Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mega Man 9 coming to WiiWare!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it only cost $500 they'd be making a ton of them every single month since they would be able to make so much off of them. It would be like a never ending money machine for Capcom.

Anyway, I bought it earlier tonight and...well, it's an instant blast to the past. It's like I went back to the late 80's or early 90's and my mom and dad bought me the latest Mega Man game for the NES. Either that, or it's like I found a long lost Mega Man game at a yard sale, whatever.

This is so good, so perfect. I totally miss games like this, even if my skill level for games like this isn't what it used to be since I haven't consistently played games of this sort in many years. I even had trouble with the Galaxy Man stage and boss fight, at least until I got the hang of it. Heck, I got the "kill 100 enemies" achievement, or whatever it's called, before I even beat the Galaxy Man stage.

There's really not much more to say about the game itself. It's a classic Mega Man game through and through from what I've seen so far. Now just give me more please. Either more Mega Man, or more "classic" NES and SNES type games.

Old 09-23-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
I Now just give me more please. Either more Mega Man, or more "classic" NES and SNES type games.

I've always wished that they'd kept making SNES games even up to today. It's still my favorite system of all time and I love and miss the style of game that the SNES had (good looking 2D's in every genre).

I hope the success of MM9 can bring more of this type of revival. I'd especially love a new StarTropics game (more like the first, not the second).
Old 09-23-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha, StarTropics is one of the games that I actually had in mind. Give me a new ST game, something along the lines of Crystalis, and more.
Old 09-23-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
The disappearing blocks on Sparkman's stage are brutal. I got through the first couple sections without a hitch then it gets crazy.

Haven't beaten any other bosses yet but I can say that:

Concrete Man: Mega Buster and Black Hole do not work on him, at least effectively.
Old 09-23-08, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's funny how Capcom was getting ripped back in the day for dumping Mega Man after Mega Man game on the NES, and now people are begging for them to do it again.

That said, Capcom should do it as long as it brings in the bucks.
Old 09-24-08, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bee_01
It's funny how Capcom was getting ripped back in the day for dumping Mega Man after Mega Man game on the NES, and now people are begging for them to do it again.

That said, Capcom should do it as long as it brings in the bucks.
When they release a decade of shit sequels, it's easy to long for the days of yore.
Old 09-24-08, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by cartman
I've always wished that they'd kept making SNES games even up to today. It's still my favorite system of all time and I love and miss the style of game that the SNES had (good looking 2D's in every genre).
I hope you got Wario World Shake It for your Wii then, because that's exactly what it is.
Old 09-24-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
F**k this game is tough! Fun, but damn I wish there was an option for difficulty levels.
Old 09-24-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go and play Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

Any difficulty complaints should cease after that.
Old 09-24-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Totally agree with that, that game pisses me off in 2min flat.
Old 09-24-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my mind I have actually beaten SGG on SNES when it was first released. My cousin and I rented it and wasted a weekend playing thru it.

When the game started over after beating the final boss, ... well I havent played it since.

So the Mega Man series is not so tough afterwards. You just have to get used to the punishment, frustration, and the growing sense of relief that you may feel by zinging your controller thru your TV set.
Old 09-24-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I can guarantee you that this game cost more than $500, $900, or $5000. Maybe more like $150,000.
I could imagine if it only cost $500, that would be like 15 developers spending 1 hour on it .
Old 09-24-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by steebo777
F**k this game is tough! Fun, but damn I wish there was an option for difficulty levels.
There is. For an extra couple hundred points you can download two more difficulty levels. Ass-hard and insane.
Old 09-24-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know why some would complain about the difficulty, but come on, this is Mega Man. The difficulty is part of what makes the series so great.
Old 09-24-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I don't think it's much more difficult than previous games, it's that we haven't been used to this type of gaming in a long time. Couple that with the fact that you are in the dark on a boss path and weapon knowledge and it makes it seem harder than it is.
Old 09-24-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Haven't beaten any other bosses yet but I can say that:

Concrete Man: Mega Buster and Black Hole do not work on him, at least effectively.
Now that's funny. My first instinct once I got the Black Hole Bomb was to go after Concrete Man. I made it to him but couldn't beat him either. I'd say great minds think alike, but we were both wrong.

I haven't made it up to any other bosses, but I have some ideas on who to go after next. Much of the fun of these games is figuring out which weapon works on which boss, so maybe we should use spoiler tags for any explicit "Weapon X works on Boss Y!" info?

And I agree, the Plug Man disappearing blocks are certainly a pain in the ass. The major problem is that you have to rely on trial and error, which can be frustrating when the checkpoints are few and far between. Still, it wouldn't be a Mega Man game if it wasn't a challenge.

Last edited by UncleGramps; 09-24-08 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-24-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ice beats Fire! Thunder beats Ice! Scissors beat... Thunder?
Old 09-24-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The invisible floors are annoying for trial and error, but I noticed that they are quite easy to distinguish when you come to them. I think it was Plug Man's stage, but
Spoiler:
you have a pattern on the floor where each block looks like :: with an inner bevel to them. The invisible tiles will have an outer bevel.
Old 09-24-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleGramps
The major problem is that you have to rely on trial and error, which can be frustrating when the checkpoints are few and far between. Still, it wouldn't be a Mega Man game if it wasn't a challenge.
I replayed some of the older ones, and their checkpoints weren't nearly as annoying as there are in this new one.
Old 09-24-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Ice beats Fire! Thunder beats Ice! Scissors beat... Thunder?
Yeah, some of the weapon/boss combinations in past games were a bit odd. Shouldn't fire melt ice instead of ice beating fire? Does water put out fire, or does fire vaporize water? And what do leaves beat?
Old 09-25-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
I'm loving this game! I've only been able to get past the second boss/level, but man is it satisfying when you finally beat a robot master

The challenge of beating the game without taking damage is something that seems utterly impossible to obtain. But I think theres a method. At the shop you can buy a power up that takes half damage off the enemy. If the player were to finish the game multiple times it just comes down to memorizatrion and an extremely slow pace. Plus there are youtube playthroughs one can watch and study carefully.
Old 09-26-08, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
I hope you got Wario World Shake It for your Wii then, because that's exactly what it is.
yeah, that has been my 2nd favorite wii game, right behind mario galaxy
Old 09-28-08, 08:22 PM

So I played for several hours this weekend and was finally able to get through the initial eight levels. I'll be the first to admit that I used IGN's walkthrough guide to figure out the best order to tackle the bosses. After several failed attempts, I just didn't have the patience anymore with the trial and error method. (What the heck did we do before the internet?)

One of the biggest things that helped me was purchasing a few E Tanks from the item shop before starting each level. It doesn't make the levels any easier, but it gives you a second chance when you get to the boss at the end of a level.

Wily's castle seems insanely hard from what I've played so far. I'm trying to get through it on my own though and not rely on IGN too much.
Old 09-28-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You know, the E tank idea is a great one now that you mention it. You can use them to get through the stage, and test your weapons on the boss to see what works & what doesn't. Once you figure it out, just reload the last save prior to loading that level and using them. Of course you have to do the level again as well as the boss, but sounds like a good way to get through the game.
Old 09-29-08, 12:06 AM

I'm down to my last boss before Wily (Hornet Man). The hardest stage so far for me was Tornado Man.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.