Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gears of War 2 Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I haven't really played multiplayer online before with any of my games, but I thought that I would give it a try. I understand that I suck because I haven't done it before, but what is the situation with the weapons? It's like I am bringing a knife to a gunfight. My weapons don't seem to cause hardly any damage, whereas everyone else seem like they only need one shot to kill me. Plus there are mortars being fired, etc. Where do all of these superior weapons come from?
Old 11-08-08, 01:08 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Hmmm... did you make it through on Normal? I'm on hardcore myself and don't recall any issues at all on that section
Yeah I made it through on Normal, I was playing Hardcore but I kept dying. It was weird when I restarted the level I saw the Boomers this time and Reavers. They never appeared on my last play through only the Locust and Mortar team. So it must have been some glitch with spawning.
Old 11-08-08, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Ok, I'm on casual right now in Mt. Kadar (3rd act I think) - how in the world do you get past the corpsers after your centaur breaks? I can take out one, maybe 2, but then I get killed while I wait to reload. I can't back up or move around or anything.

edit. n/m - just wait for them to open up and it's a one hit kill each - and there's actually enough time between them.

Last edited by Tuan Jim; 11-08-08 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-08-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Love the game....but I am BLOWN AWAY by not allowing any gamer to pick exactly the gametype he wants to play in multiplayer. One of the dumbest design decisions I have seen in a bigtime game. I hope it gets patched soon.
Old 11-08-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Love the game....but I am BLOWN AWAY by not allowing any gamer to pick exactly the gametype he wants to play in multiplayer. One of the dumbest design decisions I have seen in a bigtime game. I hope it gets patched soon.
Not played Halo before? That was the exact thing Halo did in both H2 and H3 and it proved to be enormously popular.
Old 11-08-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Not played Halo before? That was the exact thing Halo did in both H2 and H3 and it proved to be enormously popular.
How so?

Both Halo 2 and Halo 3 you have the ability to go to team deathmatch only.

The large majority of online players play team deathmatch. And when warzone doesn't come up, people are quitting and dropping.

A true moronic decision.
Old 11-08-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How so?

Both Halo 2 and Halo 3 you have the ability to go to team deathmatch only.
Perhaps i misunderstood how Gears worked (i only played it last night). I thought you could choose Execution by itself or do a mixed list with Annex/KotH etc.

Am i wrong?
Old 11-08-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Perhaps i misunderstood how Gears worked (i only played it last night). I thought you could choose Execution by itself or do a mixed list with Annex/KotH etc.

Am i wrong?
Unless I absolutely missed it, the best you can do is get to a playlist that has an option of 3 different gametypes, but I don't think all the playlists interact with each other.

Either way, unless I am wrong, you can't solely pick whatever gametype you want. It is a crapshoot vote everytime.
Old 11-08-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unless I absolutely missed it, the best you can do is get to a playlist that has an option of 3 different gametypes, but I don't think all the playlists interact with each other.

Either way, unless I am wrong, you can't solely pick whatever gametype you want. It is a crapshoot vote everytime.
If that is the case then yes, it sucks.

I only played a couple ranked matches with strangers last night and they were all execution. I just assumed our party leader had chosen that list. I'll have to look into it tonight.
Old 11-08-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Played through the first act, then decided to give MP a try. I'm now addicted to Horde, so it will be a while before I get through the SP campaign. I played this morning with a good team, we were on Wave 17 with one enemy left, and when I killed him with the shotgun I got dropped. First problem I've had online so far. Will be playing later tonight as well, probably into the wee hours.
Old 11-08-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If that is the case then yes, it sucks.

I only played a couple ranked matches with strangers last night and they were all execution. I just assumed our party leader had chosen that list. I'll have to look into it tonight.
If you figure it out, let me know. But I am under the impression it is voted on...

Team deathmatch always has the most players...and it is impossible to simply pick warzone.
Old 11-08-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did some research and sadly that is the way it is...

There is a ton of complaining about it and it seems to be the only complaint so far.

A real headscratcher that a bunch of smart people thought that was a great idea.
Old 11-08-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks!

