Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Help Needed: What are some good Wii Games for 7 and under?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-13-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a Wii last week, our kids 7 and 4 really like it - we play almost all the included Wii Sports Games.

What are some other titles that Under 7 year old girls and or boys would like?

Any input is appreciated!
Old 08-13-08, 09:17 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I would recommend Boom Blox and Super Mario Galaxy. Wii Ski is good too if you want to invest in the balance board.
Old 08-13-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 6 and 7 year old girls like Wii Sports, Carnival Games and Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz. I had gotten it just after the now 6 year old had turned 5, and for a long time, all she played was Wii Sports.

They also like Super Paper Mario and Super Mario Galaxy, but not so much to play as to watch me play them.

Both of them often go back to our Gamecube to play Super Monkey Ball and Super Monkey Ball 2. IMO, the multiplayer games for the old Gamecube Monkey Ball games are much better than the Banana Blitz multiplayer games.
Old 08-13-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Boom Blox
Carnival Games
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Old 08-13-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

WiiPlay as well. Probably MLB Power Pros (there is a wii one, right?).

Also, there are any number of Gamecube games appropriate for children, that are wii compatible.
Old 08-13-08, 01:11 PM

My 4-year old son finished the Go Diego Go game in a few hours. The controls are really simple which involves tilting the Wiimote and moving it in a variety of positions. There's even an in-game tutorial to demonstrate the correct movement. I usually let him play and then watch the cartoon afterwards.
Old 08-13-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Rayman Raving Rabbids
FYI - I lent this to some friends who have a 6 and 8 year old and the "toilet humor" aspect of the game didn't go over well.

Skip Banana Blitz. The controls are crap. I have lent that out to several people and no one has liked it yet. Too frustrating.

MarioKart might work.
Old 08-14-08, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the input, I have found it's best to rent first at this age - so I'll check out some of the above. I was surprised the rental fee on games at Blockbuster was $7.50!
Old 08-14-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I second boom blox although some of the puzzles might be too hard. Which will leave him stuck.
Old 08-14-08, 08:04 AM

Doug, check out the deals forum over at CheapAssGamer.com, and look for the Toys R Us and Kmart Clearance threads. Both stores have been clearing out Gamecube stuff. The GC Super Monkey Ball has been floating around for less than $5.

Also, you may want to check out the used stores around NYC...I'm sure you can find a bevy of games for ~$10 and under. Also, gamestop has a pretty good selection of GC stuff used, normally, and they recently dropped their prices on them. You should be able to find at least a 10% off coupon, and subscribe to the newsletter, so you'll get their weekly % off coupons. Last GC one was for 25% off on up to 3 games!

One other thing - Fight Night 2003 for the gamecube (boxing) has the full Super Nintendo 'Super Punch Out!' on the disc, and it's fun for every age...that should be less than $5 right now too.
Old 08-14-08, 08:53 AM

My kids (5 and 8) really enjoy Wii Playground. The dodgeball game in it is a blast.
Old 08-14-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rfduncan
FYI - I lent this to some friends who have a 6 and 8 year old and the "toilet humor" aspect of the game didn't go over well.
With the parents or the kids? It's just dumb goofy fun.
Old 08-15-08, 07:27 PM

Speaking of the devil...25% off used coupon this weekend for Gamestop on Wii, GC, and DS games, up to 3 titles!

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/newnews/f...EBC3006210.jpg
Old 08-16-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I saw that. I may have to go get Diego since sikegard mentioned it being decent. There is one GS in the area that has it.
Old 08-16-08, 09:38 PM

Mario Kart for sure
Old 08-17-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by sikegrad
My 4-year old son finished the Go Diego Go game in a few hours. The controls are really simple which involves tilting the Wiimote and moving it in a variety of positions. There's even an in-game tutorial to demonstrate the correct movement. I usually let him play and then watch the cartoon afterwards.

I picked up the only used copy in town earlier today (used the 25% off to get it under $20). My daughter(just turned 4) has picked it up pretty quick and is loving it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan
Thanks for the input, I have found it's best to rent first at this age - so I'll check out some of the above. I was surprised the rental fee on games at Blockbuster was $7.50!
Do you have a Family Video near you? I haven't used them for games yet, but I did notice they have a three tier program for games. This is a guess but it was something like $3 for one night, $5 for two nights and $7 for five days. Might be worth looking into for these kids rentals.
Old 08-18-08, 09:03 AM

95% of them!
Old 08-19-08, 01:08 PM

I have to agree, the Go Diego game is a hit with the 5 yr old,and the 7 yr old likes it too.

Boom blox is somewhat advanced for a just turned 5 year old, but is perfect for the 7 yr old (and Dad too!).
Old 08-19-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My daughter likes Boom Blox, but she's having the damnedest time figuring out pointing the Wiimote. Once she get's the cursor on the screen she's fine, she steadies her hand and points at what she wants to hit(usually one of the creatures). It's just that initial finding the cursor that is a problem.

I tend to set her up so that the block she knocks out will send the whole tower down. Plus it usually gives her the win, which activates the win sound effect from the Wiimote. She gets a kick out of that.