Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Guitar Hero World Tour - the one & only thread.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero World Tour - the one & only thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see what the problem is with covers. It's not like people posting these covers are making any money off of this shared content.
Old 09-29-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
I don't see what the problem is with covers. It's not like people posting these covers are making any money off of this shared content.
I agree. Plus they have zero vocals and are limited to 3 minutes. Pretty constricting.
Old 09-29-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
The problem is that copyright laws for music and audio recordings are absurd and Activision has to protect themselves.
Old 09-29-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have to say I was skeptical but the GHWT drums are awesome.

I played my first two songs on Hard and then just went straight to Expert and never looked back. Having cymbals and toms notated separately is just tons of fun and feels more realistic. Knowing that whenever you hit one of the pads it always sounds like a tom (or snare) is incredibly satisfying. The pedal is not as well constructed as the RB2 pedal (no metal reinforcement) and I personally didn't like the action as much, but I had no problem working with it...except for the fact that it slides around everywhere. I really wish there was a bar to attach the pedal to like the RB kits, that would be my biggest complaint. I tried to use the RB2 pedal with the GHWT kit but no go.

The pads are basically comparable in volume to the RB2 ones, but the GHWT pads make more of a deeper sounding thud...which I wouldn't necessarily call louder just different. The cymbals are more noisy than the pads, but probably still quieter than RB1 pads. I felt like I could hit the GHWT pads harder than I would on an RB/RB2 kit (and there are gems that you are supposed to hit harder than others in the game for more points). My RB2 kit seems to respond better if I don't hit the pads too hard, which I don't really mind but I have to admit bashing the crap out of the GHWT pads is pretty satisfying.

Playing the GHWT drums on Expert is the most satisfying drum experience I've had in a game yet. That doesn't mean that GHWT is a more fun/better game in general than RB2, though GHWT is certainly a fun game in its own right.

As far as using the GHWT drums in RB2, I did get to try that for a while (in Expert of course). For a lot of charts they were fun and worked quite well. For example I played Psycho Killer and got 99% with a 509 note streak. Certain RB2 charts were much more difficult for me to play on the GHWT kit. For example I tried to play the 'Drum Challenge' in BotB and got thru "We Got the Beat" ok (don't remember the score) but I could not pass Spoonman. Now, Spoonman is by no means one of the easiest Expert drum charts, but I had never failed it before except for the time I tried to do Expert/Expert drums and vox (LOL). I attempted Spoonman around 8 times and just couldn't get used to having to use the yellow cymbal pad in complex tom fills...it just makes it harder. I then went back and passed Spoonman again on the RB2 drums on my first try. If you aren't an Expert player you might not have this problem, and if you are a much better Expert player than me it might not be a problem for you at all, so YMMV.

I think as far as the drums go for me, the RB2 kit is going to remain the best for playing RB2, but I am definitely not going to pass up on playing the GHWT drums in GHWT because they are so damn much fun. Which means owning both kits of course...ugh.
Old 09-29-08, 09:53 PM

OK, I'll bite..........How is it that U R able to play GHWT and I can not!!!!

Regards,
1 jealous BASTARD!!!
Old 09-29-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by porieux
As far as using the GHWT drums in RB2, I did get to try that for a while (in Expert of course). For a lot of charts they were fun and worked quite well. For example I played Psycho Killer and got 99% with a 509 note streak. Certain RB2 charts were much more difficult for me to play on the GHWT kit. For example I tried to play the 'Drum Challenge' in BotB and got thru "We Got the Beat" ok (don't remember the score) but I could not pass Spoonman. Now, Spoonman is by no means one of the easiest Expert drum charts, but I had never failed it before except for the time I tried to do Expert/Expert drums and vox (LOL). I attempted Spoonman around 8 times and just couldn't get used to having to use the yellow cymbal pad in complex tom fills...it just makes it harder. I then went back and passed Spoonman again on the RB2 drums on my first try. If you aren't an Expert player you might not have this problem, and if you are a much better Expert player than me it might not be a problem for you at all, so YMMV.

I think as far as the drums go for me, the RB2 kit is going to remain the best for playing RB2, but I am definitely not going to pass up on playing the GHWT drums in GHWT because they are so damn much fun. Which means owning both kits of course...ugh.

Since there is an extra color in the GH drums how does that work with RB2? Does the pedal work even though it's the "purple" note? Thanks for the review, I'll probably wait for the GH drums.
Old 09-30-08, 01:38 AM

Yeah the pedal works in RB2. This is me playing with the GHWT kit:

My band is really holding me back LOL.

After playing a couple warmup songs I decided to tackle Crazy Train, which is one of the higher-tiered songs but super awesome fun to play.
Old 09-30-08, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hmmm... decisions. I sold my RB1 drums over the weekend and was getting ready to order the RB2 drums today. I'm only a medium drummer and doubt I'll get any higher.