I used to play Warzone a lot with Gears 1, and only play TDM with my friends.
Old 11-08-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
The boards at Epic are going off about the way the online matches are this time. I'm sure they've heard the complaints and I hope they patch it with some DLC soon.
Old 11-08-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
The boards at Epic are going off about the way the online matches are this time. I'm sure they've heard the complaints and I hope they patch it with some DLC soon.
I love the game. I love the changes.

But it blows my mind that the only thing I don't like about the game is a foolish design choice.

I will be shocked if it isn't patched by Christmas.
Old 11-09-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Anyone that wants an easy way to finish Horde mode, pick the Mansion as your map and camp out upstairs. The bulk of the enemies come through the one door downstairs making it easy to pick 'em off one by one.

We changed up maps on levels 1-30 and then wound up on that map at that point. We breezed through the next 19 levels. Only level 50 gave us any trouble. Although, we only played on Normal. Didn't bother with Hardcore yet.
Old 11-09-08, 03:10 AM

I think I am about halfway through act 3 on normal. Loving it so far. Definitly makes me glad I never traded in the xbox for a ps3 (as I once thought of doing following a RROD).

Very few criticisms. One would be that it feels a little too easy. I feel like my AI team mates are running ahead and taking care of enemies before I get a chance to get involved. Maybe I should have gone Hardcore from the start.

I also feel like there are so many "different" levels/settings (eg vehicles/exploration/constant cutscenes and scripted sections) that I don't get much of the intensity of firefights I remember from the first game.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet. I am enjoying the single player so much I think I will finish it first.
Old 11-09-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Anyone that wants an easy way to finish Horde mode, pick the Mansion as your map and camp out upstairs. The bulk of the enemies come through the one door downstairs making it easy to pick 'em off one by one.

We changed up maps on levels 1-30 and then wound up on that map at that point. We breezed through the next 19 levels. Only level 50 gave us any trouble. Although, we only played on Normal. Didn't bother with Hardcore yet.
You can change maps on Horde? How?

When my friend and I were playing it, we couldn't pick difficulty either...we wer ein a party, we'd select Horde, and it'd give us the voting option and stick us with three other people...and that's that.
Old 11-09-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NZ_DVD_Freak
I think I am about halfway through act 3 on normal. Loving it so far. Definitly makes me glad I never traded in the xbox for a ps3 (as I once thought of doing following a RROD).

Very few criticisms. One would be that it feels a little too easy. I feel like my AI team mates are running ahead and taking care of enemies before I get a chance to get involved. Maybe I should have gone Hardcore from the start.

I also feel like there are so many "different" levels/settings (eg vehicles/exploration/constant cutscenes and scripted sections) that I don't get much of the intensity of firefights I remember from the first game.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet. I am enjoying the single player so much I think I will finish it first.

Well I definitely find myself relying a LOT more on my AI team-mates for revival assistance than in the 1st game (did they even support that way at all in the first one)? I'm actually playing on normal - correction from last message - and I do have moments where I get knocked down several times, even in the same fight and I gotta crawl for help - and most of the time, one of them will get me (sometimes they just run right by and let me die ;p).

Get what you're talking about with the intensity bit too - the first game had those great set pieces for extended firefights like the front of that building in the first mission with all the barriers and sandbags set up - or the fountain with grub holes popping up at different locations - here, they seem shorter and bloodier and you don't always have the chance to take advantage of the cover or terrain as much depending on your choice of weapons. I like the destructible barriers though - not sure I've actually been hit because they've fallen apart so much but the fact that you see chunks falling off and staying off or the wooden barriers and sandbags that get pulverized - or blowing up ice stalactites with the centaur (and trees) - very nice touches.
Old 11-09-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
You can change maps on Horde? How?
It has to be a private party and the host can choose the map and difficulty. Otherwise you get the voting option. You can change maps after every time you lose if you want. You score resets back to zero though since you are exiting to the menu.

One more thing that took a few tries to get used to. If you exit to the menu it defaults to the last level you selected in the menu. i.e. You select wave 5 and make it to wave 10 and exit to the menu, if you just start the next match it defaults back to wave 5. You have to manually change it back to wave 10 if you want to pick up where you left off.

