SpxM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_FSv-D5SpxM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mods, if this is considered spam please just let me know and I'll delete the thread. I was going to post it to the Random Video Thread in Other, but it seemed more suited for this sub-forum.
Old 11-19-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I haven't watched yet, but Whoa! Over 9 minutes? That's a tough pill to swallow on 1. old games, and 2. a lot of people that watch at work.
Old 11-19-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I haven't watched yet, but Whoa! Over 9 minutes? That's a tough pill to swallow on 1. old games, and 2. a lot of people that watch at work.
Indeed. Gotta work on that. The intro is over a minute though, which is getting cut way down for part two...
Old 11-20-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that was pretty well done. You follow the tried and true online video videogame review model, but you don't try to be too snarky (which I'm absolutely tired of). I didn't mind the length, but the intro is too long. It's something I would skip every time.

I'll definitely check out future shows.
Old 11-20-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I think that was pretty well done. You follow the tried and true online video videogame review model, but you don't try to be too snarky (which I'm absolutely tired of). I didn't mind the length, but the intro is too long. It's something I would skip every time.

I'll definitely check out future shows.
Awesome, thank you!

I've cut down the intro for the second episode. It originally ran 1:08 and now it only runs :42.
Old 11-20-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you've got a good idea here, but agree that it is long. It isn't so much that there's too much content, it just takes a long time to get the content out of you.

It really feels like ZP, but twice as slow and twice as long. If you can figure out a way to tighten up the pauses or speed up the recording while maintaining the pitch and inflections of your voice, I think it would help.

Certainly is one of the best independent productions I've ever seen and it isn't at all annoying or pretentious. You don't seem to be trying to be something you're not.

Old 11-20-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
I think you've got a good idea here, but agree that it is long. It isn't so much that there's too much content, it just takes a long time to get the content out of you.
Agreed. With this being the first one I felt like I had to "set up" the format and therefore took longer than I normally would getting to everything. I'll definitely be working on the pacing.

It really feels like ZP, but twice as slow and twice as long. If you can figure out a way to tighten up the pauses or speed up the recording while maintaining the pitch and inflections of your voice, I think it would help.
This is something I was afraid of. Like them or not, there are two "giants" out there doing online game reviews: AVGN and ZP. I knew I could easily avoid AVGN comparisons just by not being angry or physically pooping on anything, but I was definitely worried about coming off sounding like a ZP clone. I wasn't even setting out to sound like that either, but there it is.

I think that doing anything technical to make it sound more like ZP would be a bad idea though, don't you? I like his reviews, don't get me wrong. I just don't want to sound more like them.

Certainly is one of the best independent productions I've ever seen and it isn't at all annoying or pretentious. You don't seem to be trying to be something you're not.

Unfortunately in real life I'm both annoying and pretentious, so it seems like I've failed.
Old 11-20-08, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckd21
Awesome, thank you!

I've cut down the intro for the second episode. It originally ran 1:08 and now it only runs :42.
Still about 30 seconds too long. The full intro was a nice trailer, but your viewers are going to want to get straight to the review of the week/month/day/whatever. You need just enough intro to establish that this is your review, not someone else's, and no more.

An 9 minutes is way too long for the full review. I would say keep it to 5 or 6 minutes. The content you have is good, but there's too much there for this format. Save it for the bonus material section of the DVD.
Old 11-20-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that the production stands up really well against the other stuff out there. It isn't Gametrailers quality, but it isn't that far off. You have one great thing in your favor which is your voice. A lot of youtube reviewers have awful voices for this kind of thing, but you're lucky in that you have a nice speaking voice.

What's the frequency you plan on putting these out? Monthly?