Outside of the pedal how is the quality/construction of the drums by comparison?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-30-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by outcastja
Since there is an extra color in the GH drums how does that work with RB2? Does the pedal work even though it's the "purple" note? Thanks for the review, I'll probably wait for the GH drums.
I'd also like to know this.
Old 09-30-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by outcastja
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I'd also like to know this.
They've said in interviews that if you connect the RB drums the note chart will be condensed to remove the 5th color, probably orange and just make the purple kicks the orange, etc.
Old 09-30-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shumway
They've said in interviews that if you connect the RB drums the note chart will be condensed to remove the 5th color, probably orange and just make the purple kicks the orange, etc.
Yes, but the question here is the reverse - GH drums on RB2 game.
Old 09-30-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Guess I need to work on those reading comprehension skills.
Old 09-30-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the best bet is RB drums based on the fact that Neversoft is programming the game with them in mind. GH drums in RB seem to be a wildcard.
Old 09-30-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
GH drums in RB seem to be a wildcard.
Would love to know more about this. I have given up on any variation of RB drums after playing the new set at BB. It just doesn't do it for me.

I am GH drums or bust.

In addition, anyone have any first hand experience with the new GH guitar?
Old 09-30-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nah. Forget silly plastic drumsets.
Check out this awesome piece of drumming technology goodness!

Just need to figure out how to make this compatible with GH/RB now...

Awesomeness!
Old 09-30-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelkee
Nah. Forget silly plastic drumsets.
Check out this awesome piece of drumming technology goodness!

Just need to figure out how to make this compatible with GH/RB now...

Awesomeness!
That'll never work on the Wii.
Old 09-30-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chuckd21
That'll never work on the Wii.
Old 09-30-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was one size fits all?
Old 09-30-08, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242

I already answered this so I have no idea what the question is.
Old 09-30-08, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Hmmm... decisions. I sold my RB1 drums over the weekend and was getting ready to order the RB2 drums today. I'm only a medium drummer and doubt I'll get any higher.

Outside of the pedal how is the quality/construction of the drums by comparison?

Thanks for the feedback.
They seemed well made to me. I felt like I could pretty much hit them as hard as I wanted to with no worries (not ridiculously hard of course, which would make it harder to play anyway).
Old 09-30-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Is there an actual 'confirmed' track list yet?
Old 09-30-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Is there an actual 'confirmed' track list yet?
Indeed. It was announced a couple weeks ago.

http://kotaku.com/5049054/the-comple...-tour-set-list
Old 10-01-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This came out a day or so ago: http://buttonmasher.co.nz/2008/09/30...too-fing-hard/
Button Masher: There is a distinct difference between the way Harmonix did it in the past and the way NeverSoft is doing it now. I’m not saying it’s any worse, it is too hard for me to be honest.

Brian Bright: I agree, we made GH3 too hard.

BM: I know a lot of people that just caned GH3, I think it’s harder than GH2 but it’s not too hard obviously for some people. So you’re saying it was too hard?

BB: Yeah, it was too fucking hard. We made a conscious effort of GH Aerosmith and GH4 to kind of ramp the difficulty better. In GH3 you definitely hit a wall near the last tier on hard to expert.

BM: That’s exactly where I hit it.

BB: Yeah, too hard. A lot of that is chalked up to learning. Learning about the consumers and focus testing. In Aerosmith we made it much more linear, we devised a series of rules as to what constitutes a tier 6 hard song and what differentiates it from a tier 7 expert song, we came up with a rule set for this. In GH:WT we obviously have that same rule set, but we also have the ability to dial down the difficulty on any song, so if you hit a brick wall, which we don’t think you will, you can turn down the difficulty. I don’t think the guys artificially made things more difficult, we did have a few ScoreHero guys that were new on GH3 that were very good and may have note tracked some of the songs to their skill level. But in GH:WT you will see it is much more smooth, with a more even ramp, and it does get more difficult but hopefully you won’t hit that wall.
Old 10-01-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelkee
So what if someone makes a mashup of various familiar riffs from several songs with an original bridge linking the riffs somehow?
What are you, the GH4 Gregg Gillis?
Old 10-01-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
What are you, the GH4 Gregg Gillis?
Heh, no but I just wonder counts as an infringement?

How many notes can one copy before it starts to sound "too familiar" and flags go up and then copyright lawers get involved?

Its just completely bonkers now. You can't even sing "Happy Birthday" in public anymore.

Also lets say one does get permisson from the copyright holder to make a cover. How do you go about telling Act. that I have the authority to upload copyrighted materials to GHTunes?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.