Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for Xbox 360 and PS3

I'm looking forward to picking this up sometime soon
Old 02-12-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm thinking about getting it this weekend. GamePro gave it a 90% and said basically it is what you expect it to be. Wishes a few neglected titles were included (Gunstar Heroes, Earthworm Jim). GamesRadar an 80% with similar pros/cons.

Achievements look to be an easy 1000 as well: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/g.../achievements/
Its on my list now. The producer went on Retronauts to defend the emulation used. He basically said backbone had learned a lot from their earlier games and this one has very polished emulation. Reviews seem to back that up. I like the 9 hidden games idea as well. Get some good non Genesis stuff on there as well. I don't see this as an Xbox 360 purchase though. That D pad flat out sucks. Sucks that the 360 version is 27.99 on Amazon and the PS3 one is full price.

Last edited by darkside; 02-12-09 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there any chance this supports online multiplayer?
Old 02-12-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

picked it up tonight, and the emulation is pretty good. 360 controller works really well on these games. You can save it seems any time, just press select and save game. when the game isnt in 16:9 each game has a unique background/border. Some are kind of ugly.

One game that hast aged well at all is Thunder Blade.

IGN btw gave this game a 9.0

Last edited by maingon; 02-12-09 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only one of these games i have ever played is Altered Beast. I never owned a Genesis. What are the games on this compilation that might hook me?

(the only titles i recognize are Ecco - played the Dreamcast version, Phantasy Star - played PSO on the Dreamcast, and Sonic - name recognition, i have never played).
Old 02-12-09, 08:43 PM
Banned

Comix Zone is a blast and I have become addicted to Flicky.
Old 02-12-09, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux
The only one of these games i have ever played is Altered Beast. I never owned a Genesis. What are the games on this compilation that might hook me?

(the only titles i recognize are Ecco - played the Dreamcast version, Phantasy Star - played PSO on the Dreamcast, and Sonic - name recognition, i have never played).
Comix Zone
Beyond Oasis
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
E-SWAT
Kid Chameleon
Vectorman
Streets of Rage 2
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Shining Force 2
sonic games
Old 02-12-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone remember The Sega Channel? In the mid-90s, Sega had a box that they leased out to cable companies and it was basically "games on Demand"... the lineup changed monthly, but I played most of, if not all of these, on that back then.

I loved that thing. Then they just kind of did away with it after awhile.
Old 02-13-09, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by mcfly
Anyone remember The Sega Channel? In the mid-90s, Sega had a box that they leased out to cable companies and it was basically "games on Demand"... the lineup changed monthly, but I played most of, if not all of these, on that back then.

I loved that thing. Then they just kind of did away with it after awhile.
yeah, it was awesome, I always had tons of friends over playing Road Rash and other games all the time. I remember getting excited and gettin up at 4 or 5 am on the first of the month to see what new games they were putting on there.
Old 02-13-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

Woohoo, all 4 Phantasy Star games before they turned it into a mediocre online venture.
Old 02-13-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 996 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by maingon
yeah, it was awesome, I always had tons of friends over playing Road Rash and other games all the time. I remember getting excited and gettin up at 4 or 5 am on the first of the month to see what new games they were putting on there.

Not to derail the conversation, but it amazes me how ahead of the curve Sega was in terms of technology at times (Sega CD, Sega channel, online play w/Dreamcast, etc...) and just how badly they messed it all up. Oh well.

I am psyched to pick this up however. Obviously there are a few disappointing ommissions from the line up (Sonic CD, Toe Jam & Earl, other Shinobi games, arcade version of Golden Axe), but it does have both Shining Forces and all 4 Phantasy Stars. Glad to hear the emulation is improved. The last Sega comp I had was the Smash Pack for DC and it was terrible. Even though it makes the games easier, the option to save anywhere is really appreciated as well.
Old 02-13-09, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got this game yesterday for my PS3 and it was a lot of fun. My favorites are Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Sonic games, and Shinobi.

To unlock Altered Beast Arcade version you have to score 100,000 points on the first level. Definitely worth unlocking as it puts the Genesis version to shame. I erased my copy on the Wii after I unlocked it. Graphics, sounds, and animations are a sight to behold (in comparison to the Genesis version).

