Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo looking to release HD console before 2011

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
I have had a Wii since lauch day and it sees little to no action. If Animal Crossing: City Folks doesn't peak my attention, nothing will. Nintendo just keeps rehashing the same old crap of bull for each console it comes out with.

Like the poster said earlier, all the games will be Mario, Zela, Mario Kart, Anmal Crossing, Mario Party, Mario Baseball all with an HD on the end of the title.

Don't get me wrong, I have always been a Nintendo fan but enough is enough with the same old titles, different console bs.
Old 10-02-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They ought to call it the Nintendo AD-HD. First you'll love it, then you'll never play it again!
Old 10-02-08, 12:44 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do the Wii Sports Fitness test daily and I usually spend a little more over an hour using the Wii Fit. Only other games I have are Wii Play and Mario Kart, those I usually only play when my nephew is around. I just ordered Metroid used on Amazon - Metroid was my favorite NES & SNES game, I skipped the Game Cube all together, maybe I'll get the Game Cube Metroid games one of these days, I just don't play games very much, and I'll probably get Mario & Zelda as well. I also downloaded a bunch of old games, would download more if there was more space. I'm going to get Rock Band for the Wii as well.

I may get a PS3 but that will mostly be fore Blu-Ray, If I get a PS3 I'll get Rock Band for it, but doubt there are any other games I'd get, I just don't have the paitence for games like Grand Theft Auto.
Old 10-02-08, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
The real sad part is that I have, metroid, Zelda, Mario Galaxy, paper mario(s), all sitting waiting to be played.
I am in the same boat, sans Metroid.
Old 10-02-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
But, but, but, it's nooot about the graaaaaphiiiics...

Nope, sorry Nintendo. I fell for the hype once but not a second time. I mean I may still buy the new Wii, but only after I really see that the system will be something I'll enjoy.

I don't need another $250+ paperweight.
Old 10-02-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
There is a new Punch-Out game coming out. I may pick that up but I've found that most of the remakes of my youth "classics" are bunk.

There is probably only one way I'd purchase the HD version of the Wii and that's if they make a killer Star Wars game that takes advantage of motion controls for the saber --- a Star Wars: Force Unleashed is a prime example of a game that would work and (sadly) convince me to buy the system.
Old 10-02-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I still haven't played Mario, finished Zelda, finished Rayman RR, unlocked everything in Mario Kart or Brawl, etc. We still haven't bought RE4 or Metroid either.

My buddy and I are busy cracking out on Soul Calibur IV

There's plenty of Wii gaming for folks that don't put in hours upon hours every week.

The only people that are griping are those that blow through a game every few days or weeks...and want to know what's next. Nintendo is never going to be able to keep you happy.

You know how many 360 games I've finished since I got it in Feb 2007? 2. Gears and DMC4. Maybe you can count Soul Calibur since I've finished the the main Tower mode.
Yeah, I agree with you. A lot of people had similar complaints about the Gamecube, only not to this extent, and I was always happy with that machine.

Like you mentioned some of the guys around here put in a shit load of playing time. I don't see how they do it. I enjoy playing games, but get bored rather quickly, which is why I don't play all that much. On my 360 I've only really put considerable time into Crackdown, Gears, Pac Man:CE, Puzzle Fighter, TMNT, Portal, and the Geometry Wars games. And by considerable time I mean I beat them -- with most of these games being pretty damn short. There are a few more I want to get around to eventually, but I'm waiting for the price to get to that sub $30 sweet spot.

So looking at the games on Wii, I would be content with the amount of stuff on it. I only want to play about 7-10 games on it, but that would keep me busy for a good while. Which makes sense since I'm pretty casual about playing games these days, which is the demo for the Wii. I'll get one when it's around $150.
Old 10-02-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
Like you mentioned some of the guys around here put in a shit load of playing time. I don't see how they do it. I enjoy playing games, but get bored rather quickly, which is why I don't play all that much.
Very fitting user name then.
Old 10-02-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I try.
Old 10-02-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But, but, but, it's nooot about the graaaaaphiiiics...

Nope, sorry Nintendo. I fell for the hype once but not a second time. I mean I may still buy the new Wii, but only after I really see that the system will be something I'll enjoy.

I don't need another $250+ paperweight.
Exactly what games are you playing instead?
Old 10-02-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
People are so hostile towards Nintendo on this board. I love my 360, but damn people, the Wii didn't rape your mother.
Old 10-02-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
People are so hostile towards Nintendo on this board. I love my 360, but damn people, the Wii didn't rape your mother.
Old 10-02-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I heard the Wii is the new Lucas... it not only rapes childhoods but mothers too!
Old 10-02-08, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of mothers, my mom (76) and her first husband (81) play the Wii 3 or 4 days a week. They of course are using Wii Fit quite a lot. They actually have 2 Wii's, one for the living room and one for outside. It was easier than moving it back and forth!

Chris
Old 10-02-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I openly hate Nintendo, but only because they force me to. I have 16 games for the Wii (and the Wii of course) that my 3 kids don't even want to play.

I had to buy a (another) DS Lite because 6 months after I bought the regular DS, the DS LIte came out and all of the accessories, including the stylus, don't fit/work on the original. My oldest son had the original, my middle son got a Lite. As we went to buy accessories for them, there was only stuff for the lite. My oldest son was jacked, so we ended up getting him one too.

Some bad decisions from Nintendo (IMO of course):

Playstation releases, N64 stays with the cardtridge instead of a CD, and that controller is ass.

Playstation 2 & Xbox release, Gamecube goes with a mini-CD instead of full size with DVD capabilities...as DVD starts to boom...and the controller was ass.

