Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Xbox 360 Thread - Part XII

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I read that rumor earlier this morning. Seems kind of stupid to introduce the 60 GB 360 at $349 and then drop it a month later.
i agree. this makes no sense.
Old 08-01-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by kms_md
i agree. this makes no sense.
unless of course you have been getting trounced by the competition for 4-5 months straight.
Old 08-01-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did anyone see their vision with the new Live experience from E3? They're going casual/social. Undercut the Wii is part of the plan.

But I do agree that the 60gb shouldn't be coming in at $350 for a limited special pricing period.
Old 08-02-08, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was already to buy a new 60gb version within the next week or so, but because of this rumor I am just gonna wait a little longer.
Old 08-02-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those that don't read speedy's weekly deal posts the 1600 points cards will be 14.99 at Target 8/10-8/16
Old 08-02-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Excellent! Now to find another $10 off coupon for each
Old 08-02-08, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1998Nole
I was already to buy a new 60gb version within the next week or so, but because of this rumor I am just gonna wait a little longer.
I was gonna go out and buy one too... i've been waiting, now i think i'm going to wait a little bit longer... If i buy it at best buy or circuit city would i get that price guarantee for 30 days on the x box? I was hoping to get it when the new maddeen comes out.
Old 08-03-08, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by pinata242
Excellent! Now to find another $10 off coupon for each

I just noticed the other day there are corporate printed signs at every register with pictures of the $5 off $25 sign saying they won't take them do to fraudulent use.

People must have hit those coupons hard for them to go to that extreme.
Old 08-03-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
For those that don't read speedy's weekly deal posts the 1600 points cards will be 14.99 at Target 8/10-8/16
Sweet! Thanks for this. I haven't checked CAG in awhile and I've been meaning to get bomberman and a couple other titles.
Old 08-03-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sergtv
I was gonna go out and buy one too... i've been waiting, now i think i'm going to wait a little bit longer... If i buy it at best buy or circuit city would i get that price guarantee for 30 days on the x box? I was hoping to get it when the new maddeen comes out.
Also if you don't want to wait that long and want MAdden a lot of places are doing gift card deals when you buy both
Old 08-03-08, 03:25 PM
Suspended

My 360 started giving me disc read errors this morning, first signs of trouble since I bought it late last August, but it's been working fine since. The 3 year warranty won't cover a disc read issue, will it? Should I just send it in so I don't have to worry about it after my 1 year anniversary?
Old 08-03-08, 07:55 PM

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/08...t-on-sept-7th/

Proof: $199 360 Arcade and a price cut on Sept 7th
Posted Aug 3rd 2008 6:00PM by Dustin Burg

Adding proof to Ars Technia's report that sometime this September Microsoft will be price cutting all Xbox 360 SKUs, the VGChartz.com crew posted their own insider price cut evidence. VGChartz.com was sent the image above which was taken from a retailer's computer data base showing that, come this September 7th, a $199 Xbox 360 Arcade price point will be in full effect. Delicious!

So, more proof that the first week of September we'll be treated to $199 Arcades, $299 Pros and $399 Elites or just a mean hoax? We say there's a good price cutting chance, but we'll have to practice our patience skills for one more month.

[Thanks, Andrew Laychak]
Chris
Old 08-03-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I received an E 68 System Error message earlier this evening when I powered on my 360. I just powered OFF and back ON again. Everything seems fine now. I only had a single quad (lower right) blinking RED. Could this be a precursor to another RRoD? This is my 2nd 360. I had the RRoD back in February and they sent me a replacement -- different serial number on back.
Old 08-04-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
I don't remember seeing these up before, so...

The Demos for Alone In The Dark and WALL*E are available.
Old 08-04-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I just noticed the other day there are corporate printed signs at every register with pictures of the $5 off $25 sign saying they won't take them do to fraudulent use.

People must have hit those coupons hard for them to go to that extreme.

