Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I'm taking my ball and going home! Sony gimps Netflix for 360 users

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
maybe they want more money now that the streaming userbase has increased by multiple millions overnight? I'm assuming their contracts don't pay per view, but a flat rate per movie.
Old 11-19-08, 10:48 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Microsoft wants to get paid for its "exclusive" download content that they shell out money to get so that you buy the game on their system. Now why can't Sony want to get paid for the licensing of their movies being streamed to their competitors product?
No one is stating that Sony shouldn't get money for their product. But what is highly suspicious is that once the ability goes live for all 360 owners that have netflix and a live gold account, only Sony movies are removed from streaming to 360's only. No other studio seems to have any licensing issues.
Old 11-19-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is way sony sucks so bad. There pissed because the lost the console war.... Fuck them this is why I never buy Sony don't care what it is. Fuck you Sony, fuck you right up your ass!
Old 11-19-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by redbill
maybe they want more money now that the streaming userbase has increased by multiple millions overnight? I'm assuming their contracts don't pay per view, but a flat rate per movie.
That is an excellent point and I don't see anything wrong with that. Remember that the more access people have to getting something for next to nothing decreases the chances that those people will go out and fork over dollars at a B&M to buy a hard copy of that same product (in this case movie title). Microsoft could be looking at this as a way to erode the sales of Sony titles in the physical format and Sony might want something in return. Business is business and Microsoft and Sony definitely are not going to hold each other's hand and gently embrace one another.
Old 11-19-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Larry C.
This is way sony sucks so bad. There pissed because the lost the console war.... Fuck them this is why I never buy Sony don't care what it is. Fuck you Sony, fuck you right up your ass!
Do you think that Microsoft might share some of their exclusive download content free with Sony any time soon? Didn't think so.
Old 11-19-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is an excellent point and I don't see anything wrong with that. Remember that the more access people have to getting something for next to nothing decreases the chances that those people will go out and fork over dollars at a B&M to buy a hard copy of that same product (in this case movie title). Microsoft could be looking at this as a way to erode the sales of Sony titles in the physical format and Sony might want something in return. Business is business and Microsoft and Sony definitely are not going to hold each other's hand and gently embrace one another.
Right on. Plus it's not like Microsoft is jumping at the opportunity to include BD into 360s natively or via an attachment. This on-demand HD streaming is another way around the need for people to have an in-home BD player and physical media.
Old 11-19-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Right on. Plus it's not like Microsoft is jumping at the opportunity to include BD into 360s natively or via an attachment. This on-demand HD streaming is another way around the need for people to have an in-home BD player and physical media.
Maybe if Microsoft and Sony could agree to some things I think they could ultimately be mutually beneficial. The inclusion of a Blu-Ray drive in a future version of the X-Box would ultimately benefit X-Box users more than it be a detriment and for doing that Sony could share (license) a majority of their content with X-Box users. OT: You would be out of your mind to think that the X-Box couldn't benefit with a medium that holds far more capacity than the ancient dvd. If they're churning out some kick ass titles now imagine what they could do with far less limitation. Ultimately I see the video game hardware war as business but silly business with too many people holding bitter sentiments towards the other side.
Old 11-19-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vryce
If it is a licensing issue, why do those same movies stream to other devices still?
Because it appears netflix licenses content per device. As their VP said:
...our goal is to have all of our streaming content licensed for all of our partner devices.
The facts are plainly stated but I can see the conspiracy theorists will not be dissuaded.
One final fact: I had netflix this past summer and streamed content to my PC, which is connected to a HDTV. I recall a couple of movies in my cue had messages like 5 days left to watch... so items do slip out of license, regardless of device, just as the netflix VP stated.
Old 11-19-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And another thing... there is no quantifiable tally of "new" users who'll suddenly be watching all this Sony content.

To use Netflix on your 360 you need:

* A Netflix account.
* Internets.

To use Netflix on your PC you need:

* A Netflix account.
* Internets.
Old 11-19-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chuckd21
And another thing... there is no quantifiable tally of "new" users who'll suddenly be watching all this Sony content.

* A Netflix account.
* Internets.

* A Netflix account.
* Internets.
+Xbox live
Old 11-19-08, 11:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckd21

* A Netflix account.
* Internets.

* A Netflix account.
* Internets.
Good catch. But, remember that most, like 99.99% of PC users, don't have their PCs hooked up to their televisions.

I streamed one or two movies to my PC. I'll likely stream hundreds on my TV with this new feature.
Old 11-19-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and every device is registered as a netflix streaming device. so they know when a unique user is using the streaming functionality, and presumedly can tell what type of device it is (PC, Roku, Xbox)...
Old 11-19-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Seems kinda petty. Sony could be exposing lots of customers to their movies via Netflix on the 360 instead of pulling this crap. I can watch it on my PC or Roku box, but not my 360? Lame.
Petty...the word that seems to be defining this console generation. Look at the compatibility issues between music game instruments...

