Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Guitar Hero World Tour - the one & only thread.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Guitar Hero World Tour - the one & only thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
...Granted those Metallica songs may be longer than the average song, but I think I'd want to make sure I could store more than 50 DLC songs...
50 songs is alot and SD media is pretty cheap now. The other thing in the works is Nintendo's solution to the space issue. Whatever that turns out to be.

Hopefully its a USB Solid State drive.
Old 09-18-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelkee
50 songs is alot and SD media is pretty cheap now. The other thing in the works is Nintendo's solution to the space issue. Whatever that turns out to be.

Hopefully its a USB Solid State drive.
I have 52 RB songs downloaded in 8 months. It's not enough

Swapping SD cards for games wouldn't be a big deal, just like discs, however swapping SD cards for a single game would be a deal-breaker for me.

I wouldn't hold your breath for Nintendo solution, especially not by the time you start to approach your first 2gb limit.
Old 09-18-08, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Nope. On release day you can buy:

Game Only
Full Band Bundle
Guitar/Game bundle

but you can buy the Rock Band instruments separately and they will work.

Thanks...I was afraid of that as the above were the only items listed on Amazon.com.

I imagine they will probably release these in the future.
Old 09-18-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yet.

I've only bought a few covers (Rush being the big two, CCR & Black Crowes as well). Not sure if I'll replace them all, but I'll definitely double dip on Rush.

I'm not trying to rag on Harmonix as they've done a great job, I'm just giving Neversoft a fair shake since no one else will. I was just pointing out the fact that they have at least stuck with masters from day one and never wavered, thus no double-dipping. Sure, we aren't likely to see covers from HMX again, but they've already dipped their toes in that pool.

Also has Neversoft sunk to offering us a Locksley or All that Remains pack? They've mostly stuck to fairly big bands and have only dipped into the marketing pool with Def Leppard and Coldplay. I guess Dropkick Murphy's would apply but, yeah, that was free.
"Sunk to"? Personally, I think that's what makes Harmonix great, that they're NOT sticking only to big bands, and giving users out there a wide variety of music.
Old 09-19-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone seen what kind of achievements and rewards/goals and unlockables will be available in WT?
Old 09-19-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It'll cost you $800 to find out

No achievements posted for the 360 yet, though you can expect similar to GH:A (streaks, scores, 100%s, etc).

I doubt you'll see many "unlockables" other than songs, but there might be videos and/or behind-the-scenes stuff. Of course, outfits and instruments will also be locked from the outset.
Old 09-19-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It'll cost you $800 to find out
La...La...La...La...La...

No achievements posted for the 360 yet, though you can expect similar to GH:A (streaks, scores, 100%s, etc).
Needs more I think. More stats the better. More streaks. More rewards. More replay value.

Phrase bonuses, hammeron/pulloff bounses, solo bonuses, riff bonuses, freestyle bonuses, combo bonuses. There should be something added besides plain ol' stars/gold stars. Heck the game doesnt even tell you if you properly FC a song now.

How about phrase bonuses? FC a phrase and get a bonus. FC back to back phrases and get bonuses. FC multiple phrases in a song and get a bonus.

Chord streaks vs. single note streaks. Chord bonuses. Whammy bonuses. Bonus bonuses?

How about something that told you where you strumming too soon/late or fretting to fast or something like that on the breakdown page to help new players?

I doubt you'll see many "unlockables" other than songs, but there might be videos and/or behind-the-scenes stuff. Of course, outfits and instruments will also be locked from the outset.
There should be instrument powerups. Say you unlock a better set of strings and they add to your SP bonus. Or a better set of pickups or drums that boost your earnings by some factor.
Old 09-19-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So you're talking about scoring, mostly there, not necessarily achievements/trophies.

Part of what you're saying builds to 100% and streaks. You can't "FC a phrase", for example, as the term FC is meant for the entire song whereas a "phrase" is a measurable portion of the vocal track. You can't FC/100% the entire song without FC'ing back-to-back phrases by definition.
Old 09-19-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So you're talking about scoring, mostly there, not necessarily achievements/trophies.

Part of what you're saying builds to 100% and streaks. You can't "FC a phrase", for example, as the term FC is meant for the entire song whereas a "phrase" is a measurable portion of the vocal track. You can't FC/100% the entire song without FC'ing back-to-back phrases by definition.
True but some on screen graphic about sections would be nice.