PS3 & 360 release, Wii not only doesn't support DVD (still), but as HD booms, they opt for SD graphics and no hard drive to speak of...BUT WAIT, YOU CAN WIGGLE YOUR CONTROLLER AROUND!!! GREAT FOR THE ELDERLY & INFANTS!!! EXERCISE YOUR FAT ASS WHILE YOU PLAY VIDEO GAMES!!! ...and the controller is ass.

Nintendo DS...no wait, Nintendo DS LITE!!!...no wait, Nintendo DS-i SUPER-DUPER ULTRA LITE, WITH GINSENG!!!

The Nintendo "WiiFinallyDecidedToDoWhatWiiShould'veDoneInTheFirstPlace"?? Say it isn't so!! A Wii in HD, with an HD, that may play DVD???

I had enough of Nintendo's shit.

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 10-02-08 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-02-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I[rant clipped...]
Nintendo DS...no wait, Nintendo DS LITE!!!...no wait, Nintendo DS-i SUPER-DUPER ULTRA LITE, WITH GINSENG!!!

I had enough of Nintendo's shit.
Stuff changes. Geez. Did Nintendo rape your child's childhood? Is that that story now?

My wife has my fat DS, it still plays games fine. OMG she can't use the Dragon Quest stylus I just bought. Big whoopee.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 10-02-08 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-02-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
But I wouldn't be ranting if I didn't have my DQ junk. The original DS plays games just fine. I don't see the issue.
Telling your 8 year old that he can't put his stylus in the slot, "just keep it somewhere", and "yeah, your brother has this cool armor case for his, but you can't have one", and "hey that's a cool Mario lunchbox DSLite carrying case for your system & accessories but you can't have one" is different than your wife using yours.

For the PS2-slim, they didn't discontinue the controller for the PS2 and make new ones for the slim that wouldn't work on the regular PS2.
Old 10-02-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who's buying all those Wiis if everybody here hates Nintendo?
Old 10-02-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
But dvdsteve, Nintendo's ploy worked, you bought your son a new DS. They're laughing all the way to the bank, especially if they were making money on the Wii console itself from early on.

Also, note that the only other portable system, the PSP, did much the same thing as the DS in regards to making a "lite" system, and apparently is set to do another upgrade. You'd complain a lot more if they did a real revision, like the GBC, which had games that a regular Gameboy couldn't play.

edited to add: and I see you've already posted on the DSi thread...

Last edited by fujishig; 10-02-08 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-02-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
But dvdsteve, Nintendo's ploy worked, you bought your son a new DS. They're laughing all the way to the bank, especially if they were making money on the Wii console itself from early on.

Also, note that the only other portable system, the PSP, did much the same thing as the DS in regards to making a "lite" system, and apparently is set to do another upgrade. You'd complain a lot more if they did a real revision, like the GBC, which had games that a regular Gameboy couldn't play.
Sure, they got my money, but they lost a future customer, thanks to the DS & the Wii.

I knew better than to get into the PSP, so I have no gripe with Sony. I bought a PS3 to use as a BR player, and that's what it does.
Old 10-02-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just saying this happens with a lot of things, especially portables. The DS, the PSP, cell phones, iPods, they all have new versions that come out, and then the accessories for the old versions dry up.
Old 10-02-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I accept that, and I expect that, to an extent. When the stylus doesn't fit in the thing anymore, that's huge to me. This was my first experience with any handhelds, and it left a bad enough taste in my mouth that I won't go back. I have a 30gb ipod from last gen, and it didn't bother me at all when I saw the new ones, and I actually will buy a Touch because it brings something new to the table. As for cell phones, they change daily...acceptable. Mine takes pics, surfs the web, plays music, etc..., that's all I need. I had no anger or remorse upgrading from a standard 'call only' phone to what I have now, because of the changes. To not be able to use accessories because of a case redesign is ass, especially when the original DS wasn't that old to begin with. If the Lite added some new features, I could justify it, Hell, I would've been happy with the repurchase.
Old 10-02-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only actual feature it added was more and better lighting that the DS Phat didn't have. It, as you are aware only has light on or off. The light has off and I think 3 levels of brightness on the backlight.
Old 10-02-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

btw, you can still buy the old stylus directly from nintendo:
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs...encyPreference
Old 10-02-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I openly hate Nintendo, but only because they force me to. I have 16 games for the Wii (and the Wii of course) that my 3 kids don't even want to play.
Your complaints seem like those of a person who's just buying the wrong products. Is it Nintendo's fault that your kids don't want to play those games anymore? Maybe your kids just grew tired of them or they want a different kind of experience with games? Either way that seems like something you would have noticed before buying 16 titles (unless you bought a lot of them at the same time). I can understand your frustration with owning something but not getting what you want out of it, but it seems like you're misplacing your anger a bit here.

Playstation 2 & Xbox release, Gamecube goes with a mini-CD instead of full size with DVD capabilities...as DVD starts to boom...and the controller was ass.
I'm curious, in what way did the Gamecube's use of mini-CD effect you and your gaming experience? What's your argument here? The N64 use of cartridges did effect the price of some games, but the mini-cds of the Gamecube delivered the same exact (if not better) experiences of their dvd counter parts . Yes, the Gamecube didn't have a dvd player, but there was nothing written in stone that said it needed one either. I was buying a game machine, not a game machine that could do X, Y, and Z.

You say you didn't like either the N64 or Gamecube controllers, which is totally fair to say. Preference and all that jazz, but I found both of them to be really great for the games on those systems.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.