Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nhl 09

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am doing the offline BAP mode right now. Created an Offensive D-man and am with the New Jersey Devils. Started off the season with the farm team Lowell and have 14 pts in 12 games. Just got word that I got called up to the big club in NJ.

Loving this game so far.
Old 09-11-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im just doing BAP with Vanek of the Sabres and started out hot but now i cant score to save my life.Picked a fight with Boogaard of the Wild and knocked him out so thats pretty realistic Got an achievement for it too
Old 09-11-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stick lifting is nifty, but goes on WAYYYY too much for my liking. Being that I attend 40+ games a year in real life, I don't see it happen as often as it did in the few games I played of '09 here. The CPU just lifts your stick as soon as you touch the puck on all-star...
Old 09-11-08, 11:17 PM

Up with the NJ Devils, played 12 games and only 3 points. A long ways from my 12 games, 14 pts with the farm club. But hey, I'm only 20
Old 09-12-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts
Literally just picked this up for the 360. Can't wait to play.
Old 09-12-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
The stick lifting is nifty, but goes on WAYYYY too much for my liking. Being that I attend 40+ games a year in real life, I don't see it happen as often as it did in the few games I played of '09 here. The CPU just lifts your stick as soon as you touch the puck on all-star...
Is the frequency possibly configurable? I know that the previous NHL games definitely had a lot of configuration options as far as the AI goes.
Old 09-12-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

< dad mode > Keep your stick down, you can't get a pass when it's always in the air! *smack < /dad mode>
Old 09-12-08, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn
Is the frequency possibly configurable? I know that the previous NHL games definitely had a lot of configuration options as far as the AI goes.
Nothing specific for stick lifting...just the puck control slider from last year.

I'm sure there will be some tweaking necessary, as there has been the past 2 years.
Old 09-12-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Canadiens alltime team sure is awesome and cool to see the guys out there without helmets old school style.Wish there was more teams like this to play as (would be nice for DLC even) and as someone mentioned would be cool to have past great Stanley Cup winning teams.

Loving the game
Old 09-13-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I played some exhibition today. Having not played 2008 the controls take some getting used to. I was the Wings vs. the Capitals and ended up getting shut out 3-0 on Pro level. I had a couple of good chances to score but couldn't find the twine. Is scoring just a matter of getting the controls down? Are you guys actually able to setup in the offense and rotate the puck around?

I noticed a ton of stick lifting too -- it really screwed up my one timers. I also had 3 penalties and the cpu had none

I definitely dig this game but I hope I can score soon or I'm going to lose interest.
Old 09-14-08, 09:10 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Played a game of 6 on 6 (with 12 real people) yesterday at my brother's...pretty fun. I didn't have a headset on, so not sure how much anybody was communicating, but I could see how it'd really be a blast if you got the same group of guys playing together.

One thing I noticed...all of you who grew up playing hockey know how important it is on youth teams to have some of your smarter and more talented players on D, both to control things defensively in your own end and to start the offense up the ice...it's just the same way in massive MP games. I was right wing, and our D-men were so inept it was funny. If you have good players on D, it's going to make it a lot easier so forwards don't have to come down and help out.

I'll probably pick it up tomorrow when I get RB2.

Oh, we played the entire game without a hiccup in the connection, so that was nice for a change.
Old 09-14-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I played some team matches today and it was really smooth connection wise.Hockeywise it wasnt always so pretty especially when im on defense or the one game i didnt use the lock feature so i ended up controlling the 3 non human skaters on my team although we won that game 7-0 Between the Be a Pro single player and the team multiplayer its gonna be hard to get NHL 09 outta my 360 anytime soon

Love to play some dvdtalkers sometime
Old 09-14-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have to say, I wasn't really looking forward to the Be A Pro mode at all, but that was the first thing I tried and it is a blast. I am completely digging everything about it, and can only imagine the immersion will only get better in the years to come.

I do wish there were more camera options. It would especially be cool if when it goes to the off ice camera if you could actually have some control over the camera. Being able to look wherever you want, and even possibly some limited mobility (standing up, leaning forward, etc) would be really, really, cool I think.

Anyone else who started on the Lowell Devil's notice the center men ALWAYS seem to lose on the face off? I mean, like 95% of the time it seems.

Last edited by flashburn; 09-14-08 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 01:34 PM

Flashburn: I started out with the Devils franchise and noticed our face off winning % was pretty low. 25-30% I think. Once I got up to NJ, it's much better.
Old 09-15-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well that is good to know it doesn't continue on to Jersey. I'm about ready to switch to Center just to win some damn face offs.
Old 09-15-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do you lock a player in online team play? Every time i play i end up controlling all the non user skaters and its very confusing
Old 09-16-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked this up based on all the recommendations from this thread and played it a little last night. I think it's my first hockey game since the PS1 and I had a good time just messing around with it. I'm going to have to figure out some of the basics of the sport though before I go too much further into it.
Old 09-16-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok i figured out how to lock a position in online team play.Damn im slow sometimes
Old 09-17-08, 12:45 PM

I upgraded to the 80GB PS3 and bought Madden 09 and NHL 09 so I played a game and a shootout online with a buddy the other night and I like the game. I'm still sticking with the "classic" controls, though. The Goalies seem a lot smarter, the hitting looks more impressive and the online lobbies don't freeze on you like they did in last year's game. After you send/accept an invite it still takes a few seconds before you can start picking your team, but it doesn't freeze thankfully. The only thing I don't know how to do is play a shootout online. I played one against my friend but that's only because I sent him an invite in the leader boards section and it started as a shootout.

The only really complaint I have with the PS3 version of the game is that it is in 720p. I'm really hoping next year we will see NHL for the PS3 released in 1080p like the 360 has been getting.
Old 09-18-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got the call up to Montreal after leading the Hamilton Bulldogs in scoring(despite our team's crappy record) and had a goal,an assist and won a fight in my NHL debut in a 5-2 win over the Sens
Old 09-18-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm absolutely loving the BAP mode. I'm a right winger for my hometown Wings and leading the Grand Rapid Griffins in scoring right now with 9 points in three games.

I can't wait to get online and play 6 on 6.
Old 09-18-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 309 Posts
You guys are convincing me, I think I'll pick this up this weekend.
Old 09-18-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just had my best online team game.Playing LW for the Red Wings and had 4 goals(3 as Zetterberg) and an assist in a 5-0 win over the Flyers
Old 09-19-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My BAP is a defensive defensive for the Penguins. I get too excited about checking everyone because I ramped up my checking/acceleration skills that I forget to hang back sometimes... and when I do, I always get burned. This mode is really great for teaching positioning. Especially for those who didn't play hockey or don't really watch enough of the NHL to get an idea how they're supposed to play. I hope some of the guys playing online are paying attention so that they stop playing 6-year old soccer strategy.
Old 09-19-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope to get my 360 back today so I can play some NHL 09...still sitting on my shelf...grrr.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.