Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official PS3 Thread - October 08 edition

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamieson22
It is almost as if there was a smudge on the disc that was causing the problem. I took the disc out twice and wiped it down and it played the part that was previously dropping out fine. The disc looked perfect though. Just seemed like it was being finicky as the disc played fine other than those 2 instances.

Another oddity was I was playing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and it said there was an update for the game. Every time I tried to download it, I got an error. Googled it and someone said to turn off Media Server in the Network settings. Did that and it downloaded fine. Any idea WHY that is?

This PS3 can be frustrating
I have no idea. There was a PSN game recently that I had downloaded 10-12 times, but it wouldn't install. I tried changing my IP address, and then it worked on the first try after that.

BTW, I just remembered that the PS3 decodes everything to PCM and outputs that, so updating receiver firmware probably wouldn't have helped. If it was an issue with a bitstream of DTS-HD MA or TrueHD, that would be more likely to be a receiver firmware issue. I know there were some receivers that needed updates to play DTS-HD MA properly. Without the update, there would occasionally be a loud pop that people dubbed the "DTS Bomb."
Old 12-02-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks like the 2.53 FW is out as of today. Full screen flash videos is cool, I wonder what else they updated?
Old 12-02-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steebo777
Looks like the 2.53 FW is out as of today. Full screen flash videos is cool, I wonder what else they updated?
This update is also supposed to improve flash functionality and maybe increase the number of sites that actually work.

Here's a list that didn't work once we got flash in 2.5, can anybody try them again now? (I would, but I'm at work)

Fancast
NBC
CBS
ABC
Comedy Central
South Park
Old 12-02-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts
PSN question regarding friends lists: Do they let you see what your friends are playing? Looking at my meager friends list on the PS3, I only see how long it has been when they last signed on or nothing at all (if they are online at the same time). I click on their names but it doesn't show what games they are playing for how how to invite them or anything. It just lets you send them a message and that's it. Am I missing or overlooking something?

And I still can't get the notifications box to work. Does anyone's work?
Old 12-02-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
PSN question regarding friends lists: Do they let you see what your friends are playing? Looking at my meager friends list on the PS3, I only see how long it has been when they last signed on or nothing at all (if they are online at the same time). I click on their names but it doesn't show what games they are playing for how how to invite them or anything. It just lets you send them a message and that's it. Am I missing or overlooking something?

And I still can't get the notifications box to work. Does anyone's work?
When a friend is online and playing something, it does list the game under their name.
Old 12-02-08, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
This update is also supposed to improve flash functionality and maybe increase the number of sites that actually work.

Here's a list that didn't work once we got flash in 2.5, can anybody try them again now? (I would, but I'm at work)
Fancast- Doesn't recognize browser.
NBC-Episodes don't work. States that flash player 9 is required.
CBS-Looks like the Watch & Chat works. Clips, too.
ABC- Not even going to try the eps- proprietary software needed to play episodes- only works with select browsers. Video on main page works.
Comedy Central- Video on main page didn't load. "This application is not supported."
South Park- Episodes won't load. "Get Flash player" icon comes up.
Old 12-02-08, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chew

Fancast
NBC
CBS
ABC
Comedy Central
South Park
I can confirm that some functionality of CBS is now working with the new version. Last week I was unable to watch 'How I Met Your Mother' through the PS3. After the update, I can now watch it!

I'm assuming the same goes for the other sites listed, since I was getting the same results when trying other networks' viewers last week....
Old 12-02-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, looks like it's a little better........just a long way to go yet.
Old 12-02-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by awil1026
When a friend is online and playing something, it does list the game under their name.
Weird. Mine is just completely blank and I have never seen a game name.
Old 12-02-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, it lists what my friends are playing online as well as a little balloon quote next to the person that wants it on there.
Old 12-02-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quick question. I just got a DS3 and it doesnt look like theres a USB chord in the box to recharge the damn controller! They dont come with this chord; am I suppose to use the one that came with the system to charge both? Lame...
Old 12-02-08, 02:48 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Weird. Mine is just completely blank and I have never seen a game name.
Either your friends aren't doing anything in a game or the found a way to block what they are doing. I'm not sure if the latter is possible.

Have you gotten the latest updates to your system? I know that the ability to see what they were doing on your friends list was added with a recent system update.
Old 12-02-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Quick question. I just got a DS3 and it doesnt look like theres a USB chord in the box to recharge the damn controller! They dont come with this chord; am I suppose to use the one that came with the system to charge both? Lame...
I believe the cord comes with the actual PS3. IT is lame considering these cords are dirt cheap.
Old 12-02-08, 05:00 PM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...eed&subj=Crave

December 2, 2008 10:00 AM PST

PS3 firmware update enables full-screen flash video

Posted by Matthew Moskovciak

Sony issued firmware upgrade 2.53 for the PlayStation 3 Tuesday, enabling full-screen flash video playback.