What do you call sections of a chart? On the breakdown page each section is broken down. You should get some in-game recognition about successfully hitting every note on the section. I would call that "full combo-ing" a section.

So you should be able to get section bonuses for back to back sections or multiple sections you combo that are not back to back, and not have the only reward be a complete FC of the entire song.
Old 09-19-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't care much about the breakdown on the songs. You can only spread the achievement points so thin. GH3 was an epic failure in that regard. RB1 was hard, but fair. RB2 is mostly too easy, but there is a handful of difficult ones.

GH:WT will be closer to GH:A, as I said. You'll lose some of the "buy all the instruments/outfits/characters" since we're looking at custom characters now with tons of options and they'll add specific drum and vocal achievements.

Shouldn't be too much longer before they leak with only 5 weeks to go.
Old 09-19-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Shouldn't be too much longer before they leak with only 5 weeks to go.
and when did the RB2 achievements leak Mr. Smarty Pants? The day before release. So it could be five weeks before we see 'em.
Old 09-19-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and when did the RB2 achievements leak Mr. Smarty Pants? The day before release. So it could be five weeks before we see 'em.
How different are they from the ones IGN spilled weeks in advance, Mr. Alzheimer's Pants?
Old 09-19-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and when did the RB2 achievements leak Mr. Smarty Pants?
How different are they from the ones IGN spilled weeks in advance, Mr. Alzheimer's Pants?
Take it to eHarmony.com fellas.
Old 09-19-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Old 09-25-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its going to be sweet to be able to play 1v1 2v2 3v3 and 4v4 online finally.

1v1 is nice but being able to team up with family or friends will be nicer.

Anyone seen the online play and ranking/stats or how thats going to look and feel?
Old 09-25-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That would be awesome. If you do, can you maybe give us an idea of how RB1/2 work with non-RB drum peripherals? You don't have to specifically mention whose drums you were using
Old 09-25-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So, Sunday then?
Old 09-29-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No sharing of copyrighted songs:

From 1UP

1UP: Let me lay out a scenario for you. I get the game, and there's this awesome music creator, and I'm going to do the guitar track for "Stairway to Heaven." I'm going to make this. You know people are going to do that. And I make it, and I think it's awesome, and I play it, and I love it, and I'm like, "Other people are going to want to play this, so I'm going to upload it!" What happens when a guy like me wants to share his "Stairway to Heaven" guitar track with everyone else? Are you guys going to wait for someone to ask you take these things down? Or are you going to actively police that kind of thing?

BB: We'll be actively monitoring the site. And, obviously, if the copyright holder complains, Activision will pull it down immediately. We can't condone people putting up covers of music. It's really there for original content.
Old 09-29-08, 11:43 AM
Suspended

But since you can make any song you want for local play, is there any way to "share" songs with others (basically taking that created song and giving it to others to put on their HD somehow)? I'm guessing not on the 360 at least?
Old 09-29-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lordwow
No sharing of copyrighted songs:

... if the copyright holder complains, Activision will pull it down immediately....
That is the key phase there. Activision doesn't have time to check every song that is updoaded. I suspect they will wait for complaints before they do anything.
Old 09-29-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by edstein
That is the key phase there. Activision doesn't have time to check every song that is updoaded. I suspect they will wait for complaints before they do anything.
Read the rest:

1UP: So you'll have to play copyright Whac-a-Mole? That's something you're expecting?

BB: Essentially, yeah.

1UP: What if there are things no one complains about? Would you look the other way?

AG: If there's a licensed song and someone holds the copyright to it, we'll take it down regardless of whether or not someone complains.
Old 09-29-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a feeling that any upload will have a 24 hour turnaround before its published so they can verify if its legit or not. They cannot allow this to turn into a Napster-like disaster.
Old 09-29-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure the community will do a good job of indicating what is close-to-real as well. I mean, what good is it to upload something under some alias unless you go over to the GH or gamefaqs or whatever forums and say, "Hey, go check out my Sweet Child O' Mine cover called Summertime Frolic."

If something is being downloaded more than others, it'll raise flags too.
Old 09-29-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what if someone makes a mashup of various familiar riffs from several songs with an original bridge linking the riffs somehow?
Old 09-29-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kelkee
So what if someone makes a mashup of various familiar riffs from several songs with an original bridge linking the riffs somehow?
My guess would be multiple copyright infringement notifications bombarding Activision instead of just one

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.