Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Favre on Madden 09 cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't this thread supposed to be about Favre being on the cover? Looks like we have a lot of thread crappers here!
Old 08-18-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We probably need a dedicated Madden 09 thread.
Old 08-19-08, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had lots of freezing issues.

If you want to DL the roster update, just sign into the online portion and it will update. They will update the rosters again after final cuts.
Old 08-19-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Well, I picked it up on a whim, since I have been missing the online competition I enjoyed since 2K5. I already noticed one person exploiting a glitch where he snapped it directly to his wide receiver. He seemed like he played normal otherwise, but I questioned how that was possible in real football, and he got all defensive.

Overall, I'm not impressed. Does it take getting used to? I don't know why it's so difficult to cycle through players on defense. I can never see who I'm picking. That's really crucial since I don't like controlling linemen. I miss having to rapidly press a button for turbo. It doesn't feel like I go any faster holding down the trigger.

Basically, I suck at this game. I don't know if it's my lack of experience or that I'm trying to play this like I played 2K5. I don't feel like I have full control of the players. I also find it very frustrating having to make adjustments on defense. It felt very natural to me in 2K5, but here it doesn't seem to make as much sense.

Oh well, I'm going to keep trying, but I am getting my ass handed to me online. If anyone sees me online feel free to send me an invite. I can boost your rankings. Scorpy Gkar is my Live name.

Oh, if anyone was a big 2K5 fan, and has tips on how to adjust over that would be really appreciated.
Old 08-19-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Basically, I suck at this game. I don't know if it's my lack of experience or that I'm trying to play this like I played 2K5. I don't feel like I have full control of the players. I also find it very frustrating having to make adjustments on defense.
I think you just need to put more time into it. Practice and also this site has some good tutorials ...

http://www.sportsgamer.com/madden_09/training_camp/
Old 08-19-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, the hitting still sucks. I get no sense of impact like I did in 2K5. I feel like I tackle people by luck, and I don't feel like using the juke stick is responsive at all. At least in 2K5, if I tried to juke, the person would make the motion, even if I got tackled. Here, I feel like I hit it, and nothing happens half the time. Are you supposed to hit it earlier? Later? I don't know. I have played about 12 games online, and I am not enjoying myself.
Old 08-19-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I think I'm done with the whole user iq thing... getting a higher "IQ" seems to just make my players dumber (dropped passes, missed blocks, etc.), when it should be making the opponents smarter instead.

Also, is it just me or is it really, really hard to run the ball, even with an elite back? I try to mix up my play calling, and I can pass the ball fine, but I'm lucky if I get over 50 yards in a game rushing. I don't remember having this kind of trouble in past years.
Old 08-19-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I suck equally in both. I don't know why my receivers are never open. I throw an ungodly amount of interceptions.
Old 08-19-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I think I'm done with the whole user iq thing... getting a higher "IQ" seems to just make my players dumber (dropped passes, missed blocks, etc.), when it should be making the opponents smarter instead.

Also, is it just me or is it really, really hard to run the ball, even with an elite back? I try to mix up my play calling, and I can pass the ball fine, but I'm lucky if I get over 50 yards in a game rushing. I don't remember having this kind of trouble in past years.

Yeah, running the ball is fairly tough, even on lower difficulty levels for me. I'm playing on All-Pro (with the IQ meter having maxxed on run offense up to the all-madden line) and i've only managed one game with over 100 yards. However, it feels like the running game is a bit more realistic with my yards per carry at about 4. Problem is that translates to a lot of carries of 3 and 4 yards which makes the game a bit slow. Most of games are lucky to break 20 points for one team (and i'm 13-0 in my season).

I played one game on Rookie (winning 78-7) and while passing became a breeze, rushing was still a bit tough.
Old 08-19-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The difference between rookie and pro is too great, imho. On Rookie we ran up and down the field with LT... granted, he's the best back in the league, but pretty much every run to the outside resulted in a touchdown. he had a 93 yard touchdown, where he actually got the ball in the endzone because it was a shotgun run.

Of course, very few runs on the inside resulted in much, though I did get a few 10 + yard gains.