The format of your show demands that you talk about Chronicles of Riddick: Butcher Bay and the xbox Buffy games. DEMANDS I SAY!!!!
Old 11-20-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked it and would like to see more... I actually would be interested in seeing a Goldeneye (N64) review from you.
Old 11-20-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
Still about 30 seconds too long. The full intro was a nice trailer, but your viewers are going to want to get straight to the review of the week/month/day/whatever. You need just enough intro to establish that this is your review, not someone else's, and no more.
Episode 2 is just about done, so I'm going to stick with the 0:42 version intro for that one. But I've been sitting here cutting it down even further while Episode 2 renders, and so Episode 3's intro will only run about 25 seconds. That's about the best I think I can do with it until [delusion]some hardcore fan writes a 12 second opening jingle for me.[/delusion]

Originally Posted by boredsilly
What's the frequency you plan on putting these out? Monthly?

The format of your show demands that you talk about Chronicles of Riddick: Butcher Bay and the xbox Buffy games. DEMANDS I SAY!!!!
The series is going to be of the "they're done when they're done" variety, but I mean, I'm finishing the second one now and have already prepped the third one, so they'll be somewhat frequent. Just depends on what else I have going on at the moment.

Riddick is on tap, as I already own it and it's in my pile of shame. The Buffy games... eh, I'm not so sure about those. Maybe if I can find them cheap somewhere. I'm all about the cheap.
Old 12-05-08, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In case some of you don't wander into the Generic Music Games thread (and really, who could blame you?)... the family and I reviewed POPSTAR GUITAR for the Wii over the Thanksgiving holiday. I thought if you guys enjoyed the Bond review, you might like this one too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gBs6-iXVyDw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gBs6-iXVyDw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 12-05-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What about Knights of the Old Republic?
Old 12-08-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mmconhea
I liked it and would like to see more... I actually would be interested in seeing a Goldeneye (N64) review from you.
I've never played Goldeneye before... that might make for an interesting review. I'm not sure though if I still have my N64 though. Gonna have to rummage through storage. It would be great if it was on Virtual Console or...

Originally Posted by drexl
What about Knights of the Old Republic?
That's a title in my pile of shame that I definitely want to get to...
Old 12-08-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure Goldeneye would qualify since it's based on the movie, right? You want games with licenses that don't follow the movie or show.
Old 12-08-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Chuck: The intro should be 15 seconds long, max.

I had seen the PopStar review before and didn't know it was yours. Good job!
Old 12-08-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
That was a really good review Chuck. I just subscribed to your channel. You're one of the few youtube reviewers that doesnt scream or curse constantly in your vids.
Old 12-08-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm not sure Goldeneye would qualify since it's based on the movie, right? You want games with licenses that don't follow the movie or show.
You're right. It does not qualify. At first I was of the understanding that while based on the movie, it didn't necessarily follow it. But it looks as though aside from a couple of bonus missions, it follows it pretty closely.

Originally Posted by The Bus
I had seen the PopStar review before and didn't know it was yours. Good job!
Originally Posted by mhg83
That was a really good review Chuck. I just subscribed to your channel. You're one of the few youtube reviewers that doesnt scream or curse constantly in your vids.
Thank you guys for the kind words. Yeah, there are too many people out there who are profane and negative just for the sake of being profane and negative. It gets a little tiresome after a while...
Old 12-08-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The quality is good, but the review is just tooooo long.

= J
Old 12-09-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really liked your review too, chuck. The second one with your kids was good too. I look forward to more. I may even buy the Bond game for PS2 since it looks good and unlike some gamers I can enjoy current-gen and last-gen or older games equally.
Old 12-09-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you feel like going old-school, you could look at Goonies II for the NES.
Old 12-12-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a full fledged GAME STORY review, but I took a quick look at WRECKLESS: THE YAKUZA MISSIONS...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qQzA6vOFDE8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qQzA6vOFDE8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 12-12-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I've never played Goldeneye before... that might make for an interesting review. I'm not sure though if I still have my N64 though. Gonna have to rummage through storage. It would be great if it was on Virtual Console or...

That's a title in my pile of shame that I definitely want to get to...
Dude...
Old 12-12-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Dude...

I havent played Goldeneye either
Old 12-15-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, so having never played Goldeneye... really, is it worth it at this point? By all accounts it doesn't hold up, and shooters have evolved by leaps and bounds. Would a Goldeneye virgin really sit down with it and think it was as amazing as people thought it was back then?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.