Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Guitar Hero World Tour - the one & only thread.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero World Tour - the one & only thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelkee
Its just completely bonkers now. You can't even sing "Happy Birthday" in public anymore.
Not unless you want to receive a $2500 fine from the estate of Mildred and Patti Hill...
Old 10-01-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Not unless you want to receive a $2500 fine from the estate of Mildred and Patti Hill...
Thats fine then. I hope an entire generation goes by without anyone infringing upon their "rights" by singing this song aloud illegally and it gets shoved into a dark corner of music history never to be sung or heard from again.
Old 10-01-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

IMO the music editor is pretty damn fun even if you don't record/upload anything. We did a 10 minute long post-sludge jam that culminated with a wicked guitar solo when I figured out how to make pick slides and some other crazy sounds. Then I recorded a drum part using the guitar controller while someone else played bass...and then I went over and played through the chart on the real drum kit.

I don't know if you would really be able to "exactly" emulate that many songs anyway, (though I didn't try the 'chromatic scale') you can't change key or scale mid-song as far as I know, and you only get 3 minutes. I think there will be a lot of things that sound 'like' known songs or parts of known songs, but are ambiguous enough to not have to be taken down. I know it's pretty easy to make endless streams of what sounds like AC/DC without actually being any particular song by them, LOL.

I think there will be people who make charts that are fun to play, which is what really matters. You can also make total insanity if you want.
Old 10-01-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds good.

If you can get more in the drums and guitar and such, I would appreciate it.

Or any thing you do and don't like in comparison to RB.
Old 10-03-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't mean this to be a debate, but I'm using the comparison as a starting point.

How is Activision, et al going to combat EA and HMX in the DLC category? RB has been kicking serious ass lately and they show no signs of slowing down as we come up to the end of the year.

I haven't heard anything new with regards to how GH:WT is going to offer DLC. I think it's time we were given answers.

How frequently?

Packs only or individuals?

Price?

Right now I can only assume they're going to continue the groundwork laid by GH2/3 and I'm not digging it. In fact, it's really to the point that I'm thinking of skipping a GH purchase altogether - not because I'm a RB loyalist, but because they have an established platform that is frequently updated for reasonable prices with loads of library customization options.

I have intentionally not purchased Love Spreads by The Stone Roses on RB because of it's inclusion on the GH disc, but I really feel that RB will be my go-to game for parties anyway and that's a song I don't want to swap discs for.

They really need to put some of this to rest, assuming there's anything new to be said, because I don't mind two separate libraries if I know they're each going to grow their own ways and steadily.

Is anybody else starting to feel iffy on this title as we approach release?
Old 10-03-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that Harmonix is really kicking ass on the DLC front recently, to the point where my interest in GH:WT is waning. I'll probably still get it since it has enough good exclusive tracks, but RB2 is certainly stealing a lot of its thunder lately.
Old 10-03-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope. Not iffy at all.

RB has well over year head start in DLC songs and will have 500 or so by the end of the year.

I suspect that the GH3 DLC content has been sacrificed to focus on WT DLC. There is no reason to continue to invest time in GH3 it at this point.

I think this is the final reveal for them. There are very little screens so far of DLC or content or how the online mechanic works at all in WT. So either they are hiding it, its not finished, or it sucks.
Old 10-03-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I agree that Harmonix is really kicking ass on the DLC front recently, to the point where my interest in GH:WT is waning. I'll probably still get it since it has enough good exclusive tracks, but RB2 is certainly stealing a lot of its thunder lately.
Hypothetically speaking... What if some of those exclusive tracks are no longer exclusive come 10/26? I still believe the free 20 DLC that HMX is offering was something they complied once the final GH:WT setlist was announced and it's going to contain a good number of "duplicates".

Or it'll just be more HMX bands.

I do think there is plenty of time for HMX to cut a bit into those tracks, should they want to.
Old 10-03-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think this is the final reveal for them. There are very little screens so far of DLC or content or how the online mechanic works at all in WT. So either they are hiding it, its not finished, or it sucks.
I hope you're right that there is a "reveal" coming. Because my take on it is there's nothing new to say. We already know what to expect... If that's the case, it's a major disappointment and I might not even bother beyond rental/borrowing.
Old 10-03-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After Metallica being a pack only, I lowered any expectations I had for this release. If things are different, I will be surprised and excited.

Either way, I am still getting the big bundle. These instruments (based on history) are much better than RB.
Old 10-03-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I don't mean this to be a debate, but I'm using the comparison as a starting point.

How is Activision, et al going to combat EA and HMX in the DLC category? RB has been kicking serious ass lately and they show no signs of slowing down as we come up to the end of the year.

I haven't heard anything new with regards to how GH:WT is going to offer DLC. I think it's time we were given answers.

How frequently?

Packs only or individuals?

Price?

Right now I can only assume they're going to continue the groundwork laid by GH2/3 and I'm not digging it. In fact, it's really to the point that I'm thinking of skipping a GH purchase altogether - not because I'm a RB loyalist, but because they have an established platform that is frequently updated for reasonable prices with loads of library customization options.