On pro, I can't run at all.
Old 08-19-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, in the long run, I think it may encourage players to play worse in order to make the game not so hard. Why get your IQ up too high when it's just going to make your team lose to another that's ranked 10-20 points lower than you?

I'm playing the Chargers w/ LT and I'm lucky to get 50 yards per game.
Old 08-20-08, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
What difficulties are you guys playing at?
Old 08-20-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have really only played online, and running has been pretty tough. However I do get some good games. However the caliber of player is pretty hit or miss. I have run into a bunch of people who love to exploit glitches. Are you guys ever going to be playing this online? If I'm going to lose, I at least want to lose to someone who plays fair.
Old 08-22-08, 04:29 AM

i'm down.. i play a fair game, and i don't take off if i'm loosing... and yea it is tough to run, but at least you can run after the catch of a punt.. i remember you had to fair catch it or you would fumle.

when you guys are on defense what player do you guys like to control? I like to use the linemen, i play with the chargers and i'll use castillo or williams.
Old 09-01-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lobbies in this game suck. If someone challenges you how do you see their lag? They disappear from the room to challenge you.
Old 09-16-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So being without XBOX Live until I can get internet installed in my new apartment, I dived right into franchise mode. Does anyone know what's up with the player progression on this?? None of my players seem to progress at all. I kind of can get them to if I do all the training before each game, but there doesn't seem to be any progression as the season goes or at the end of the season either way, younger players will not really have their OVR ratings go up and all and even the other way too, older players will not go down as they get older. It's really killing franchise mode for me and it's too bad because the game play is really fun.
Old 09-16-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
there doesn't seem to be any progression as the season goes or at the end of the season
Well, if you're using the Lions as your franchise I'd say it's pretty accurate

Sorry, couldn't help myself. It just seems that for as much "innovation" as EA puts into their yearly sports franchises, they don't get the little things right. Whether it's statistics, player progression or in-game logic they miss the boat by thismuch year after year.
Old 09-16-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I never really understood the workout thing... do the bonuses stay with your player, or do they only affect him for that week?

Also, I have no idea why they don't work on the presentation a bit. I know that's secondary to gameplay, but they should at least have some kind of sportscenter recap every week. They seemed to spend a bunch of time drawing the outside of each stadium, but they could have easily used a photo for that, I don't really see that being used outside of the start of each game.
Old 09-16-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never really understood the workout thing... do the bonuses stay with your player, or do they only affect him for that week?

They stay with your player but you can only work them out 5 times during the course of a season so you pretty much have to do it on All Madden every time if you want to actually see any real progression unless they are pretty close to unlocking a particular weapon category, like I was able to make Cory Redding a "Power Move D-Lineman" by the third game of the season in my franchise.

yeah yeah laugh it up a franchise with the Lions, but at least this way I can actually do the draft and the off season right. Sometimes I think I anyone who plays Madden franchise would be better qualified to run the team then Millen!
Old 09-17-08, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
What difficulties are you guys playing at?
I only play on the all madden setting.
Old 09-17-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone run into cheaters who direct snap the ball to wide receivers? I really can't stand people who don't play a real football game. Hey, let's go for it on 4th and 5 on your own 30. That's realistic.
Old 09-17-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Anyone run into cheaters who direct snap the ball to wide receivers? I really can't stand people who don't play a real football game. Hey, let's go for it on 4th and 5 on your own 30. That's realistic.
I don't know if it's out yet or not, but they are fixing the direct snap cheat (among other things) in a patch.
Old 09-17-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Those people are the only ones who I have reported to Live. I can deal with people who go for it on every fourth. I can deal with people who run up the score on my shitty Madden newb ass. I can deal with people who no-huddle and use the same 3 plays with the Cowboys that apparently can't be stopped. I cannot deal with cheating like that. It's a guaranteed 4 yards at least 99% of the time.
Old 09-22-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new patch will be released late tonight or tomorrow for anyone interested.
Old 09-22-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are they going to add the seemingly unstoppable "direct snap to Ronnie Brown?" I wonder if they're going to make that into a Madden challenge next year... score five tds with Ronnie Brown, including a passing TD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.