Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Guitar Hero World Tour - the one & only thread.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero World Tour - the one & only thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guitar Hero: World Tour Deluxe Edition

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198666...dlines;title;2

For months, Guitar Hero: World Tour has been at the top of many gamers' shopping lists. When it was revealed in May, the game leapfrogged its rival rhythm franchise, Rock Band, by introducing song composition and sharing, as well as out-of-the-box cymbal controllers with its drum set.

The Guitar Hero: World Tour DE.

Today, Activision-owned RedOctane priced the "deluxe version" at $239.99 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 editions of the game, with the PlayStation 2 and Wii DE iterations ringing up at a moderately less pricey $219.99. This edition of the game includes the game software, a USB microphone, 5-pad drum kit with kick pedal, guitar and drum wireless receivers, two drumsticks, a Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar faceplate, sticker pack, guitar strap, T-Shirt (XL only), dual recharge kit, dual "gig bag," and Guitar Hero keychain.

Given that the regular edition of the game costs just $189.99, the obvious question raised is--what exactly does the extra $50 buy? According to an Activision rep, not much. When asked what the difference was between the $239.99 edition of World Tour and the $189.99 standard-issue, reps for RedOctane directed GameSpot to the Bestbuy.com product page, which lists only the game, faceplate, guitar, drum kit, and microphone as being in the bundle.

RedOctane.com lists Guitar Hero: World Tour as being also available in a deluxe guitar-only bundle for $109.99 for PS3, 360, and Wii, with a PS2 variant costing $99.99. Ironically, the respective regular editions of the guitar-only bundle--which include the faceplate, sticker pack and guitar strap, ring up at just $99.99 and $89.99. By that metric, the Deluxe Edition of the game is charging customers $40 for the recharge kit, gig bag, T-shirt, and keychain.
Old 10-07-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the heck is a recharge kit?
Old 10-07-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cartman
Unless that pedal is metal, it's gonna snap...
Unless you take a hammer to it and smash it right between the hinge and the first pressure point I doubt it.
Old 10-07-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleGramps
What the heck is a recharge kit?
It's like the 360 quick charge kit, a proprietary battery/charger that only works with Guitar Hero peripherals. They sold them for the Les Paul, but probably wasn't worth the investment. With the GH:WT guitar & drums being wireless, plus a second guitar, it may be worth it.
Old 10-07-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Standard edition for me. I just use rechargeable batteries for all of my controllers. Works great.
Old 10-07-08, 01:47 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Cancelled my Amazon order, and put an order in at Toysrus.com with their 20% off coupon: 922600
Item: 4893839
Description: Guitar Hero: World Tour Band Bundle for Sony PS3
Quantity: 1 @ $151.99
Shipping Method: Standard Ground Shipping
RELEASE DATE: Buy now for shipping by 2008-10-26
Tax and shipping almost kill the deal, but still worth it to save close to $20.
Old 10-07-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kelkee
Unless you take a hammer to it and smash it right between the hinge and the first pressure point I doubt it.
Thought the same thing about the pedal for the original Rock Band kit but I was wrong there too. My original snapped as did my brother's.
Old 10-07-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shumway
Thought the same thing about the pedal for the original Rock Band kit but I was wrong there too. My original snapped as did my brother's.
Supposed to be a harder plastic. The only problem I have heard about is it slipping on the floor too much. The dual pressure points should be sturdier but I expect there will be people breaking them, complaints will be posted and the WT bashing to begin shortly afterward.

You dont have to stomp the everlovin' mess out of it to register a hit.

Understand people get carried away or abuse them. As long as they have a way to fix it in a timely manner I dont get all the beef about it.
Old 10-07-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it depends on how their RMA process runs this time around. I've heard not good stories about RMAs for the Les Pauls, etc. The real problem is just songs that require near constant double and triple kicks. Neither of us are stompers but I am pretty certain that the pedal will at least be stronger than the initial RB pedal.
Old 10-07-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Stronger than RB1 pedal, not as strong as RB2 pedal. Biggest problem by far is the thing sliding all over the place.
Old 10-08-08, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Community Countdown Day 8: Ozzy Osbourne!

Community Countdown Day 8: Ozzy Osbourne! - A true legend of rock will be joining us all on Guitar Hero World Tour, Ozzy Osbourne! Not only will you get to play Ozzy's "Crazy Train," and "Mr Crowley," but you also get to use him as a playable character, or rock alongside him on stage. Add in OZZFest as a playble venue, and you've got one heck of a good time.
Well 17 days to go. If they are going to tell us about each "new" artist included that will wipe out another week at least. Yawn.
Old 10-08-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just hope that this game stays like the previous GH games and doesn't stray that far into how RB is. I like RB, and like that the game play is differant than GH, in terms of how you unlock the songs and stuff in career mode.