Target put those signs up about a month ago. Some idiots, realizing that the actual code didn't have any restrictions, digitally modified the coupon to get rid of the picture and the text about toys. When we saw the signs at the store, my wife mentioned that her friend had given her some of the modified coupons a week or so ago, and she's one of the least tech-savvy people around, so it made it's way everywhere.
Old 08-04-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

See, I understand blocking the fraudulent uses like that, but not the legitimate ones. They're Web coupons, after all, where you can reprint as many times as you want. If they wanted to stem the flow, they'd implement unique codes and registered users.
Old 08-04-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm all for taking advantage of a coupon (I did use the $10 off one) but not if someone photoshops them. That's definitely fraud, I wouldn't even attempt to use one of those.
Old 08-04-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Agreed. I have no problem printing off the printable coupons and using the crap out of them, but I'm amazed and saddened at how many people think defacing them and creating counterfeit/fraudulent copies is ok....anything from changing/deleting the expiry, to actually changing the terms of the coupon. And most of them then throw a fit when they're denied.
I used 1 10-off one on a game, and a couple of the 5-off ones for points cards when they were on sale last time.
My SuperTarget had the signs at the registers too.
Of course, the coupon's not quite as much of a deal with the alleged/apparent increase in point costs for XBLA games....

I highly doubt Nintendo will drop the price of the Wii anytime soon. They don't need to. I *still* have only seen one Wii in the wild, and I've never seen Mario Kart Wii or Wii Fit. I have no problem with MS trying to capture some of the 'family' market (as long as they don't start approving tons of minigame collection and bad movie tie ins), but I'd like to see them approach it a different way, maybe trying to grab the parents (ok, the dads) who bought their little kids a Wii. "Don't you deserve your own game system?" Or going for the older kid/younger adult demographic, kids who are say, 8-12 or 15, and their parents. I'm actually surprised they haven't been plugging the XBLA more, for that demographic. I think a great console pack-in would be a 1600 points card.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 08-04-08 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure if this is the correct place - also when I serach there is just too many threads to find my answer.

I finally connected my 360 to the internet in order to get a couple of patches that are out. When I first logged on I assume the first d/l asked was for the dashboard update.

I looked all around and could not find the patch I was looking for. Is there a place I am missing? Did it do it auto. from what is in my game library? How do I know if it ever came through?

I know silly questions but I am just lost
Old 08-05-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you're talking about game patches, they'll occur when you start the game when you're connected to Live. It'll tell you there's an update and it is required to play while on Live.

Once it is updated, you have no way to know that it was patched as there's no way to see your game patches like that. You can't target specific patches to remove once you're done with a game
Old 08-05-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're talking about game patches, they'll occur when you start the game when you're connected to Live. It'll tell you there's an update and it is required to play while on Live.

Once it is updated, you have no way to know that it was patched as there's no way to see your game patches like that. You can't target specific patches to remove once you're done with a game
So if the game is in it will get the patch on it's own ... all it asked was some generic question if I want to update now.

Wow, I wish there was a way (or knew how) to at least view if a patch was added or not. I agree
Old 08-05-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Flashback
So if the game is in it will get the patch on it's own ... all it asked was some generic question if I want to update now.
No way to know. When you boot the dash, it'll check for its own update. When you boot a game, it checks for its own update.

I think those questions look the same, but it may differentiate between the dashboard and the game in the message.

Does your system boot into the dashboard or directly into the game in the drive?
Old 08-05-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Flashback == Ocelot?!?
Old 08-05-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm all for taking advantage of a coupon (I did use the $10 off one) but not if someone photoshops them. That's definitely fraud, I wouldn't even attempt to use one of those.
Too bad they couldn't just instruct their cashiers to only allow it on games/toys.

I know we had something similar happen at a store I once worked at, and instead of doing that, they just banned all printed coupons.
Old 08-05-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No way to know. When you boot the dash, it'll check for its own update. When you boot a game, it checks for its own update.

I think those questions look the same, but it may differentiate between the dashboard and the game in the message.

Does your system boot into the dashboard or directly into the game in the drive?
Well, now that I think about it since I was spending more time creating the connection I now remember booting to dash. Shut down went back down and put a game in. Asked again - but what got me was that it never really told me it was for the game. Sounds like what you are all saying that it probabl was - took about 2 seconds.

Liver - that went over my head

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.