As for Sony on this...it doesn't surprise me. They ape the Wii with the stupid sixaxis, then ditch it when the consumers complained, ditched backwards compat in the new models, Home is a mess - Sony really doesn't know what consumers want and how to give it to them AT ALL in this gen. They tried to be the biggest, baddest, and best, and have yet to deliver anything but the best Blu-Ray player that happens to play games, of which, precious few are must have exclusives. I really can't believe they are botching this THAT bad...and people are still keeping their jobs @ Sony. I want a PS3, but the purchase just keeps getting put off further and further and further for me.
Old 11-19-08, 11:45 AM

Do you think that Microsoft might share some of their exclusive download content free with Sony any time soon? Didn't think so.
You're talking apples and oranges. Netflix is not 'exclusive content', it's Netflix, and films. Netflix is a separate business entity...it's just not the same.
Old 11-19-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
You're talking apples and oranges. Netflix is not 'exclusive content', it's Netflix, and films. Netflix is a separate business entity...it's just not the same.
Offering content owned by other entities (Sony, etc.) for said licensing fee/price. When that base of viewers increases over night with no increase it revenues returned to Sony then I can see why there might be a problem. Especially when the device used to view owned content is their main competitor of their home console. Neither of these two companies are angels in this whole process and you had to believe that this might happen.
Old 11-19-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by Larry C.
Wow, talk about counting chickens before they hatch. PS3 has closed the gap in total consoles sold to 5 million behind 3fixme ( even with the 3fixme's year head start.) and PSN has just as many subscribers as XBL. And let's not talk about Micro$oft's dirty business practice of trying to screw the consumer with inferiorly constructed buggy hardware (which they knew had issues).

This is business and Sony want's to get paid
Old 11-19-08, 12:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
U.S. Hardware sales for October 2008:
1. Wii - 803K
2. DS - 491K
3. Xbox 360 - 371K
4. PSP - 193K
5. PS3 - 190K
6. PS2 - 136K

Doesn't look like PS3 is "closing the gap" to me.

Originally Posted by cruzness
Don't you mean $ony? Or it only "evil" when Microsoft makes money?

Last edited by Groucho; 11-19-08 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seems a console bashing war has begun.

Old 11-19-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
U.S. Hardware sales for October 2008:
1. Wii - 803K
2. DS - 491K
3. Xbox 360 - 371K
4. PSP - 193K
5. PS3 - 190K
6. PS2 - 136K

Doesn't look like PS3 is "closing the gap" to me.

Don't you mean $ony? Or it only "evil" when Microsoft makes money?
No, I think we should call both of them spades and not just one or the other.
Old 11-19-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cruzness
Wow, talk about counting chickens before they hatch. PS3 has closed the gap in total consoles sold to 5 million behind 3fixme ( even with the 3fixme's year head start.) and PSN has just as many subscribers as XBL. And let's not talk about Micro$oft's dirty business practice of trying to screw the consumer with inferiorly constructed buggy hardware (which they knew had issues).

Dude PS3 has fallen behind and still there are no good games. No one would have bought the freakin thing if it wasn't for the built in bluray.
Old 11-19-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh Sony lover. You must be a Democrat!
Old 11-19-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys might want to take this "debate" elsewhere. You're wasting your breath keystrokes and will quickly find yourselves on the path to a forced break from the forums.
Old 11-19-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
3fixme? Ugh.
Old 11-19-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
You guys might want to take this "debate" elsewhere. You're wasting your breath keystrokes and will quickly find yourselves on the path to a forced break from the forums.
I think I'll take your advice and make like Sony and their content and get out of here.
Old 11-19-08, 12:56 PM

Offering content owned by other entities (Sony, etc.) for said licensing fee/price. When that base of viewers increases over night with no increase it revenues returned to Sony then I can see why there might be a problem. Especially when the device used to view owned content is their main competitor of their home console. Neither of these two companies are angels in this whole process and you had to believe that this might happen.
I see your point, but we're talking about something that is a universal format in streaming video. What's next, is Sony going to disable the content on Panasonic TVs? If it were games, it's a different story, because of disc format and programming languages and such...but we're talking a video format that is playable across the spectrum on many devices. Obviously, we don't know the details of Sony owned films contracts for licensing, but I'm assuming it's a standard model that includes per-view based fees. I shouldn't speculate on it, but you get the idea, no?

I guess the whole point to me is that the competition on games is one thing, but the streaming video is a console-less entity, and shouldn't be subject to the games rivalry. It's a different business line...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.