Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maxflier
If you pay for a year up front on an MMO they way you do with Live then it is cheaper than $15 a month. Still a lot more than $40/year but just want the comparison to be fair. $15 a month for a good MMO doesn't bother me in the least anyways though.
See i didn't know you got a price break for paying for a year of an MMO. What kind of break are we talking (using WOW as an example)?
Old 10-22-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I checked my account and the longest plan is 6 months for 77.94. You save $2 per month at that rate, so over a year you could save $24 total. Not as significant as the year plan saving for Live.
Old 10-22-08, 12:02 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
This. I refuse to pay for a game I've already paid for.
I could have sworn you had a Gold account on Live.

For me, it's not the monthly fee that turns me off to MMOs. It's the fact that I don't want to deal with 13-year-old mouthbreathers who think that calling someone "gay" is the height of wit and I don't want to compete with 17-year-old nerds who spend 20 hours a day farming for XP and treasure.
Old 10-22-08, 12:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I do have a gold account on live. That account is much cheaper than any MMO that charges you, especially since I buy my time when the cards are on sale and stock up for three years. I got my last three year cards at $30 each. That means I'm paying 8 cents a day for Xbox Live, or $2.50 a month. Live works for every single game with an online component, not just a single game, and if I ever decide to stop using Live, all my games will still work in the single player modes. If one flat fee got me access to every MMO that came out, and I could play MMOs offline, I would reconsider.

Take WoW on the other hand. You pay up front for the game, then pay per month per character you create. Yes, not only are you continually paying for one game, not only are you forced to play online, but you have to pay per character. I don't see how you can even compare the two. One is a blanket access fee, the other is a strip mine of the gaming world.

And yes, I know that a game like WoW offers a lot of gameplay for your money, but I've sunk 250-300 hours into Oblivion, and I didn't have to pay monthly for it.
Old 10-22-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Take WoW on the other hand. You pay up front for the game, then pay per month per character you create. Yes, not only are you continually paying for one game, not only are you forced to play online, but you have to pay per character. I don't see how you can even compare the two. One is a blanket access fee, the other is a strip mine of the gaming world.
I don't know why you assumed that you pay per character, but that's not true at all. That's glaringly incorrect and misinformed.

As far as the time MMO's take, I don't think you need to devote a shit load of time to MMO's to have fun. You can do your own thing and enjoy the game casually without getting into the grind aspect of it. Sure you won't have the best equipment, but no one is forcing you to be so obsessive about it.
Old 10-22-08, 12:45 PM
Banned by request

I assumed you did because of all the people I know who have multiple WoW accounts. Why would you need multiple accounts if you can have as many characters as you like?
Old 10-22-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I assumed you did because of all the people I know who have multiple WoW accounts. Why would you need multiple accounts if you can have as many characters as you like?
You need multiple accounts to play characters simultaneously, but any one account can have 10 characters I believe. I have 6 on one account.

There are probably other reasons to have multiple accounts I'm not aware of.
Old 10-22-08, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMO=no sale. I was looking forward to a new star wars KOTOR style game, but I will have to pass on this one.
Old 10-22-08, 12:56 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
You need multiple accounts to play characters simultaneously, but any one account can have 10 characters I believe. I have 6 on one account.

What do you mean by play characters simultaneously? Are you sitting there with two computers, two keyboards, two mice, and two monitors? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I just don't see how you would play multiple characters in any way other than sequentially.
Old 10-22-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo

Not sure if it changed, but it should be 10 per server, but 50 total characters.

What do you mean by play characters simultaneously? Are you sitting there with two computers, two keyboards, two mice, and two monitors? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I just don't see how you would play multiple characters in any way other than sequentially.
No, they can run two instances of the game on the same computer and switch between windows. It's mostly to allow their higher level characters to run through areas with their lower level characters to help them level faster.
Old 10-22-08, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
You obviously missed this thread

Old 10-23-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm intrigued and excited by the idea of Bioware + Star Wars MMO. If they pull it off, it might just be the game that could pull me away from WoW.
Old 10-23-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
For me, it's not the monthly fee that turns me off to MMOs. It's the fact that I don't want to deal with 13-year-old mouthbreathers who think that calling someone "gay" is the height of wit and I don't want to compete with 17-year-old nerds who spend 20 hours a day farming for XP and treasure.
The 13 year old "mouthbreakers" have infected Live as well. Halo3, CoD4, etc, etc.
Old 10-23-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
See i didn't know you got a price break for paying for a year of an MMO. What kind of break are we talking (using WOW as an example)?

The game I play (Anarchy Online) is $95.40 for a year if you pay for 12 months up front, so $7.95 a month as opposed to the regular $15.
That is the only game I have an open account for but I would imagine most others would have similar pricing structures.
Old 10-25-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm LOLing at all the misconceptions from all the console gamers here.

Bioware + MMO = easily worth checking out the free trial
Old 10-25-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fatman
MMO=no sale. I was looking forward to a new star wars KOTOR style game, but I will have to pass on this one.
Yep. Same reason as given by JasonF.
Old 10-26-08, 12:59 AM

Sadly disappointed. I had hoped beyond hope that we'd get KOTORIII and a continuation of that epic story but alas, no, just another MMO (which seems like a bad idea with another "Star Wars" MMO already out there, won't they cannibalize each other?)

I sure as hell don't have a "gaming" computer so no doubt this game would be out of my league to play anyway but my 360 was begging for KOTORIII. There's a reason fans wanted a third chapter and I don't think BioWare gets it. At all.
Old 06-02-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Nobody seemed to show this yet. I haven't played the other KOTOR games, but this trailer is just great!

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58920
Old 06-02-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Trailer is awesome. Still interested to see where Bioware is going to go with this. Right now it appears it will be a choose your side game, the Republic or the Empire and each side will have 4 classes to choose from. Nothing has been said how PvP will work or if the game will have a player based economy similar to SWG. But I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for this one.
Old 06-03-09, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not really interested in this game (not a fan of MMO's) but that trailer was amazing. Would love to see that kind of Star Wars on the big screen.
Old 06-03-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Not into MMO's myself either... but that trailer is awesome! That's what the 3 prequels should have been!
Old 06-06-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

This really should have been a movie:

Spoiler:
<embed src="http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/themes/swtor/en/assets/mediaPlayerInterior.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="330"flashvars="title=undefined&description=undefined&source=http://cdn-www.swtor.com//sites/all/files/en/vc/return_20110606/Return.flv&fullscreen_source=/&comment_url=/media/trailers/return#comments&download_1=header|Windows Media Video (.wmv),thumb|null,filesize|262M,resolution|1280x720,url|http://cdn-www.swtor.com//sites/all/...ader|Quicktime (.mov),thumb|null,filesize|345M,resolution|1280x720,url|http://cdn-www.swtor.com//sites/all/files/en/vc/return_20110606/TOR_Return_mov.zip&lang=EN&age_gate=0" /></object>

Shame it's an MMO.

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-07-11 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-06-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
This really should have been a movie:

Shame it's an MMO.
Wow... just Wow.... but MMO - blech.

Last edited by Rob V; 06-08-11 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-07-11, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Jennifer Hale's voice work makes me wish this was a movie:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aTl18WplJSw?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-07-11, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome video. I've never played a MMO nor am I a PC gamer, but I'm seriously thinking about picking this one up. That is if it ever releases.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.