I have intentionally not purchased Love Spreads by The Stone Roses on RB because of it's inclusion on the GH disc, but I really feel that RB will be my go-to game for parties anyway and that's a song I don't want to swap discs for.

They really need to put some of this to rest, assuming there's anything new to be said, because I don't mind two separate libraries if I know they're each going to grow their own ways and steadily.

Is anybody else starting to feel iffy on this title as we approach release?
Very valid concerns you have, imo. If I didn't already own RB2, I would be a lot more concerned about their DLC strategy, but then again, I am mostly purchasing WT because of some of the already announced songs, and the instruments (drums mainly).
Old 10-06-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On the GH forums they have started a 25 day countdown. Each day (started on 10/1) revealing something about new for GH:WT.

Today is reveal is:
Guitar Hero: World Tour will now allow you to create a setlist of up to six songs to play. This means instead of selecting one song, beating it, and then selecting another song; you will be able to select up to six songs to play. This should definitely come in handy for playing with multiple friends.
Previous days linkage:

Day 1 (10/1) - 85+ Master Tracks - Guitar Hero: World Tour is boasting a whole new tracklist, but this time around, it is over 85 master songs.

Day 2 (10/2) - Don't Wake the Neighbors - Guitar Hero: World Tour is sporting a super quiet drumset. They have also lowered the sound on the clicking of the guitar. This should keep you playing longer and keep either parents or neigbors happy.

Day 3 (10/3) - I am GOING TO ... GRRRRRR - Guitar Hero: World Tour will allow you change the difficulty dynamically. This feature is best utilized in the career mode where if a song is too hard you can drop down in the difficulty and still continue your career like nothing ever happened. This should definitely help ease some anger and hopefully save some TVs from breaking.

Day 4 (10/4) - Raing Blood Part 2? - Guitar Hero: World Tour new challenge seems to be Joe Satriani's Satch Boogie. Are you up for the challenge of Satch Boogie or do you think it will be another Raining Blood?

Day 5 (10/5) - Are You Ready for Death Magnetic? - Guitar Hero: World Tour will have the Death Magnetic DLC pack. If you enjoyed it on Guitar Hero III, how much do you think you will enjoy it on World Tour with the band aspect?
Old 10-06-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Sooo... 25 days of telling us shit we already know? Fabulous.
Old 10-06-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Still no word on achievements? No one has seen a leaked list?
Old 10-06-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sooo... 25 days of telling us shit we already know? Fabulous.
I didnt know that you could make a setlist now.

The first ones I expect to be non news. The later ones should be more revealing I hope.
Old 10-06-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Yeah, the 6 song set list has been known for a while. Decent(i.e. a step up from GHIII & RB1), but RB2 supports 99 I think. Six seems to be an odd cap since you can't even play a full album.

The first ones I expect to be non news. The later ones should be more revealing I hope.
I hope so. Keep us posted.
Old 10-06-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

99 song setlist? A bit unrealistic.

Six is a bit small. Maybe you can only pick six individual songs from the setlist?

Full albums may be a different option since they have not revealed exactly how that is going to work. You should have the option to choose a full album.
Old 10-06-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

99 song setlist? A bit unrealistic.
You don't have to go all the way to 99. 6 is just arbitrary and there's on technical reason to limit it there.

With 99 you can turn on No Fail + Performance + Vocal player only + No Crowd Volume and have your 360 play 99 random songs with a virtual band playing. Like a fancy jukebox.
Old 10-06-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was in my local Best Buy yesterday and they had the new guitar set up on the demo 360. It seemed nice. I didn't play a song, as they had GH:Aerosmith not GH:WT.

What is the area below the normal buttons supposed to be? At first I thought it was just an additional set of buttons like the RB guitar has, but it wasn't really buttons. It was color coded. Is this for doing slide or something?
Old 10-06-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes its used for the solos. Its a touch sensitive pad that allows you to tap notes like you can on a real guitar w/o strumming.
Old 10-06-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thelwig14
After Metallica being a pack only, I lowered any expectations I had for this release. If things are different, I will be surprised and excited.

Either way, I am still getting the big bundle. These instruments (based on history) are much better than RB.
What do you mean, a pack only? I thought there was going to be a full-on Metallica game?
Old 10-06-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
What do you mean, a pack only? I thought there was going to be a full-on Metallica game?

There will be a GH Metallica, but they also released Death Magnetic (latest album) as a whole pack with no option to download individual songs. Really, really disappointing. I can't imagine The Pixies or The Cars or any RB album with no ability to customize what you want to buy.

Still buying the bundle though.
Old 10-06-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah...didn't realize what you meant. Already bought that for GH3, since it's forward compatible.
Old 10-07-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Community Countdown Day 7: Come On Star Power! - Guitar Hero: World Tour will have a star power button right next to the strum bar. Playing that difficult song and need star power quick? Do not want to raise move the guitar in fear of messing up a FC? Star power button is here for your rescue.
Also on the RedOctane site new close ups of the foot pedal.

http://redoctane.us/storeblog/?p=107

Old 10-07-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unless that pedal is metal, it's gonna snap...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.