Full-screen flash video for the browser might seem like a minor upgrade, but it's been a highly desired feature for those who use their PS3s for online video services like Hulu and YouTube. We also noticed that the new flash upgrade enabled us to select the "480p" option in Hulu, which provides a significantly better image quality, especially on a big-screen HDTV.

The full-screen and 480p options are nice, but we couldn't help but notice that simply watching full-screen Hulu on our laptop looked better. While the resolution looked pretty close between the two screens, motion on the PS3 looked significantly worse, with dropped frames. For comparison, motion was completely fluid and natural on our laptop in full-screen mode--and that was with a wireless connection (the PS3 was wired).

Once we took Hulu out of full-screen mode on the PS3, motion was handled about as well as on the laptop and we were able to manually zoom the screen to get full-screen playback without the motion issues. We're not sure what's holding back flawless full-screen flash video playback in the browser, but given the PS3's powerful processor, we expect more.

YouTube playback wasn't perfect, either. The first two clips we tried would play back audio, but no video. The third clip worked, and we were able to full-screen it and use the "high definition" option as well. Again, the option to go full screen is great, but we really expect full compatibility at this phase. Lastly, when we went to exit the browser and return to the main PS3 interface, the entire system hung up and we had to reboot.

The bottom line is that for the smoothest playback of full-screen flash video content, we still found that manually zooming offered the best experience, although it's a pain to get videos perfectly centered manually. Hopefully Sony offers another update to further improve flash video performance in full-screen mode. If we could get that, the PS3 would be a more viable option for those looking to ditch the cable box and get their programming via free Internet alternatives.
Can't wait for Santa to deliver my PS3!

Chris
Old 12-02-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The new upgrade is a bit better, but not when you compare it to PlayOn. Hulu on the PS3 through PlayOn looks TV broadcast quality. It stutters constantly on the PS3 browser even when I tried it wired instead of wireless. I'm using Hulu enough to pay the $30 for PlayOn.

Also sites like Comedy Central and South Park Studios still don't work so all in all a pretty worthless update at least for things I would want to watch on the browser.
Old 12-02-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'd love better functionality, but $30 is way too high considering the PS3 has native support now. Couple that with Netflix offering current TV shows via streaming on the xbox, and that $30 looks less and less attractive. Not to mention, still no mac version, so I couldn't waste my $30 if I wanted to.
Old 12-02-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'd love better functionality, but $30 is way too high considering the PS3 has native support now. Couple that with Netflix offering current TV shows via streaming on the xbox, and that $30 looks less and less attractive. Not to mention, still no mac version, so I couldn't waste my $30 if I wanted to.
I can definitely see that. It works and it works better than the last version of the browser. Hulu is a huge feature for me and will nearly completely cut out my need to worry about a DVR or having to download shows I missed from questionable sources. It is something I have used so much lately that $30 is worth it for the high playback quality in PlayOn. Plus, I can use the 360 and my old Xbox with XBMC for Hulu as well which is nice.

I agree though that the free support is great and PlayOn really needs to add more features or sites it supports to make the $30 a better value.

BTW, one nice feature I got working well with Playon was watching Hulu on my PSP through remote connect to the PS3.

Last edited by darkside; 12-02-08 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 05:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quick question... will any generic USB hub work on the PS3 (60G model if that's important)?
Old 12-03-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by steebo777
Yep, it lists what my friends are playing online as well as a little balloon quote next to the person that wants it on there.
How do you put those quotes up? I've been looking around but can't figure it out.
Old 12-04-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
How do you put those quotes up? I've been looking around but can't figure it out.
I have no clue, I wonder that myself. It is actually GatorDeb that has it, so maybe she can answer.
Old 12-04-08, 08:28 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I think there is a way on your profile in the PS dashboard to add that in. I have one added on mine as well, but don't recall how I did it at the moment.
Old 12-04-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go to yourself on your friends list, press the triangle button, select "comment," type something in.
Old 12-04-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Go to your friends list and highlight your name. Hit the Triangle button. Select 'Comment,' input what you want and voila! you're good to go.
Old 12-04-08, 10:58 PM

I've set an alarm to go off in 9.5 hours. At that point I will come back and post this:

If I remember correctly, I think you can just go to your friends list. Highlight your own name, push the triangle button. If you choose the Comment line, you can then insert whatever you want to, you know, just type something in, and then bam! There you go.
Old 12-05-08, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody here still own and/or play Eye Of Judgement?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.