But since I mostly just do single player guitar, I like how GH handles that. I like that after a song you can look at the stats and see how many notes you missed, etc. etc. I like when you get 100% on a song you get the gold stars and then can track that. I just hope that having the extra instruments in the new game that that doesn't take that part of the game away.
Old 10-08-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree. They both need to keep their own identities.

Originally Posted by Kelkee
Well 17 days to go. If they are going to tell us about each "new" artist included that will wipe out another week at least. Yawn.
Told ya. Looks like 25 days of re-announcing things we already know about.
Old 10-08-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where is the hype and media blitz like they did with GH:3?

17 days left and the only ads I have seen are the ones running on the wall o' TVs in Targets and WalMarts.
Old 10-08-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's pretty funny. I could easily point out a bunch of things that I haven't seen mentioned...I wonder if whoever is writing that stuff has even played the game? I would guess not and they are just poring over the marketing materials, heh.

Did you know that vocalists can perform during instrumental songs (unlike in RB/RB2) and are actually encouraged to sing and talk to the crowd? It's kind of funny. Also you get points for 'improvising' vocals that are in key with the song during certain sections.

Also on drums there are these 'fill zones' with wavy lines where you can play whatever you want without breaking combo, which you get some points for. Which leads to people (me) playing crazy drum solos throughout all kinds of inappropriate places in songs to get a few extra points.
Old 10-08-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
My one friend will go nuts when he finds out about the drum thing. I think his favorite part of RB is just wailing away in the little freestyle sections.

I like what you said about the vocalist parts, too. It's nice to hear a sensible answer to instrumental songs - actually make it fun for the vocalist, instead of throwing them out of the band temporarily.
Old 10-08-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts
I gotta say, I'm getting really excited for this. I hope I can convince my wife to let me get the whole setup.
Old 10-09-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seriously...you're an adult. You can make decisions without permission from your wife.

Sorry, no offense meant, but that is my #1 pet peeve...people who think their spouse has to "let them" do something. Ugh...both people have equal say in marriage.
Old 10-09-08, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, joint accounts, future finacial planning and supporting your kids is really ridiculous. Tell your wife she's eating beans this month and turn the guitar hero up really loud so she can't sleep at night. That'll teach her.
Old 10-09-08, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by freshticles
Yeah, joint accounts, future finacial planning and supporting your kids is really ridiculous. Tell your wife she's eating beans this month and turn the guitar hero up really loud so she can't sleep at night. That'll teach her.

Absolutely. 200+$ is a hefty chunk of change to drop on a total luxury and time waster for most people. I know i would not buy something like that without a good bit of house discussion.
Old 10-09-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree, $200 warrants a discussion and not an impulse buy, but I also have to agree with abrg, the way it is phrased makes it seem like kefrank is totally pussy-whipped (no offense kefrank).

Just sell some other games, books, DVDs and whatnot to offset the cost a little, that way you won't be talking about a $200 purchase. Pick up an extra shift at work if you get paid hourly. I've sold about $500 worth of crap in the past couple months for the gaming season. I'm actually putting that towards new carpet though, for her, and once she has something she wants, a few game purchases look paltry in comparison.
Old 10-09-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
^^ Agreed. I sold a bunch of total ass games to Gamestop using their trade-in deals and now have $125 in credit towards GH IV. Two more are being sold on Ebay and it'll only cost me $35 after taxes
Old 10-09-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Personally I want to wait and see how the GH drums are handled by Rock Band 2. If it switches the colors and makes them usable then i may look into getting the full bundle at some point.

As for the wife letting comment - i just always assume it is an off-the-cuff humorous comment i often hear when guys are chatting. If there was something i genuinely wanted i would just buy it and my wife would understand. However if it is something i was on the fence about or was a mere impulse (like me and an iTouch or a Wii) then if she wasn't too keen on the idea i would scuttle the whole impulse. Then when talking with friends i could see couching in language like "She didn't let me."

Recognizing that wasn't the real situation i think it is just kind of an agreed joke among guys. It is also probably a little institutionalized sexism.

Either way, that is the context of my comment, i saw it as just being a joke. If however someone actually has a wife giving them an allowance and controlling all their purchases then it is a pretty pathetic situation. Unless that wife had huge amounts of money. I could see having a sugar momma that keeps me as a kept man.

edit: What trade-in deals are you seeing btw? I have considered trading some stuff into the new Game Rush/Game Crazy (whatever Hollywood Video has) that recently opened up in my area.
Old 10-09-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I never trade because it is rarely worth it but I think Gamestop is giving a 30% bonus if you put the credit towards GH:WT.
Old 10-09-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but sometimes is not about the money. If you are going to buy the whole set, where are you going to put all that stuff? (yeah, the drum set). What about the noise? etc. Specially if you already have some guitars (videogame guitars ), wheels, arcade sticks, etc. laying around the house. You have to "ask" your wife for permission.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.