I am dismayed that they did not include Golden Axe arcade version but maybe we'll get lucky and be able to download it.

Does anyone know if X-Box 360 or PS3 will eventually start doing arcade versions of games? Like Final Fight, Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Bad Dudes. All the classics I remembered from my youth that were ported over to consoles but didn't come close. The Ninja Gaiden series is a prime example of being totally different from the arcade, but still fun. XBLA has TMNT arcade version so what are the chances?
Old 02-13-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

XBLA also has Contra and Super C arcade ports. Double Dragon as well.
Old 02-13-09, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pinata242
XBLA also has Contra and Super C arcade ports. Double Dragon as well.
Microsoft needs to hurry up and release a Jasper Elite model so I can pick it up and get these games. Thanks for the information. I thought it was just TMNT but it looks like they are going the arcade route that I like.

Anyone know if Capcom will release something similiar to the Sega title? They have an excellent compilation of games along with their arcade versions (Knights of the Round and Final Fight come to mind).
Old 02-13-09, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Checkmate
I thought it was just TMNT but it looks like they are going the arcade route that I like.
Eh, I don't know if I'd say they're going that route... Those are pretty old games in the XBLA library and there hasn't been much like it lately. Probably due to poor returns. If only you'd been there from the beginning

Here's a list of all the XBLA games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_Arcade_games

Check out the coin-op classics for what you're looking for.

FWIW, Golden Axe Arcade is available. I completely forgot about it. And it probably explains why it isn't on this compilation...
Old 02-13-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Anyone know if Capcom will release something similiar to the Sega title? They have an excellent compilation of games along with their arcade versions (Knights of the Round and Final Fight come to mind).
Last gen Capcom released two volumes of collections i believe. I think they were on ps2 and xbox. And they also had megaman and megaman x collections released
Old 02-13-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked this up for the 360 last night.

I was always a Nintendo child, so my Sega experience was pretty limited. (But I did have both eventually.) I've played a number of the games on here, but there's quite a few I haven't. Should be fun running through the disc, especially since some of the games won't be so quick. Should last quite a while.
Old 02-13-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

I just wish Sega would release their Spider-Man Genesis game, along with the arcade Spider-Man they did. I'm sure the rights would be a big problem.
Old 02-13-09, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really enjoying this. I've run into a minor glitch in Sonic Spinball were I slipped into a section I shouldn't have, but that may not be the fault of the emulation. The only thing that has stood out so far is the awful sound emulation on the arcade version of Altered Beast, but it was still a blast to play. Hate the Genesis port.

Very nice collection with good presentation and plenty of bonuses to get you to try every game on there.
Old 02-14-09, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by superfro
Picked this up for the 360 last night.

I was always a Nintendo child, so my Sega experience was pretty limited. (But I did have both eventually.) I've played a number of the games on here, but there's quite a few I haven't. Should be fun running through the disc, especially since some of the games won't be so quick. Should last quite a while.
Same here, my Genesis experience as a kid was limited to the Sonic Games, Altered Beast, and the Golden Axe series.
Old 02-14-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been playing through and unlocking things and getting trophies and thought this would be an easy one to get all the trophies in. However, they stuck in one bastard one that I won't be able to get. Beat Dr Robotnic's Mean Bean Machine. Even on easy the last level of this is impossible for me to beat. They drop super fast and I've never liked the Puyo Puyo games to begin with. I have yet to even last 2 minutes before losing.

The rest are pretty manageable and thankfully you don't need to beat DRMBM to unlock anything on the disc.
Old 02-14-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

If anyone is still on the fence about this one, frys has it for $25. I bought the ps3 version so I'm not sure about the 360 one but I'm sure its the same price.
Old 02-14-09, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 309 Posts

I am picking this up next week. Can't wait for some classic gaming goodness.
Old 02-14-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 430 Likes on 311 Posts

Where is this available Best buy, Gamestop? The fact that this has all three Streets of Rage Games, means I will buy it once I can find it for the PS3.
Old 02-14-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

picked it up today and I have yet to play it since my wife and daughter are totally hooked on it and have taken over the PS3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.