After finishing all 50 waves, here is the general consensus in our group:

Excellent: Avalance, Mansion, Tyro Station, Day One, Ruins, Stasis

Solid: Gridlock, River,

Nightmare: Blood Drive, Canals, Hail, Jacinto

Didn't try: Pavilion, Security, Subway

The 'Nightmare' maps were ones we just couldn't find a good place to hole up, especially on higher waves and ended up going down pretty quick.

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Well I definitely find myself relying a LOT more on my AI team-mates for revival assistance than in the 1st game (did they even support that way at all in the first one)?
I think I read they revive you on Casual on the original Gears but not Hardcore or Insane. I could be wrong on that though. I did replay all but the last Act of Gears 1 on Insane this week and I can vouch for them not reviving on Insane.
Old 11-09-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been playing hardcore. Pretty easy so far. I haven't needed to be revived yet. I sure hope the difficulty ratchets up as the game progresses.

Graphics are about the same as before but I have noticed they have added some extra detail which is nice. You can turn the blood and harsh language off. I haven't tried multi-player yet.
Old 11-09-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I beat it today on Hardcore. Great game.

Make sure you keep watching until after the credits. There is something that makes the story more...interesting.
Old 11-09-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well just beat it on normal so spoilers away....

Spoiler:
Well, that's not quite Halo 2 for an irritating cliff-hanger ending, but it's pretty darn close with all the unanswered questions. The bit at the very end of the credits set it up even more. I know I didn't find all the collectibles - and they do paint an interesting, more detailed picture, but it nearly isn't enough. The one I have with a photo on it - Stephanie from the lab - seems as though it could potentially be the Queen!?!

Either way, I didn't get it from the first game, but this one has a definite Jeff Long feel - in a good and disturbing way - see "Descent" and "Deeper". Started getting it as soon as we heard about them taking captives - and especially when we saw Tai. The results of what happened to Maria really reinforce it and the whole inner-battle, underground city and the "human"-looking Queen are like icing on the cake.

Now this is the kind of game that needs an accompanying TPB or graphic novel to iron out the plot wrinkles, but apparently they like keeping folks in the dark - least till the end.

I've got one possible idea. But it probably doesn't fit time-frame. The locust are 100% the result of genetic experiments in the lab that we explored. They were "released in the wild" by Niles at Mt. Karada and Stephanie is apparently their queen. Since we don't know the timeframe for the lab abandonment or anything else, it seems plausible enough. There weren't any locust attacks before the pendulum wars because they weren't around before then. The city that they inhabit was pre-locust - maybe Marcus' dad discovered it on some expedition. Still not sure about the "disobeying order to save dad" storyline that ended where the first game started since we've only seen a few references to it that I can tell. When they take prisoners, they can also convert them (a la Fallout super mutants) or use them for breeding stock (see also Jeff Long).

No real non-circumstantial supporting evidence though - anyone have a better source of info, feel free to post it.

The visuals in the first game were great, but some of the environments here really took my breath away - even more so than the first time I played Halo on launch day and looked up in the sky at the ring.

Spoiler:
Coming down into the cavern and looking into the distance and actually seeing the clouds and underground weather systems - freaking phenomenal.

They also did a pretty good job with the giant worm - I've downloaded all the promo vids on xbl and I don't think I saw even a hint of that level anywhere - total surprise -- and seeing those giant creatures move across the background was great too.

Guess that's about it for now. Gotta go test horde before I start the story again on hard core. See if I can find the rest of the collectibles.
Old 11-10-08, 09:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I haven't finished the campaign yet, but I'm having a blast. My only complaint is that there seems to be a lot of places where you just run around with nothing to shoot.
Old 11-10-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm loving the campaign so much! It feels a lot better than the first one, and I liked the first too. It feels like being in a movie. An 80's action movie. All over the top.

What about Cole's entrance? He was such a badass!
I was expecting to like the game a lot, but I'm loving it even more.
The AI is better. Dom is not acting dumb anymore.
Graphics a little bit better.
Sound a little bit better too.
Dialogue much better. They listened to what fans liked in the first game.

It's going to be a short game, in campaign, but that's fine for me.

And oh yeah, the story doesn't makes too much sense, but what can you expect from an 80's action movie?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.