Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Boy runs away after dad takes away his Call of duty 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chuckd21
man, they found all that evidence and a bag of chips.
A++++ would lol again!!!!!1
Old 11-07-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Either there were worse things happening at home besides Dad taking away the video games, or this kid was just an idiot.
Old 11-10-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Either there were worse things happening at home besides Dad taking away the video games, or this kid was just an idiot.
Amen brother.

If the story we're getting is all there is to it, the parents have no one to blame but themselves. Kids don't just become monsters - they're raised that way. I'm sure the video games were a great babysitter for the kid at some point so the parents encouraged and supported his habbit until it got out of control.
Old 11-10-08, 04:06 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by madcougar
If the story we're getting is all there is to it, the parents have no one to blame but themselves. Kids don't just become monsters - they're raised that way. I'm sure the video games were a great babysitter for the kid at some point so the parents encouraged and supported his habit until it got out of control.
I don't get any of this negative vibe from the stories that I've read. It just appears to be what would be as close to a complete accident as can be. I'm guessing either you don't have kids or you don't remember what it was like to be 15, fighting with your parents about videogames or girls or playing the music too loud or not doing your homework or not getting great grades, etc, etc, etc. The kid was stubborn, ran off and got lost in the woods.
Old 11-10-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They said it looks like he may have fell out of a tree, causing the trauma that led to his death... so he may have just gone out to cool off, climbed a tree, slipped and ended up dead...
Old 11-10-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
They said it looks like he may have fell out of a tree, causing the trauma that led to his death... so he may have just gone out to cool off, climbed a tree, slipped and ended up dead...
Old 11-13-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I tend to agree with that scenario. The kid would've probably gone back home before dark.

I wonder if the parents had an issue with Call of Duty 4 (violence?) or his online gaming in general. Perhaps they could have just limited his time on Xbox and maybe take the game disc away for a week or more. Taking away the console cut him off entirely from his online friends. If he was gaming as much as they say, this may have been the only social interaction he knew.
Old 11-13-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last night my 8 year-old daughter started to bring this story up to me because her friend Trevor whose parents "watch a different news channel than we do" told him about it and he was obviously spreading it around school.

We discussed it and I gave her a different view on it than her friend did because she seemed to be going for the see-what-happens-when-you-take-my-tv-away angle. I told her how I felt really bad for his parents and how they have to live with that for the rest of their lives, but that I wasn't sorry the spoiled brat get in over his head.

She then asked if I ever had my xbox taken away.

"I didn't have an xbox, but I did have my Nintendo taken away."

"Oh yeah, I knew you had a Nintendo back then."

"Back then?! How old do you think I am?"

Old 11-13-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo